Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

kilns wrote: »
    Yet Michael Bloomberg who is worth way more than Trump, has bigger and much more complex businesses can say he will reveal his tax returns. You are being naiive if that is the reason Trump doesnt want to reveal his tax returns. i dont think there is anything dodgy in there, it would be probably just emabarrassing to him showing that he is fair from the billionaire he claims to be and his net worth is probably quite low
    Please show me where I said that was the reason why he wasn’t releasing his tax returns. I said he doesn’t need to as it is not a requirement to become POTUS. And why would he release them? We all know the only outcome would be for Democrats, who wallow in bad faith, to pick them apart and use them as a political weapon.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Oh Absolutely agree.

I'm just not 100% on what the legal implications would- Breach of Contract possibly , some version of fraud/misrepresentation etc.

Also not sure if the IRS would necessarily care or be in a position to report if they noted a discrepancy between what was listed on a Tax return vs. what was on a Loan application for example - As long as the one on the tax return was right I don't know if they could do anything about it.
    What... Do don't think lenders do any due diligence?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

notobtuse wrote: »
    And why would he release them?

He promised that he would. Because every President for the past 40 years has done so.

But hey, he's a liar. We should never have expected him to honour his promises like a decent human being.

Don’t you just love all these laws, spawned by hatred from democrats, that are trying to be put on the books targeted directly at Donald Trump? If I could find a cure for Trump Derangement Syndrome I would become a BILLIONARE.

Dytalus wrote: »
    He promised that he would. Because every President for the past 40 years has done so.

But hey, he's a liar. We should never have expected him to honour his promises like a decent human being.
    Please show me one president, ANY PRESIDENT, who has kept all of their campaign promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Please show me where I said that was the reason why he wasn’t releasing his tax returns. I said he doesn’t need to as it is not a requirement to become POTUS. And why would he release them? We all know the only outcome would be for Democrats, who wallow in bad faith, to pick them apart and use them as a political weapon.

You are defending his claims that he is under audit and in turn cannot release his returns. Why in your opinion is he fighting so hard not to release them?

And rightly so they will use them as a weapon if they disprove alot of things that he said i.e. that he is a succesful businessman

Plus as others have said he is scared of the insurance companies seeing them too and would be an awful look politically for insurance companies to be going after a sitting president for fraud

Don’t you just love all these laws, spawned by hatred from democrats, that are trying to be put on the books targeted directly at Donald Trump? If I could find a cure for Trump Derangement Syndrome I would become a BILLIONARE.

Trump Derangement Syndrome :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Please show me one president, ANY PRESIDENT, who has kept all of their campaign promises.

Leaving aside that Trump has broken, or intends to break (in the case of Social Security and Medicare), or has made no move to deliver on, the majority of his promises.....

It's one thing for a President not to uphold policy promises. Any number of things could get in the way: House/Senate don't approve (considering the GOP controlled both the Senate and the House for the first two years of his presidency, this isn't an excuse Trump can use), it turns out to be more expensive than realised, diplomatic/political/economic situation changes and the original plan becomes untenable, etc...

Releasing your tax returns? That's a unilateral decision. No other politician, organisation, law, economic problem, or [insert-problem-here] can stop you if you want it to happen. Every President for 40 years has made it happen. Trump doesn't want it to happen.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Leaving aside that Trump has broken, or intends to break (in the case of Social Security and Medicare), or has made no move to deliver on, the majority of his promises.....

It's one thing for a President not to uphold policy promises. Any number of things could get in the way: House/Senate don't approve (considering the GOP controlled both the Senate and the House for the first two years of his presidency, this isn't an excuse Trump can use), it turns out to be more expensive than realised, diplomatic/political/economic situation changes and the original plan becomes untenable, etc...

Releasing your tax returns? That's a unilateral decision. No other politician, organisation, law, economic problem, or [insert-problem-here] can stop you if you want it to happen. Every President for 40 years has made it happen. Trump doesn't want it to happen.
    First, no president in US history has had to endure the outright demented hatred as Trump has from the opposing political party and media.

Second, Trump actually is one of the very few presidents who has either kept, or fought hard to keep, the majority of his campaign promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Theres a very good reason why Presidents release tax returns and remove themselves totally from their business dealings.

If you are in financial trouble you can be blackmailed or can be unduly influenced by financial institutions/debtors.

If you are still involved in your business you can influency policy that can help it or even worse, direct government resources directly to it.

Ring any bells??

• Advertisement

Theres a very good reason why Presidents release tax returns and remove themselves totally from their business dealings.

If you are in financial trouble you can be blackmailed or can be unduly influenced by financial institutions/debtors.

If you are still involved in your business you can influency policy that can help it or even worse, direct government resources directly to it.

Ring any bells??
    You don't think presidents own stock? Any decision they make in office can affect the price of the stocks they hold.

First, no president in US history has had to endure the outright demented hatred as Trump has from the opposing political party and media.

Second, Trump actually is one of the very few presidents who has either kept, or fought hard to keep, the majority of his campaign promises.

Yeah you are right Fox News were very fair and impartial when it came to Obama. :rolleyes:

You don't think presidents own stock? Any decision they make in office can affect the price of the stocks they hold.

So you just confirmed the previous posters point, publish your tax returns so that you are transparent when making decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Ring any bells??

As the story goes trump's golf course monies have come from Russia via a bank, when he got the presidency the bank then got rid of the loan off to Russia.

So you just confirmed the previous posters point, publish your tax returns so that you are transparent when making decisions
    Huh?

If publishing one's tax return is so damn important then amend the US Constitution to make it a requirement to become POTUS. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! We all know it won't happen because the demand is only targeted at Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

If it was in the constitution he wouldnt have run.

Huh?

If publishing one's tax return is so damn important then amend the US Constitution to make it a requirement to become POTUS. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! We all know it won't happen because the demand is only targeted at Trump.

So you are admitting he is not transparent and is hiding something unlike Presidents from the last 40 years

So you are admitting he is not transparent and is hiding something unlike Presidents from the last 40 years
    No, I'm saying for someone who isn't trained at being a politician he sometimes can be a very good politician.

No, I'm saying for someone who isn't trained at being a politician he sometimes can be a very good politician.

please revert when you start to make some sense

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And the "Defence of Trump" journey is almost complete.

First we got - He didn't do it

Then we got - What he said didn't mean what you all think it meant

Then we moved on to - He did it , but it's not a crime and he's allowed to because he's POTUS

And now , we have moved to the final stage.

He did it , exactly like you all said he did for exactly the reasons you all said , but it doesn't matter and we don't care.
    “A growing number of GOP senators are now acknowledging that President Donald Trump may have leveraged US military aid to Ukraine in exchange for an announcement of investigations that could help him politically – but they contend that even that conduct does not warrant removal from office or hearing from additional witnesses.”

It’d be an overstatement to suggest every congressional Republican has embraced this new posture, but the list of prominent GOP officials touting the new talking point isn’t short. It includes Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.), who argued, “[E]ven if the president said [to John Bolton that he was withholding military aid in exchange for investigations], it does not raise to the level of removal from office.”

The party’s indifference seemed liberating. If Trump’s culpability is no longer relevant to his GOP acolytes, then the answer to every question could be effectively the same: “It doesn’t matter.”

Even if every allegation is true, even if the president did exactly what he’s accused of doing, even if he abused the powers of his office in the precise way Democrats claim, much of the Republican Party has convinced itself, quite suddenly, that the presidential misdeeds simply don’t meet the arbitrary threshold for importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Then we moved on to - He did it , but it's not a crime and he's allowed to because he's POTUS

He did it , exactly like you all said he did for exactly the reasons you all said , but it doesn't matter and we don't care.

I refer you to my earlier post on this subject

I think we can sum up Trumps "defence" quite simply:

Trump didn't do the thing he's accused of doing, but if he did it was fine, and in fact that's exactly what he did, get over it, because it's not only fine, it's precisely what we want from a president, and can you believe that Biden did the same thing, shame on him.

If, and that’s a big ‘if’ it's true, it proves a comment I heard when I attended a lecture by Ron Evling (writer, Senior Editor and Correspondent for NPR’s Washington Desk, former political editor for USA Today and for Congressional Quarterly, and Executive in Residence in the School of Public Affairs at American University) with my youngest daughter when he described Mitch Mcconnell as the most powerful majority leader in the history of the US Senate, and presented his reasons for saying such.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So future presidents can now blackmail foreign countries into fabricating "dirt" into a private citizen or political rival and that's that. Using the office to cheat is elections in the new norm.

Go Trump!

Boggles wrote: »
    So future presidents can now blackmail foreign countries into fabricating "dirt" into a private citizen or political rival and that's that. Using the office to cheat is elections in the new norm.

Go Trump!
    Not just future presidents... President Barack Obama and President-In-Exile Hillary Clinton did it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not just future presidents... President Barack Obama and President-In-Exile Hillary Clinton did it. :rolleyes:

can you give examples when either of those two did it for personal gain?

The senate is infested with spineless people with zero morals. Look at Ted Cruz, Trump publically humilated him and his family and yet he acts like he would sacrifice one of his children for him. As to the money that controls these people and decisions they make, if I was an American citizen it would make me sick. It is far from the greatest democracy in the world it would be more closer to the most corrupt country in the world spectrum

Oh Id love to hear your evidence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If, and that’s a big ‘if’ it's true, it proves a comment I heard when I attended a lecture by Ron Evling (writer, Senior Editor and Correspondent for NPR’s Washington Desk, former political editor for USA Today and for Congressional Quarterly, and Executive in Residence in the School of Public Affairs at American University) with my youngest daughter when he described Mitch Mcconnell as the most powerful majority leader in the history of the US Senate, and presented his reasons for saying such.

With the amount of loose bollixx you talk, I'm surprised you paid attention in that lecture

So you agree that is what Trump did, that's a good first step I suppose.

Well given Clinton was never president, we'll park that.

When exactly did Obama blackmail a foreign country to investigate a political rival in order to gain an advantage in an election?

I couldn't even tell you who his personal lawyer was TBH.

• Advertisement

The senate is infested with spineless people with zero morals. Look at Ted Cruz, Trump publically humilated him and his family and yet he acts like he would sacrifice one of his children for him. As to the money that controls these people and decisions they make, if I was an American citizen it would make me sick. It is far from the greatest democracy in the world it would be more closer to the most corrupt country in the world spectrum

Cruz really is a special sort of weasel.

Advertisement