Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's an eclectic mix is the best way to sum them up. There's one older, Eastern European gentleman who is something else, I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall and seen the reaction when he showed up for his interview.

I'd say it's extremely hard to recruit in Ireland (especially for a company like DC). A few weeks ago driver on mine was a very well spoken middle class Irish guy which was quite a shock, very much the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The drivers are odd, on one long trip to Dublin we had a young guy who looked like a skater absolutely tearing it up the motorway, an old lady behind me was fit to lose her life, shouting loudly (well within earshot of the driver) about how the driver is mad and she's never taking this bus again!

The old woman in this case needs to go away and not distract the driver on a motorway at high speed. Doing what she does only annoy drivers more and aggravate them.

There's no such thing as a bus flying up the motorway in the way described. All coaches are limited to the same 100km/h as each other. Only incredibly slight differences based on tyre wear.

If I were to drive my bus in accordance to the old people like her looking over my shoulder all day we'd be driving miss Daisy around the country side all day at 60 kmh , stopping for tea and biscuits every 30 mins. Them days are gone. People have places to be !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The old woman in this case needs to go away and not distract the driver on a motorway at high speed. Doing what she does only annoy drivers more and aggravate them.

There's no such thing as a bus flying up the motorway in the way described. All coaches are limited to the same 100km/h as each other. Only incredibly slight differences based on tyre wear.

If I were to drive my bus in accordance to the old people like her looking over my shoulder all day we'd be driving miss Daisy around the country side all day at 60 kmh , stopping for tea and biscuits every 30 mins. Them days are gone. People have places to be !

Only issue is I've seen these coaches going a lot more then 100km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Personally I didn't mind so much and was rather enjoying the sense of panic created by this woman who thought she was in some kind of death-trap but it was a combo of speed and a couple of dodgy overtakes that set her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Fair enough about distracting the driver , But I've seen a DC go well above 100kmph on many occasion. Last week for instance I was doing 100 and one overtook me on the M50, It was going at least 120-130 kmph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The speed on a coach/ bus is calibrated legally but they can be off due to various different things such as tires etc.

A coach I drive tomorrow could be set up to 100 km/h and if I take out the GPS for speed only and use it , it may show me doing 97kmh or 101kmh depending on the bus.

Again could be down to things such as tyre wear and calibration etc.

I've often sat in the car on a road at 100kmh and been over taken by a bus that seems to be moving a fair whack faster but when you crack out the GPS again the car is reading differently on the dash than the GPS. The dash could show 100 when infact you are only doing 95.

All these factors play a part so I wouldn't assume they aren't limited just like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The speed on a coach/ bus is calibrated legally but they can be off due to various different things such as tires etc.

A coach I drive tomorrow could be set up to 100 km/h and if I take out the GPS for speed only and use it , it may show me doing 97kmh or 101kmh depending on the bus.

Again could be down to things such as tyre wear and calibration etc.

I've often sat in the car on a road at 100kmh and been over taken by a bus that seems to be moving a fair whack faster but when you crack out the GPS again the car is reading differently on the dash than the GPS. The dash could show 100 when infact you are only doing 95.

All these factors play a part so I wouldn't assume they aren't limited just like that.

In my car 127 kph on the digital display is 120kph on the GPS, so that is true that there is a variation on the speedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »
    I'd say it's extremely hard to recruit in Ireland (especially for a company like DC). A few weeks ago driver on mine was a very well spoken middle class Irish guy which was quite a shock, very much the exception.

They have quiet a few Brits as well
    When i got it back from Cork the bus took a very circuitous route in Waterford- turned left after WIT/old Waterford Crystal site and up through older housing estates and by the Super Valu and down into the Quays- does it normally do this? I'd have assumed it would take the normal route into the city via Manor st as that would be much quicker I'd imagine?

Where did they come out one of the narrow streets or over rice bridge to turn back.

Before Christmas one turned over by the station and did a 360 outside the bus station to access the stop blocking the while place up instead of going 300m or so to the roundabout and turning.
    Like what? BE already chopped the X7 giving DB a free hand to Kilkenny and the DC route seems to be doing very well now. I would like to see some of the X/4 's serve Kilkenny but appreciate people in Waterford like a direct run up the M9 if possible.

Most route 4 don't use the M9 these days.

They have noticed the level of KK-Waterford traffic and possibly adjusting route 40 to cater and putting newer buses on the route.

Time will tell but I think to little to late...
    Wasn't there a 2.00am service from the Airport that went via Kilkenny- is that gone now as well, can't see it on the timetable.

EDIT- Sorry that was JJ Kavannagh I was thinking of!

The 02.30 BE called Kilkenny-Carlow-Airport for a few years. It was dropped when they extended 4 to New Ross to fill in for the cancellation of cross country Waterford-Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m rubbish on Waterford street names but it came down the hill past the Aldi with multi storey car park down a narrow street and right into the Quay and back down to the roundabout and around towards the M9 direction. I really assume that is not the approved route? Maybe there was a crash or something he was avoiding but on everyday route it made absolutely no sense to be trapsing a large coach through residential streets with lots of parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

I’m rubbish on Waterford street names but it came down the hill past the Aldi with multi storey car park down a narrow street and right into the Quay and back down to the roundabout and around towards the M9 direction. I really assume that is not the approved route? Maybe there was a crash or something he was avoiding but on everyday route it made absolutely no sense to be trapsing a large coach through residential streets with lots of parked cars.

The Glen into Penrose Lane you mean. W1 and W5 go down there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

And the 1645 off the WIT to Dublin (05 decrepit Setra with mismatched tinted/not tinted windows) has just left at 1641, passengers jogging in the Cork Road to try catch it up in the traffic.

91wx763 wrote: »
    And the 1645 off the WIT to Dublin (05 decrepit Setra with mismatched tinted/not tinted windows) has just left at 1641, passengers jogging in the Cork Road to try catch it up in the traffic.

Tinted were original so any get broke they replace with clear.

Seen a few 2004 like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Where did they come out one of the narrow streets or over rice bridge to turn back.

Before Christmas one turned over by the station and did a 360 outside the bus station to access the stop blocking the while place up instead of going 300m or so to the roundabout and turning.

Winterval maybe?? The mall does be blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

road_high wrote:

Yeah, they do that to avoid the gridlock on parnell Street at busy times. Lots of the city buses take that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Lads, just asked a driver of a DC to turn off the heat today on a bus and he did. Plus turned on the aircon bonus.. I guess you can just ask rather than bake alive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The drivers are odd, on one long trip to Dublin we had a young guy who looked like a skater absolutely tearing it up the motorway, an old lady behind me was fit to lose her life, shouting loudly (well within earshot of the driver) about how the driver is mad and she's never taking this bus again!

There’s a missed opportunity to quote lines to her from the movie Speed.

There's a bomb on a bus.
    Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour,
    the bomb is armed.
    If it drops below 50, it blows up.
    What do you do?
    What do you do?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Lads, just asked a driver of a DC to turn off the heat today on a bus and he did. Plus turned on the aircon bonus.. I guess you can just ask rather than bake alive

DC tend to over do the heat. I always try to have water on DC for this reason.

There’s a missed opportunity to quote lines to her from the movie Speed.

There's a bomb on a bus.
    Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour,
    the bomb is armed.
    If it drops below 50, it blows up.
    What do you do?
    What do you do?

Pop quiz hot shot....

If only they turned the fog lights off everything would be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DC tend to over do the heat. I always try to have water on DC for this reason.

Helps with engine cooling.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

We are broken down on the edge of a roundabout just outside Waterford. Do they not maintain these things at all? I think this is the third breakdown since June. This is on top of the bus arriving 15 minutes late at the pick up point in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

We are broken down on the edge of a roundabout just outside Waterford. Do they not maintain these things at all? I think this is the third breakdown since June. This is on top of the bus arriving 15 minutes late at the pick up point in Kilkenny.

Seems the standard features of putting your life in their hands.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

what bus is it/year?

I've noticed newer coaches on this route all week. the oldest being 2010 which is new for that route!

Haven't seen the Chinese coach in a while???

I think it was a Setra coach. Not sure of the year. Our replacement coach arrived. That's water between the glass on the bus in the picture. I uploaded from my phone. The orientation is wrong but you get the idea.

Uploaded a screen shot of photo instead. Orientation correct in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I think it was a Setra coach. Not sure of the year. Our replacement coach arrived. That's water between the glass on the bus in the picture. I uploaded from my phone. The orientation is wrong but you get the idea.

Uploaded a screen shot of photo instead. Orientation correct in that one.

Thirty minutes from breakdown to replacement coach arrives. That’s quick, they got a depot down there?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Haven't seen the Chinese coach in a while???

It's no longer licensed for service and hasn't been for a while.

Thirty minutes from breakdown to replacement coach arrives. That’s quick, they got a depot down there?

I think the replacement coach came from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

When are the new coaches arriving?

devnull wrote: »
    It's no longer licensed for service and hasn't been for a while.

It's a 2014 though isn't it?
    To expensive for parts maybe?

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »
    When are the new coaches arriving?

They'll only go on Belfast.

Advertisement