Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bella34

It was 2014. I wasn't too familiar with all the different charges so I was shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭deezell

pablo128 wrote: »
    I've seen main dealers selling UK imports themselves at full price.

They don't pass on the 'heavy discounts'.

The entire nox thing is an attempt to restore the status quo for main dealers, who not so long ago did not have to worry in the slightest about UK imports, as excise rules charged full new car excise and tax on the oldest import.
    This meant we were at the mercy of the trade in market for decent used cars, which were well worn, unloved, poorly specced, and overpriced. New car aficionados loved this, as they could get huge trade in prices for bangers, and the main dealers loved it also, selling way more new than used. As an example, The first new car I ever owned, bought with a small windfall, was an '82 VW Jetta. 6 years later, 1988, smokey, rattly, rusty and well worn, when I sought to trade in against something reasonable used, the dealer offered me half the price of a brand new car as a trade in, such was the demand for any kind of used vw diesel. These were recessionary times, yet we paid inflated prices for used junk.
    The EU free market was meant to change that, with tge end of import duties on EU produced cars, but the govt. and SIMI dreamed up VRT and OMSP to keep each other happy on the new car front, but they did not see the import market going our way, what with using OMSP and not purchase price to calculate VRT. WIth the rise in euro value and the fall in UK used prices, it did, and we've had some decent value for the 12+ years, helping us over the recession and increases in personal taxation.
    If new car sales don't boom, I can't see why they will, we'll be left with the same scenario post Nox and Brexit, with dealers able to subsidise new sales with inflated trade in prices on scarce indigenous used stock. Unless VRT as a whole is seriously reduced on New cars, we're screwed, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

deezell wrote: »
    The entire nox thing is an attempt to restore the status quo for main dealers, who not so long ago did not have to worry in the slightest about UK imports, as excise rules charged full new car excise and tax on the oldest import.
    This meant we were at the mercy of the trade in market for decent used cars, which were well worn, unloved, poorly specced, and overpriced. New car aficionados loved this, as they could get huge trade in prices for bangers, and the main dealers loved it also, selling way more new than used. As an example, The first new car I ever owned, bought with a small windfall, was an '82 VW Jetta. 6 years later, 1988, smokey, rattly, rusty and well worn, when I sought to trade in against something reasonable used, the dealer offered me half the price of a brand new car as a trade in, such was the demand for any kind of used vw diesel. These were recessionary times, yet we paid inflated prices for used junk.
    The EU free market was meant to change that, with tge end of import duties on EU produced cars, but the govt. and SIMI dreamed up VRT and OMSP to keep each other happy on the new car front, but they did not see the import market going our way, what with using OMSP and not purchase price to calculate VRT. WIth the rise in euro value and the fall in UK used prices, it did, and we've had some decent value for the 12+ years, helping us over the recession and increases in personal taxation.
    If new car sales don't boom, I can't see why they will, we'll be left with the same scenario post Nox and Brexit, with dealers able to subsidise new sales with inflated trade in prices on scarce indigenous used stock. Unless VRT as a whole is seriously reduced on New cars, we're screwed, again.

How does that make any sense in your head?

Anything from 2016 up can still be imported the exact same normal which is what is hitting the main dealers hardest?

L-M wrote: »
    How does that make any sense in your head?

Anything from 2016 up can still be imported the exact same normal which is what is hitting the main dealers hardest?

I said post Nox and POST BREXIT. 23% VAT, Nox and VRT will knock the value out of imports, and if Sterling improves... and Nox is charged on everything, not just pre 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Howdy folks - encountered a rather odd situation earlier today. I saw a car I liked from a main BMW dealer in Liverpool so called them to inquire. They said that their company policy is to not sell any car that will be registered in the ROI. I was looking 2nd hand so didnt ask about new cars. Something about them being 'stung' in the past (fraud maybe? Guessing here). The dealership is part of a big dealership group by the same name in the Liverpool / Manchester area.

Has anyone come across this before? Problem is I rather like the car so am trying to be creative in my problem solving here.

I have family in the UK so one train of thought would be to register the sale using their address then bring it back to Ireland.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭User1998

If you register the car in your family members name you can drive the car away and your family member will get the logbook in the post. They can then post the logbook to you and you register the car like normal in Ireland. It means an extra owner is added to the logbook but its the only way around it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

register in your own name at the relatives address, then you can demonstrate it isn't an extra owner if it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭moby2101

Howdy folks - encountered a rather odd situation earlier today. I saw a car I liked from a main BMW dealer in Liverpool so called them to inquire. They said that their company policy is to not sell any car that will be registered in the ROI. I was looking 2nd hand so didnt ask about new cars. Something about them being 'stung' in the past (fraud maybe? Guessing here). The dealership is part of a big dealership group by the same name in the Liverpool / Manchester area.

Has anyone come across this before? Problem is I rather like the car so am trying to be creative in my problem solving here.

I have family in the UK so one train of thought would be to register the sale using their address then bring it back to Ireland.

Why put yourself thru the hassle?
    99% of BMW dealers have NO issue selling for export. I bought one in in 2018 .
    Have a look at SytnerBMW , lots of dealerships and vast array of cars.
    Super guys to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stratstone leeds were all on for selling me a car too no issue.
    The car though turned out to be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

mickdw wrote: »
    Stratstone leeds were all on for selling me a car too no issue.
    The car though turned out to be poor.

They are all on to deal with me too... did they mislead u on the car ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tell them you're going to register the car in France.

LillySV wrote: »
    They are all on to deal with me too... did they mislead u on the car ?

Yep. Pm sending now.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Hi all,

Ive just imported a car from the UK to ireland and was exempt from VRT by transfer of residence. if there is any one that is going to do this and needs some help i will happily explain the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep. Pm sending now.

Why send a PM?
    People read these threads for that sort of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

nathan99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive just imported a car from the UK to ireland and was exempt from VRT by transfer of residence. if there is any one that is going to do this and needs some help i will happily explain the process.

How long had you the car in the UK?

Why send a PM?
    People read these threads for that sort of information.

Well if it's of interest, I placed a deposit on a Dec 18 530e subject to inspection.
    It was Christmas week and too hard to travel so I got an inspection done in UK. Car in stock a good while as I'd made an offer previously at higher price and he refused to move on it. When price eventually dropped I went for it and paid the deposit.
    Inspection found car heavily scratched on rear door, rear bumper and a lighter but large scratch on the bonnet.
    2 wheels heavily damaged with chunks out of the tyre also at the damage area.
    The interior of the boot had the carpet worn on one side panel with a lot of dried grass on the floor of the boot below the main carpet.
    When I informed sales man that this was the finding he said it was his mistake and that the car had not been through prep at all and that it was all fixable. No doubt it was fixable but I wasn't having it as it certainly wasn't a car driven by a careful owner.
    Deposit was returned without issue.

If funny the perception of customers of a car prior to being prepped and a car being prepped.

Most if not all cars that come in get some sort of bodywork, dent doctor, wheels fixed etc Yet unless you see it as the finished product, it’s a walk away job.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Brought in a 152 Hyundai I30 1.6 Diesel last week from Bolton. Only have to pay an extra €235 for the NOX. The car only had 27000 miles on the clock and was immaculate. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If funny the perception of customers of a car prior to being prepped and a car being prepped.

Most if not all cars that come in get some sort of bodywork, dent doctor, wheels fixed etc Yet unless you see it as the finished product, it’s a walk away job.

I think seeing a car prior to it being prepped for resale gives a clearer picture of how the previous keeper treated it. Yeah from a selling perspective it can be dolled up to hide indications of abuse or neglect but I think these days with top dollar being asked for cars, buyers can afford to be a bit fussy even with a used car, rather than just accepting any old muck glossed over with a bit of touch up paint and a valeting.

Well in my case, the car was exactly 1 year old, big money with diamond cut wheels. What kind of an ape takes lumps out of diamond cut wheels on a new 5 series. The same kind of ape that fires his lawnmower into the boot scratching the sh1t out of the bumper. Some might think I'd should be happy to have such a car but I don't. It would be a somewhat better situation if dealer had said it's just in the door, have a loom at it as is but everything will be right when you come to pick it up.
    In this case, he was pushing for handover and only after having it inspected did he say he thought it was prepped but hadn't been. Piss poor service.

• Advertisement

No but what I mean is, as a salesman, seeing what comes in and what the finished product is.

If you walked into that BMW forecourt and everything was properly prepped, you would have no idea what they were like before they came in. In reality, the car you probably bought in the end could have realistically had more work done to it than the one you didn’t buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Lleyn elec wrote: »
    How long had you the car in the UK?

i had it for 6 months

No but what I mean is, as a salesman, seeing what comes in and what the finished product is.

If you walked into that BMW forecourt and everything was properly prepped, you would have no idea what they were like before they came in. In reality, the car you probably bought in the end could have realistically had more work done to it than the one you didn’t buy.

I’d say there’s not a huge amount of people that would trash an expensive car like that so much in one year ... u might say something if it was a 2008 car... but it wasn’t... it was a year old and bmw Uk were going to charge a hefty sum for it

Lads I think all new bmws come with 3 year warranty in Uk... so would I be right in thinking that if I bought a car made in July 17 then I should have full warranty until July 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes and it will be honored here as BMW Ireland and BMW UK are the same distributor.

LillySV wrote: »
    I’d say there’s not a huge amount of people that would trash an expensive car like that so much in one year ... u might say something if it was a 2008 car... but it wasn’t... it was a year old and bmw Uk were going to charge a hefty sum for it

Car pool company car. No one gave a sh1t about it. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

whats the news about VAT after 31 Jan 2020?. If I import the car in Feb, I will be charged VAT right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

whats the news about VAT after 31 Jan 2020?. If I import the car in Feb, I will be charged VAT right?

not until the end of the year at the earliest unless they crash out No Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With no deal could be VAT, very unlikely such a sxebario. I'm unsure on the validity of MOT cert to swap for NCT post 31st Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

Thanks Isambard and Atlantic Dawn.

The revenue website which was last updated on 1st November 2019 states that I will have to pay VAT and hence my confusion. I have the extract from the website below.

" Used vehicles
    A vehicle brought into the State from the UK before 1 February 2020 can be registered as normal up until 1 March 2020. To register, customers must provide documentation to prove that the vehicle was acquired prior to 1 February".

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses/vrt-implications-of-trade-with-the-uk/vrt-implications-of-importing-cars-from-the-uk.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement