Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

I wouldn't move McInerney back he is fine in midfield, maybe the solution is bring the corner forward (Ryan Taylor preferred ) into a roaming role between wing and corner, leave pat at 6 and bring back Colm Galvin (starting from the wing) as cover between mid field and center back

It would also allow to go 15 v 15 with the minimum amount of changes throughout the game

Or put someone that does have the pace in there? You shouldn't have to change you whole shape to protect a player. I'd be happier going 15 v 15 anyway. Or let one of the full forwards move around from time to time but rotate the men inside. We need to take the game to the opposition. That is the approach that suits us best. Sitting back inviting teams onto us doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Pat O'Connor doesn't have the pace for centre back. He got rinsed a couple of times yesterday and will get found out some time in the summer. Galvin or McInerney will possibly go in there when everyone is fit. Would be hard to move McInerney if he and Kelly work as well together.

I dont disagree pace is an issue with him. But my point is alot of players have had success at the position despite lacking in pace (Brian Hogan, Ronan Maher, Matt O'Hanlon, etc.). There is a long history there in that position. It will mostly depend on the role he play in Lohan's backline. If he is asked to play a similar role like Declan Hannon plays for Limerick, ie. sit deep, hold the center, read the game and protect the full back line, he could be effective. But if he is asked to stand out the field and go toe toe with a center forward, for sure I agree he would get exposed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The hurlers and footballers will be judged on completely different criteria this year I feel, the hurlers on the championship and the footballers on the league.

Looking at the hurlers, thanks to beating Wexford at the weekend we are pretty much guaranteed to be in the quarter finals so we've at least 4 competitive matches to lock down the team and style of play, it's hard to use the Carlow game as a guide for anything but looking at the Wexford game, Cleary looks ok at full back and McInerney & Kelly seem to be ok in midfield, I still have doubts over Kelly when he's being marked closely but he's flying at the moment. Centre back is a weak spot for us at the moment but the way the game is going at the moment anyone of the backs could end up there at anytime, having McInerney operating between our own 45 and the opponents 65 with Kelly going between the opposite seems to be a good mix so far.
    There's a MASSIVE gap between the league finishing and the championship starting (22nd of March till the 17th of May), with Clare not playing any club fixtures in this period I think there is a massive risk of players burn out or not being ready, Tipp will have had 1 round against Waterford out of the way by the time we get to Thurles so we'll really have to hit the ground running.

The footballers would have taken the hand off you to have 0 scoring difference and 2 points after 2 games, they have a great chance up in Roscommon at the weekend, the bookies are making them 5/2 underdogs but I think they've a great chance, if they can get anything out of that it'll set them up nicely but it looks like home wins are a must so we'll have to focus on them, 6 points is the minimum target to stay up I think and even at that scoring differences could come into it.
    In the championship again there's a big gap between the league and the championship and although we have the "good" side of the draw Tipp will fancy their chances against us, again I think the lack of club matches in April is a big mistake.

If I was made lord of the championship I'd have a round of the hurling pencilled in for the 29th of March and the 12th & 26th of April with the matches on the 29th potentially being cancelled if we reach the league final, the football I'd run on the 5th and 19th. By running the games here you'll have the county lads playing competitive matches but also having at least 2 weeks gap between the club and county championship, ffs the Irish rugby team don't get wrapped in cotton wool as much as our inter-county teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

letowski wrote: »
    I dont disagree pace is an issue with him. But my point is alot of players have had success at the position despite lacking in pace (Brian Hogan, Ronan Maher, Matt O'Hanlon, etc.). There is a long history there in that position. It will mostly depend on the role he play in Lohan's backline. If he is asked to play a similar role like Declan Hannon plays for Limerick, ie. sit deep, hold the center, read the game and protect the full back line, he could be effective. But if he is asked to stand out the field and go toe toe with a center forward, for sure I agree he would get exposed.

Maher and Hogan are/were dominant in the air and excelled at all other aspects of playing the position. O'Connor struggles in a lot of game's. He is a good stickman but he needs to be dominating the position and his man but is a weak link defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Clareman wrote: »
    The hurlers and footballers will be judged on completely different criteria this year I feel, the hurlers on the championship and the footballers on the league.

Looking at the hurlers, thanks to beating Wexford at the weekend we are pretty much guaranteed to be in the quarter finals so we've at least 4 competitive matches to lock down the team and style of play, it's hard to use the Carlow game as a guide for anything but looking at the Wexford game, Cleary looks ok at full back and McInerney & Kelly seem to be ok in midfield, I still have doubts over Kelly when he's being marked closely but he's flying at the moment. Centre back is a weak spot for us at the moment but the way the game is going at the moment anyone of the backs could end up there at anytime, having McInerney operating between our own 45 and the opponents 65 with Kelly going between the opposite seems to be a good mix so far.
    There's a MASSIVE gap between the league finishing and the championship starting (22nd of March till the 17th of May), with Clare not playing any club fixtures in this period I think there is a massive risk of players burn out or not being ready, Tipp will have had 1 round against Waterford out of the way by the time we get to Thurles so we'll really have to hit the ground running.

The footballers would have taken the hand off you to have 0 scoring difference and 2 points after 2 games, they have a great chance up in Roscommon at the weekend, the bookies are making them 5/2 underdogs but I think they've a great chance, if they can get anything out of that it'll set them up nicely but it looks like home wins are a must so we'll have to focus on them, 6 points is the minimum target to stay up I think and even at that scoring differences could come into it.
    In the championship again there's a big gap between the league and the championship and although we have the "good" side of the draw Tipp will fancy their chances against us, again I think the lack of club matches in April is a big mistake.

If I was made lord of the championship I'd have a round of the hurling pencilled in for the 29th of March and the 12th & 26th of April with the matches on the 29th potentially being cancelled if we reach the league final, the football I'd run on the 5th and 19th. By running the games here you'll have the county lads playing competitive matches but also having at least 2 weeks gap between the club and county championship, ffs the Irish rugby team don't get wrapped in cotton wool as much as our inter-county teams.

Regarding the County Championships being played in March and April, I think it would be an absolute crazy idea. Firstly you would have to change the whole structure of the two championships as in Football there are currently three groups of three teams and one group of four, while in the hurling there are eight first round games and then the winners play each other and then the losers play each other in round 2.

You would have teams knocked out of the championship in both codes in April and you would also have teams waiting potentially three or four months before they play either quarter finals, relegation play offs or the Senior B Championship. Also what about the Leagues no team will want to play in that if they are already knocked out of the Championship.

The whole championship would have to be restructured the only that this could be done is if you have two groups of eight in the hurling and one of group of six in the football and one group of seven in the football. Intermediate and Junior Championship would also have to be restructured. I think the current system in Clare works well in Clare for the moment in that the Leagues are ran off before Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Here here to that. That will silence DF and his fan club.

Aye, a league game in Fenruary will have been the priority for Davy! Obsessed!
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    Wexford have some very limited hurlers and really arent a top 5 team. Davy doesnt help.

Could have sworn that they are Leinster Champions and put the AI champions to the pin of their collar last year, Davy will have them in the middle of a greulling fitness programme at the minute and of course the result of this is that their hurling will look rusty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Regarding the County Championships being played in March and April, I think it would be an absolute crazy idea. Firstly you would have to change the whole structure of the two championships as in Football there are currently three groups of three teams and one group of four, while in the hurling there are eight first round games and then the winners play each other and then the losers play each other in round 2.

You would have teams knocked out of the championship in both codes in April and you would also have teams waiting potentially three or four months before they play either quarter finals, relegation play offs or the Senior B Championship. Also what about the Leagues no team will want to play in that if they are already knocked out of the Championship.

The whole championship would have to be restructured the only that this could be done is if you have two groups of eight in the hurling and one of group of six in the football and one group of seven in the football. Intermediate and Junior Championship would also have to be restructured. I think the current system in Clare works well in Clare for the moment in that the Leagues are ran off before Championship.

I don't think anyone can say that the current layout of the club championships in Clare is adaquate, BUT in an ideal world you'd get the first rounds over early in the year you wouldn't have to be playing the finals in October, if teams are struggling to stay motivated for the league if they are out of the championship then they'll lose their matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Anyone hear the intense speculation that a certain "you know who" is set to return from his travails down under in the coming weeks?

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Aye, a league game in Fenruary will have been the priority for Davy! Obsessed!

Could have sworn that they are Leinster Champions and put the AI champions to the pin of their collar last year, Davy will have them in the middle of a greulling fitness programme at the minute and of course the result of this is that their hurling will look rusty.

Ha! Don't tell me that Mr fitz junior Wexicans weren't putting it all in on Sunday. Against his arch enemy Lohan. Just imagine his smug face if he defeated his native county in Wexford Park and most especially defeating Brian.

Pogue I really question your motives here. Is it the case that your really are an admirer of DF or are you trying to wind up Clare fans. I think it's fair to say that everyone including yourself knows that answer. Shame that I always had great time for Tipp people including to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Clareman wrote: »

He does look physically in very good condition to be fair to him. I'd say he has a good bit of weight room work done over the Christmas break. And it was important Kelly got a good lay off over the winter and come back fresh.

I taught he worked hard on Sunday. The two points he got late were beauties, but over the course of the game he got stuck in and put in a couple of tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

All the talk about centre back. Does anyone think Kevin Hehir would be able to perform at the highest level? Or maybe you could turn Davy Mc into a Declan Hannon type centre back, as another user proposed.
    In the general the problem with this Clare squad is that it's hard to select a forward line because we're overflowing with them (Niall Deasy, Aaron Shanagher, Aaron Cunningham, Cathal McInerney.) Only recently have Ryan Taylor and Ian Galvin come off the bench.
    But we have a tight cut with the backs.
    I think this is probably the best selection
    Patrick O'Connor-Conor Cleary-Jason McCarthy
    Seadna Morey-Cathal Malone-Aidan McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Anyone hear the intense speculation that a certain "you know who" is set to return from his travails down under in the coming weeks?

It's a load of bull

It's a load of bull

let a man hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Feenie wrote: »
    All the talk about centre back. Does anyone think Kevin Hehir would be able to perform at the highest level? Or maybe you could turn Davy Mc into a Declan Hannon type centre back, as another user proposed.
    In the general the problem with this Clare squad is that it's hard to select a forward line because we're overflowing with them (Niall Deasy, Aaron Shanagher, Aaron Cunningham, Cathal McInerney.) Only recently have Ryan Taylor and Ian Galvin come off the bench.
    But we have a tight cut with the backs.
    I think this is probably the best selection
    Patrick O'Connor-Conor Cleary-Jason McCarthy
    Seadna Morey-Cathal Malone-Aidan McCarthy

Wouldn't thin Jason McCarthy is up to it. He gives away frees way too easy.. and looses the head a bit too often..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Are Paul Flanagan, Oisin O'Brien, Rory Hayes or Jamie Shanahan involved with hurlers this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ha! Don't tell me that Mr fitz junior Wexicans weren't putting it all in on Sunday. Against his arch enemy Lohan. Just imagine his smug face if he defeated his native county in Wexford Park and most especially defeating Brian.

Pogue I really question your motives here. Is it the case that your really are an admirer of DF or are you trying to wind up Clare fans. I think it's fair to say that everyone including yourself knows that answer. Shame that I always had great time for Tipp people including to this day.

Wow just wow :D yes it is me who has questionable motives, you are a gas man! You literally opened your account to have a go at Davy Fitz.

We will see at the end of the season where both Clare and Wexford stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Gael85 wrote: »
    Are Paul Flanagan, Oisin O'Brien, Rory Hayes or Jamie Shanahan involved with hurlers this year?

Rory hayes back with them and shanahan is trying to sort out his back issues, other 2 are gone as far as i know but coaching with clare minors

Here are Clare's fixtures for 2020
    Clare vs Tipperary, Thurles
    Clare vs Limerick, Cusack Park
    Clare vs Cork, Pairc Ui Chaoimh
    Clare vs Waterford, Cusack Park
    out of these games, which do ye think Clare will win lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

There all tough games, would have to say Waterford at home, Cork away but our record isnt great against them. If there isnt fire in the belly for the limerick game after last years humiliation then they may aswell throw there hat at it. I think we will get two wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Ciaran Russell and Darren O'Neill both transferred back to Eire Og.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I think Tipp will be there for the taking first day out. Both home games as well. 3 will definitely have us in Munster final.

Unfortunately I think there is a 2 tier Munster championship forming with Tipp and Limerick ahead of the other 3, I's say our last 2 games will be to decide who gets 3rd in the group and we don't have a great run with 3 games in 3 weeks in a row.

Tipp people are a little bit less sure of their chances this year. Not alot of the younger lads putting their hands up. Limerick look good again but then again I question them after last year, they really bottled it against Kilkenny when the pressure was on them. Cork Clare and Waterford are all capable of beating both.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Tipp people are a little bit less sure of their chances this year. Not alot of the younger lads putting their hands up. Limerick look good again but then again I question them after last year, they really bottled it against Kilkenny when the pressure was on them. Cork Clare and Waterford are all capable of beating both.

Limerick didnt bottle it last year Marty Xavier. That's quiet a stretch. They didnt perform for 35 mins against Kilkenny but then nearly won anyway. I couldn't question Limericks resolve or character. Clare will have it all to do to beat them in Ennis. I see Cork, Limerick and one other..could say who but Id have to have Tipperary the best of the other 3.

Niallers87 wrote: »
    There all tough games, would have to say Waterford at home, Cork away but our record isnt great against them. If there isnt fire in the belly for the limerick game after last years humiliation then they may aswell throw there hat at it. I think we will get two wins.

I think 3. If Clare were playing Tipp in Cusack Park, 4.
    Wateford and Cork are pretty down for now. Cork have to wait for their underage hurlers if you ask me. It'll happen this decade and they'll come out and dominate in my opinion. Waterford are just down and out even if they've been doing pretty well in the league.
    Limerick are in Cusack Park, Clare's fortress. Clare will want to get back at them and makeup for 2019. Limerick have been doing well in the pre-season but in my opinion Tipp could have beat them down had they not grown complacent and let Limerick win. I thought that game was more of a Tipp defeat than Limerick victory. To put it simply Clare are up to snuff with them, as was shown the year they won the All-Ireland (2018), but they just need to try hard, harder than did in 2019 atleast and they'll win.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Limerick didnt bottle it last year Marty Xavier. That's quiet a stretch. They didnt perform for 35 mins against Kilkenny but then nearly won anyway. I couldn't question Limericks resolve or character. Clare will have it all to do to beat them in Ennis. I see Cork, Limerick and one other..could say who but Id have to have Tipperary the best of the other 3.

They arrived into that game expecting to win by just showing up. They crumbled under the blitz defence that Kilkenny put on them. Let's remember that Kilkenny were beaten by most teams last year.

They arrived into that game expecting to win by just showing up. They crumbled under the blitz defence that Kilkenny put on them. Let's remember that Kilkenny were beaten by most teams last year.

In general Brian Cody (and by extension Kilkenny) seems to be the perfect counter for Limerick. Kilkenny's backs are notorious for being very tight marking under Cody. The space Limerick live and breathe on isn't there in the event of that happening.

Hearing that Met Eireann likely to upgrade warnings re Storm Ciara to status RED nationwide tomorrow. If true then all Allianz League matches in football will be called off on Sunday including Roscommon v Clare. Possibility of next weekend as the date for re-fixtures in NFL round 3, but as ever everything is in the lap of the weather gods.

• Advertisement

Hearing that Met Eireann likely to upgrade warnings re Storm Ciara to status RED nationwide tomorrow. If true then all Allianz League matches in football will be called off on Sunday including Roscommon v Clare. Possibility of next weekend as the date for re-fixtures in NFL round 3, but as ever everything is in the lap of the weather gods.

ORANGE nationwide warning issued re Storm Ciara via Met Eireann, The warning is valid from 5 am Sunday morning to 12 pm on Sunday.

Advertisement