Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught speeding

• 29-01-2020 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Hi all convinced I got caught speeding 3 weeks ago by a go safe van but haven’t heard anything, I’ll take it as a lesson if I was.So I was wondering does anyone with recent experience know how long they take I heard they’re pretty quick now. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Comments

Varies tbh.

If you’ve learned your lesson why does it matter whether it comes or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Varies tbh.

Was just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I've seen the letter arrive from anywhere within a week to a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I got caught 3 years ago by a Go safe van and I got the ticket within 10 days.

Im living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

If you don't receive it within a month you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Ian Bumpy Cap

Varies tbh.

Bizarre statement :confused:

Friend in work got caught a few weeks ago and had his ticket in the post in 4 days so I was just wondering was this the norm

Bizarre statement :confused:

What’s bizarre? He either got caught, in which case he’ll be receiving a fine, or he didn’t. Why does it matter how long the letter will take?

What’s bizarre? He either got caught, in which case he’ll be receiving a fine, or he didn’t. Why does it matter how long the letter will take?

Would still like to know either way obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 14 finjoe

I wouldnt be happy for upto around a month or so after...very hard to say...maybe your friends of a cop or family member or political connections..apparently its still possible to get them quahsed IF you have contacts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Varies tbh.

Because if it comes he gets a fine, if it doesn't he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Are you trying to be obtuse here? I think the op just wants to know if he is about to get a 80 quid or whatever cost to insurance etc bill or if he can forget about it. Sounds like you are just coming across high and mighty for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If you don't receive it within a month you should be fine.

And if not they should be fined.. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Took 6 weeks for a friend of mine, mid-October to early December.

Aeternum wrote: »

Go safe or was he stopped by a Garda?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Don199 wrote: »
    Go safe or was he stopped by a Garda?

Not entirely sure - think he might have been stopped by Garda.

Not entirely sure - think he might have been stopped by Garda.

Pretty sure go safe is a lot quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Id say theyre like banks. At a certain date/time, they do a batch job of all transactions/fines to save themselves and fulck it all into the post. So you could be just before that date or just after or anything in between.

Points dont get added until fine paid.

• Advertisement

Also do go safe vans have to be in designated go safe zones as indicated on the garda website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Wishox

Hi all, I was stopped today by a Guard on a bike, 125kph in a 100kph leaving cork , The garda asked to see my licience and i showed him but he took a photo of it and didnt write anything down, Does he have the right to do this under the EU GDPR rules ? where will it be stored and for how long, who has access to it etc, Any info would be great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he has the right to take your details.
    and you were breaking the law, not him. good god, just take the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

If you don't open the letter then you never saw what was in the letter which is basically the same as not getting the letter in the first place. get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wishox wrote: »
    Hi all, I was stopped today by a Guard on a bike, 125kph in a 100kph leaving cork , The garda asked to see my licience and i showed him but he took a photo of it and didnt write anything down, Does he have the right to do this under the EU GDPR rules ? where will it be stored and for how long, who has access to it etc, Any info would be great.

Welcome to the 21st century, well more the Gardai as they are getting new toys and they really are enjoying them.

They have new phones with apps so the process of writing a ticket is just made easier and it's proof he pulled you over too.

Unfortunately you got caught, €80 fine and then the points off the RSA.

Welcome to the 21st century, well more the Gardai as they are getting new toys and they really are enjoying them.

They have new phones with apps so the process of writing a ticket is just made easier and it's proof he pulled you over too.

Unfortunately you got caught, €80 fine and then the points off the RSA.

I hear ye and fully accept it, was just wondering, thanks

Edit: would still like to know about the GDPR issue ?

On their system your details can be kept as they don't follow them rules as such.....

They can't just spout out anything about you but retention of data is a must for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

If it was his own phone it would be a gdpr issue. Garda issued I'm not so sure but if that's the way they operate now I'd say its within the regs.

celt262 wrote: »
    If it was his own phone it would be a gdpr issue. Garda issued I'm not so sure but if that's the way they operate now I'd say its within the regs.

It is they are in the process of getting phones with the app so they can access all their systems.

This is how they are finding the disqualified drivers and such without contacting anyone else... Does be on twitter.

• Advertisement

How would we know about if its his personal phone or an issued one ? should he declare that and explain what he is doing, not being smart about it , i got caught cool, But seriously interested in it as i have never seen it used before. As far as i know know you are entitled to show them the licience details under the law, but what if i said no, you can see it but cannot tqke a photo, im not sure if i would be breaking the law if i didnt let him take a photo.

Advertisement