Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

moritz1234 wrote: »
    God the whole team were awful against Japan - you can't hang that on PoM.
    Probably the only one who turned up and put in a shift against the ABs

Im not hanging that on POM....Im just responding to your post saying how good he was at WC.....he wasn't. No player put in a "shift" against NZ.....it was an entire team failure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Your memory is wrong - he turned up against the ABs the rest of the pack didn't. Watch it again.

he was at best - bang average - not good eneogh right now to play for Ireland - hasnt been for over a year -

• Registered Users Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What a stupid comment - no one said that.
    PoM has certain attributes
    Excellent at turnovers
    Excllent at lineout steals
    A great captain and leader

He was Ireland's best player in the two WC games against Scotland and the ABs
    POM was subbed off after 27 minutes for a HIA against Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Have you forgotten his 20 minute man of the match performance against Scotland already?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hummmm

subbed off after 57 minutes..... with his replacement carrying more and made more meters in the 23 minutes he was on.

Everyone was blown away on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Clegg wrote: »
    POM was subbed off after 27 minutes for a HIA against Scotland.

Watch the game again - he was world class up until the HIA

Lot of people with memory loss on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That group was not difficult. Osprey was an automatic 10 points. Racing will be out at the Qtr's. Sarries played the B team for majority of tournament and still qualified. That included the Sarries B team playing nearly an entire match with 14 players away from home and winning.

Ospreys was an automatic 10 Points for everyone not just Munster. It was the hardest pool in the competition

Ospreys was an automatic 10 Points for everyone not just Munster. It was the hardest pool in the competition

Sarries didn't get 10 out of them and still qualified......

This is Ireland thread anyway!! its done and dusted now

I would have PoM as Captain

I really hope Sexton doesn't start berating players on the pitch again instead of encouraging them (which is his style i.e. to have a go at a player and moan at them).

It was the hardest pool for Munster because they are bang average.

Racing strolled it and qualified with a game in hand.
    Saracens literally threw 2 games and still qualified.

• Advertisement

Im not saying POM is a bad player or anything. I said at start of WC it might have been an option to start him at 7 but playing him at 6 and Stander at 8 was just not working......

But since the WC, VDF really in my opinion nailed the 7 jersey with his displays

Playing Stander at 8 hasn't worked for a while now so swapping him to 6 and playing Deegan or Doris at 8 just makes sense, again my personal opinion. Not sure what POM can bring from the bench, Wood's point about having a captain on the bench would be the only reason I would see.....I would prefer to have a more dynamic player to come on. POM is not going to come on with 20 mins and make a couple of breaks against a tired defence

Watch the game again - he was world class up until the HIA

Lot of people with memory loss on here.

I fail to see how someone who was on the pitch for 27 minutes could be motm.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    this is what you should be actually taking from that article:

I don’t need to take anything else from that article except that Doris has impressive lineout number for Leinster albeit against lesser opposition, hopefully he brings that to the green jersey because there is no doubting our Lino it could be weakened badly without POM.

I don’t have an issue with POM being dropped, I can see his skills but also his weaknesses. He brings a toughness and never say die attitude that doesn’t take a backward step, He can jackal very well and we may lose some of that but gain a better carrier. CJ also has weaknesses to his game, as does any other player in the pack.

A back row is about balance, maybe CJ at 6 and Doris at 8 is more balanced. Time will tell.

Im not saying POM is a bad player or anything. I said at start of WC it might have been an option to start him at 7 but playing him at 6 and Stander at 8 was just not working......

But since the WC, VDF really in my opinion nailed the 7 jersey with his displays

Playing Stander at 8 hasn't worked for a while now so swapping him to 6 and playing Deegan or Doris at 8 just makes sense, again my personal opinion. Not sure what POM can bring from the bench, Wood's point about having a captain on the bench would be the only reason I would see.....I would prefer to have a more dynamic player to come on. POM is not going to come on with 20 mins and make a couple of breaks against a tired defence

Nothing against VDF
    I haven't seen him play this year as I don't watch Leinster.
    He is a good player

daddy pig wrote: »
    It was the hardest pool for Munster because they are bang average.

Racing strolled it and qualified with a game in hand.
    Saracens literally threw 2 games and still qualified.

You can add whatever caveat you want to it in a childish attempt to rise a provincial back and forth, but it was the hardest pool in the competition.

And if racing “strolled it” they wouldn’t be in an away QF

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we're back to pages of POM again.

molloyjh wrote: »

well to be fair, if hes dropped from the 23 it will be the biggest call in a long time and obviously will be a point of discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I would have PoM as Captain

I really hope Sexton doesn't start berating players on the pitch again instead of encouraging them (which is his style i.e. to have a go at a player and moan at them).
    If the decision is to go with youth at 8 (one of the Leinster lads) and experience at 6 (CJ or POM), do you pick O'Mahony at 6 and Stander on the bench?

If the decision is to go with youth at 8 (one of the Leinster lads) and experience at 6 (CJ or POM), do you pick O'Mahony at 6 and Stander on the bench?

That should have been the move - Stander has more impact and covers 6 and 8

The back row is critical to the way Ireland play. When we have a good balanced back row we seem to be a lot more competitive. That's why I find it is often a hot topic for debate.

• Advertisement

you cannot have a 6 whos carrying and tackling stats are as poor as POMs

For me its no question that Stander gets picked ahead of POM

sydthebeat wrote: »
    well to be fair, if hes dropped from the 23 it will be the biggest call in a long time and obviously will be a point of discussion

Yeah but its been done to death, resurrected, done to death again, flogged for good measure and the dissected, put back together and is being done again. And if hes dropped that'll surely breath yet new life into it all over again.

POMs form has been poor. Not as bad as has been made out, but if hes dropped I doubt many could really argue effectively against it. Stander is a better 6 and Deegan offers more coverage and impact off the bench. If hes selected then it depends on where and with who, but could equally make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Do we still have that extra lineout threat ?
    In PoM 7 games for Munster this season
    14 Lineout wins
    8 Lineout steals

This is the post that started the conversation. It wasn't saying PoM should be in the team. It was asking if we still have the lineout threat. Its a valid question when we talk about bringing balance to the back row.

You can add whatever caveat you want to it in a childish attempt to rise a provincial back and forth, but it was the hardest pool in the competition.

And if racing “strolled it” they wouldn’t be in an away QF

It's not a provincial back and forth - we have talked about Munster and Munster only. I have failed to see any mention of Connacht, Leinster or Ulster.

Do not make it out that the Munster group was the hardest group in the competition when it wasn't. Munster were never in the running to make it out of the group - Racing qualified comfortably and Saracens made it out with a B team after throwing 2 games.

The criteria was not which pool was the hardest to win - that privilege belonged to Pool 3 where two teams won 5 games so Racing having an away QF doesn't change the fact they strolled into the quarter finals without any threat of elimination.

Yeah but its been done to death, resurrected, done to death again, flogged for good measure and the dissected, put back together and is being done again. And if hes dropped that'll surely breath yet new life into it all over again.

POMs form has been poor. Not as bad as has been made out, but if hes dropped I doubt many could really argue effectively against it. Stander is a better 6 and Deegan offers more coverage and impact off the bench. If hes selected then it depends on where and with who, but could equally make sense.

agreed, but to date the argument has been hypothetical.

when its "real" it becomes a different kettle of fish... and i dare say this thread will attract new contributors who will want to input their tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Nothing against VDF
    I haven't seen him play this year as I don't watch Leinster.
    He is a good player

I think you just forfeited your right to demand anyone's inclusion in the squad over anyone else.

The back row is critical to the way Ireland play. When we have a good balanced back row we seem to be a lot more competitive. That's why I find it is often a hot topic for debate.

I agree, and I've been calling it the biggest area that needed looking at myself. It didnt work last year and we missed a dynamic ball carrier like Conan, Leavy or Heaslip. If we need to make a change then someone needs to lose out. Simple as.

I agree, and I've been calling it the biggest area that needed looking at myself. It didnt work last year and we missed a dynamic ball carrier like Conan, Leavy or Heaslip. If we need to make a change then someone needs to lose out. Simple as.

In Heaslip's latter years I don't think his carrying was as dynamic or strong as it was earlier in his career. But he was still very effective at getting over the gainline with good footwork. What we really miss is his all round game. He could link, slow down ball at the ruck and get over the gainline. Stander can do that too, but Heaslip was just better at it.

We definitely missed Leavy least year. I rate VDF just as highly, but his carrying in the tight just isn't as strong as Leavy's. When we were struggling to make yards up the middle against stronger opposition that's when his loss was really felt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »
    In Heaslip's latter years I don't think his carrying was as dynamic or strong as it was earlier in his career. But he was still very effective at getting over the gainline with good footwork. What we really miss is his all round game. He could link, slow down ball at the ruck and get over the gainline. Stander can do that too, but Heaslip was just better at it.

We definitely missed Leavy least year. I rate VDF just as highly, but his carrying in the tight just isn't as strong as Leavy's. When we were struggling to make yards up the middle against stronger opposition that's when his loss was really felt.

I think the last part is spot on tbh.

A stronger case for POM could be made if Leavy was at 7. With VDF at 7, I don't think we can continue with 6. POM and 8. Stander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Healy, Herring, Furlong
    Ryan, Henderson.
    Stander, Doris, VdF
    Murray Sexton
    Aki, Ringrose
    Stockdale, Larmour and Conway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement