Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Thread - Dublin West - SEE MOD NOTE IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

thomasj wrote: »
    What happens the surplus if he exceeds the quota?

I assume if the surplus is bigger than the gap between RC and RoG that they would then distribute it as count 7.

Though an earlier poster said count 6 was the final count - not sure if they were getting that from an official source or someone just misinterpreting the situation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There are only 2 seats and 3 candidates left, so this has to be the last count as there's nobody else left to eliminate after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Any chance JC will be eliminated?

No, My understanding is that Emer Currie's 2nd Preferences will go to Leo and he's already elected. So the 3 left won't pick up many votes there. It will be Joan Burtons that will decide the last seat. It doesn't look like the last 2 seats will meet the quota so it will be whoever is ahead. There is no way they could both overtake JC

Zaph wrote: »
    There are only 2 seats and 3 candidates left, so this has to be the last count as there's nobody else left to eliminate after it.

But there is potentially a surplus to distribute.
    Say Chambers gets 300 above the quota in this count, and RoG reduces the gap vis a vis Coppinger to 250.
    Surely they have to distribute the surplus rather than just declaring RC elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Don't think this will be enough for O'Gorman to close the gap

https://twitter.com/RTEdublinWEST/status/1226620772954902528?s=19

• Advertisement

No, My understanding is that Emer Currie's 2nd Preferences will go to Leo and he's already elected. So the 3 left won't pick up many votes there.

Leo being gone doesn't really matter. The vote will instead transfer to her 3rd, 4th or even 9th preference, basically whichever of JC, RC & RoG got the highest preference on each of Currie's votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Word from the count centre is that O Gorman looks set to take the final seat.

If it's very tight, there might be a recount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Zaph wrote: »

There is the Varadkar surplus of 47 if the last two are close, and possibly a Chambers surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Chambers elected according to Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

And Roderic! \o/

Delighted for Roderic, it's been a long time coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Polar101

O'Gorman 8,260
    Coppinger 7,580

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Chambers elected according to Newstalk.

I can't understand anyone voting for that guy.

Well done to RG

Polar101 wrote: »
    O'Gorman 8,260
    Coppinger 7,580

Wow that's a far bigger margin than I thought, some amount of transfers to O'Gorman in the last count

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Chambers support around him tells it all at the count, not a person below the age of 65.

Absolutely fantastic for O'Gorman, I was getting worried for a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I can't understand anyone voting for that guy.

Very angry man.

Looking at who we elected, I'm actually happy with the range of people in there, less left skewed than I thought it would be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Polar101

RoryMac wrote: »
    Wow that's a far bigger margin than I thought, some amount of transfers to O'Gorman in the last count

Yeah, O'Gorman got 1990 transfers and Coppinger 589. Didn't think it would happen, but it did.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Chambers support around him tells it all at the count, not a person below the age of 65.

Yeah, I just said the same thing to my wife. Doesn't bode well for the future of FF in Dublin West.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Chambers surrounded by elderly men at the count centre.

FG will be disappointed with Emer Currie's poor showing.

Excellent news for Roderic. He's been trying for a long time!

We have lost 2 women TD's and it doesn't look like Leo will be Taoiseach but we have more than one gay TD now. We're very progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yeah, O'Gorman got 1990 transfers and Coppinger 589. Didn't think it would happen, but it did.

At least some good news, less of Coppingers's face and whinging on national television is to be welcomed.

FG will be disappointed with Emer Currie's poor showing.

I never heard of her until canvassing.

We have lost 2 women TD's and it doesn't look like Leo will be Taoiseach but we have more than one gay TD now. We're very progressive.

They didn't lose for being women, well not in the eyes of what I hope is the majority of people. And I doubt anyone won because of their sexual orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

A candidate's quality is more important than their gender or sexuality, sure Burton hasn't exactly been strong on women's issues in recent years anyway.

Advertisement