Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I made an app to find running events in Ireland

Options
  • 26-01-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Not sure if this sort of thing is even allowed but hopefully the admins will be sound enough to leave it up.

I created an app called "Ruco" which helps people find running race events in Ireland. It's only available on Android for now and can be downloaded from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ruco.running.events

There are a few websites out there to find running events but as a runner myself I found them quite difficult to use. So about a year ago I decided to start developing my own app.

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Brilliant!

Really love the layout. Am in the market for a half in and around the end of May.

Was going to suggest adding a month filter but tbh, I got the info I needed really quickly by scrolling.

I'll have a bit more of a play around with it and see if there's anything I notice for feedback.

Fair play to you, it's something that's really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah looks like a very decent app. Only thing I noticed was quite a few events missing but presumably that's a work in progress. Initial impressions are really good. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great layout and easy to use, very impressed. All the best of luck with it. An app that avoids having to jump from event organisers website to another is a huge help. As has been said hopefully the available races field will be fully populated. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭SocialSpud

Thanks guys. Yes adding events is still a work in progress as I am manually adding them myself. I usually look up the likes of RunIreland and MyRunResults and I think I have most of those ones up. Are there any in particular that are missing?

@Lazare On the month filter - I actually have this down on the todo list as a date range filter. Some have said this would be handy to decide which race to fit into their training schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have you checked the calendar on popupraces? There are some good regional sites too. There's one for the Cork/Munster area whose name slips my mind that is very good. I'm sure someone can throw the name of it up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lindienaughton is one of the best references you'll find (outside of this app of course) for races, also munsterrunningblogspot

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Have you checked the calendar on popupraces? There are some good regional sites too. There's one for the Cork/Munster area whose name slips my mind that is very good. I'm sure someone can throw the name of it up here.

Thanks, I found PopUpRaces was missing quite a few races in the past but maybe things have improved there so will have another look. Just spotted the Streets of Portlaoise 5k up there which isn't anywhere else and have add it to Ruco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

You likely know about this thread but if not you might get something from it, 2019 road races..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920155

Lazare wrote: »
    You likely know about this thread but if not you might get something from it, 2019 road races..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920155

Cheers, I did see this but couldn't find a 2020 list. I might post on that thread as well as they should find the app useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

SocialSpud wrote: »
    Thanks, I found PopUpRaces was missing quite a few races in the past but maybe things have improved there so will have another look. Just spotted the Streets of Portlaoise 5k up there which isn't anywhere else and have add it to Ruco.

Pop up races only list races they organise just like MyRunResults so neither list will be complete without the other. These are event organisation companies rather than actual comprehensive race calendar lists.

• Advertisement

KSU wrote: »
    Pop up races only list races they organise just like MyRunResults so neither list will be complete without the other. These are event organisation companies rather than actual comprehensive race calendar lists.

Yes that's a good point. I suppose my job is to bring all of these sources together into one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nice app, easy to use. Very fresh look off it.

Not sure how u get a complete list though, there is some small 5ks in wexford today but only for parkrun I wouldn't of known.

Maybe a way for people to add races and rate them.

Nice app, easy to use. Very fresh look off it.

Not sure how u get a complete list though, there is some small 5ks in wexford today but only for parkrun I wouldn't of known.

Maybe a way for people to add races and rate them.

Thanks a lot! I did put a good but of effort into the UX. Yea for local races like that I'm relying on Facebook, word of mouth etc. I suppose the likes of RunIreland would have the same issue except you can add races there so I keep an eye on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Running in Connaught on facebook was a great resource to find races. They simply shared events' pages on their feed. Unfortunately it seems to have stopped running since xmas.

Badly need a single service advertising all races from community 5ks to the top level. Athletics Ireland seem to offer nothing in this area. Their events calendar doesn't publish many races.

I will give your app a go. Would it be possible for organisers to add their own race and someone could review it then to see it was legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good UK based site here: https://findarace.com/ if you are looking for inspiration.
    Ideally you need to develop some type of plugin that links into the main race timing provider sites.

Running in Connaught on facebook was a great resource to find races. They simply shared events' pages on their feed. Unfortunately it seems to have stopped running since xmas.

Badly need a single service advertising all races from community 5ks to the top level. Athletics Ireland seem to offer nothing in this area. Their events calendar doesn't publish many races.

I will give your app a go. Would it be possible for organisers to add their own race and someone could review it then to see it was legitimate.

Thanks. Yep that could be a plan for the future for sure. It would certainly make my job a bit easier as I'm curret adding each individual race myself.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good UK based site here: https://findarace.com/ if you are looking for inspiration.
    Ideally you need to develop some type of plugin that links into the main race timing provider sites.

Yea I'm familiar with that website and it's very well laid out. They have a way of booking through their site as well to make some profit from commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Fair play, looks well. Is there an iOS version?

webpal wrote: »
    Fair play, looks well. Is there an iOS version?

Cheers. Just an Android version for now as it's costs a good bit more to bring an iOS version out. Hopefully the Android version will become popular enough that I can justify the expensive. Sharing the app link with your friends will help a lot with that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Thumbs up from me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes that's a good point. I suppose my job is to bring all of these sources together into one :-)

I suppose the trick is to get race organisers to contact YOU with their info, as it is in their interest to have their events listed as many places as possible, especially if you become the 'go-to' app for this information. I'm sure if you contact clubs and other event organisers they'll put you on the mailing list for this kind of info, well in advance.

Look forward to the IOS version, best of luck with it.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I suppose the trick is to get race organisers to contact YOU with their info, as it is in their interest to have their events listed as many places as possible, especially if you become the 'go-to' app for this information. I'm sure if you contact clubs and other event organisers they'll put you on the mailing list for this kind of info, well in advance.

Look forward to the IOS version, best of luck with it.

Yea that's the ideal scenario I'd like to get to. I have reached out to a few race organisers but not too many have replied. On the iOS version, right now I'm trying to get as many users to suss out if it's even worth bringing the iOS version out as it costs a good bit more. As I mentioned before, you guys can help a lot there by sharing the app link and spreading the word to your Running friends and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Great idea for a app, best of luck with it.

Tippereary Athletics web site has all the races in Tipp on there web site including County championship race.
    The local club races will be updated after the next County board meeting when race permits will be signed off.

tipperaryathletics.com/fixtures/fixtures.htm

West Waterford AC, have all the races listed on there site

westwaterfordathletics.org/events/

Ceepo wrote: »
    Great idea for a app, best of luck with it.

Tippereary Athletics web site has all the races in Tipp on there web site including County championship race.
    The local club races will be updated after the next County board meeting when race permits will be signed off.

tipperaryathletics.com/fixtures/fixtures.htm

West Waterford AC, have all the races listed on there site

westwaterfordathletics.org/events/

Excellent thanks I'll add that to my list of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

IMRA 2020 calendar is here, lots of runs!!

https://www.imra.ie/events/

Good luck with the app ;)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    IMRA 2020 calendar is here, lots of runs!!

https://www.imra.ie/events/

Good luck with the app ;)

Yep I had a good few in there from 2019 so now need to update with 2020. The new IMRA website is really nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Great App and idea.

My thoughts: I think it’s going to be impossible for you to add every single race. You could send an email to every athletic club in Ireland and most would probably give you the info on the races they organised. The problem is the country has so many small 5k, 8k and 10k runs organised by schools, local GAA clubs, community groups, etc. These aren’t going to know about your app or give you the info. This is where the likes of eg RunConnaught Facebook page is good (or was until a month ago). They share every small race going in the local area. You’ll need to follow about 40 similar Facebook pages and another 20 websites to keep this full. It's going to be a lot of work and these small races might only give 2-3 weeks notice so you'll need to be active a lot.

I think you need to allow other people to submit races. People like us who post on Boards.ie for example. They don’t have to go live as you can then review and approve them. You could develop verified posters that after I post 10 races which were all perfect good quality posts then future ones instantly go live without review. Another thing is you’ll have to be able to allow people to report changes to races. eg postponed due to the death of a local organiser which could send you a notification if you’ve liked or pinned the race. That could be a game changer feature.

Dudda wrote: »
    Great App and idea.

My thoughts: I think it’s going to be impossible for you to add every single race. You could send an email to every athletic club in Ireland and most would probably give you the info on the races they organised. The problem is the country has so many small 5k, 8k and 10k runs organised by schools, local GAA clubs, community groups, etc. These aren’t going to know about your app or give you the info. This is where the likes of eg RunConnaught Facebook page is good (or was until a month ago). They share every small race going in the local area. You’ll need to follow about 40 similar Facebook pages and another 20 websites to keep this full. It's going to be a lot of work and these small races might only give 2-3 weeks notice so you'll need to be active a lot.

I think you need to allow other people to submit races. People like us who post on Boards.ie for example. They don’t have to go live as you can then review and approve them. You could develop verified posters that after I post 10 races which were all perfect good quality posts then future ones instantly go live without review. Another thing is you’ll have to be able to allow people to report changes to races. eg postponed due to the death of a local organiser which could send you a notification if you’ve liked or pinned the race. That could be a game changer feature.

Thanks for that. I suppose the main reason I didn't consider this early on is that I assumed regular people wouldn't be bothered to use their own time to submit races. Race organisers may do it to promote their own races but I can't see too many regular folk keeping it up after they realise that there's a good bit of info you need to find like location, previous results etc. as this info isn't often included in the original event. On the "report event" idea, I have that one on the list alright so just need to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yellowboglady

Just downloaded it, looks good and I agree with others that it would be good to allow people add events. Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Not sure if this sort of thing is even allowed but hopefully the admins will be sound enough to leave it up.

I created an app called "Ruco" which helps people find running race events in Ireland. It's only available on Android for now and can be downloaded from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ruco.running.events

There are a few websites out there to find running events but as a runner myself I found them quite difficult to use. So about a year ago I decided to start developing my own app.

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions. Cheers!

Any plans for an iOS app?

Advertisement