Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South Africa to joins 7 Nations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm with him ^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It does make sense in terms of tv scheduling. When they play nz or aus away the games are on at crazy hours and we get to play another decent team every year. I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It does make sense in terms of tv scheduling. When they play nz or aus away the games are on at crazy hours and we get to play another decent team every year. I don't see why not.
    It does but it messes up southern hemisphere provincial rugby and Australian rugby is in bad enough shape already and New Zealand would struggle to keep their stars at home if south Africa left
    Not good for the sport overall at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not to mention the impact on the environment! it's bad enough with Kings and Cheetahs..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

It does but it messes up southern hemisphere provincial rugby and Australian rugby is in bad enough shape already and New Zealand would struggle to keep their stars at home if south Africa left

Could South Africa play in both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Fair point. The Aussies are in all sorts as it is financially and with fox sports apparantly pulling the pin god knows what will happen there. If that happens they are totally screwed and if SA head our way what will happen down there? This could end up very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tea Shock wrote: »
    Could South Africa play in both?
    It would take players away from their clubs for an inordinate length of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

crisco10 wrote: »
    Not to mention the impact on the environment! it's bad enough with Kings and Cheetahs..

You do realise that they already fly to Argentina, Australia and New Zealand every year don't you? And that their 4 super rugby teams do the same?

I'd assume that if they joined they'd play 3 home games in a row and then 3 away games in a row (or vice versa).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

You do realise that they already fly to Argentina, Australia and New Zealand every year don't you? And that their 4 super rugby teams do the same?

I'd assume that if they joined they'd play 3 home games in a row and then 3 away games in a row (or vice versa).

Yup I do, but their fans don't, where as 6 nations fans are much more engaged in travelling to away games.

And they (usually) do it as a tour, as opposed to too much back and forth. If SA joined the 7 nations, there is 7 nations flying around instead of 4 as it currently stands.

If the sums make this arrangement look better on paper then so be it, but it might be unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well half of our team is already from South Africa...………..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

When I saw it first, I thought they were talking about Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why not increase the tournament by a week and allow Georgia to also join?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Why not increase the tournament by a week and allow Georgia to also join?

And call it the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Thread title needs a question mark.

SA is not really different to us time wise, only 1 hour off, so games would be at a reasonable hour.

I wouldn't be in favour of this though. Too much travel time injected into the tournament.

The day I see Springbok jerseys all over Dublin on a six nations weekend is the day I will believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thread title is annoying the **** out of me for implying this had been finalised and set to go ahead.

Do you work for for an online advertising company OP?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Extra games with no away crowd and no atmosphere.
    No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think it would be great for the 6N, would definitely make it a even more competitive tournament.

The lack of away crowd would be an issue but would likely be a sell out regardless as the Boks will always draw a crowd at home.

Obviously it will have a negative effect down south but they could (and should) invite Japan to join the RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Could be of benefit long term, realign the tournaments to make better sense. Japan to replace SA, in a Pacific tournament. Unfortunate that the US and other teams from the Americas are so far off the pace, it would be far better if the ARC was good enough for the Pumas to focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Rugby Championship would be some joke if this happened.

Why? Who was asking for this? This was initially reported by the daily mail so I'm very, very suspect.

awec wrote: »

Agreed, it would really be a one horse race with the way Oz are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Isn't this just that world rugby league by another name?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah great idea, thats all the world needs is thousands of fans plus the teams and their entourage taking an 11/12 hour flight every week during the 6 (7) nations tournament ...so green!!!

But hey, don't worry - get the tweets and the facebook posts about how pissed off you are with the govt. about the state of the pollution!!
    Plus get those new taxes in and it will ALL BE OK!!!!!!

Why? Who was asking for this? This was initially reported by the daily mail so I'm very, very suspect.

The ideas been knocked around for years. I'd imagine SA have looked into it on some level, as financially with TV rights, it could be a better deal for them.

Its a serious nightmare for everyone else down south though. Realistically Rugby looks be be on the way out in OZ, falling player numbers, dwindling fan base and so on. Would pretty much leave the abs on their toblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Money talks. If Ireland would have to play 6 weeks in a row then just rotate the squad more to avoid burnout. Might even be good practice for World Cups.

I hope the proposal wouldn't have SA pulling out of the Tri-Nations. That could weaken NZ and ultimately the international game and open the door for PRL and LNR to be bigger voices in the running of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No grand slam will ever be won again . Well actually Safrica might

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭OldRio

I sincerely hope not. Very poor for the game but richer for the Unions. Money talks unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

It would collapse. SA tv rights provide the bulk of the revenue AFAIK. The money wouldnt be there to make it sustainable without SA.

Advertisement