Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭deezell

Thanks Isambard and Atlantic Dawn.

The revenue website which was last updated on 1st November 2019 states that I will have to pay VAT and hence my confusion. I have the extract from the website below.

" Used vehicles
    A vehicle brought into the State from the UK before 1 February 2020 can be registered as normal up until 1 March 2020. To register, customers must provide documentation to prove that the vehicle was acquired prior to 1 February".

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses/vrt-implications-of-trade-with-the-uk/vrt-implications-of-importing-cars-from-the-uk.aspx

Well that's as clear as mud.
    Do I pay VAT?
    Do I pay customs duty as well as VRT (non EU car Brand?).
    Do I have to leave the car at the port to be inspected, and walk home?
    Is it the end of Importing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

What proof do i need to prove i buy a car before 1/02/20.
    I'm heading over to UK to buy a car privately, flying 30/01/2020, buying the car from a private seller on the 31/01/20 and sailing home on 1/02/20. Just in case.

The Mulk wrote: »
    I'm heading over to UK to buy a car privately, flying 30/01/2020, buying the car from a private seller on the 31/01/20 and sailing home on 1/02/20. Just in case.
    Cash transfer record form your bank/revolut/transfermate? Ferry ticket with the car reg on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭User1998

The Mulk wrote: »

You need a dated invoice to vrt the car. You’ll have to write on a piece of paper “I purchased x car from x person on x date” and you and the seller need to sign it and date it. That can be proof.

Anyway theres a transition period until the end of the year so your grand. But you do need that invoice either way

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

I got more clarity on the Brexit issue by going through the revenue website.

VAT + Customs duty + VRT will be payable if there is a no-deal brexit (if the UK does not sign the withdrawl agreement).

If the UK signs the withdrawl agreement then there will be no change in the registration process during the transition period until Dec 2020.

We will have to wait and watch.

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    You need a dated invoice to vrt the car. You’ll have to write on a piece of paper “I purchased x car from x person on x date” and you and the seller need to sign it and date it. That can be proof.

Anyway theres a transition period until the end of the year so your grand. But you do need that invoice either way

That can be arranged. I suppose the fact that the ferry is early Sat. morning (01/02/20) The money is transferred already so I have that proof as well, (car is being purchased from a family member). I'll just check whatever other documents I need. I always bought from garages before.

Rang Revenue, they have no clue about a no deal Brexit and it's potential repercussions and NCTS said a hand written invoice and logbook are enough for them to prove date of purchase/ownership. I'll bide my time and see, I can always sail back on the 31st if worst comes to the worst. Reckon I'll be ok, dates wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

What's the best site to check a UK reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads I’m half thinking about going over to I’m for afew days next week to see what’s available and the state of the machines... I’m not sure where would be best... would there be better cheaper options up in Manchester and area around it or would I be better looking towards London ? Or any other car company suggestions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads I’m half thinking about going over to I’m for afew days next week to see what’s available and the state of the machines... I’m not sure where would be best... would there be better cheaper options up in Manchester and area around it or would I be better looking towards London ? Or any other car company suggestions ?

Up north is cheaper. Buying private or dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be looking at around the Preston, Manchester, Liverpool or even Leeds. Cheap flights to Manchester airport and then hop on a train. You then have the ferry option of Liverpool or Hollyhead. Cars tend to be a bit more expensive in London and then you have a fairly long enough trip ahead of you back to Swansea or Pembroke for the ferry.

Car99 wrote: »
    Up north is cheaper. Buying private or dealer?

If u mean Northern Ireland , I don’t think the difference is enough ... still relatively dear to Uk

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be looking at around the Preston, Manchester, Liverpool or even Leeds. Cheap flights to Manchester airport and then hop on a train. You then have the ferry option of Liverpool or Hollyhead. Cars tend to be a bit more expensive in London and then you have a fairly long enough trip ahead of you back to Swansea or Pembroke for the ferry.

Yea afew of the cars I seen seem to be around that area... Leeds Doncaster Manchester .... u buy from there yourself or know of any good dealers there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Yea afew of the cars I seen seem to be around that area... Leeds Doncaster Manchester .... u buy from there yourself or know of any good dealers there?
    Also, thoughts on extra potential for rust from harsher winters and gritting from northern cars?

Not me but I went over with a colleague about 2 years ago and he bought in Preston. Got a flight into Manchester, 1 hour train up to Preston and then just over 2 hour drive to Hollyhead. Bought from Evan Halshaw Ford.

For value, and car supermarket prices from a main dealer, Marshall Mercedes, Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, they always have modest miles fairly well specced cars, ex PCP lease and the like. Mercs for t'ordinary Lancashire lad, see?
    Motorsavedirect in Crewe for higher specced immaculate examples of 4-5 year old cars, if thats your bracket. A real personal operation. All very handy to Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnacoirbe50

Hoping someone might be able to help me.

Looking to buy a VW caddy in NI.

Whats involved with getting it cleared down here vrt wise.

Wouldnt have a VAT number either so wondering what implications thatwould have.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As far as I know 200 quid, job done.

Taxing it might be a bigger issue. Have you a business or a farm herd number?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnacoirbe50

Nope no business, what issue would pop up with taxing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you'd have to tax it Private . (unless you lie on the declaration you'll have to make saying you won't use it privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

deezell wrote: »
    For value, and car supermarket prices from a main dealer, Marshall Mercedes, Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, they always have modest miles fairly well specced cars, ex PCP lease and the like. Mercs for t'ordinary Lancashire lad, see?
    Motorsavedirect in Crewe for higher specced immaculate examples of 4-5 year old cars, if thats your bracket. A real personal operation. All very handy to Holyhead.

+1 on Marshall. Bought a car from their Audi dealership in Bexley, London a few years ago and they were a dream to deal with.

You cannot run a van on commercial tax now without valid reason. Farmers are ok and business are obviously ok.
    Your employer can give a letter stating that you use the van in connection with your employment if that is true.
    Otherwise, don't buy a van. Commercial tax is fairly expensive now versus private car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 For fun

mickdw wrote: »
    As far as I know 200 quid, job done.

Taxing it might be a bigger issue. Have you a business or a farm herd number?

if its registered as a commercial - van - then tax is commercial - given. By that I mean the VRT on a van is €200 once it is standard - tax follows the registration. You don't need a company to register a van, private persons can register

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not me but I went over with a colleague about 2 years ago and he bought in Preston. Got a flight into Manchester, 1 hour train up to Preston and then just over 2 hour drive to Hollyhead. Bought from Evan Halshaw Ford.

i seen a car from Evan Halshaw...your mate got on fine so? Are they linked to Stratstone? Theres a link to one of their cars on the stratstone site

For fun wrote: »
    if its registered as a commercial - van - then tax is commercial - given. By that I mean the VRT on a van is €200 once it is standard - tax follows the registration. You don't need a company to register a van, private persons can register

Yes I'm aware of that but how will he tax it?

For fun wrote: »

I think what was meant is that you pay private car road tax on a van thats used privately. It was a big issue when road tax was cc based, Van tax was only a few hundred but a 2l diesel road tax was 700 or more, hence all the young lads horsing around in vans in the 90's, well into the noughties, (Renault19, Citroen ZX and Peugeot 306 just some of the lad Vans that decorated my driveway). If you had a few acres you could get the commercial road tax without a VAT number, but had to take a DOE test every year.
    Small van tax, like a caddy, is now €333, but could be less if it was emissions based as a car, as that 2l diesel engine has only 128g emissions, annual road tax in the 5 door car version of this is €270, €63 per year less. However, if you import a van, VRT is only €200, there's no Nox charge, and you will get a VAT qualifying receipt in the UK, meaning you should get back UK VAT should you have to pay irish VAT post Feb. 1st.

i seen a car from Evan Halshaw...your mate got on fine so? Are they linked to Stratstone? Theres a link to one of their cars on the stratstone site

Evans Halshaw are huge, they own carstore(UK) and many main dealer franchises. I have a fair bit of experience with them and here's my advice

Don't ask them to move a car to a closer location - it takes forever and many times a car has taken weeks to do so

Be sure to get the car inspected, they are reputable but I have had issues with them - even 2018 sub 10K miles

Prices are fixed and generally come with an admin fee

Presence of the V5 is random, often, especially Carstore you get a copy - so beware

Other than that go for it!

deezell wrote: »
    I think what was meant is that you pay private car road tax on a van thats used privately. It was a big issue when road tax was cc based, Van tax was only a few hundred but a 2l diesel road tax was 700 or more, hence all the young lads horsing around in vans in the 90's, well into the noughties, (Renault19, Citroen ZX and Peugeot 306 just some of the lad Vans that decorated my driveway). If you had a few acres you could get the commercial road tax without a VAT number, but had to take a DOE test every year.
    Small van tax, like a caddy, is now €333, but could be less if it was emissions based as a car, as that 2l diesel engine has only 128g emissions, annual road tax in the 5 door car version of this is €270, €63 per year less. However, if you import a van, VRT is only €200, there's no Nox charge, and you will get a VAT qualifying receipt in the UK, meaning you should get back UK VAT should you have to pay irish VAT post Feb. 1st.

I register these regularly and a private individual can register a van in their name. A van has an M1 designation by default its commercial, insurance is another issue but tax by definition is commercial

• Advertisement

We had a few hiccups alright. Delay with payment transfer by his credit card was down to the credit card company not releasing the money despite being prepped in advance. Sorted when he rang them. Second delay was with the dealer not being familiar with selling to an Irish customer. Kept trying to tax the car for 1 month which meant setting up a direct debit but wouldn't work unless you have a UK bank account. Eventually paid by card for 6 months and got a refund from the DVLA for the unused tax when we got home and it was registered on Irish plates.

Luckily the ferry wasn't until later in the evening as we left the dealership during rush hour. The ferry ticket was a flexible ticket so we had a bit of time to judge if we would make the original ferry or if we had to change to the later sailing. But once we got outside Preston we made good progress on the motorway and luckily there were no roadworks or major delays getting our original ferry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement