Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche fees. How much are you paying?

Options
  • 18-07-2019 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭

Our 3 year old is in creche and it cost €606 a month after government subsidy. €50 a day. He's in 3 days a week.

We just were informed fees are going up by 4.5% in September.(Giraffe) The justification is costs associated with Tusla's quality framework costs and staff retention.

I'm wondering is this the case across the board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My sons crèche is €828 a month for 3 days after the government subsidy. I assume it’ll go down a bit in sept when he qualifies for the ECCE funding. This is North Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

baldbear wrote: »
    Our 3 year old is in creche and it cost €606 a month after government subsidy. €50 a day. He's in 3 days a week.

We just were informed fees are going up by 4.5% in September.(Giraffe) The justification is costs associated with Tusla's quality framework costs and staff retention.

I'm wondering is this the case across the board?

We are also with Giraffe, 1 child (baby), 5 days a week, 1015 after subsidy, going up to 1070 ish after the increase. I was paying 985 just before subsidies came in for my first son who has since moved on from there.

Staff retention has always been an issue, that's not new and as for the Tulsa quality framework, I don't know what's actually changing and why that means more fees? I don't see any difference in standard of care but fees keep going up.

I called head office earlier and was told the finance director would call me back on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Rural community creche.

€980 per month for 6 year old pre and after school and 18 month old full time.

Same girls minding the baby as minded the 6 year old when he was in the baby room.

We realise how lucky we have it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Can I ask what the government subsidy is? We have our baby with a minder but wonder would creche work out equal or better value. Very happy with her minder but curious to know other options if needed, I always thought creche was out of our budget..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’ll be 1500 odd for a 10 month old and wrap around care for a junior infants child (including bus)

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Can I ask what the government subsidy is? We have our baby with a minder but wonder would creche work out equal or better value. Very happy with her minder but curious to know other options if needed, I always thought creche was out of our budget..

It’s currently €80 a month off full time crèche fees and there’s no income limit. However a new scheme will come into effect in October and will give a sliding scale of discounts based on parents income. https://affordablechildcare.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

415 a month after ECCE discount for 2 days a week for 4yo

Cakerbaker wrote:
    It’s currently €80 a month off full time crèche fees and there’s no income limit. However a new scheme will come into effect in October and will give a sliding scale of discounts based on parents income.

Thanks what is it called? Is it a scheme or a tax credit?

I have heard about the new one coming later in the year, applies to registered minders only so I'll chat with ours and see if she is open to registering.

Thanks what is it called? Is it a scheme or a tax credit?

I have heard about the new one coming later in the year, applies to registered minders only so I'll chat with ours and see if she is open to registering.

The current one is the CCSP I think although I’ve no idea what that stands for. I’d to fill out a form for the crèche, they apply for it, it’s paid to them and they take it off my monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Crèches have been given a pile of extra paperwork to do in relation to grants and ecce and get nothing for it. Crèches are starting to close as it’s getting too much for people especially in smaller setups where the owner/manager also does some of the actual minding/teaching. They are really angry with zappone as she just gives them work without any help and also does nothing that really helps with staffing issues. Some. Crèches have stopped doing baby rooms as they are the most expensive to run and hardest to staff because of ratios being the lowest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Anecdotally a few of our local creches now won't take babies under 1 year old.Our minder is very reasonable compared to some prices quoted here, we definitely know how lucky we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I get the impression it is a big job for a minder to register with Tulsa. Our minder is but she is a minder who offers ecce. My younger boy is almost two so will get the universal scheme until he is eligible for ecce.
    There is a new scheme coming in but we earn too much I think you can earn something like €100,000 or €60,000 net.
    Anyway here is the universal one for the under 3’s.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

salmocab wrote: »
    Crèches have been given a pile of extra paperwork to do in relation to grants and ecce and get nothing for it. Crèches are starting to close as it’s getting too much for people especially in smaller setups where the owner/manager also does some of the actual minding/teaching. They are really angry with zappone as she just gives them work without any help and also does nothing that really helps with staffing issues. Some. Crèches have stopped doing baby rooms as they are the most expensive to run and hardest to staff because of ratios being the lowest.

Zappone is awful, very very little achievements for FG over their two terms across many of the portfolios

We are about 800 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Zappone is awful, very very little achievements for FG over their two terms across many of the portfolios

We are about 800 pm

She’s not FG just a clueless independent in a job she just doesn’t know how to do. Her vote was bought with one of the softest ministries and while I’m sure she’s well meaning she just is inept and out of her depth.
    The whole industry needs an overhaul and she certainly isn’t the woman for the job.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Around £1,800 a month before any subsidies. 3 year old and 18 month old in full time nursery in Manchester, just outside the city centre.

We use Tax-free Childcare and the age 3 paid term time 30 hours funded care to bring the cost out of pocket down to around 1250/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Around £1,800 a month before any subsidies. 3 year old and 18 month old in full time nursery in Manchester, just outside the city centre.

We use Tax-free Childcare and the age 3 paid term time 30 hours funded care to bring the cost out of pocket down to around 1250/month.

That's a mad price.

Here in Germany I am paying €150 a month for 2 kids, both are in the creche for 30 hours a week. The first 25 hours per kid is subsidised by the state where I live, each state is different. The cost per hour after the 25th hour is based on your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

€1400 a month for 2 kids in full time. I'm in Kerry. One in EECE brings it down to €1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭uli84

naughtb4 wrote: »

We are about 800 pm

Agreed, FG or not FG that woman is simply useless, looking forward to seeing her gone

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jester77 wrote: »
    That's a mad price.

Here in Germany I am paying €150 a month for 2 kids, both are in the creche for 30 hours a week. The first 25 hours per kid is subsidised by the state where I live, each state is different. The cost per hour after the 25th hour is based on your salary.

We used to live in London - it was 1400 per child there.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

firebird84 wrote: »
    We are also with Giraffe, 1 child (baby), 5 days a week, 1015 after subsidy, going up to 1070 ish after the increase. I was paying 985 just before subsidies came in for my first son who has since moved on from there.

Staff retention has always been an issue, that's not new and as for the Tulsa quality framework, I don't know what's actually changing and why that means more fees? I don't see any difference in standard of care but fees keep going up.

I called head office earlier and was told the finance director would call me back on Monday.

can I ask which Giraffe?
    I was just quoted 1180 (1108 after sub) for start in 09/2020, in Stepaside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

€1200 per month to crèche for purely after school..7 & 5 year old in 2nd class and senior infants so 1.30 &2.30 to 5.30pm 5 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

can I ask which Giraffe?
    I was just quoted 1180 (1108 after sub) for start in 09/2020, in Stepaside.

It's in D15, they all have different prices depending on location. The one in Harcourt Road is more expensive again, 1345 before the joke of a subsidy according to this article in the indo https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fees-for-dil-rt-crches-well-below-top-rates-charged-in-the-capital-38542043.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

5 days a week full time, 180 a week. The creche is run with the South Dublin County Council, and there's 0 staff turnover in there. They are great.

5 days a week full time, 180 a week. The creche is run with the South Dublin County Council, and there's 0 staff turnover in there. They are great.

Where is this? Do you have to meet particular criteria to get a place? That's incredibly cheap for fulltime childcare

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Mine is €220/week before subsidy, privately ran. Most amazing staff taking great care of my little one, 3min away from the house. Extremely lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

190e a week full time -20 sub so 170e.
    After-school care 22e a day.
    Really hope gov come up with some good solution. I hate to think crèche staff do not earn good wage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Where is this? Do you have to meet particular criteria to get a place? That's incredibly cheap for fulltime childcare

No criteria. We placed her on waiting list. Waited 4 months I think. It's the chain of Start Bright creches. It's now charity and community-run.

No criteria. We placed her on waiting list. Waited 4 months I think. It's the chain of

creches. It's now charity and community-run.

Wow it looks amazing. 40euro less than I pay a minder, it says term time only, so I presume you only pay for the weeks that the child is there? I'm a teacher so that really appeals to me. We save against the cost of most creches because our minder is not paid for the school holidays but that's the first creche I've seen open only during term time, and the first creche I've seen for that kind of price.

What ages do they take? Can children be dropped earlier or collected later than the times specified? Those hours wouldn't suit most working families. Is your fee calculated according to the supports available through tax credits/national childcare scheme? Sorry to bombard you with all the questions, this place just really doesn't fit with the impression I had of creches! Thanks in advance!

In our case we pay every week, whether the child is there or not. I dont know if it differs from creche to creche, I never checked tbh. Our one is open 7.30am – 6.15pm. They charge extra if you collect later, not sure about dropping earlier. Half day (til 1pm) is 120 euro. Full day suits us fine as the OH is home by 3pm. Fee is before childcare scheme, we only applied recently and will get another 24 euro p/w off after application is processed.

This crowd used to be part of the same SDCC frameworks so they may have similar fees

• Advertisement

Ok thanks I just have misread the hours, I thought it was 8.45-3.45 so good to know they open earlier. Are they not closed for school holidays then? Maybe I misread one section of the school and took it as the whole place.. we pay 220 per week but only 38 weeks per year so it does even out for us compared to most alternatives

Advertisement