Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

LillySV wrote: »

When was this put up on the website ? Or more to the point when was it last updated ? I think that could be up there with a few months and there before the UK accepted the Brexit deal from Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Tiger72 wrote: »
    When was this put up on the website ? Or more to the point when was it last updated ? I think that could be up there with a few months and there before the UK accepted the Brexit deal from Europe

It’s all I can see on the site relating to vat... I’d love if I’m wrong cause I’m unlikely to get over to buy something until feb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

It’s all I can see on the site relating to vat... I’d love if I’m wrong cause I’m unlikely to get over to buy something until feb

Its your lucky day because you are wrong .. Transition period until the end of the year at least where vat & customs won’t apply

User1998 wrote: »
    Its your lucky day because you are wrong .. Transition period until the end of the year at least where vat & customs won’t apply

Are u sure ? There is nothing anywhere to confirm this... and the bit I put up is from their website and a section of it quotes the no deal brexit part

Lads just looking for reputable places to buy a car... is there anywhere there that offfers a guarantee or any u reckon sells reliable cars?

Is Evans Halshaw York any good?
    Is cargiant good?
    How about big motoring world ?

If anyone could give me advice on these or suggest a reputable dealer I’d appreciate it ... I’m looking for 3 litre car or Jeep... preferably German

• Advertisement

Are u sure ? There is nothing anywhere to confirm this... and the bit I put up is from their website and a section of it quotes the no deal brexit part

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-50838994

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there will be a great gnashing of teeth should people realise they haven't really left the EU. Many want a No Deal no what what,

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Lads just looking for reputable places to buy a car... is there anywhere there that offfers a guarantee or any u reckon sells reliable cars?

Is cargiant good?

If anyone could give me advice on these or suggest a reputable dealer I’d appreciate it ... I’m looking for 3 litre car or Jeep... preferably German

I would recommend buying from a BMW garage if you can, the 1 year Euro warranty makes it basically risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is cargiant good?

If you are looking for a Audi I highly recommend Ashmarques in Bolton..

www.ashmarques.co.uk

Does anyone know if Audi or vw dealers in uk offer warranty on used cars that would work in Ireland

(I’ve come to realization I can’t afford an f15 X5 :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

Does anyone know if Audi or vw dealers in uk offer warranty on used cars that would work in Ireland

(I’ve come to realization I can’t afford an f15 X5 :( )

You'd have to ask was it uk only, which is likely if its not the original manufacturer's European wide warranty, but an extend3d one. If you're looking for 3l audi, youll make little saving, as vrt and nox combined on say a 2016 A6 car is about €11,000, add that to any modest milage UK car at £22k, €24k, and its not exactly a bargain. Petrol 3l might be a better buy. I bought a 3 year old a6 Quattro with 2 years warranty from irish main dealer for €24k, in 2018. No way to import for that kind of money

deezell wrote: »
    You'd have to ask was it uk only, which is likely if its not the original manufacturer's European wide warranty, but an extend3d one. If you're looking for 3l audi, youll make little saving, as vrt and nox combined on say a 2016 A6 car is about €11,000, add that to any modest milage UK car at £22k, €24k, and its not exactly a bargain. Petrol 3l might be a better buy. I bought a 3 year old a6 Quattro with 2 years warranty from irish main dealer for €24k, in 2018. No way to import for that kind of money

I had been looking at the car prices from time to time over the last few months and in many cases, it appears that the dealers in uk are lookin for more money now than they did afew months ago .. in particular the X5... maybe demand increased in Ireland pre brexit .. I thought more value in Jan to buy second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Apologies, I have only read the last couple of pages. Can someone please confirm that the online vrt calculator still does not include the new nox charge or has it been updated? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

Apologies, I have only read the last couple of pages. Can someone please confirm that the online vrt calculator still does not include the new nox charge or has it been updated? Thanks

Nox not included, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Thank you, that is what I thought from what I read here but just wanted to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bella34

The NOx is a mess and revenue haven't a clue. I used a site called myvehicle.ie to get a NOx and VRT quote cause we were going to by an Audi last week. No way now cause of this NOx thing. We knew the VRT was high but it was still worth it but the new charge was an extra €3850. Bloody joke.

What year was the car

dirty old diesels have had their day. The polluter pays,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

bella34 wrote: »
    The NOx is a mess and revenue haven't a clue. I used a site called myvehicle.ie to get a NOx and VRT quote cause we were going to by an Audi last week. No way now cause of this NOx thing. We knew the VRT was high but it was still worth it but the new charge was an extra €3850. Bloody joke.

Those websites are ridiculous, they more often give wrong prices. The only place you should be getting the price is Ros.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Isambard wrote: »
    dirty old diesels have had their day. The polluter pays,

Only if you import. You can buy the very same car second hand in Ireland and not pay the charge.

The only winners are motor dealers in Ireland.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Only if you import. You can buy the very same car second hand in Ireland and not pay the charge.

The only winners are motor dealers in Ireland.

yes but the object is that there will be less old diesels imported. That has to be a good thing. We all win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

yes but the object is that there will be less old diesels imported. That has to be a good thing. We all win

You haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about, but this thread is 'a definitive guide on import from the UK' not an environmental diesel car debate which you are trying to kick off.

True, about €300+ will buy 12 months warranty here on most cars, covering all the big stuff, engine, gearbox, etc. If you can get a discount in lieu of a UK dealer's unusable warranty, go for it. This is one of many vendors;
    https://quote.carprotect.ie/

Sorry Drexel I’m only coping the link you sent now!!! Are car protect any good ? Will the cover Uk car brought in

True, about €300+ will buy 12 months warranty here on most cars, covering all the big stuff, engine, gearbox, etc. If you can get a discount in lieu of a UK dealer's unusable warranty, go for it. This is one of many vendors;
    https://quote.carprotect.ie/

Sorry Deezell I’m only coping the link you sent now!!! Are car protect any good ? Will the cover Uk car brought in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Sorry Drexel I’m only coping the link you sent now!!! Are car protect any good ? Will the cover Uk car brought in

Lilly don’t be buying cars in the uk , u won’t have my rent next month if u do ! Lol

Lilly don’t be buying cars in the uk , u won’t have my rent next month if u do ! Lol

Don’t worry. I’ll go up and fill them HAP forms in the council office tomorrow 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The real objective was to steer buyers towards buying used cars from dealers here rather than across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    The real objective was to steer buyers towards buying used cars from dealers here rather than across the pond.

Is that really the case? A lot of Main dealers don’t stock Pre 2014 (maybe 2015) stuff. The 2016-2018/2019 stuff which is the bread and butter for Main dealers is still heavily discounted from the UK and causing huge issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

L-M wrote: »
    Is that really the case? A lot of Main dealers don’t stock Pre 2014 (maybe 2015) stuff. The 2016-2018/2019 stuff which is the bread and butter for Main dealers is still heavily discounted from the UK and causing huge issue.

I've seen main dealers selling UK imports themselves at full price.

They don't pass on the 'heavy discounts'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

pablo128 wrote: »
    I've seen main dealers selling UK imports themselves at full price.

They don't pass on the 'heavy discounts'.

But that’s not the point being made. Private individuals can still import the car the dealers can import. If someone wants to buy from a dealer and get it serviced warrantied etc they can still pay the premium.

It’s actually put a lot of smaller dealers out of business because they can’t get the stock.

This thing that the Dealers are behind it all and it’s benefiting them is wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement