Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Tall Order

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Week of January 6th-12th

Penultimate week of upswing in this training block. Missed one of LSRs due to travel and the other didn't go great. Upcoming week will go better.

4 weeks till Donadea. If I can replicate the effort from Thursday's run times 5 on race day I'll be happy.

53Km/33 miles.

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

Morning run - 10km @ 6:26min/Km, 149avg HR. Incredibly windy run which resulted in slower pace and higher HR. Turned out there was a yellow wind warning in place that I missed the notifications for :pac:

Cycle commute of 15Km.

Wednesday

Morning run - 16Km @ 6:29min/Km, 141avg HR. Longest midweek run to date, nothing memorable about it.

Thursday

Morning run - 10Km @ 5:56min/Km, 149avg HR. I'd planned on doing this a little quicker than normal and it threw up some interesting (to me at least :) ) numbers. Exact same time of day and route as Tuesday's run but didn't have the yellow wind warning. A quicker pace of 30 seconds per Km. HR was the exact same. First time I've seen weather conditions have a drastic effect on my running where I can compare a like for like run. Quite happy with how I felt throughout the run.

Cycle commute of 15Km

S&C - first standalone S&C workout. I've typically done this straight after a run but I've moved it to lunch time now and it suits much better.
    Single leg heel raises, single bent leg heel raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times. Felt good afterwards. Glutes and hammies were tender on Friday.

Friday

Cycle commute of 15Km.

Yoga - 45 mins. Doms from the previous day were relieved a little during this.

Saturday

Was supposed to be a 2 hour or ~20-25Km run but I'd 18 hours worth of traveling to do so running. Got a brief few minutes of sprint work in trying to catch my connecting flight whilst carrying 2 hand luggage bags. Since it's not on strava, it didn't happen.

Sunday

Afternoon run - 17Km @ 6:36min/Km, 135avg HR. Legs felt really heavy throughout and both calves felt tight. I'd done some rolling/stretching a few hours beforehand to ease the legs after travel. Perhaps I should've jumped on a bike or treadmill indoors first to loosen them up a little more. Would've liked to have gotten out for 2.5 hours or ~25Km but just wasn't to be. :(

Week of January 13th-19th

Final week of building for Donadea complete. Taper from now until February 8th. What's done (or not done) is done. C'est la vie. Still have some niggles in my leg that I'm hoping physio and reduced mileage will help it get race day ready.

This training block has definitely been a different experience compared with novices DCM 2019 plan. Doing this solo compared to the hoards of us who were involved in the Novices thread has been testing mentally. Peer pressure is probably the wrong way to describe how it works in the Novices thread (accountability to the group?) but I definitely felt that I didn't want to let down the mentors or other novices as we were all going through the same plan with ups and downs every week. Going it alone solo for this race has meant I've had be more aware of those little voices that tell you to stay in bed for a few more hours instead of going running in the dark/cold/wet/wind (sometimes all 4) or that you'll get it done after work which of course will never happen. The folks on our novices (grads at this stage) whatsapp group have also been great with words of encouragement (to everyone, not just me) on a regular basis. It's been a great source of motivation and also an outlet when runs go to sh!t because there's no point in saying to the wife or kids :p . I've also recently started the headspace motivation course which has helped with focusing the mind on the goal ahead.

3 weeks till Donadea.

80Km/50miles for the week. Biggest mileageweek thus far. Hard not to have a sense of both pride at the total and dissapointment of not having it being more.

Monday

S&C in the morning - Single leg calf raises, seated calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times. I'd a bit more weight to play with in the hotel gym so seated calf raises and deadlifts had a bit more weight on them. Doms for rest of that day and following days were nothing compared with the previous Thursday.

Tuesday

Morning runmute - 12Km @ 6:26/Km,  154avg HR. Lovely runmute to the office which consisted of running by high rise buildings, through suburbs and then on trails along the banks of a river. It was slightly raining so I threw on my lightweight rain/wind jacket but didn't factor in the heat so HR was slightly higher than I'd have liked. Carried everything with me so the backpack had laptop, clothers, shoes and a few other items. Going to continue these when I get back to Ireland as body seems to be ok with them.

Wednesday

Morning runmute - 12Km, @ 6:26/Km,  163avg HR. Pretty much the same route as Tuesday bar a little deviation which had me along the other bank of the river on a single trail with a 50 foot drop in to the river. Adrenaline kicked in due to my rather ironic fear of heights and my HR never really recovered, there was a small bit of recovery after getting off the trails but not enough. Garmin prompted 3.5 days recovery at the end of the run.

S&C in the evening - Single leg calf raises, seated calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times.

Thursday

Morning runmute - 12Km @ 6:32/Km,  145avg HR. Reverted back to my route from Tuesday. HR reading is a bit wonky for majority of 1st Km so I reckon the HR avg should be ~150 for the run.

Friday

Rest day. Had planned on doing some yoga after picking up a new swish yoga mat but was mentally drained after a long week in the office.

Saturday

Morning run - 22Km @ 6:48min/Km, 142avg HR. I'd to go collect my race pack for the next day's half marathon. It was a bit stop/start at times due to the large roads here in the US and waiting around for it to be safe to cross...lots of jay walking across roads the size of the M50. Race pack was the oddest bag I've ever gotten, bunch of stuff from the main sponsor 3M (picture on the strava activity) but no food or anything. Tshirt was ok. I was wearing my parkrun apricot tshirt and got talking to a gent from Belfast very briefly who recognised the logo. After finishing up at the expo I started off with the plan on running all the way back to hotel for a round trip of ~34Km. Legs just weren't up for it though. Stopped after a few Km on the way back.

Sunday

3M Half Marathon - Chip time 2:04:50. Plan was to run at a little under 6min/Km but really doubted if I could carry that out after yesterday's sh!tshow. Course itself is a point to point with most of it downhill bar the bumps at the end which feel like mountains by the time I've got there. Bit of fruit and water prior to getting out the door.

Got to the start area about 45 minutes prior to start. It's cold, like DCM 2019 morning cold but I've no throwaway clothes with me so I keep my jacket and hat as long as possible and thus my race bag too. There are people with blankets, foil blankets, dressing gowns and a variety of other items draped over them to keep them warm. Drop the bag off about 20 minutes prior to the start and enter the pens very close to the 2:05 pacers. Start shivering almost immediately.

1-5Km - Goes off without incident as the roads are really wide so plenty of space for everyone to run comfortably while people find their own pace/rhythm. For most of Kms 2-4 I can't see anything outside of the feet of the person in front of me due to the low and blinding winter sunrise. I'm a out of the gates a little quicker than I'd planned but feeling ok. I'm ahead of the 2:05 pacers at this stage but no idea how far.

6-10Km - About 7Km I get a little urge that I should take a pit stop at a portaloo so I wait till there's a quiet rest stop and take care of business. Probably wasn't a good idea to eat a large amount of local BBQ early the previous evening :pac: but I'm in the land of top notch BBQ cuisine so it is what it is. I get out of the portaloo and about take off but find myself right behind the 2:05 pacers so I tag on.

11-15Km - I'm with the 2:05 pacers for all of this section. Fairly uneventful. The pacers are really good so I'm just tucked in behind them.

16Km-Finish - I'm still with the 2:05 pacers right until crossing the finish line. There are a few bumps towards the end of the race in the last few Km which test the legs after yesterday's run. I turn the final corner to see the finish line and it's at the top of a drag... bastards :p Cross the line and my watch says 2:04:55 with chip time later saying 2:04:50.

I booked the race for the novelty of doing my first race outside of Ireland and using it as a PMP/LSR run but I'm not sure I'd have mentally got through that run on my own after what I consider a disappointing day yesterday. Aerobic system felt fine throughout but legs are pure tired and beat up right now. The support from the public along the route was great and volunteers were fantastic. It was a bit of a pricey race as I booked it pretty close to the race day. If my work trip is better planned next year I'll consider either the same race or perhaps the Houston marathon which is on the same day.

Week of January 20th-26th

Bit of a meh week in terms of the distance I covered but I'm in the first week of taper and just travelled a few 000Kms so not going to get too down on myself over it. Falling asleep at the computer so trying to keep this brief.

34Km/21miles.

2 weeks till Donadea.

Monday

S&C in the morning - Single leg calf raises, seated calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times. Body/mind pretty tired after the back to back runs over the weekend just gone but happy to have got this out of the way.

Tuesday

Morning run - 7Km @ 6:23min/Km, 144avg HR. Tough enough run. Legs were still tired from the weekend and the S&C yesterday didn't help.

Wednesday

Morning run - 10Km @ 6:00min/Km, 160avg HR. Legs recovered from the weekend at this stage. HR was a little high at points whlist effort felt fine. Unsure if HR strap is busted or I'm coming down withi something.

S&C in the evening - Single leg calf raises, seated calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups.

Thursday

Morning run - 5Km @ 6:18min/Km, 147avg HR. Short on time due to work stuff so just got out for as long as I could.

Friday/Saturday

Travel home from the US. Think I was on the move for close to 24 hours between taxis and flights. No running got done. So very tired after all of it.

Sunday

Junior parkrun in the morning - legs felt pretty awful during it. Putting it down to sitting in a cramped airplane seat for about 10-12 hours.

Evening run - 10Km @ 6:25min, 155avg HR. Had to get out after travel curbed yesterday's plans. Was a bit of a meh run but glad to get the legs moving. They felt better during this then this morning in junior parkrun.

Week of January 27th - February 2nd

Taper week #2. Got the runs in thankfully. Struggled with fatigue due to jet lag and lack of sleep until I finally got a great nights sleep on Friday evening. HR during the 3 midweek runs was higher than it usually is due to this. It dropped back to normal levels on the weekend runs so happy to see that.

6 days till Donadea :eek: Just 6.5Km * 2 to get through during the week before a few days rest. I've been formulating my plan for the actual race and I'm planning on 5:48min/Km for a 4:50 finish. I've read over my DCM report and the main thing that sticks out is discipline with regards to pacing. By all accounts the surface is a lot more forgiving than DCM and not as hilly so hoping my race plan works out. Legs are certainly stronger and my aerobic system has improved. Positive thinking for the week. :)

Monday

15Km cycle commute.

S&C @ lunchtime. Single leg calf raises, standing bent lef calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times.

Tuesday

Morning run - 6.5Km @ 6:22min/Km, 150avg HR. Little sleep the night before. Body and mind tired throughout this short run.

15Km cycle commute.

Wednesday

Morning run - 10Km @ 6:09min/Km, 154avg HR.

Thursday

Morning run - 6.5Km @ 6:13min/Km, 150avg HR.

S&C @ lunchtime. Single leg calf raises, standing bent lef calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, knee drives, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times.

15Km cycle commute.

Friday

19Km cycle commute.

Yoga - 40 minutes.

Saturday

Morning run - 10Km @ 6:20min/Km, 141avg HR.

Sunday

Evening run - 10Km @ 6:!2min/Km, 138avg HR. This and Saturday's run felt much better than the midweek runs. Fatigue seems to be gone.

Week of February 3rd - 7th

Left hamstring felt off at the start of the week but eventually came around after the S&C session on Tuesday. It's been good since. Thursday morning saw the start of a head cold so I've been 50/50 on whether to take anything for it on the day, unsure if it'll affect my gut.

1 more sleep till Donadea. As it is 5Km per lap I've got my fuel/fluid prepped in a small box which I can hit up at the start of each lap. Got a mixture of nakd bars, banana chips and wine gums to get me through. Still deciding on what attire to wear tomorrow as it's looking like 30-40Km/hr winds for the latter half of the race.

Monday

Cycle commute 15Km.

Tuesday

Morning run - 6.5Km @ 6:10min/Km. 141avg HR.

S&C @ lunchtime. Single leg calf raises, standing bent lef calf raises, single leg bridge, lateral hip raises, farmers walk, deadlifts, pushups. Run through that 3 times. No bands with me so no knee drives.

Cycle commute 15Km.

Wednesday

Lunch run - 7Km @ 5:45min/Km. 152avg HR.

Thursday/Friday

Back to back rest days with a head cold settling in :rolleyes::mad: Was due to have yoga Friday lunch time but decided to skip it and conserve energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck tomorrow M.

Donadea 50Km - Official time 5:24:17

Not the time I wanted or under the cutoff time but I had a great time today and came out the other side in much better shape than I was after DCM 2019 - physically and mentally. I'm thinking it's going to be a quick recovery based on how I feel now.

Training block - 13 weeks
    Between 2 bouts of sickness and then 2 weeks of work travel close to the event, I missed a bunch of long runs. Longest run I got in was a 27Km trail route with a good bunch of climbing. The move from a 4 day (HH novices) to a 5 day training program (Hal Higdon 50K ... adjusted a bit) was a challenge at times but more to do with logistics of getting 2 LSR sorted without disrupting family time.

I'd a bunch of niggles from around Christmas time so I've been in physio regularly. The S&C has been a great help with remediating issues and making me feel stronger whilst helping those niggles recover. I've been tracking the S&C every session and I've been getting stronger so looking forward moving forward with it but there will be some adjustments for the next training block to include more single leg weighted exercises.

I've been doing a bunch of reading about endurance running trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible and put some of those tidbits to play today. Nothing ground breaking but small stuff I screwed up at DCM.

I'd a plan of a 100mg salt tab per lap and had my fuel/fluid laid out on the table at the finish line for collection. By my calculations I'd take in about 50-60grams every based on my original goal of 4:50.

Race day
    Arrived down in the forest at about 8:30am and things were already busy in the car park. It's blooming baltic out. I walk up to the tent and grab my T-shirt and drop it back to the car. Walk back to the facilities close to the finish line, take car of business. Back to the car to collect my bag and think about getting ready based on the todo list I have. I get everything done on the list... apart from taping my nips... tis ok, nothing to report so it's safe to read on. :pac: I throw on a bunch of my non running clothes to try keep warm right up until the off. I get my fuel/fluid setup at the tables provided, all ready for grabbing at the start of each lap. Another quick stop in the facilities prior to the race brief. Race brief happens at about 9:50am so just as it's finishing I strip down to the race kit and drop my bag to the tent before joining the back of pack on the start line.

It's all so vivid during the race but it's a blur now so I'll try my best to recall the race.

Lap 1 - 29:40

Started from the very back of the pack between 4:45 and 5 hour pacers. Fairly uneventful first lap tbh. A lot of chat going on about who's a first timer or who's a vet of the D50. I'm just behind the 4:45 pacers and by my calculations they're a little on the slow side for the first lap. I should state, the pacers were great company and a little slow is like ~5 seconds per Km and sure it's only first lap. :)

Lap 2 - 28:08

I grab water from the organisers but forget to hit up my own fuel but luckily I'd packed some fuel in my flipbelt to get me through the initial lap or two. Still rolling with the 4:45 pacers and again they're a little behind (I think). Towards the end of the lap I get the feeling I'm going to have to pop in to the woods at some stage for a number 1. Grab some of my electrolyte drink and some banana chips from my box at the finish line. About halfway through this lap the leader comes storming by and he was motoring.

Lap 3 - 27:57

Start munching on the banana chips, which I have to say, taste great. However, they're a bit dry so I'll finish out the supply I have at home but will look for an alternative carb supply for future races. Still on the heels of the 4:45 pacers and the group is still in tact. Chat ongoing, all good natured banter to keep our mind off the task at hand. I'm refusing to pay a visit to the woods this early :D

Lap 4 - 27:45

As each lap ticks by, I'm saying to myself 10% done, 20% done and so on. It keeps me motivated and focused on what's ahead. 4:45s going strong, group chat is not as frequent now but occasional quips get the laughter going. By the end of the this lap the cracks in the group are starting to show. I'm feeling ok. None of the niggles I've been getting work on are showing any signs of causing issue.

Lap 5 - 28:10

Passing my fuel box, banana chips are ignored and the wine gums are brought out a few laps early. Dunno how or why (being the most important question) but I'm still hanging with the 4:45s. Good few of the original group have dropped out. About halfway through I start to drop back myself and am running alone. I'm also starting to get angsty about the 20 mile mark which is where things went tits up during DCM. I keep on trucking around but the surface during the 1st Km and hills during the 2nd Km taking their toll. Crossing the finish line at the end of this lap means I'm halfway done.

Couple of the DCM 2019 grads are on hand to cheer me on at the finish line for a few laps, it gave me a great boost. Support within the group (not just for me) has been fantastic since we completed the novices program last year. You're all deadly!

Lap 6 - 30:06

Legs are tired now, no injury concerns which is great though. Pace has slowed a bit. Still moving. 20 mile mark approaching soon. Starting to get concerned that I'll suffer like hell as in DCM. Finally take that trip in to the woods :P The "hills" are starting to feel like much larger now. I think I feel like a blister is developing on my baby toe, again another thing that happened in DCM and it was excruciating. Feels like it's going to pop and start causing me issue but it goes away. Later when I get home I find it has indeed popped so I'm guessing my choice of footwear and the anti chafe cream I covered my toes with helped here.

Lap 7 - 33:38

Nerves get the better of me here and I do some run walking during 1st Km of the lap, I really really don't want to suffer like I did in DCM. Pace slowing down further. 4:45 pacers are long gone. Other folks are walking too so we keep each other company whilst doing our run walks. 20 mile mark comes and goes but I'm still moving. I could just about walk at this stage during DCM. 3 more parkruns to get done at the end of this lap. I think it's this lap where I meet Singer. Fairly sure I spotted him several times prior to the start of the race but I was a bag of nerves so I just kept to myself. I've been a bag of nerves since DCM if I'm honest. :o

Lap 8 - 36:18

Run walking most of the time now. Mind is wandering and to keep it from going to dark/dumb places I look at the watch and based on the Km mark for the lap I picture myself where I'd be in a particular parkrun. This gets me through this lap without much issue. A lot of people are finishing around this time as I'm crossing the line. "1 more parkrun to go" someone shouts... "2 more" :(:pac: At some stage on this lap the 5 hour pacers go by without me even noticing, I was just in a world of my own.

Lap 9 - 39:18

1 more lap after this is what I tell myself all the way throughout. I meet up with another gent who is walking and we start to work together to get through the final 20% of the race. Run walking at varying times and chatting along the way. The company was most welcome at this stage of the race. Mind is in a great place if I'm honest, I know I'm going to finish. Start to get a little cramp as I'm running in upper hamstring. I stretch as I approach the final 1Km mark and again on the home straight, it doesn't bother me again after this. About midway through I know I've also gotten a marathon PB which puts a smile on my face and gives another mental lift.

Lap 10 - 43:14

Still doing walk run with the gent from the previous lap. We've no chance of making the 5 hour cutoff but that doesn't dampen our spirits. Finishing is very much the goal right now. Get to the final 1Km on the lap and we decide to run the final bit on our own. Was delighted with the company for the past 2 laps. I cross the line running/jogging which is a fantastic feeling. I place my hands on my knees to gather myself to take in what I've achieved.

Post race
    Grab my potted plant medal and the remnants of my fuel/fluid setup and get to the tent to queue up for a well earned massage. I locate my bag and as I'm bending down to pick it up I begin to well up but gather myself before losing my sh!t in front of everyone. It has been a journey since a really disappointing and discouraging DCM so emotions were a little high at the end.

After the massage, the walk back to the car felt like it was another 5Km. I'd say the shuffle I carried out was hilarious. At this stage of DCM I was in agony. Hip, hamstrings and feet all took a beating that day but none of those came even close to that feeling during or after the race.

Final thoughts
    My fuel/fluid intake was much better this time. I took salt regularly to avoid any issues with cramp/dehydration which seemed to have pretty much worked albeit a brief cramp late in the day. More variety in what I was fueling with helped mentally too.

I wore a more cushioned shoe this time around as opposed to a "race" shoe and it paid dividends in the latter stages when it came to how blisters felt and also being able to do some form of running when I was just exhausted.

I probably started the run walk a little early but I wasn't sure if I could make it through at that stage so on the day it was the right call. I should've got more marathon distance racing done between DCM and Donadea but schedules didn't allow it so I'll try next time to fit them in.

Muscle on the right shin was a little bit tight in the latter stages so going to have that checked on Monday at physio. Feels like it just needs rest but still going to play it safe. Will evaluate a run when I'm done with the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Fantastic achievement and a great report. Amazing to keep pushing on after the marathon disappointment. Take your time to recover and you’ve got some huge improvements coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done, great achievement and report. Im not sure if i could mentally do the same loop 10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Fair play yesterday, 50k in tricky conditions is no mean feat, you've packed a lot into your relatively short running career so far :) you're still doing Comrades right? I'd say after that maybe ease off on the longer stuff and concentrate on getting consistent mileage and quality in without having a big target to aim for.

• Advertisement

Fantastic achievement and a great report. Amazing to keep pushing on after the marathon disappointment. Take your time to recover and you’ve got some huge improvements coming.

Cheers P, looking forward to the recovery.
    Well done, great achievement and report. Im not sure if i could mentally do the same loop 10 times.

Thanks! The laps were something that concerned me originally but it allowed those running it to plan their lap out later in the race when energy levels were low. You could choose which parts could be run/walk sections and you could use little milestones along the lap to work towards.
    healy1835 wrote: »
    Fair play yesterday, 50k in tricky conditions is no mean feat, you've packed a lot into your relatively short running career so far :) you're still doing Comrades right? I'd say after that maybe ease off on the longer stuff and concentrate on getting consistent mileage and quality in without having a big target to aim for.

Thanks! We were fairly isolated from the conditions within the forest so were lucky for it not to be a factor on the day. I reckon I ran about 30 seconds in the rain but that was it for the day. I think had it been scheduled for today it probably wouldn't have gone ahead.

Comrades is still on for sure. I have a small amount of logistical issues to get sorted for the trip but it's a go. The plan (right now anyway) after that is to take 3-4 weeks off and then decide how I'm going to approach DCM (and race series) starting in early July. The 4 miler in the race series may just be used as an easy run prior to Comrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats M - that's a great achievement so early in your running career. I'm glad that you had a positive experience this time. It strikes me reading that report just how much of a mental battle these distances are - it's hard to prepare for that side of things, so this and DCM will stand to you for the battles to come.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Congrats M - that's a great achievement so early in your running career. I'm glad that you had a positive experience this time. It strikes me reading that report just how much of a mental battle these distances are - it's hard to prepare for that side of things, so this and DCM will stand to you for the battles to come.

Cheers A. I knew going in that there would be suffering and I think this is where I was too naive going in to DCM. I was unsure after DCM how that would manifest so I opted to keep a PMA throughout Donadea and deal as best I could with anything that arose. Between reading race reports and talking to people on the course everyone had their own way of dealing with the suffering. When walking I tried to reaffirm to myself that I was walking strong, perhaps in reality I looked like a waddling overweight duck (:D) but I was moving closer to the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Loved that report M! Well done, serious mental strength there and I'm delighted you had a more enjoyable day than DCM!! Hope the recovery goes well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Really well done. It struck me looking at the Strava results how significant the extra distance is over the marathon. Feet up now for a while and mind the niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Well done M

Physio session on Monday went great and they were happy with how the body had bounced back after just a few days. The massage straight afterwards definitely played a part in that. Nothing to be concerned about bar the usual tight/fatigued muscles after such an effort. Might try some recovery miles in the next few days to see how the body really is. Got an epsom salts bath in tonight and then going to do some rolling/stretching tomorrow.

I've got my plan for the next 4 months laid out in my head after reading the Don Oliver book "Make sure of your Comrades medal". I just need to tweak it a little to fall in line with the races I've got lined up prior to June. Basics of it are a 6 day running week with easy days (6-10Km) from Tue to Sat with an LSR on the weekend. Will post more about it when I have it fully written down.

The few races I've got lined up are just about prepping for the main event in June, not race efforts for the distance bar the Connemarathon which is going to be brutal on the body. What I've got thus far are:

February - Wicklow Hospice Half
    March - Maurice Mullins Half
    April - Connemarathon Ultra
    May - Nothing lined up due to family commitments so I may have to do a solo Ultra early in the month as my last "race" giving me a month of taper.

I may also look at doing one of the "Marathon on a school day" events at the end of February or April depending on family schedule.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Loved that report M! Well done, serious mental strength there and I'm delighted you had a more enjoyable day than DCM!! Hope the recovery goes well now :)

Thanks V. I can't recover too long, the wine consumption won't help me in the long term. :)
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Really well done. It struck me looking at the Strava results how significant the extra distance is over the marathon. Feet up now for a while and mind the niggles.

Thanks E. I was prepared to finish the 50Km, not a single yard more. I think the same goes for any race distance whether its a 5Km or a marathon, if someone asked you to race (cool down pace is different) another Km immediately afterwards you'd tell them to GTFO :P
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Well done M

Thanks F! Got my fingers crossed for you in Manchester.

Week of February 9th - 16th

Pretty much nadda for the week bar a 5Km recovery run @ 7:25min/Km on Thursday and then yoga on Friday.

Plan for next 4 months almost finalised, just need to nail down a few details. Excited.

Week of February 17th - 23rd

First week of training block for the next 17 weeks. Twas going grand till my calf gave up the ghost in the 1/2 at the weekend after it being tight on Friday. Just back from physio and got some calf needling carried out. Will miss my usual Tuesday 8Km but should be back in action on Wednesday. Feel lucky that it's nothing serious. Back on the bike this week too, has been a number of weeks since I've been on it so looking forward to that.

Have started to integrate some walking in to my runs to get the body/mind used to the start/stop part of the goal race. Typically running 4-5Km and will add in 100-200 metres of walking before kicking on again. No issues with it thus far and hasn't affected paces all that much either.

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

S&C at lunch. Bit of a change in my usual S&C due to using a a new gym which has better equipment but is busier so I can't commandeer as much equipment at once so I've split my routine up. It was originally a circuit so now I've moved to doubling up exercises. 3 sets of each of the following.

Single leg heel raises & single leg seated heel raises.
    Single leg bridge & lateral hip raises
    Farmers walk & single leg deadlift
    Deadlift & pushups

5Km @ 6:25min/Km, 156avg HR. Straight after S&C. Ouch but good to be back running.

Wednesday

Lunch run. 10Km @ 6:26min/Km. 147avg HR.

Evening yoga.

Thursday

Morning runmute to work. 12km @ 6:28min/Km. 150avg HR.

Lunch S&C. Same as Tuesday.

Friday

Lunch yoga.

Evening runmute home. 8Km @ 6:22min/Km. 154avg HR. Calf was tight during this run. Stopped and stretched during it and got home. Some further stretching later that evening.

Saturday

Wicklow Hospice Half Marathon. Dropped out after 14Km. Sharp pain in the same calf as yesterday. Stretched and tried to go on but after a few steps I knew I had to stop.

Sunday

Was due a 5Km recovery run but did nothing due to the calf.

Hey M, just curious did the physio not advise any longer rest than a couple of days? Also, does the physio know you did a 50km just a couple of weeks ago... I can't help but feel you may be doing / expecting too much too soon after such a long race. Just my tuppence worth!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hey M, just curious did the physio not advise any longer rest than a couple of days? Also, does the physio know you did a 50km just a couple of weeks ago... I can't help but feel you may be doing / expecting too much too soon after such a long race. Just my tuppence worth!

Same physio I always use and someone I trust. It's a case of could be back Wednesday pending the response from my calf to the needling. In retrospect, Thursday's S&C should've been dropped with the 1/2 at the weekend, even if I wasn't running at what I'd expect my 1/2 pace to be. I'm sticking with the plan but not going to put the end goal in jeopardy either.

Ah great to have a physio you trust. I suppose I'd just naturally be a bit more cautious! Fingers crossed you recover well and soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll add my tuppence worth here too. What is the big rush to bucket list certain endurance events. DCM and Donadea both ended up with large amounts of walking. Would you not consider spending a lot more time building up a proper base before attempting these massive and admirable challenges?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll add my tuppence worth here too. What is the big rush to bucket list certain endurance events. DCM and Donadea both ended up with large amounts of walking. Would you not consider spending a lot more time building up a proper base before attempting these massive and admirable challenges?

No rush at all. The stars aligned between family, work and finances so I opted to go for it in 2020. I'm happy with the plan I've got from Don Oliver's book to get me across the finish line. I'll know in June whether it was sufficient but by all accounts its been applied successfully by lots of other people of varying abilities. There is lots more walking to be done. Thanks for your concern.

Not much progress with the calf since I last posted. Took several days off after the initial needling session which was on the larger meaty part of the calf muscle. Few days later, the soleus muscle (thinner underlying calf muscle) was still tight so got further needling. Walking around 4 days later it felt good. Decided to try a run last Tuesday and got about 500 metres in and hit a loose path tile and soleus went again so I'm at 2 weeks without a run now. Visit to phsyio on Friday and went through strengthening exercises in addition to an exercise which will gauge how ready I am for running but going to need patience. Will be another week before I'm ready to test it out though.

Given the current status of the calf, I'm unsure if I'll make Maurice Mullins half and Connemarathon Ultra may need to be reduced to the marathon or half. That's even if any of them are going to go ahead with COVID-19. Not heard of many cases down in South Africa so Comrades looks like it's on for the moment but not taking anything for granted. I'm also house bound for work due to them shutting down the office as a precaution. It's been a real odd few weeks between the injury and this virus outbreak.

Silver linings right now are the progress I've been making with some educational stuff for work and the calf doesn't hurt while cycling so I'm going to try keep the aerobic system ticking over by doing an 1-2 hours each morning during the week if it fits in with family timetable.

py wrote: »
    March - Maurice Mullins Half POSTPONED
    April - Connemarathon Ultra POSTPONED

Not that my calf is in good shape anyway but two prep races have been postponed. Have been keeping a close eye on things in SA and they're a few days behind us in terms of exposure to COVID-19. Not looking good but I'm 100% behind the decisions that have been made. Stay safe everyone.

Today was the day the dream died or at least finally set in mentally. :( Physically I'm still recovering, unsure when my calf will be 100%. I also can't see any way for Comrades to go ahead or for me to attend when I have family members in medium to high risk categories with regards to COVID-19. I'll come back to this if/when I get a desire to. Stay safe and fit everyone. :)

Have gotten a little bit of my running mojo back, something I'm really grateful for right now. I've managed to get to back to back 50Km+ weeks which is the first time I've done this since prior to Donadea. There's not going to be any racing until something gives with regards to the covid-19 virus, my wife is in a medium-high risk category so its not worth the risk. We've already had a scare which was a really challenging couple of weeks and we don't want a repeat of it. In addition to the running, I've gotten back on the bike indoors and outdoors. With no commutes due to WFH, the stretch in the evenings and dry weather has allowed for regular trips on the bike which weren't possible in the darker winter months.

The 5Km TT by OOnegative and the upcoming mile TT by Swashbuckler/Skyblue46 have provided an added distraction/challenge so a big thank you to all three of you for organising them. Managing a slim ~20 second PB in the 5Km TT was surprising given how little I'd run and I bagged 2nd place sandbagger to boot which I was mighty proud of :pac:

Going forward I'm planning on running to HR and following the Maffetone Method after doing some reading on it. It's going to keep things simple and also keep the intensity low. The past 2 weeks of running and cycling with the exception of 1 cycle which was just about hills and burning off some steam have all been run to the Maffetone method. I'm going to progress the distance each week by 8-10% with 3 weeks progressing at that rate and then a step back week. After the initial step back week I'm planning on distributing the 5 days mileage over 6 days and then continue to build at the 8-10% rate. Whilst there's no racing, a few of the 2019 grads have been discussing running a marathon distance on the DCM 2020 date so I'm keeping that as a test for later in the year at the back of my mind in addition to the monthly MAF tests and Boards TT which will hopefully continue.

Last week's running was as follows:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - MAF Test - 8Km @ 5:47min/Km 142bpm. "Junior parkrun" later that day with young lad.
    Wednesday - 8Km 6:16min/Km 139bpm
    Thursday - 8Km @ 6:32min/Km 142bpm
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 8Km @ 6:00min/Km 138bpm
    Sunday - 18Km @ 6:10min/Km 136bpm

MAF Test #1 results below. Not done on a track but will do the same route for each test moving forwards.
    Average Mile |Mile 1 |Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5
    9:18|9:01|9:07|9:23|9:36|9:26

A good week with a tough run on the Saturday with strong winds no matter which direction I was going. I need to sort a HR alert on the garmin bike computer to get alerts when HR drops out of my training range, will get that sorted for the upcoming week. The stop/start nature due to traffic lights will no doubt have it beeping endlessly. Looking forward to the increase in exercise radius to 20Km so I can plan better cycling routes.

Monday

Rest

Tuesday

Run - 8.9Km @ 6:38min/Km, 138bpm. Pushing the young lad in the buggy for this so pace was a little slower but kept the HR within range.

Wednesday

Run - 8.8Km @ 6:27min/Km, 140bpm.

Thursday

Run - 8.8Km @ 6:28min/Km, 137bpm.

Cycle - 35Km, 85mins, 125bpm.

Friday

Rest

Saturday

Run - 19.5Km @ 6:47min/Km, 139bpm. Wind, wind and more wind. Had to grab a bottle of water a little over halfway as felt really dehydrated.

Sunday

Run - 8.8Km @ 6:33min/Km, 139bpm. Another buggy run though this was with the addition of a hangover, felt ok during it but defo felt tired early afternoon. Nap time for the young lad turned in to nap time for dad too.

Cycle - 40Km, 95mins, 130bpm.

Total
    Run - 54.8Km
    Cycle - 75Km

• Advertisement

First of 2 weeks off at work was spent doing a lot of DIY. Time on my feet was far more than usual so by the time I reached Sunday, I managed the junior parkrun and left the remaining Kms so I could get some rest. Would've liked another cycle in there but the work at home took precedence this week. Got the HR alert set up on the cycle computer so it was a much more productive cycle on the Monday than in previous weeks. Step back week next week.

Monday

Cycle - 28Km, 60mins, 135bpm.

Tuesday

Run - 9.7Km @ 6:35min/Km, 138bpm

Wednesday

Run - 9.5Km @ 6:09min/Km, 138bpm

Thursday

Run - 9.8Km @ 6:08min/Km, 140bpm

Friday

Cycle - leisurely cycle with the two boys.

Saturday

Run - 21.25Km @ 6:19min/Km, 136bpm. Happy with how this long run went, HR was kept within desired range for 99% of the run.

Sunday

Run - Junior parkrun with one of the boys. Was supposed to be another 6-7Km done but left it at that after the week I had at home.

Total
    Run - 52.2Km
    Cycle - 28Km

Advertisement