Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Are we going a bit off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Are we going a bit off topic?

That ship sailed a long looooooong time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How would this mechanical battery work? The topography doesn’t particularly suit building high lakes.

West coast, where we have the most wind and cliffs about 200m above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Sorry to jump in here, just starting to look at this. The ESB site says €4,800 or €5,200 depending on diversion to the immersion, for 'installation'

Is that for them to do it? Or an ESB approved installer? Is that a high price?

The site doesn't ask for more than the province, the orientation of the hosue and the roof slope.

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭championc

Triman111 wrote: »
    Hi all - I'm new to the thread, and just in process of getting a quote.

The hosue is fairly neergy effiicient at present, we are only looking to install a 3x2, questions are as follows:

Should we split east v west?
    Should be go battery or diverter or neither?
    What are the typical costs we should be thinking of?
    anything else to look out for?

I know some of the answers depends on our usage pattern, but we don't have an Electric car nor a night meter, but may in the future...

Be very careful when thinking about an easy & west combined solution. It can be done if both sets are on separate strings, but then the voltage would be too low to start up an inverter. However, if they all went on the same string, you would need to see about installing optimizers on all panels, allowing all panels to produce independently. Otherwise, the higher producing panels will be dragged down to the output of the lower producing panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭phester28

3 panels on east and 3 on west should be fine for an appropriately sized dual string inverter. most small inverters start at 60-90V. But all info provided is correct. IMO optimizers would not be cost effective solution for a small setup like this, easier to use a small dual string inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Triman111

Thanks Garo. hi - annual usage is 3000KWh
    We were recommend a 1.85Kwp system on the basis that our annual consumption isn't massive.
    We have a gas boiler so must check if the cylinder has an immersion inbuild or not.
    We bvought this house a couple of years back do we're not sure.
    The grant is higher for smaller system so that's why I am veering towards a smaller system.
    Is there a seperate grant for a battery?
    Cheers.

We consume about 5000kWh per annum. We have a gas boiler and HW cylinder too. Most cylinders come with an inbuilt immersion or have a spot where they can be fitted in cheaply. Like 100€ ish.

We went with a 4.8kW system that is split E/W. In the summer we produce too much and in the winter too little. That’s life with solar.

If you go with 2kW only you get a grant of 1800. If you then add a battery you get an additional 600 and then 300 for each subsequent kW of panels. I would recommend getting more panels. At least twice as many as you are planning. Ask your installer how much extra it would be. A battery and/or diverter would be optional.

Your system seems to have been sized according to the needs of the installer and not you.

BarryM wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here, just starting to look at this. The ESB site says €4,800 or €5,200 depending on diversion to the immersion, for 'installation'

Is that for them to do it? Or an ESB approved installer? Is that a high price?

The site doesn't ask for more than the province, the orientation of the hosue and the roof slope.

Thanks for any advice.

What size installation? I talked to Electric Ireland last year and they were asking 5500/4100 before/after grant for a 2.1kW system. Mad! My grant has just come through so I ended up paying 6700€ net for 4.8kW and a 2.4kWh battery. So a system that is more than twice as large and with a battery for 50% extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WhoReallyAsks

Opinions please.Quoted for 4.8kw 16 panel system with immersion diverter and without battery.Anyone first hand experience of the different brands? Prices are before grant of 1800.
    Solis inverter with iBoost diverter 6500 inc Vat
    SMA inverter with Eddi diverter 7600 inc Vat

• Advertisement

I was quoted for 4.8kW with Solis and a 3.5kWh battery and Eddi- 11,300 before any grants. Not saying that’s a great price but your quote seems inline. Ask them how much a small battery would cost as it increases the grant by 1200€.
    Also are these inverters hybrid or not. If not, then it is not a good deal.

Opinions please.Quoted for 4.8kw 16 panel system with immersion diverter and without battery.Anyone first hand experience of the different brands? Prices are before grant of 1800.

Brutal deal. People have got similar size systems with a battery (and thus a far more expensive hybrid inverter) for less money.

garo wrote: »
    What size installation? I talked to Electric Ireland last year and they were asking 5500/4100 before/after grant for a 2.1kW system. Mad! My grant has just come through so I ended up paying 6700€ net for 4.8kW and a 2.4kWh battery. So a system that is more than twice as large and with a battery for 50% extra.

As I said, that was the result of an initial online query: location, orientation, occupancy. The 6x panels was from their picture, probably a standard pic.

If you consider it 'mad' at around that price, how do I get something more accurate, like yourself?
    How do you get a figure for the potential installation? It is a small, isolated, two story, stone built, slate roofed detached house, approx 3m x 10m overall, plus a 5m x 4m double glazed glass extension. The usual appliances. Immersion group, not connected to oil fired CH. No electric heating in the extension, underfloor CH.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Call around. There are a number of SEAI registered installers. We are not allowed to post names on the thread but people will PM you theirs.

Thanks, OMs please.

Garo could you pm me the company you got that price from please. Unkel the grants have reduced this year so I think your referring to old grant prices or pm me any company who has priced a battery system that size for less. I've got alot of quotes but with and without battery and them 2 I posted are my lowest quotes. I use 11000 kwh a year average so a small battery system isn't much advantage to me and am also on a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Garo could you pm me the company you got that price from please. Unkel the grants have reduced this year so I think your referring to old grant prices or pm me any company who has priced a battery system that size for less. I've got alot of quotes but with and without battery and them 2 I posted are my lowest quotes. I use 11000 kwh a year average so a small battery system isn't much advantage to me and am also on a budget.

I have been looking at getting an install for a long time now , thinking max I am willing to pay is €6500 after grant so if anyone could pm me there quote for same it would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BrendanD wrote: »
    I have been looking at getting an install for a long time now , thinking max I am willing to pay is €6500 after grant so if anyone could pm me there quote for same it would be much appreciated

My 2 recent quotes were for ~4kWp, no battery, no diverter, slate roof.

€5400 and €6000 after grant

I also looked at direct labour route and to buy the kit as a private buyer and get a roofer and an electrician and no grant would be at least €4500 with obviously no comeback when/if things went wrong as they'd inevitably blame each other.

So, Im thinking €5400 is as good as its going to get right now.

Sounds similar quote to mine so kcross ,I'm looking at the €6500 before or €4700 after grant being the cheapest so far. Was looking at direct labour or diy route too but parts prices are nearly that and no grant that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

I got a 4.3kWp system with a 5.7kWh battery for 6,700 after the (old) grant. An Eddi diverter would be 600 extra.

• Advertisement

I presume a lot of the installers are currently busy finishing up work under the old grant. You may get better prices once the deadline for the old grant installs passes.

Also install prices can vary depending on whether it is a bungalow or two storeys and if it is a tile or slate roof. Having said that dof got a decent price!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Has anyone gone down the electric ireland offer route?
    I did as they offered 36 monthly payments interest free for a 2.1kw system (7×300) and diverter (eddi) for 5400 minus the 1400 grant which ticked the boxes for me as my sun facing roof space was limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

garo wrote: »
    Also install prices can vary depending on whether it is a bungalow or two storeys and if it is a tile or slate roof. Having said that dof got a decent price!

thanks. It was for a 2 storey tiled roof. pm for supplier details if you like.

Has anyone gone down the electric ireland offer route?
    I did as they offered 36 monthly payments interest free for a 2.1kw system (7×300) and diverter (eddi) for 5400 minus the 1400 grant which ticked the boxes for me as my sun facing roof space was limited.

I'm sorry to say but €4k was very expensive and you should not have gone for the immersion diverter, it will never pay for itself with a small 2kwp system. The ballpark with the old subsidy system was about €6k for a 4kwp system including a battery

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How big of a system generation capacity wise can you get away with before you "need" planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How big of a system generation capacity wise can you get away with before you "need" planning?

12m2 is the maximum allowed under current domestic planning regulations.
    And you have to keep back 0.5m from the edge of the roof.

If you can fit that much, that works out to approx 2.4 KWp

(assuming you haven't already used up some of the 12m2 on Solar thermal)

12m2 or no more than 7 panels

But it is very unlikely you will be old to take the panels down if you put up more without planning permission, even if you put them on the front (road facing) roof of your house as per a recent well published court case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So up and running....I have generated 18kWh so far. Not a huge amount

I am wondering, on my set up I have mode's. See below

What would people recommend? mode 3?

Default Mode 1

This mode is for systems with sufficient PV generation and keeps the stored battery energy to evening. The battery is fully charged in the day by the PV and will start to discharge in the evening.

This mode does not use supplemental AC charging overnight.
    Default Mode 2

This mode designed to balance the use of PV during the day and battery to supplement when the PV is insufficient. The aim is to be grid neutral and priorities the home load from any source and uses the grid as a last resort.

This mode does not use supplemental AC charging overnight.
    Smart Charge Mode 3 ( Smart Charge Status: Off )

This mode allows a custom AC charge setting. Particularly useful in winter and if you're on a flexible energy tariff (eg economy 7/10, ToU, Agile etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CiaranIRE

Mode 2 if you have a 24hr meter.

If you have a day/night meter, then mode 2 in the summer months and mode 3 in the winter depending on your usage.

I use mode 3 to take a 25 minute(half kilowatt) charge between 7.30-7.55am to cover showers and breakfast, and usually will have enough left to cover the base load until I'm generating power at 9:30-10am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Who are the best companies to deal with for solar PV for a new build to work with builder and electrician on site?
    Based in Mayo

Advertisement