Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Yes, can anyone find examples of the royal family being photographed in their homes and then published in the UK in the last decade?

Seriously? Just off the top of my head, Meghan and Harry's had a home that had to be given up as they were literally stalked out of it. Remember reading that more than a year ago I believe, and seeing the pictures of it that were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Stateofyou wrote: »
    No, Kate was given an avocado WHILST she was pregnant. Kate is also involved in social and economic justice I think you'll find. That is still beside the point. You can't say one is a healthy additive in pregnancy for one and leave it at that, and for the other it's only a sin. Just because someone speaks up when and where they can, doesn't mean they can be hyperaware and perfect on every single thing they do in their life. That's impossible and impractical. You should still do good and raise awareness where you can.

You aren't explaining how they headlines are comparing the same thing though. They aren't the same thing. Apples and oranges. This example fails a basic logical test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Taking them one by one. Avocados have been dropped by progressive 'socially aware' restaurants and outlets because the impact of their popularity has caused terrible social, environmental and economic problems.

The stories:
    Kate is given a gift of avocado when her child is born.
    Meghan, supposedly into social and economic justice, serves avocados to her guests.

Totally different things. According to Buzzfeed, they are exactly the same scenarios. Kate does not present herself as an influencer in social justice issues and didn't buy the avocados in the headlines, Meghan does present herself as an example and did serve them to her guests.

I can't believe I have to explain these obvious, intrinsic differences. Buzzfeed are not known for their impartial and measured articles.

Where does it say Meghan bought them in her headline?
    It just says she likes them. Nothing about buying them, serving them, or being given them.
    She could eat them once a year for all we know. I'm sure if they had actual proof that she regularly consumes them, they'd have published it.

Regardless, do you think that liking avocados justifies being linked to an increase in the murder rate, droughts, and human rights abuses?
    Do you think this is a reasonable assumption to make? Is it reasonable to blame one person for murder increases based on them making an offhand comment about liking avocados?

If you saw a friend eating one, would you assume they were intentionally trying to fuel human rights abuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, can anyone find examples of the royal family being photographed in their homes and then published in the UK in the last decade?

from the BBC article
    Lawyers say there have also been attempts to photograph inside their home using long-range lenses and they accuse the paparazzi of being camped outside the property

You aren't explaining how they headlines are comparing the same thing though. They aren't the same thing. Apples and oranges. This example fails a basic logical test.

Not apples and oranges, avacados - lol.

It's the eating of avocados in pregnancy, nothing difficult there. Who's to say Kate didn't gobble them up OR serve to her guests either? The only reason anyone knows Meghan did is one of her guests posted it on social media.

• Advertisement

Seriously? Just off the top of my head, Meghan and Harry's had a home that had to be given up as they were literally stalked out of it. Remember reading that more than a year ago I believe, and seeing the pictures of it that were taken.

Do you have a link to these photos or stories?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Where does it say Meghan bought them in her headline?
    It just says she likes them. Nothing about buying them, serving them, or being given them.
    She could eat them once a year for all we know. I'm sure if they had actual proof that she regularly consumes them, they'd have published it.

Regardless, do you think that liking avocados justifies being linked to an increase in the murder rate, droughts, and human rights abuses?
    Do you think this is a reasonable assumption to make? Is it reasonable to blame one person for murder increases based on them making an offhand comment about liking avocados?

If you saw a friend eating one, would you assume they were intentionally trying to fuel human rights abuses?

The original article said she served them to her guests.

In her recent cookbook she describes her "very favourite avocado dip that I now make at home".

So she's a big fan of avocados, which all good wokesters would no doubt call 'problematic'.

from the BBC article

Her lawyers say. Ah OK, that's all the proof we need. There's been no photos actually published that I have seen and the paps were probably foreign, likely even American. They won't have to go so far now that they are in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Her lawyers say. Ah OK, that's all the proof we need. There's been no photos actually published that I have seen and the paps were probably foreign, likely even American. They won't have to go so far now that they are in Canada.

Is it important where the paps are from? You seem to have some inside knowledge of their nationality. how did you obtain that knowledge?

• Advertisement

The thing is, they don't even have to be published (yet) for the effects of the stalking and harassment and violation of privacy to affect your life.

I read that the Canadian government is strictly vetting photographers coming in to their country now who may be paparazzi trying to take photos of them, but they don't have work permits so that won't be allowed.

Is it important where the paps are from? You seem to have some inside knowledge of their nationality. how did you obtain that knowledge?

The UK code of practice means there is no market for paparazzi photos of the Royals in the UK, particularly the children. If you read any article on paparazzi photos of the Royals in the last two decades, they were almost exclusively taken and published by press outside the UK and usually of the royals on holiday or on tour outside the UK.

In her recent cookbook she describes her "very favourite avocado dip that I now make at home".

So she's a big fan of avocados, which all good wokesters would no doubt call 'problematic'.

I'm not asking about "wokesters", I'm asking do you think its reasonable, justified and acceptable to link someone to an increase in the murder rate, droughts, and human rights abuses, because they like avocados?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here is a good example of the difference between how William and Kate are treated by the media vs Harry and Meghan.

Their homes.

Prince William and Kate get to live in a Palace. The cost of refurbishment to the taxpayer was £4.5 M. Harry and Meghan got to live in a cottage, with a refurbishment cost of £2.5 M
    Yet ANOTHER bill for Frogmore Cottage: Taxpayers are paying £750,000 for security at Harry and Meghan's new home - on top of the £3million cost of refurbishing it
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7180949/Taxpayers-paying-750-000-security-Harry-Meghans-new-home-3m-refurbishment.html
    PIERS MORGAN: Why should taxpayers pay millions so super-rich Prince Harry and Meghan ‘Kardashian’ Markle can have a mansion makeover just because they don’t get on with Wills and Kate?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7178971/PIERS-MORGAN-taxpayers-pay-millions-Harry-Meghan-mansion-makeover.html
    Harry and Meghan to install a taxpayer-funded £50,000 green boiler at Frogmore Cottage...
    They could've moved next door!' Fury as it emerges Harry and Meghan spent £2.4million of YOUR cash on Frogmore Cottage 'to escape rift with Kate and William' - and final bill could hit £3m

You effin couldn't make this stuff up. The difference in media treatment couldn't be greater.

One lot cost the UK taxpayer 50% less to accommodate and yet get an infinite percentage more flack and criticism.

I'm not asking about "wokesters", I'm asking do you think its reasonable, justified and acceptable to link someone to an increase in the murder rate, droughts, and human rights abuses, because they like avocados?

You're being overly dramatic. They said the avocados are the problem.

You're being overly dramatic. They said the avocados are the problem.

I think the tabloids are the ones being over dramatic here, not me, but I'll take your refusal to answer as admission that you also think its unreasonable.

You're just too stubborn to admit it.

I think the tabloids are the ones being over dramatic here, not me, but I'll take your refusal to answer as admission that you also think its unreasonable.

You're just too stubborn to admit it.

It's true that avocados cause horrendous social and economic problems. It's true that Meghan serves them to guests and promotes them in her cookbook. It's true that she presents herself as being outspoken on social and environmental issues. So no, I don't think it's unreasonable to point out the dissonance here.

It's not that different to all the recent press stories about how people who take a line of cocaine on the weekend don't like to think how they are contributing to the massive social problems it is causing.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the problem with avocados? They are grown extensively in New Zealand and Australia, and I'm not aware of any problems.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what is the problem with avocados? They are grown extensively in New Zealand and Australia, and I'm not aware of any problems.

"The short answer is that avocado farming is causing deforestation, destroying ecosystems, funding drug cartels, and contributing to climate change. In Michoacán, Mexico, the biggest avocado producing region in the world, farmers are illegally razing pine forests in order to plant lucrative avocado trees. The native pine trees make up an irreplaceable habitat to indigenous species, including the iconic monarch butterfly.

Astonishingly, it takes up to 1,000 liters of water to grow just 1 kg of avocados–roughly 3 avocados. (By contrast, 1 kg of broccoli only uses around 45 liters of water.) As the water-hogging avocado orchards replace the pines, they divert natural streams and water sources from local animal species. Even more trees are cut down to make crates to transport the avocados, further exacerbating water shortage and destroying carbon sinks.

In Michoacán, avocado exports bring in $109 million a year and have become a lucrative business for Mexico’s drug cartels such as Los Caballeros Templarios (The Knights Templar). When the farmers refuse to pay the gangs, their orchards and processing plants are burned down–or worse. The situation is such that the avocado, long called “green gold” by the locals, is now referred to as “blood guacamole.” Meanwhile, the chemicals and toxins from avocado orchards cause respiratory and stomach problems in local residents."

https://ethicalunicorn.com/2018/09/23/how-sustainable-ethical-is-eating-avocado/

OK, you got me, a helicopter flew over their temporary accommodation once. Were any of the photos purchased or published by the UK press? Splash Media are a global company, I believe their HQ is in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

Avocado production has quite a high water usage footprint, which is problematic when a lot of them are grown in areas that are sometimes prone to drought.

Beyond that, there are issues with land use for intensive large scale single crop farming, and with shipping across the world, but this is common to most foods. Avocados have become a particular target for these issues because certain types of reactionary rags push the narrative that all millennials love avocados and all millennials are therefore hypocrites for daring to care about the environment (or in this case swap "millennial" with "Meghan")

Edit: worth commenting about the above post I hadn't seen that mentions drug cartels in Mexico profiting from them - this is true, but is also true for other crops that grow in similar regions, like coffee. And, much like coffee, avocados that are grown elsewhere with no such connections to organised crime are widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems pretty clear here that no doubt our Moon friend here is also a fan of complaining about "SJWs", "PC gone mad", "lefties" etc etc. This is one of the other reasons that Piers Morgan and Daily Mail readers hate her. She has the audacity to be outspokenly feminist, which as we know causes all the gammon to go into complete meltdown.

Like Greta Thunberg, a woman daring to speak her mind without male approval causes these individuals to become irrationally angry. And even though they can't really tell you why they get so worked up, they know that the woman is to blame and she is therefore to be derided and attacked at every opportunity. "She brought this on herself", and so forth.

It's so transparent at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Gotta love how the very thing the Brit Royalists loved about HARRY, bucking Royal protocol, doing his own thing, and generally being the 'cool' Royal, is the thing they hate him for now, and apparently completely out of character.

seamus wrote: »
    It seems pretty clear here that no doubt our Moon friend here is also a fan of complaining about "SJWs", "PC gone mad", "lefties" etc etc. This is one of the other reasons that Piers Morgan and Daily Mail readers hate her. She has the audacity to be outspokenly feminist, which as we know causes all the gammon to go into complete meltdown.

Like Greta Thunberg, a woman daring to speak her mind without male approval causes these individuals to become irrationally angry. And even though they can't really tell you why they get so worked up, they know that the woman is to blame and she is therefore to be derided and attacked at every opportunity. "She brought this on herself", and so forth.

It's so transparent at this stage.

OK. Guilt by imaginary association with Piers and ‘gammon’ packaged in a lovely, glaring dose of hypocrisy. Thank you for this contribution.

"The short answer is that avocado farming is causing deforestation, destroying ecosystems, funding drug cartels, and contributing to climate change. In Michoacán, Mexico, the biggest avocado producing region in the world, farmers are illegally razing pine forests in order to plant lucrative avocado trees. The native pine trees make up an irreplaceable habitat to indigenous species, including the iconic monarch butterfly.

Astonishingly, it takes up to 1,000 liters of water to grow just 1 kg of avocados–roughly 3 avocados. (By contrast, 1 kg of broccoli only uses around 45 liters of water.) As the water-hogging avocado orchards replace the pines, they divert natural streams and water sources from local animal species. Even more trees are cut down to make crates to transport the avocados, further exacerbating water shortage and destroying carbon sinks.

In Michoacán, avocado exports bring in $109 million a year and have become a lucrative business for Mexico’s drug cartels such as Los Caballeros Templarios (The Knights Templar). When the farmers refuse to pay the gangs, their orchards and processing plants are burned down–or worse. The situation is such that the avocado, long called “green gold” by the locals, is now referred to as “blood guacamole.” Meanwhile, the chemicals and toxins from avocado orchards cause respiratory and stomach problems in local residents."

https://ethicalunicorn.com/2018/09/23/how-sustainable-ethical-is-eating-avocado/

Yeah, I have already had a look. Absolutely typical nonsense beat up. All forms of food supply in third world countries that is done to supply consumers in first world countries causes major ecological problems. This is a truism that has been in effect since well into the last century. Deforestation of the Amazon by ranchers in Brazil to supply McDonalds - that's been going on for decades. Indonesia is clearing vast areas of jungle to cultivate palm oil, leading to dreadful loss of habitat for wildlife and air pollution that covers the whole of SE Asia. The Oceans are being raped of nearly every ounce of 'free' protein every country can possibly manage. The Albatross is facing extinction due to long-line fishing. I really could go on for hours.

Did you know Australia grows rice? As usual, they are very efficient at it, but, yeah, they grow rice, and have emptied the continents largest river system, the Murray-Darling, in order to pursue this idiotic enterprise.

There is no eco friendly agriculture on the planet. Either get over it or leave the planet.

Anyone who wants to wag a finger at Meghan for some avocados has to have no concept of conscience or hypocrisy, an IQ of 20 or 75% of their former brain matter rotted by tertiary syphilis, or more likely, all of the above.

I ate half an avocado last night, I'll probably eat the other half shortly. Anyone who disapproves, can go....

Just wondering, would you avoid eating anything with Palm Oil in it?

Yeah, I have already had a look. Absolutely typical nonsense beat up. All forms of food supply in third world countries that is done to supply consumers in first world countries causes major ecological problems. This is a truism that has been in effect since well into the last century. Deforestation of the Amazon by ranchers in Brazil to supply McDonalds - that's been going on for decades. Indonesia is clearing vast areas of jungle to cultivate palm oil, leading to dreadful loss of habitat for wildlife and air pollution that covers the whole of SE Asia. The Oceans are being raped of nearly every ounce of 'free' protein every country can possibly manage. The Albatross is facing extinction due to long-line fishing. I really could go on for hours.

Did you know Australia grows rice? As usual, they are very efficient at it, but, yeah, they grow rice, and have emptied the continents largest river system, the Murray-Darling, in order to pursue this idiotic enterprise.

There is no eco friendly agriculture on the planet. Either get over it or leave the planet.

Anyone who wants to wag a finger at Meghan for some avocados has to have no concept of conscience or hypocrisy, an IQ of 20 or 75% of their former brain matter rotted by tertiary syphilis, or more likely, all of the above.

I ate half an avocado last night, I'll probably eat the other half shortly. Anyone who disapproves, can go....

It depends on whether you are comparing staples that are ubiquitous and in practically every shopping basket in one form or another and a trendy fruit that is a self-contained luxury item.

It’s extremely easy to avoid eating and promoting avocados altogether. You need to do a lot more homework and have a lot more commitment to avoid palm oil as the example above.

I always ask myself ‘what would Meghan do?’ before I make a purchase though. Anyone for avocado on toast?

It depends on whether you are comparing staples that are ubiquitous and in practically every shopping basket in one form or another and a trendy fruit that is a self-contained luxury item.

It’s extremely easy to avoid eating and promoting avocados altogether. You need to do a lot more homework and have a lot more commitment to avoid palm oil as the example above.

I always ask myself ‘what would Meghan do?’ before I make a purchase though. Anyone for avocado on toast?

Ah okay, and so you also research the manufacturers and working conditions of the factory, geographical region and impact to the environment before you purchase any of your clothes, shoes, personal products?

And you know, if you care about something you don't have to care about everything. We'd all go insane. Most of us do the best we can. Vilifying her is pointless and petty. She undoubtedly does more for spreading awareness on various things and therefore has greater impact on those areas, than you do on literally anything.

• Advertisement

Ah okay, and so you also research the manufacturers and working conditions of the factory, geographical region and impact to the environment before you purchase any of your clothes, shoes, personal products?

I don't consider myself an influencer on social justice and environmental issues. I don't care how you conduct your life or present yourself, I don't know why you should be concerned about me. We're discussing what Meghan says vs what she does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement