Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC for my son

Options
  • 05-12-2019 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm planning to build up gaming rig for my son. I've ordered Cooler Master MasterCase H500 already, but need some help with the rest

1. What is your budget? [€600]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No as I don't have it)

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] 24" FHD [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse -I might organize myself with a bit of help of boardies users]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [I will do my best to have it ready for Christmas]

I was thinking to stick with Intel Core i5 8th generation, but to cut a cost I will go for AMD Ryzen processors, I was planning to get 2x8GB DDR4 RAM, 4GB (or 8GB) graphic card, MSI/Gigabyte/Asus motherboard (with RGB/illumination), 256GB 2.5" ssd drive and 2TB 3.5" hard disk drive. Also power supply-750W??

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

I know someone else would be better placed to advise you but if you look through the other treads there are plenty of similar spec builds.

The rysen 5 2600 gets good comments for its bang for buck.
    You probably shouldn't need that high a psu either.
    Not sure about the HDDs as the price of SSDs is pretty good. Saw a good few 1tb ssds for sub 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Quick update:

Few days back Cooler MasterCase H500 has been delivered and now I'm waiting for MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC motherboard to be delivered as well.
    Question here: does Corsair RM850 Gold would be good option to go for? Will it fit into case?

Thanks

On a Cooler Mastercase website it says Clearance - PSU 180mm/7.1" , what Clearance means?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PSU Clearance: maximum length of PSU that will fit.
    RTFM

No you don't need an premium RM850 Gold - most systems will struggle to draw more than 450W.
    Something like this Bitfenix Formula Gold is more than sufficient at 2/3rds the price.

Can you please update us on what parts you have left to buy & your remaining budget?
    That case & motherboard look like they'd have taken a decent chunk out of the €600.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PSU Clearance: maximum length of PSU that will fit.
    RTFM

No you don't need an premium RM850 Gold - most systems will struggle to draw more than 450W.
    Something like this Bitfenix Formula Gold is more than sufficient at 2/3rds the price.

Can you please update us on what parts you have left to buy & your remaining budget?
    That case & motherboard look like they'd have taken a decent chunk out of the €600.
    I'm still in need of CPU, RAM, graphic card and power supply. I don't know yet about remaining budget, buying some stuff when I get a discount. What you mean by "most systems will struggle to draw more than 450W". 850W would be to much?? The guy on adverts looking for around 80 eu for power supply so don't know buy second hand or brand new. I can go down up to 650W. Looking for powerfull which doesn't gonna take a loads of energy.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3036-how-far-can-450w-get-you-for-a-gaming-pc-wattage

For €80 it's a good deal but I'd only buy if 4yrs+ warranty is left.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3036-how-far-can-450w-get-you-for-a-gaming-pc-wattage

For €80 it's a good deal but I'd only buy if 4yrs+ warranty is left.

The seller stated as a brand new, is there any way of checking it through f.e. Serial Number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

You are really overthinking the power supply on a 600 euro budget. You don't need an 850w gold, thats very overkill. The 550w bitfenix linked above would be perfect, you would even be fine with a cheaper supply again.

Let's say your PC is a ryzen 3600 with a gtx1650 super. Even at 100 percent full load the entire pc would only be using about 200w. If you buy a ryzen 3600 and gtx1660, it would still only be about 230w. So you can see how talk of 650 and 850 watt power supplies is pointless waste of money on a limited budget.

Homelander wrote: »
    You are really overthinking the power supply on a 600 euro budget. You don't need an 850w gold, thats very overkill. The 550w bitfenix linked above would be perfect, you would even be fine with a cheaper supply again.

Let's say your PC is a ryzen 3600 with a gtx1650 super. Even at 100 percent full load the entire pc would only be using about 200w. If you buy a ryzen 3600 and gtx1660, it would still only be about 230w. So you can see how talk of 650 and 850 watt power supplies is pointless waste of money on a limited budget.

I think I will get AMD Ryzen 2600x and at least 4 GB DDR5 graphic card.

A Ryzen 2600 is fine, if you can afford it I would get a gtx1660 super, cheapest ones are £199 and great cards for the money. But even a 2600X + 1660 super would only use 250w power at worst.

It seems though you have made really strange choices with your parts. The motherboard you chose is crazy expensive for a budget build, would have been much better off spending half as much on a motherboard and putting the savings into a better graphics card.

eg your motherboard + Ryzen 2600X versus cheaper board + Ryzen 3600 = same price, but Ryzen 3600 is way faster in games.

Or else could be the difference between an ok graphics card (gtx1650 super 4gb) or a really good graphics card (gtx1660 super 6gb)

Homelander wrote: »
    A Ryzen 2600 is fine, if you can afford it I would get a gtx1660 super, cheapest ones are £199 and great cards for the money. But even a 2600X + 1660 super would only use 250w power at worst.

It seems though you have made really strange choices with your parts. The motherboard you chose is crazy expensive for a budget build, would have been much better off spending half as much on a motherboard and putting the savings into a better graphics card.

eg your motherboard + Ryzen 2600X versus cheaper board + Ryzen 3600 = same price, but Ryzen 3600 is way faster in games.

Or else could be the difference between an ok graphics card (gtx1650 super 4gb) or a really good graphics card (gtx1660 super 6gb)
    I bought mobo on Amazon around 25 eu cheaper than advertised price + free shipping.

In your opinion which power supply do I have to take into account? If I gonna put a limit up to 60 eu for 600W would be ok? Looking for efficient and power saver ;)
    Corsair VS550 550 W Active PFC 80 PLUS -that one seems to be cheap on Amazon.

• Advertisement

No difference other than ease-of-installation / hiding cables.

Corsair Rm850 (2018), DDR4 RAM - Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz (2x8GB) RGB, secondhand - 100 eu for power supply and RAM would be a good deal or better go for brand new? Is it any good power supply RM850?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

100 euro for both is a great deal IMO. PSU is probably a few years old though but I'd be happy enough to chance it.

M00lers wrote: »
    100 euro for both is a great deal IMO. PSU is probably a few years old though but I'd be happy enough to chance it.
    The seller stated that power supply is brand new, but still thinking do I need so much power as PC will take around 550W as I've looked on pc partpicker website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

asgaard wrote: »
    The seller stated that power supply is brand new, but still thinking do I need so much power as PC will take around 550W as I've looked on pc partpicker website.

You absolutely don't need that much power but to have your RAM and PSU sorted for €100 is a no brainer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Just to add to what the others have said in terms of the PSU size - I did some power measurements on my system (3700X & 5700XT) at the wall, that might be of interest.

I have a 450W PSU, but the numbers suggested I could actually get away with less.

See the below post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111187958&postcount=3938

It really depends on the value you put on brand new items and having a warranty. I agree it is a good deal but I would not say it's a no brainer either.

You can get a decent 550w and 16gb ram new for about €130. Ram prices have dropped massively. Obviously not as good a model as an rm850 power supply wise but perfectly fine, and you have full warranty with both. I rarely buy anything second hand for this reason personally, if something fails it's a write off. But yes again at 100 for both it's a good deal.

I will keep u lads update when I get one of the computer parts. I can hold on and purchase brand new with warranty. My son is not in rush to get a gaming computer.

• Advertisement

Is it worth to buy one year old Corsair RM Series™ RM1000 — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold for 80 eu? I know better if it's new, but I think it's cheap.

Thanks

No need for a 1000W PSU.

No need for a 1000W PSU.
    Yeah I know, but it's a good price.

Btw. I bought already Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB, 3200MHz (2x16GB, DDR4).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's not a good price if it's waaaay over the odds for what you need though - it's like buying a second hand super car when all you really need is a hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

asgaard wrote: »
    Yeah I know, but it's a good price.

Btw. I bought already Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB, 3200MHz (2x16GB, DDR4).

if i am following this thread correctly,you have bought the above ram without having bought the motherboard yet?..putting the cart before the horse in my humble opinion,you will need to make sure the ballistix ram is on the motherboards recommended ram list,as some xmp profiles are unstable with certain ram,and you would have to go down the manual timings route.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    if i am following this thread correctly,you have bought the above ram without having bought the motherboard yet?..putting the cart before the horse in my humble opinion,you will need to make sure the ballistix ram is on the motherboards recommended ram list,as some xmp profiles are unstable with certain ram,and you would have to go down the manual timings route.

AMD Zen has the memory controller on the CPU, not the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I've run across incompatible RAM due to it not being on the vendor list with a 2600 and ASRock board.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I've run across incompatible RAM due to it not being on the vendor list with a 2600 and ASRock board.
    As have i on a few occasions building machines..last time it was with a rog maximus hero xi board where the corsair ram just caused instability in the system using both xmp profiles for that ram..I had to manually set timings for system to be stable..something i would not recommend a "novice" to do.

The Corsair Vengeance RAM i had kept giving me a BSOD on this X570. Swapped it out for Predator and it resolved it.

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I bought the mobo before I purchased the RAM.

Advertisement