Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creche fees. How much are you paying?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Ok thanks I just have misread the hours, I thought it was 8.45-3.45 so good to know they open earlier. Are they not closed for school holidays then? Maybe I misread one section of the school and took it as the whole place.. we pay 220 per week but only 38 weeks per year so it does even out for us compared to most alternatives

They are open every weekday except bank holidays. They give the option to not pay over Christmas but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

They are open every weekday except bank holidays. They give the option to not pay over Christmas but that's it.

Ok thanks, I must have been reading about ecce places or something. Great value compared to anything else I've seen anyway, good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

1063 per month (on scheme) when the little one starts after the initial 2 weeks in mid February. Fulltime (7am-6pm), 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

how can people afford these fees if they have to pay a mortgage on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

thebourke wrote: »

Have yet to pay for a mortgage on top of that. But currently looking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

Both parents have to be working in well paid jobs. Or one parent in a very well paid employment. It's desperate stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

These are some crazy fees. Idk how people can even afford to put food on their table after paying such fees and rent/mortgage on top of it. Never mind owning a car or two. I would never go back to work if I would have to pay someone that kind of money to mind my child. Sometimes I actually wonder if you are better of living in Dublin on what might initially seem like a high income or would you be as well off living somewhere rural on your average income.

Our creche (rural town) is 150e per week for full time care.ECCE or no ECCE it's 30e a day. That's not including the new universal subsidy or any other subsidies one might be entitled to.

A lot of people are down to only paying anywhere from a 100-300e a month if they have a child in ECCE with the new income based subsidies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

1500 for one 15 month old and one in after school in our crèche. Hoping to move the older boy to a different service to reduce the cost. My wage covers the mortgage and this currently

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

1031 a month for one 2.5 year old full time. Her fees will reduce when ECCE kicks in but then we've another in the way. Will be one very tough year when they are both in but after that, one will be in school. Had to space it out that way in order for us to afford. Luckily it worked out for us cause I'm over 40 now! Shouldn't have to be that way.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Around £1,800 a month before any subsidies. 3 year old and 18 month old in full time nursery in Manchester, just outside the city centre.

We use Tax-free Childcare and the age 3 paid term time 30 hours funded care to bring the cost out of pocket down to around 1250/month.

I'm now a single parent, anything I get from ExH goes on paying nursery fees. Thankfully my older son is starting school in September and my costs for breakfast club and after-school for him go down to around £12 a day. Next few months are going to be tough. Younger boy is 2 in 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

victor8600 wrote: »
    Both parents have to be working in well paid jobs. Or one parent in a very well paid employment. It's desperate stuff.

My wife isn't working. I don't consider myself a high income peron either. But we are getting through it. Car to deal with in the coming months is going to put a serious strain on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We won’t be having a third. A large reason is because the childcare costs would essentially put me out of work

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

my creche fees at 1108(with corporate discount and gov subs) will just be a tad under my current mortgage at 1150

so expensive :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My minding fees are more than my mortgage monthly (3 kids, four days a week).And worse, creches and minding staff are so badly paid....
    The whole system is falling apart at the seams at this stage, and nobody really wants to know.Or at least to solve it.It's shocking.And sure yeah, people will say sure you don't have to have kids, you don't have to work....that's a pointless argument.These kids will be funding all our pensions in the future and why bother educating women if we expect them to stop work?None of us expect a free system, but honestly, there are so many changes that could be made to ease the burden.Unfortunately most of us are too busy trying to keep the whole show on the road to put the energy needed into lobbying for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

shesty wrote: »
    My minding fees are more than my mortgage monthly (3 kids, four days a week).And worse, creches and minding staff are so badly paid....
    The whole system is falling apart at the seams at this stage, and nobody really wants to know.Or at least to solve it.It's shocking.And sure yeah, people will say sure you don't have to have kids, you don't have to work....that's a pointless argument.These kids will be funding all our pensions in the future and why bother educating women if we expect them to stop work?None of us expect a free system, but honestly, there are so many changes that could be made to ease the burden.Unfortunately most of us are too busy trying to keep the whole show on the road to put the energy needed into lobbying for change.

Be sure and talk to politicians now, ask them on the doorstep and email them.
    There is a protest by some service providers a few days before the election, it needs to be made a big thing for this election. Once Zappone has moved on the next government should start to fix things but only if enough people shout loud enough.

salmocab wrote:
    Be sure and talk to politicians now, ask them on the doorstep and email them. There is a protest by some service providers a few days before the election, it needs to be made a big thing for this election. Once Zappone has moved on the next government should start to fix things but only if enough people shout loud enough.

Agreed, we need to should loudly about this. Early years staff are so grossly underpaid and don't get half the respect they deserve from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Some shocking prices here, my son is in 4 half days and a full day every week and it's less than 200 a month, north wexford, government subsidy included

Agreed, we need to should loudly about this. Early years staff are so grossly underpaid and don't get half the respect they deserve from government.

It’s a tough job, I wouldn’t for a minute encourage my child to get into it. They do a really tough job most have a real love of the children and most wont be able to continue it once they start having their own families. I think Henry Ford had the genius idea of building cars his staff could afford that’s certainly something that should be strived for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

11€ per hour for a 1 and 3 year old in Wicklow. Adds up fairly quick every week. Only in from 9-4 3 days a week at the moment.

rapul wrote:
    Some shocking prices here, my son is in 4 half days and a full day every week and it's less than 200 a month, north wexford, government subsidy included

Wow that's incredibly cheap!!!!! So less than 50 per week, what kind of a facility is this??? Is there some ECCE hours of something???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

My wife isn't working. I don't consider myself a high income peron either. But we are getting through it. Car to deal with in the coming months is going to put a serious strain on us.

Best wishes! Of course, everyone is different. It seems from the thread that cheche fees are particularly high in Dublin. Also if you don't have to pay much for the accommodation, it also helps. My two kids have a 4 year difference in age, so it is easier as we never had to pay creche fees for both as the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

victor8600 wrote: »
    Best wishes! Of course, everyone is different. It seems from the thread that cheche fees are particularly high in Dublin. Also if you don't have to pay much for the accommodation, it also helps. My two kids have a 4 year difference in age, so it is easier as we never had to pay creche fees for both as the same time.

Just for some clarification and reasoning as to why Dublin prices are so high: Rents for commercial premises in Dublin. Creches need a good bit of space and it,s not uncommon for rents to be close to be close to €100k a year and even more depending on location. On top of rents the councils also want their cut in rates which can be up to about 25% of the rental costs. Also any centres located in the likes of a business park or development with management companies also have those fees on top of rent & rates. Staff costs, even at the low wages they are paid are a very high percentage of costs. Staff are paying Dublin prices for rents/housing & living in Dublin so have to be compensated appropriately.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If the childcare workers strike affects enough working parents having to take a day off to mind their child, then employers wont be happy. And if the employers as well as the parents back the childcare workers, maybe something might be done.

But then again, this is Ireland. It would probably need every work place to grind to a halt before anyone bothers.

Neyite wrote: »
    If the childcare workers strike affects enough working parents having to take a day off to mind their child, then employers wont be happy. And if the employers as well as the parents back the childcare workers, maybe something might be done.

But then again, this is Ireland. It would probably need every work place to grind to a halt before anyone bothers.

If nothing else the protest is well timed, I wonder did it have anything to do with the election being on a Saturday as parents that had to organize two separate sets of alternative child minding the same week might have been a PR disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

€1626 per month for two, full time, after any applicable subsidies. This will reduce in September when oldest one will be eligible for ECCE, serious money to be paying but we cant afford not to work full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traveller2

Have two kids in a crèche and got a land in recent weeks with news that fees to rise by approximately 25%, in effect.
    We had two kids in four days per week, plus one availing of ECCE on the fifth day, the eldest.
    Now, the crèche is saying they will only take the under-1 five and not four days a week as is, and fees for him to rise by 200 euro a month, plus the extra day.
    Also, the eldest has to go in either five full or five half days, but not four full days as is. So in effect five full days.
    A back of the envelope calculation means its going to rocket to 2,000 a month, from 1,500.
    One of us will likely have to take parental leave or unpaid leave for 6 months or so to get us over the hump if we can’t stump up.
    We are Dublin based, and crèche fees likely not much lower elsewhere, and availability not great.
    What are people doing in our shoes? Au Pair an option? How much would that cost by comparison?
    In terms of a chid minder who’d mind two of them in our home etc, how much would that cost? One is due to start school in September, so the crèche thing was coming to an end for the eldest at least.
    Just struggling for ideas on this, and presently trying to crunch financial numbers.
    Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

traveller2 wrote: »
    Have two kids in a crèche and got a land in recent weeks with news that fees to rise by approximately 25%, in effect.
    We had two kids in four days per week, plus one availing of ECCE on the fifth day, the eldest.
    Now, the crèche is saying they will only take the under-1 five and not four days a week as is, and fees for him to rise by 200 euro a month, plus the extra day.
    Also, the eldest has to go in either five full or five half days, but not four full days as is. So in effect five full days.
    A back of the envelope calculation means its going to rocket to 2,000 a month, from 1,500.
    One of us will likely have to take parental leave or unpaid leave for 6 months or so to get us over the hump if we can’t stump up.
    We are Dublin based, and crèche fees likely not much lower elsewhere, and availability not great.
    What are people doing in our shoes? Au Pair an option? How much would that cost by comparison?
    In terms of a chid minder who’d mind two of them in our home etc, how much would that cost? One is due to start school in September, so the crèche thing was coming to an end for the eldest at least.
    Just struggling for ideas on this, and presently trying to crunch financial numbers.
    Thanks a mill!

Anyone minding them in your home would need to be paid minimum wage at a minimum and you would have to pay employers prsi as you would be their employer. Although from speaking to friends who have looked into this lately, anyone they spoke to were looking to closer to €12-€15 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's felt like a long time coming but now that she's 3, the free childcare has kicked in (UK). 30 hours. We were paying for 20 hours @ £4.75ph which was a steal in itself. We're now ditching her for an extra day. If feels like a payrise!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Anyone minding them in your home would need to be paid minimum wage at a minimum and you would have to pay employers prsi as you would be their employer. Although from speaking to friends who have looked into this lately, anyone they spoke to were looking to closer to €12-€15 an hour.

Don’t be fooled. I don’t know a single childminder that would pay their taxes. 15e an hour ?? It’s a pure joke to be paying someone this kind of money for minding your child. They usually have jobseekers or other social welfare payment on top of whatever you are paying them. Where I live, the going rate for a childminder is 4-7e an hour and the crèche is 4-5e an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

angela1711 wrote: »
    Don’t be fooled. I don’t know a single childminder that would pay their taxes. 15e an hour ?? It’s a pure joke to be paying someone this kind of money for minding your child. They usually have jobseekers or other social welfare payment on top of whatever you are paying them. Where I live, the going rate for a childminder is 4-7e an hour and the crèche is 4-5e an hour.

A childminder minding in their home is usually cheaper as they are self employed and can charge less as they usually mind a few kids. A childminder in your home is a nanny and is legally entitled to minimum wage.

Advertisement