Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

seamus wrote: »
    Ultimate goal? As the man above me says; save lives. Reduce the money flowing into criminal hands, reduce the market for cocaine, reduce the money to be made in it.

It's a short-term measure, but necessary because the real solutions are not quick. Whatever about following the US model to legalise cannabis, legalising cocaine is a very different matter entirely. It's not something the government can just click their fingers and do.

It's kind of funny that at least 2 people read my post and assumed my intent was to clean the streets of drugs. I support fining people for purchasing illegal drugs in the same way that I support fining people who buy stolen phones and tellies.

The fact that you can't buy drugs legally is a separate matter that can be dealt with in parallel.

So if you want to save lives, why don't you consistently try to stop everything that threatens lives?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pure.conya wrote: »
    its illegal to drive while on alcohol, can't go to work on alcohol either unless you're a government minister that is but that's for another discussion

regarding its addictive aspects, its actually the 5th most addictive drug after #1 alcohol, #2 heroin, #3 crack, #4 meth, #5 cocaine

The NIDA disagree, as do other experts such as Rehab Spot and the National Addiction Center, to name just three...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So if you want to save lives, why don't you consistently try to stop everything that threatens lives?
    Ah the we can't do everything, so we should do nothing argument. Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

MDMA is basically safe and could be legalised instead of cocaine.

Prof David Nutt says mephedrone is safer than coke, maybe it could be made legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I'm out on the beer all the time with the lads and never see any cocaine use

Its all blown out of proportion.

That’s cause your old ;)
    The young lad here can’t go and buy a drink , fags or even a lighter
    But he could get you anything you wanted over Snapchat without leaving the house and this is small town Ireland here.
    I can see a return of the drugs marches
    Its a scourge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah the we can't do everything, so we should do nothing argument. Well done.

... and in reutrn we hve the "I can't challenge the argumetn so I'm just going bemoan it insterad"

I'll put it more bluntly so: the posters have no interest in saving lives any more than they have interest in the slave trade in a foreign continent. Someone said "drugs bad, mmmkay?" and they don't have either the deisre or ablity to go and research it for themselves and use these as excuses to cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

If bath salts were still legal we would have a lot less Cocaine use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

seamus wrote: »

The cartels in South America wield more power than the governments, in some cases having their own private militias. Because they were allowed to operate and gather money unchecked for a long time. We can't allow the gangs here to continue making more and more money.

That's not really true. At the greatest extent of their power in Colombia they were still much weaker than the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Would it not be more the country of origins fault for allowing the production to take place under their noses? Colombia has 392,897.5 acres of land for coca growing (according to a 2017 Business Insider article which I can't link as I'm on my work PC, and those kinds of searches may not look well if ever checked). That's a lot of land, should the Colombian government not be overall responsible?

The Colombian state has spent decades trying to erradicate cocaine. Thousands of police officers, soldiers and judges have died as a result. Funnily enough, it's hard to get rid of an insanely profitable product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

... and in reutrn we hve the "I can't challenge the argumetn so I'm just going bemoan it insterad"

I'll put it more bluntly so: the posters have no interest in saving lives any more than they have interest in the slave trade in a foreign continent. Someone said "drugs bad, mmmkay?" and they don't have either the deisre or ablity to go and research it for themselves and use these as excuses to cover it up.

What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Big Gerry wrote: »
    If bath salts were still legal we would have a lot less Cocaine use.

Out of interest, how many different substances were sold as bath salts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Legalizing hardline drugs is not the answer either though... it's going from one extreme to the other!

They should call this idea "operation out of the frying pan"... :P

The answer is a multi-faceted approach. We need to put as much effort and resources into helping those with drug addictions, as we do with catching and punishing drug lords and dealers!

If we were talking about some other dangerous item, such as weapons for example, I doubt practically anyone in society would be arguing for the complete legalization of dangerous weapons, as a way of removing criminal gangs and lessening gun violence! It would be a laughable suggestion... (not to yanks obviously - but most of the rest of the sane people in this world)

And I think it's equally laughable to suggest complete legalization of dangerous drugs.

I'm completely in favour of better education and better help/resources for those with addiction problems, but I am not naive enough to think that creating an open door policy regarding drugs, would be in any way successful... it would be a disaster in fact!

I can't help thinking, that there is an element of latent societal guilt and snobbery involved in this mindset... I think many people look at their own drug taking habits, and perhaps want to feel less stigmatized and don't want to be associated with the more nefarious characters along the drug chain... you probably come from a nice family and wear a suit to work, so you don't like the inference that you are connected (in any way) to underworld criminals and drug addicts on the street.

It's all just degrees of separation... the stink doesn't come out in the wash, no matter how much you try. You could be snorting your cocaine off a solid gold toilet seat in foxrock, rather than some germ infested piss pot in a knocking shop in the city centre.... you're still part of the chain, and part of the problem! ;)

Comparing weapons, which are designed to inflict physical pain on other people, with drugs which are designed to inflict pleasure and enjoyment on the user. Ridiculous. Please try to think of better comparisons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
      Legalize it and remove the criminality from the trade for the most part

Are we going to start manufacturing cocaine in Ireland?

Slaughter in Mexico goes with cocaine in Ireland,

you can't have one without the other.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Steyr 556 wrote: »
      For people who advocate legalisation and decriminalisation, how will that work in a country like Ireland that can’t produce drugs like Cocaine?

Cocaine has to be imported from South America (Southeast Asia??), I don’t think there are any states in those areas where it can be grown that make it legal to do so and thus legal to export to here.

So, considering the immense difficulties in acquiring Cocaine, it would have to be produced here, as a synthetic compound, who will do this, a pharmaceutical company?

I doubt there will be many big pharma companies who want to get involved with the production of a drug that is illegal across much of the western world. And then throw in the possibility of that company being sued (much the same way tobacco companies were and are sued) by users who have suffered health effects, addiction, who have been victims of users under the effects of the drug etc.

Mixing coke and drink produces cocaethylene in your system which has serious health implications. In a country where binge drinking is prevalent and having a line on a night out is becoming the norm, that’s the type of thing that even Monsanto would want to avoid being caught up in legally.

Legalisation then starts to look only suitable to drugs that can be grown in country (weed, magic mushrooms) and are safe - well aware that when I say that, people drive stoned and crash, people with underlying mental health conditions try to jump out of windows on magic mushrooms - but at least from a biological standpoint combinations of those drugs don’t produce toxins in the body like cocaethylene.

Decriminalisation leaves the supply chain in place. The drugs still come in, the gangs increase business. It would be inevitable that the drug gangs would profit enormously from such a situation. Even if the average individual is just consuming their own small amount, it has to be obtained from someone.

How do you feel about this opinion?

Gotta love when people take the time needed to make such long winded posts but don't take the time to actually consider solutions to the concerns you raise, which are easily thought of with a bit of outside the box thinking.

Coca leaves can be legally and ethically bought from certain countries and the processing could be done domestically. Sure, most pharmaceutical companies wouldn't wish to get involved due to the current stigma however things change quickly when legalisation is on the table. Sadly many people equate legality with morality, and companies/corporations fall in line with this thinking. There would absolutely be someone willing to produce the drug here. If the Netherlands can produce €18bn worth of drugs to a very high standard while under prohibition then I'm fairly confident that someone could step up to the plate here, whether they're a native company or not. It's simply a matter of having appropriate regulations in place which are adhered to (not THIS is where I would actually grow concerned, but maybe the resulting governmental body could be a miracle and actually function as intended and efficiently for once).

As for consumers suing the producer; make drugs only available in legally regulated dispensaries where consumers are registered and made sign whatever legal contracts are necessary to avoid that bull****. On this point, I'd be more worried about Ireland becoming a big drug tourist spot, similar to Amsterdam/Netherlands has experienced. But again, solutions to this could be found. Maybe make drugs only available to current citizens and residents and have very harsh punishments for anyone found distributing drugs to people who aren't legitimately allowed to purchase for themselves; people <21, tourists, criminals etc. In these dispensaries also you could have a great impact on awareness of drug use, the people working there could inform customers before each purchase and limit how much they can buy at one time. With coke, for example, apparently after 1.5g you no longer release dopamine but a different chemical which causes increased levels of paranoia and anxiety. How many people who use coke would be aware of this? Very few I'd say because very few bother to do the research. But in a dispensary they could be advised of all of these kinds of things. Same goes with purchases of MDMA. The people working there could ask each customer what event/occasion they're buying the drugs for and try to advise them about how much/little to buy. You'd NEVER have an illegal dealer do this. Similar can be done for basically all drugs. Harm reduction in these facilities should be the priority

What people need to realise is that not only would we have a large boost in revenue simply from the sales but we'd have a huge lightening on the various resources currently used for the war on drugs. The Gards especially is one area I'd love to see benefit from this. With them not having to bother people over having a bit of drugs on them they could be put to use to add more police presence around the centres and more units created to tackle antisocial behaviour in areas where it's necessary. Prison room could be freed up to allow for harsher sentencing of people who actually deserve it: violent criminals, paedophiles, multiple conviction reoffenders etc

2. Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Strumms wrote: »
      You might make it a safer product and go a ways to obliterating the criminality associated with it but it will never be a SAFE product. By making it easily accessible you normalize it and will have more people using... more people using while driving, more people using it when they are working, more people addicted and ALLL the issues that brings, destruction of relationships, romantic and family, socially, health...it’s filth... the second most addictive drug out there after heroin...forget it, keep it illegal.

All the aforementioned problems too...who fûcking pays the bills, hospitals, treatment, Gardai etc... fûck em, keep it illegal, it’s a selfish twats drug.

Way to discredit yourself in one sentence, there are multiple drugs more addictive than it

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

I highly doubt kerosene is used is the paracetamol I use :p
      It's also not made in a field in the arse end of no where.
      It also doesn't get cut down various times and loading up with some other crap.

Am not saying oh look paracetamol is completely fine. But we're talking about two totally different ways of creating drugs :p

You realise you're making arguments for legalisation here, right? Legal and regulated = quality control and those issues you're raising are avoided...

4. Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Arrival wrote: »
      Way to discredit yourself in one sentence, there are multiple drugs more addictive than it

It’s not, there are if you do some research on the ranking of addiction and drugs several bodies that concur, some rank it 3 others as low as 5...

https://www.rehabspot.com/drugs/10-most-addictive-substances-earth/

So discredit away...

5. Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

imme wrote: »

In fairness, Mexico can't really grow it either.

1. Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

The NIDA disagree, as do other experts such as Rehab Spot and the National Addiction Center, to name just three...

so we'll just ignore the lancet journals stats?

2. Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Prof David Nutt says mephedrone is safer than coke, maybe it could be made legal.

no, best thing to do is fire the man

3. Advertisement
      4. Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Safer what way?

I've done quite a bit of both over the years and personally speaking i'd say mephedrone is a lot more addictive, i always found it very hard not to binge on it - quite possibly due to the fact that the high is so bloody nice!

Could just be down to purity though, "good" cocaine is probably in the region of 30% pure. Legal meph was 99% !

5. Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Safer what way?

I've done quite a bit of both over the years and personally speaking i'd say mephedrone is a lot more addictive, i always found it very hard not to binge on it - quite possibly due to the fact that the high is so bloody nice!

Could just be down to purity though, "good" cocaine is probably in the region of 30% pure. Legal meph was 99% !

Mephedrone is a far better high yeah, it seemed to be everywhere a good 6 or 7 years ago what happened? Haven't seen it in a long time.

6. Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It was some good shít alright. It was legal for a few years around that time, used to get it pure off the internet for i think it was €80 or something like that for 10 grams, could keep 3 or 4 people going for a whole weekend! Then some do good fúcker or other start clutching their pearls and fearing for the children and it was banned.....back to the crime gangs it was so :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They don't call them the good old days for nothing:D

7. Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It’s not, there are if you do some research on the ranking of addiction and drugs several bodies that concur, some rank it 3 others as low as 5...

https://www.rehabspot.com/drugs/10-most-addictive-substances-earth/

So discredit away...

Part of the issue with that study is that measures intesnity of pleasure, and that's got nothing to do with addiction levels. A good cup of tea is immensely pleasureable but not addcitive.

It's also difficult to check the source because you need to reigster. A different article that claims to quote the same source has different results, linking cocaine and alcohol side by side.
        https://www.addictioncampuses.com/blog/10-most-addictive-drugs/

Fruthermore, its also down to personality. Someone can be addicte to one substance and not the other.

8. Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I highly doubt kerosene is used is the paracetamol I use :p

Eurm......

Petroleum ether is used in the synthesis of paracetamol, like kerosene it is also a petroleum product that comes from crude oil.

As I said before, in most drug productions a really nasty solvent is used.
        But solvents are very volatile and the excess evaporates.
        Kerosene wouldn't be the best choice of solvent but not because of health concerns, it just isn't as effective as others.
        However buying large quantities of many of the solvents will flag that you are up to no good.

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Part of the issue with that study is that measures intesnity of pleasure, and that's got nothing to do with addiction levels. A good cup of tea is immensely pleasureable but not addcitive.

I think danger of withdrawal should be considered also.
        Alcohol and benzodiazepines can kill a person during withdraw, that's something that's rare and the two drugs that have that problem are legal(one needs a prescription)

The legality of benzodiazepines does give the option for a doctor to prescribe a sensible taper program, something that can't leaglly be done with most drugs.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Rugger buggers including a pharmacist, a former Fexco employee and an IT recruitment consultant, sentenced for cocaine possession. Also a fella from posh Booterstown who of course had the usual 'difficult childhood'.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/they-are-contributing-to-profits-of-dangerous-men-judge-makes-raft-of-cocaine-convictions-from-kinsale-sevens-976862.html

11. Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

You’d think it wouldn’t be as popular considering the chance of it being up someone’s arse and shat out is quite high :rolleyes:

12. Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

imme wrote: »

The UK is one of the biggest producers of legal cocaine.

No one is getting killed in the legal market for cocaine.

https://www.businessinsider.com/britain-is-the-worlds-biggest-exporter-of-legal-cocaine-and-heroin-2018-4?r=US&IR=T

13. Advertisement
      14. Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Big Gerry wrote: »
        The UK is one of the biggest producers of legal cocaine.

No one is getting killed in the legal market for cocaine.

https://www.businessinsider.com/britain-is-the-worlds-biggest-exporter-of-legal-cocaine-and-heroin-2018-4?r=US&IR=T

Yup heroins medical name is diamorphine and is given to some people with terminal cancer. Also produced without issue.

Advertisement