Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous #GE2020 promises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I can't see the Soc Dems getting anywhere but I did like what I've seen of their manifesto. It has to be Greens for me, regardless of Eamon's shennanigans I do believe they actually want public transport and cycling infrastructure unlike the other parties, so if the polls are right they could get 10% of the vote, which hopefully might be enough seats to sway some projects to get them going.

they're on 15% in Dublin according to today's poll, which could translate into a lot of seats (their national figure is meaningless as they haven't a hope in many rural areas).

The Greens have their flaws, and Eamon Ryan is prone to the odd brainfart (reintroducing wolves?) but I believe they're sincere and not in it for the glory. I'll give them a chance and hope they learned something from their last stint when FF basically took them to the cleaners.

The SDs have some good policies but they don't seem have gained any traction - they're fighting for the same soft-left votes as Labour and Greens and the climate crisis is giving the latter a major boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I support green policies in general! But this is the IRISH green party, they have been objecting to denser residential development for a start (how awful that their potential voters might have to look at an apartment block v a house or a 5 floor apartment block v a 3 floor one :rolleyes: How typical. What nimby attitude did they adopt with bus connects, the one that offer massive improvements for 100% of citizens, but a fraction of a percent will lose a tiny bit of the front garden, that most dont use! what a greek tragedy! :rolleyes:

The crayons with dublin metro! the usual BS!

Which members of the gp have opposed bus connects? I find that hard to believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

prunudo wrote: »
    Bar being petty because it's an FG project is there any reason FF would want to disrupt Metrolink. I always thought they were pro infrastructure.

The next government will be carrying the can for a lot of the important stages of Metrolink: the planning stage (where a lot of vested interests will be throwing mud at the project in the hope of derailing it), procurement (when budget under-estimates could be exposed) and hopefully signing the contract (where any construction problems will be laid at their door). FF could decide to blame any issues on FG, send it back for review and just kick the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭prunudo

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The next government will be carrying the can for a lot of the important stages of Metrolink: the planning stage (where a lot of vested interests will be throwing mud at the project in the hope of derailing it), procurement (when budget under-estimates could be exposed) and hopefully signing the contract (where any construction problems will be laid at their door). FF could decide to blame any issues on FG, send it back for review and just kick the can.

After 40 years of can kicking, the thing just needs to be built. If as it looks is a possibility, the Greens get in with either FG or FF, they put the pressure on either party to prioritise public transport. Although I'm skeptical of whether them propping up a government will actually be good for the economy as whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I love this comedy! How much is pouring out of Dublin to rural Ireland. I dont care what rural ireland think, I know for a FACT that dublins transport is near third world, has "rural ireland" ever taken a flight to the continent? what did they think of the transport in a dublin sized city V the big schmoke? :rolleyes:

Urban Ireland isn't just Dublin. I hate this false dichotomy.

• Advertisement

The planning stage for ML is basically done, the vested interest have in the main been appeased

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I just read the Dublin commuter group proposals. You need a few of that lot running for election. Not the morons that are !

The easiest and most beneficial green movement, is getting people out of cars. Eases congestion and would help environment massively. As transport here is so appalling , there is a lot of low hanging fruit.

So a roof on Dublin, can't say you are thinking small

So a roof on Dublin, can't say you are thinking small

Roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're on 15% in Dublin according to today's poll, which could translate into a lot of seats (their national figure is meaningless as they haven't a hope in many rural areas).

The Greens have their flaws, and Eamon Ryan is prone to the odd brainfart (reintroducing wolves?) but I believe they're sincere and not in it for the glory. I'll give them a chance and hope they learned something from their last stint when FF basically took them to the cleaners.

The SDs have some good policies but they don't seem have gained any traction - they're fighting for the same soft-left votes as Labour and Greens and the climate crisis is giving the latter a major boost.

At 15% they are guaranteed a seat in a five-seater, and odds-on for the four-seaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Urban Ireland isn't just Dublin. I hate this false dichotomy.

As far as I can tell, all other cities and towns get lumped in with "Rural Ireland". Even then the various cities claim Dublin gets everything.

• Advertisement

The planning stage for ML is basically done, the vested interest have in the main been appeased

How is planning basically done, the Railway Order hasn't even been submitted!? The oral hearing will be great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

How is planning basically done, the Railway Order hasn't even been submitted!? The oral hearing will be great craic.

I can imagine it now. It’ll be Kevin Barry changed into his hurling knicks or took a dump somewhere, so they can’t go ahead without another massive ten year redesign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Check out this thread. Seems public transport is a major issue. They need more educated folks on this topic to point them towards specifics.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112318616

As far as I can tell, all other cities and towns get lumped in with "Rural Ireland". Even then the various cities claim Dublin gets everything.

That's the point we need to shift the talking point to urban PT , urban improvements.

As I said some of the vested interest have been appeased baring GRADA and the apartment block in town

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a canvasser for the soc dems at the door last night, canvassing for roisin shortall. she seemed happy that someone living so near a proposed metro north station was all in favour of it. i won't say i detected a note of surprise in her voice, but i suspect she got a more negative response about it from some others living nearby.

As I said some of the vested interest have been appeased baring GRADA and the apartment block in town

The oral hearing will give a platform to all sorts of crackpots and the media will regurgitate their hyperbolic nonsense, giving it way more credibility than it deserves. The consultations are easy enough as they can say "we are still making adjustments and will take that on board", with the the ABP submission, the objectors can't be fobbed off so the gloves will be off. The fun is only about to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

i had a canvasser for the soc dems at the door last night, canvassing for roisin shortall. she seemed happy that someone living so near a proposed metro north station was all in favour of it. i won't say i detected a note of surprise in her voice, but i suspect she got a more negative response about it from some others living nearby.
    What kind of morons wouldn’t want a metro station nearby ?

Certain sections of the Irish population that drive everywhere and don’t give a **** about anyone else.

Something something ventilation shaft https://twitter.com/cartb4thehorse/status/1213876837648089094

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

define 'nearby' and you have the problem. in that they'd like one within 500m of the house, but not within 200m because of the construction phase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I hate saying it, but a key part of the PR campaign for the metro should be letting homeowners know how much the value of their property is likely to increase if located near a metro stop.

Many residents living nearby drive everywhere and can't even fathom the idea of using public transport. They don't give a **** about public transport. All they care about is the value of their properties.

We had the same nonsense when the Luas was first proposed. Now residents love it because of increased property values. It's all €€€.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

The DART to Drogheda using battery\electric non-diesel trains so the line north of Malahide does not require electrification.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

nc6000 wrote: »
    The DART to Drogheda using battery\electric non-diesel trains so the line north of Malahide does not require electrification.

Battery electric is just a stopgap. Electrification is still necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    Battery electric is just a stopgap. Electrification is still necessary.

This is what the letter from the NTA says. They say they "are focusing on the acquisition of battery electric and electric rail fleet."

"A benefit of this fleet type is that it will allow for the introduction of non-diesel vehicles for DART services on the Northern and South East Lines providing DART service from Drogheda to Greystones without the need for the advance electrification of that line north of Malahide."

Do they plan to use battery electric north of Malahide until the line is electrified?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Remember these are the people who back in the day wanted their neighborhood changed from Ballymun to Glasnevin. The worst kind of suburban snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

nc6000 wrote: »
    Do they plan to use battery electric north of Malahide until the line is electrified?

Yes. They also plan on using battery electric while the Kildare lines are being electrified. It's a stopgap. The following generation of DART trains will be all electric again, as the batteries are going to be incredibly heavy and cause the trains to be slower to accelerate.

They’ve an issue with a ventilation shaft for an electric powered metro ? What do they think of all the filthy diesels driving past their houses and parked outside their own houses ?!

They’ve an issue with a ventilation shaft for an electric powered metro ? What do they think of all the filthy diesels driving past their houses and parked outside their own houses ?!

They don't think. They've got their cars so that's all that matters

• Advertisement

They don't think. They've got their cars so that's all that matters

My dad said you need a small dictatorship to get anything done in this country and he’s right ! These people are small minded fools , but The politicians are more to blame. They should have realised that you can’t square a circle , a long time ago !

Advertisement