Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whacking Phoenix

Options
  • 10-02-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/10/joaquin-phoenixs-oscars-speech-in-full

Wouldn't you just love to whack him with his politicizing of The Oscars.

I remember when the The Oscars was a fun event, an entertainment show, a bitta fun.

Now it's a showcase of the most privileged using their status to virtue signal.

I don't care if what he said is complexly right or completely wrong.

Movies and music are supposed to be a mental getaway. Let's keep it that way.

Give back your Oscar if you were so concerned about color diversity.

An otherwise great movie "The Joker" ruined by his virtue signaling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Remember when the Oscars were a bit of fun?
    Nope, not really TBH.

Always someone who seems to want to politicise their award from Marlon Brando sending a 1st Nation woman in his place sometime back in the 70's (Before my time) thru to today.

When were they fun?
    When Billy Crystal presented? Was it never political then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What do you think 'Joker' had to say? Genuinely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If you use the term virtue signaling then you’re doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

banie01 wrote: »
    Remember when the Oscars were a bit of fun?
    Nope, not really TBH.

Always someone who seems to want to politicise their award from Marlon Brando sending a 1st Nation woman in his place sometime back in the 70's (Before my time) thru to today.

When were they fun?
    When Billy Crystal presented? Was it never political then?

Yes when Billy Crystal presented. When the highlights of the show were great musical performances between the award announcements. When award recipients made emotional speeches, some cringy, some funny, some heartwarming. Lighthearted entertainment.

Do we not have enough politics these days without getting a break from it?

Ipso wrote: »
    If you use the term virtue signaling then you’re doing it.

Twat signalling then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Birneybau wrote: »
    What do you think 'Joker' had to say? Genuinely?

‘Batman‘ was a privileged wanker born with a silver spoon?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Wouldn't you just love to whack him with his politicizing of The Oscars.

Agreed. That tuxedo’s looking tired

Yes when Billy Crystal presented. When the highlights of the show were great musical performances between the award announcements. When award recipients made emotional speeches, some cringy, some funny, some heartwarming. Lighthearted entertainment.

But there were a plethora of political stands made at many of those shows.

Take off your rose tinted glasses and remember what happened rather than what dazzled ;)

No issue with Vanessa Redgrave railing about Zionist Hoodlums in '78?

Gere dissing China and Deng in 93, Robbins and Sarandon with an Aids appeal the same year?

Plenty of other "political" moments here.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/oscar-political-moments-timeline-1201787227/

It's an opportunity for pampered folk to appear like they care and voice their "concerns".

That you don't seem to recall it being like this for a long, long time...

Is a failing of your memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Movies and music are supposed to be a mental getaway.
    Says you. He actually makes movies, and you're just a whinging consumer. Who are you to suggest to him what movies are "supposed to be?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah lads leave off him. To highlight the melting ice caps, the raging bush fires and the general malaise of global warming this guy single handedly is going to wear the same tuxedo to every award ceremony this year.

Stella McCartney even went as far as calling him a hero on Twitter.*

*unfortunately for her she got torn to shreds with the comments so she had to change it to winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I hate that too when an actor makes a speech in real life.

Totally ruins a movie that they've acted in.

Frustrating thing about that movie it was a comparatively tame rehash of a role he played just a year prior. But what do you know, tie a comic book character to it and people go wild....

But there were a plethora of political stands made at many of those shows.

Take off your rose tinted glasses and remember what happened rather than what dazzled ;)

No issue with Vanessa Redgrave railing about Zionist Hoodlums in '78?

Gere dissing China and Deng in 93, Robbins and Sarandon with an Aids appeal the same year?

Plenty of other "political" moments here.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/oscar-political-moments-timeline-1201787227/

It's an opportunity for pampered folk to appear like they care and voice their "concerns".

That you don't seem to recall it being like this for a long, long time...

Is a failing of your memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UohtVuaT2Ls

No it was never like it is today. You might have had one person say something political but now all of them are are at it.

Also I don't recall anyone ever complain about the awards ceremony itself. And if Phoenix's feels so strongly about white ppl getting all the awards you'd think he might give it back if he feels so strongly on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UohtVuaT2Ls

No it was never like it is today. You might have had one person say something political but now all of them are are at it.

Also I don't recall anyone ever complain about the awards ceremony itself. And if Phoenix's feels so strongly about white ppl getting all the awards you'd think he might give it back if he feels so strongly on the issue.

Much like George C Scott did back in the 60s and 70s, when he refused twice as he wasn't in competition with his peers?

The link I gave you in the earlier post highlights political stands at the Oscars going back to 30s.

You think Joaquin's 45secs of waffle is somehow more political than anything gone before?

As for people complaining about the awards themselves, the reason the song and dance extravaganza was nixed?

People complained much like people are now.
    It's impossible to make everyone happy all the time as you seem intent on proving.

Just be glad the speeches now are only 45 seconds rather than some of the previous 1s

banie01, I don't quite get where your coming from.

My moan was generally that The Oscars used to be a much more lighthearted event and now it is not.

Gender, skin color, etc+ seems to be picked over to death, and imo that detracts from the purpose of the event.

Some ppl are movie buffs and we would like it to be about Movies. Maybe your not a movie buff yourself which is perhaps why you don't get where I'm coming from.

If there is some egregious thing going on in society then I don't mind someone making a point. But rehashing things we already know about is just hijacking the event and I believe done so to promote themselves in right-on left leaning society.

For all your links I don't ever recall The Oscars being so political and I hold to that. Clearly Hollywood society is Democrat leaning and using their platform to attack their political opponents i.e Trump is just something I don't care to see in Film award ceremony's.

He doesn't look like he's been a vegan all his life either..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he looks a bit haggard for 45 , some vegans that the knack of sort of looking their age and 20 years older at the same time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

silverharp wrote: »
    he looks a bit haggard for 45 , some vegans that the knack of sort of looking their age and 20 years older at the same time

I'd say its more than just veganism that has him looking like that. Cringe worthy was the "speech".... Renee Zellweger was another wan that went on and on about bugger all.... At least the olde Korean dear was funny (espcially since they tried to shut her up)..;)

banie01, I don't quite get where your coming from.

For all your links I don't ever recall The Oscars being so political and I hold to that.

I'M coming from a fairly simple standpoint of, you're recollection of a golden era of non-politically charged Oscars is wrong.

You don't recall, which is why I pointed out why/how your recollection was mistaken.
    That you don't recall it, doesn't mean it's a new phenomenon.

It's not, politicisation of the Oscars has a long and demonstrated history that you don't remember.

That's fine, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
    You are moaning about Joaquin, tbh it's accepted as par for the course at the Oscars.

Lack of high quality protein - necessary for the maintenance of collagen.

• Advertisement

I'M coming from a fairly simple standpoint of, you're recollection of a golden era of non-politically charged Oscars is wrong.

You don't recall, which is why I pointed out why/how your recollection was mistaken.
    That you don't recall it, doesn't mean it's a new phenomenon.

It's not, politicisation of the Oscars has a long and demonstrated history that you don't remember.

That's fine, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
    You are moaning about Joaquin, tbh it's accepted as par for the course at the Oscars.

I've answered this already. Your just making the same point in different words.

I've answered this already. Your just making the same point in different words.

No, you have said "you don't recall"

That doesn't mean it didn't happen as has been shown in the link in an earlier post.

Politicisation of acceptance speeches is the main reason that the speech are so limited.

Couple that with the growth in the number of categories and the "fluff" of the light variety show it used to be is gone.

This year it was Joaquin getting in a pro vegan plug for a docu he had narrated.

In the 70's it was Jane and Vietnam, there is a long and demonstrated history of it.
    You are clinging to Joaquin, and in a more recent post Democratic lefties as a reason to complain.

I am trying to explain to you, that it's pointless it's always happened and always will.
    If you don't like it, don't watch it.

The days of it being a Hollywood Gala are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He is a heavy smoker so I don’t imagine he does much fitness work.
    And apparently the way he lost so much weight for Joker was by eating 1 Apple a day and nothing else for a few months.
    He is a great actor tho and doesn’t need to rely on pretty boy job offers, so I don’t think he is too concerned about what others think of his appearance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My word.

You make it sound like they are acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Who cares?

Some vegans/vegetarians/meat eaters are healthy/not healthy.

Most of the best ultra marathoners in the world are vegan.

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No

No, you have said "you don't recall"

That doesn't mean it didn't happen as has been shown in the link in an earlier post.

Politicisation of acceptance speeches is the main reason that the speech are so limited.

Couple that with the growth in the number of categories and the "fluff" of the light variety show it used to be is gone.

This year it was Joaquin getting in a pro vegan plug for a docu he had narrated.

In the 70's it was Jane and Vietnam, there is a long and demonstrated history of it.
    You are clinging to Joaquin, and in a more recent post Democratic lefties as a reason to complain.

I am trying to explain to you, that it's pointless it's always happened and always will.
    If you don't like it, don't watch it.

The days of it being a Hollywood Gala are long gone.

I am trying to explain to you you that it wasn't as prolific as it is today and it is spoiling the event.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What's your point?

I don't really have a point..It's not some mad anti vegan post for the sake of it..It's just that he always kind of half looks on the heavy side to me..just not what I would associate with other vegans that I'm aware of..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bobblehats wrote: »
    ‘Batman‘ was a privileged wanker born with a silver spoon?

Exactly, and Joker/Fleck's mental health therapy and medication was stopped due to austerity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ok snowflake.

Advertisement