Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020 - Dun Laoghaire (4 seater)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Blut2 wrote: »
    Isn't there massive demand for those parking spaces, to the point where they could probably double or triple the price and still fill it every day?

Given that, increasing the price slightly seems a fairly sensible way to raise revenue for local services.

They're increasing them by 33%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

jpfahy wrote: »
    They're increasing them by 33%

33% is on the low end of the increase the demand could sustain. They could have increased prices by 200% and every spot would still be full every day, the demand for those spaces is huge. They're usually all taken well before 8am every morning.
    scrumqueen wrote: »
    When I thought about it I figured it was probably a cash grab. But rates are such a deterrent and based off such an arbitrary and out of date method, increasing them when the town is struggling is to me quite bizarre.

? The Blackrock DART station spaces are all park and riders parking early in the morning for the day, not people parking there to pop to the shops.

Even aside from that though, its really pretty simple: when demand exceeds supply to the level seen in that car park it makes perfect economic sense to increase prices. Especially when the revenue from those increased prices can go towards more valuable local amenities like parks, playgrounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even aside from that though, its really pretty simple: when demand exceeds supply to the level seen in that car park it makes perfect economic sense to increase prices.

It's not 'pretty simple', this is not a commercial car park and should not be operated as one. If it was, the council would rack up prices such that only the well-off could afford to park there. And the place probably wouldn't fill up until 10 a.m. each day.

The council would make more money but the ordinary commuter would be squeezed out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Also the council should be incentivising people to use Park and Ride facilities as much as possible. Get cars out of the city and get people using public transport more. Upping the price of parking does exactly the opposite of this. I'm amazed the Greens supported this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

But the Dart is already operating at capacity, so after these additional people park, what should they ride?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Also the council should be incentivising people to use Park and Ride facilities as much as possible. Get cars out of the city and get people using public transport more. Upping the price of parking does exactly the opposite of this. I'm amazed the Greens supported this

I'm not overly surprised. They seem to hate any sort of private car usage, but if you have to use your car, They'll charge it to the hilt. they prob want people to cycle to the dart instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

who the feck is it that votes MMOC? seriously now. She is bottom of the barrel stuff, completely awful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Kingp35 wrote: »

There's no point in incentivising use of a park and ride facility when the available car park is constantly full and expansion of same isn't an option.

In this case the city planning guidelines would suggest that promotion of other modes of travel (walking/cycling/bus) to the station should be prioritised, and the existing car park facility be used by those to whom the other options aren't easily utilised. The most straightforward way to do this is via price; making it more expensive encourages people to use the other options if they are available.

It's not surprise to me at all that the Greens would support this, it's completely aligned with their philosophy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In fairness, the lack of true local democracy means the council budget is put to them as a package. To pay for X, we need Y income etc. If they don't pass it, eventually they get abolished and a civil servant comes out from the Customs House to run things.

Its not flippin' a bit of extra loose change for parking that should be an issue in a national election, its the whole issue of the nature of local democracy.

In fact this speaks to my whole issue with Dáil elections. In multi-seat constituencies the nature of the competition turns TDs into glorified Councillors rather than legislators in the national interest (eg Healy-Raes) . If we had a list system, we would vote for the parties policies for national issues and they would be allocated the seats based on the outcome, with less clientilism locally. Its the whole reason 'gombeenism' is still the perception of things.

If we had a list system, do you think people who know who their TD's are?

At the end of the day, People judge actions louder then words. Here I've seen Multiple General election candidates Vote to increase Rates and Parking charges in a town thats desperately crying out for more people to visit and use it. Its hard to compete with DunDrum and stillorgen when you have to pay parking, Where as Dundrum and stillorgen offer free or subsidized parking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

? The Blackrock DART station spaces are all park and riders parking early in the morning for the day, not people parking there to pop to the shops.

Even aside from that though, its really pretty simple: when demand exceeds supply to the level seen in that car park it makes perfect economic sense to increase prices. Especially when the revenue from those increased prices can go towards more valuable local amenities like parks, playgrounds etc.

'Rates' in this thread I was lead to believe referred to commercial rates paid by business owners who rent/own commercial premises in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Amirani wrote: »
    There's no point in incentivising use of a park and ride facility when the available car park is constantly full and expansion of same isn't an option.
    In this case the city planning guidelines would suggest that promotion of other modes of travel (walking/cycling/bus) to the station should be prioritised, and the existing car park facility be used by those to whom the other options aren't easily utilised. The most straightforward way to do this is via price; making it more expensive encourages people to use the other options if they are available.

If there are complaints from the businesses about the rates AND parking costs going up... The parking could be 'validated' by or reserved for those businesses i.e. if you've spent minimum amount of money in the local business (that are paying commercial rates) can validate your ticket.
    Otherwise it is charged at an effectively prohibitive amount.

Pretty common setup in the States I think?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

josip wrote: »
    But the Dart is already operating at capacity, so after these additional people park, what should they ride?
    Agreed. The bigger issue is the lack of capacity for the Dart when it's required. The line can't handle the current volume of commuters, hence the Peaktime.ie nonsense.
    Amirani wrote: »
    the existing car park facility be used by those to whom the other options aren't easily utilised. The most straightforward way to do this is via price; making it more expensive encourages people to use the other options if they are available.
    That's true in theory. But there's an implicit assumption there that those for whom the other options aren't easily utilised can readily afford the more expensive prices. If anything it's likely to be the opposite, particularly given the locations in question.

Has DLR co co sent out polling cards? I know I’m on the register but no sign of a polling card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

coylemj wrote: »
    Has DLR co co sent out polling cards? I know I’m on the register but no sign of a polling card.

Got ours last week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's not 'pretty simple', this is not a commercial car park and should not be operated as one. If it was, the council would rack up prices such that only the well-off could afford to park there. And the place probably wouldn't fill up until 10 a.m. each day.

The council would make more money but the ordinary commuter would be squeezed out.

Where does the commuter come from to park at Blackrock DART station, though. It’s like the large amount of short distance school runs, not something to be encouraged.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Where does the commuter come from to park at Blackrock DART station, though.

Would you remove all car parks at Dart stations? If there's no car park, a lot of those people will drive their cars into the city :confused:
    Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s like the large amount of short distance school runs, not something to be encouraged.

Can't see how you can compare it to school runs. Schools are typically much closer to home than work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Would you remove all car parks at Dart stations? If there's no car park, a lot of those people will drive their cars into the city :confused:

Can't see how you can compare it to school runs. Schools are typically much closer to home than work.

Park and ride is an excellent concept. My point is that in relatively inner suburban areas such as Blackrock Village (see I capitalised it), the parkers are coming from relatively short distances in many cases. They might be driving down from Newtown Park Avenue or Stradbrook Road and the like. Rather like the 1-1.5 mile school run, these generate significant amounts of one way traffic which should not be encouraged. There are likely to be few enough park and riders who come from further distances or if they do, why have they not parked at one of the intermediate areas when he might have had other modes - for example PNR at Sandyford, Stillorgan, Dundrum etc.

I see the point in PNR at Greystones, Shankill and Bray but once you’re as far in as Blackrock, it just seems to me that it would discourage fat people such as myself from a little bit of exercise or considering other modes (eg the bus up on the N11). It might be because the parent is driving the child to one of the lovely schools at Blackrock or Booterstown before heading into town. Again, I think the schools should be arranging buses etc for pupils if such are necessary. Or the children should be attending schools within walking distance of home!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Interesting predicted results
    RBB
    OS
    JmcN
    Fight for the fourth between Devlin and MMOC

I wonder if SF might be in the mix though. Given that he will probably benefit from RBB and OS transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Possibly, but at the same time FF and FG transfer to each other in ways they used not to, so everyone will be eating each others lunch.

The big takeway for me so far, is that FF running Hanafin and not giving Devlin a solo run is one of the most insane bit of party management of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Interesting predicted results
    RBB
    OS
    JmcN
    Fight for the fourth between Devlin and MMOC

I wonder if SF might be in the mix though. Given that he will probably benefit from RBB and OS transfers.

I think RBB will take a number of what would have been SF votes. I just think there will not be enough of a surplus and SF will be starting low there anyways in the count. Hopefully MMOC gets shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Would love to see the end of MMOC but get the feeling she'll just keep doing a Hannifin and stand for every election no matter what it's for. JUST GIVE ME ANOTHER PENSION!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Possibly, but at the same time FF and FG transfer to each other in ways they used not to, so everyone will be eating each others lunch.

The big takeway for me so far, is that FF running Hanafin and not giving Devlin a solo run is one of the most insane bit of party management of recent times.
    Crazy. Anyone know why ? I’d say Devlin is furious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭crushproof

He seems to be undermined by the party quite a lot and not given the respect due. I'd never ever vote FF/FG but if he went independent I'd consider giving him a vote. At least he's visible in the community and is communicative. Don't think I've ever seen Hannifan, or MMOC for that matter, engaging with the people on the street.

Summary of the first count...

Richard Boyd-Barrett headed the poll with 15.5% of the first preferences and 77% of a quota

As RBB and Ossian Smyth (GP) have three quarters of a quota each, they're virtually guaranteed to take the first two seats.

FF's Devlin and Hanafin have 80% of a quota between them so no FF seat by the looks of it. Unless Hanafin gives a hefty (85%) transfer to Devlin and Barry Ward gives a poor (<34%) transfer to MMOC. Remember that Ward will be transferring to two running mates whereas the vast bulk of Hanafin's transfers will go to Devlin.

FG have 1.67 quotas. Barry Ward is behind his running mates, he has 46% of a quota so his transfers will probably see Carrol McNeill and Mitchell O'Connor home for the last two seats. Barring the scenario described above.

Although SF did very poorly in the locals, their candidate got a decent 9.64% of the 1st preferences.

In the last General election she did better than him. She nearly took the last seat. So my guess is they thought she would get in this time.

Although it has to be said that the local FF won’t touch Hanafin with a 30 ft barge pole. And I think the feeling is mutual, so when she is gone I’d V expect her vote to fragment to other parties.

ddarcy wrote: »
    Although it has to be said that the local FF won’t touch Hanafin with a 30 ft barge pole. And I think the feeling is mutual, so when she is gone I’d V expect her vote to fragment to other parties.

:confused: Wasn't she selected as a candidate at a local FF convention? Or was she added to the ticket by FF HQ?

:confused: Wasn't she selected as a candidate at a local FF convention? Or was she added to the ticket by FF HQ?

She was added both times in the last two elections.Devlin was chosen by the members both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pure stupid decision. Devlin would've got 8 or 9k first prefs in a solo candidacy.

Well Hanafin is gone. Well be interesting to see where the vote goes. Unfortunately I see it going to the 2 FG women. Hopefully through some miracle most of it goes to Devlin and MMOC doesn't get a seat in the end.

• Advertisement

ddarcy wrote: »
    She was added both times in the last two elections.Devlin was chosen by the members both times.

+1 I remember now. Kate Feeney told her supporters to give Devlin their second preference to stop Hanafin. Her belief was that if she couldn't pull off the election at the convention, her chances of being added by head office would be enhanced if the convention selected a male candidate.

So Devlin won the contest thanks to Feeney's 2nd preferences. But head office added Hanafin.

Advertisement