Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

This attitude is difficult for me to understand.
    People don't want total enforcement of the law?
    So what do they want? partial enforcement, or no enforcement?

I think if we have laws we should aim for total enforcement, or else repeal the law entirely.

Complaining about total enforcement is not consistent with wanting the law in the first place. I find it bizarre that non-criminals would want a system of partial enforcement, and would want people with hundred's of convictions on the streets.

I have no real problem with using technology to enforce necessary laws. I can see that Irish society does have a problem. Ordinary people need to learn that the current system benefits petty criminals and it doesn't benefit the majority of people.

I only support a system which controls criminal behaviour, and serious anti social behaviour. Choosing exactly what they are though is tricky.
    How can you not understand people not wanting an authoritarian system? People can still want a more severe clampdown on crime/ASB yet not want the civil liberties of law abiding people impinged upon. These two views are not mutually exclusive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

I don't understand what civil liberties are being infringed when the law is enforced.

There are two separate issues here, detection of crime, and punishment of crime.

Cameras offer the chance of close to 100% detection of certain crimes.

A Social Credit System allows for punishment of those crimes in a way which matters to people, and which therefore changes their behaviour, in ways that society wants.

We already have Social Credit in Ireland. No homeless people were allowed to gaze upon the Queen when she visited. They were considered not to have sufficient social credit.

I'm just saying we should be brave about it, and be honest, and not sneak around behind people's backs banning homeless people from the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I don't understand what civil liberties are being infringed when the law is enforced.

What law and what prohibition would you like to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

I hate Yankee candles. They smell disgusting and make me cough. I open a window if the room needs airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sambuca kid 123

vriesmays wrote: »
    The next small town who protests that asylum seekers are welcome should be made house every one of them from direct provision.

We should accept asylum seekers however areas accepting should have the necessary housing,jobs and services available for the asylum seekers when they move in.
    Not just bung them in a provision centre in Donegal or Leitrim that are struggling to provide the basics for the people already living there.
    I know a lot of people in these counties and thier realistic views are being treated as rascist which couldn't be further from the truth. As with most areas there is some rascist but don't let that deflect from the real issue that they have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

My unpopular opinion is that our government hates our people and intends to destroy our society.

Charlie Flanagan is a traitor to Ireland, like his father before him.

Leo is depraved and hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland is now a feminine society, most Eastern European countries are still masculine societies. That's why they don't accept 3rd world chancers and their women are more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Camera's on smartphones these days are really good but they look absolutely hideous.
    Huge 4 camera circles or huge square
    No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

I love drinking Mead, but everyone I know turns their noses at it.It is just lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

We should accept asylum seekers however areas accepting should have the necessary housing,jobs and services available for the asylum seekers when they move in.
    Not just bung them in a provision centre in Donegal or Leitrim that are struggling to provide the basics for the people already living there.
    I know a lot of people in these counties and thier realistic views are being treated as rascist which couldn't be further from the truth. As with most areas there is some rascist but don't let that deflect from the real issue that they have.

How do these struggles to provide basics manifest? I’m from a small town in one of the more economically-depressed parts of the country and it’s a town that has housed asylum seekers for a long time. I haven’t lived there for a while myself but have lots of family who still do, including my parents. I’m not going to say it’s utopia but it’s a functioning town with all the necessary services, some of which have been refurbished recently. It’s a normal market town with low crime. How the housing of asylum seekers is supposed to have damaged my hometown, I do not know. Genuinely.

• Advertisement

Men and women should get paid the same for sport regardless whether or not they're participating directly against one another; especially in the same tournament where they play simultaneously eg tennis at Wimbledon.

It's also sexist that they have to be confined to their own gender identity when competing; well apart from novelty events like mixed doubles.

The ISPS Handa Vic Open is a shining example of this new thinking. Golf is far ahead in terms of fairness compared to soccer for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw3beYk7znAhXCuHEKHZlABb8QqQIIMCgAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lpga.com%2Fnews%2F2020-isps-handa-vic-open-pioneers-new-thinking&usg=AOvVaw0Hq_RIRFDI6C4B_ixARP6T

#notbeforetoimeyouruddybogans

I can see why this might be an unpopular opinion, but thanks to great work from millionaire celebrities and the like it'll soon be hopefully confined to history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Get real you can't have a man playing dress up in a woman's event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Men and women should get paid the same for sport regardless whether or not they're participating directly against one another; especially in the same tournament where they play simultaneously eg tennis at Wimbledon.

It's also sexist that they have to be confined to their own gender identity when competing; well apart from novelty events like mixed doubles.

The ISPS Handa Vic Open is a shining example of this new thinking. Golf is far ahead in terms of fairness compared to soccer for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw3beYk7znAhXCuHEKHZlABb8QqQIIMCgAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lpga.com%2Fnews%2F2020-isps-handa-vic-open-pioneers-new-thinking&usg=AOvVaw0Hq_RIRFDI6C4B_ixARP6T

I can see why this might be an unpopular opinion, but thanks to great work from millionaire celebrities and the like it'll soon be hopefully confined to history :)

Utter delusion.
    Tell me how would womens soccer pay their players the same money as the men when their gates are pathetic.

Even if the compete in the same event , lets say at a game like darts, why should the women, who are worse, and that is a fact, get the same as the men who are better, plus it is proven that dart sessions with there are more womens games, sell less, because people dont care.., and have less interest in a more inferior product.

In sport some people are better than others and deserve more, and in most cases get it due to them being reason for ticket sales.

I don't understand why men are necessarily better at darts than women..is it just down to playing it longer?..

Darts is very lower class too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Sportspeople should be paid according to how much money they generate.
    That is the nature of professional sport.
    How would you propose to pay female footballers the same as men when they generate a fraction of the income?

I think you'll find women would be the first to complain if gender separation was eliminated in professional sport. There probably wouldn't be a single female athlete at the Olympics if they had to compete against men.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rodin wrote: »
    I think you'll find women would be the first to complain if gender separation was eliminated in professional sport. There probably wouldn't be a single female athlete at the Olympics if they had to compete against men.

There might be. But they’d be the type that used to have/still have a cock. See McKinnion, Rachel.

Mckinnon.jpg

Omackeral wrote: »
    There might be. But they’d be the type that used to have/still have a cock. See McKinnion, Rachel.

Mckinnon.jpg

Can't stand him.
    I'd be rightly annoyed if Id to compete against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Rodin wrote: »
    There are already men who say that they identify as women competing in sports at a professional level and they win because women are at a physical disadvantage to them. On a different note, the Williams sisters are physically taller and far more masculine in their build than most of the male players.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

smilerf wrote: »
    Get real you can't have a man playing dress up in a woman's event

Sure they can, look at the lads that get up in drag for the ladies marathon. Bet they think they're hilarious...as if they're the first ones to think of doing that.

• Advertisement

There are already men who say that they identify as women competing in sports at a professional level and they win because women are at a physical disadvantage to them. On a different note, the Williams sisters are physically taller and far more masculine in their build than most of the male players.

Neither would make first round for any of the men's open competitions. Venus has been beaten twice by a child for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Omackeral wrote: »

Mckinnon.jpg
    Speaking of cock, I can't find it now, but there's a photo somewhere of a guy getting first prize from some women's competition, wrestling I think, and he has a visible erection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Speaking of cock, I can't find it now.

Hur hur hur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

That is such a ridiculous statement... :pac:

The williams sisters are bigger and more masculine in physique, by female standards. They most certainly are not more masculine than their male tennis counterparts! Get a grip! :rolleyes:

Even Serena Williams admitted, that she would not stand a chance against any of the top 100 male tennis players! They were far too fast and strong, and she was glad to be competing in the Women's game! (Which is not a statement of weakness btw - just merely a statement of fact)

The decline and dying out of hurling in many counties is completely the fault of the GAA central committee, who are more concerned with placing glossy ads for senior gaa football and other fixtures on tv and radio. Long, lilting ads peppered with "beautiful" and other superlatives.

The same folk should take a look at what the IRFU are doing to grow Irish rugby so effectively both for younger players and all supporters.

The decline and dying out of hurling in many counties is completely the fault of the GAA central committee, who are more concerned with placing glossy ads for senior gaa football and other fixtures on tv and radio. Long, lilting ads peppered with "beautiful" and other superlatives.

The same folk should take a look at what the IRFU are doing to grow Irish rugby so effectively both for younger players and all supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

On a different note, the Williams sisters are physically taller and far more masculine in their build than most of the male players.

Nah, they aren't really.

They are physically more masculine than most of the female players which certainly is an advantage when playing female players but they wouldn't have much of a chance against any of the top 20 male players.

Venus is very tall for a woman at 6' 1". Serena is 5' 9". Venus is pretty near the average for a top male tennis player but certainly not taller than most of them. Serena would be below average on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nah, they aren't really.

They are physically more masculine than most of the female players which certainly is an advantage when playing female players but they wouldn't have much of a chance against any of the top 20 male players.

Venus is very tall for a woman at 6' 1". Serena is 5' 9". Venus is pretty near the average for a top male tennis player but certainly not taller than most of them. Serena would be below average on that front.

closer to top 100 male players than top 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

All animals should be in the wild.

Pets shouldn't exist; hate seeing them on leashes, in cages or left in a house all day long

• Advertisement

al87987 wrote: »
    All animals should be in the wild.

Pets shouldn't exist; hate seeing them on leashes, in cages or left in a house all day long

For a lot of dogs kept in cities, I'd mostly agree. For cats, I don't agree. My cat beside me has a life of luxury compared to the street cats outside.

Advertisement