Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerrone Sat Jan 18th (See first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't think his father has anything to do with his wealth acquisition!

His father has everything to do with it. He didn't come from nothing.

Agree with the above statement, good enough for the twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Excellent performance from McGregor, blew him away. Looked really fast and sharp. Said all the right things after the fight and looks back in a much better frame of mind.

Of course, the relatively lower volume of posting says it all. For many of us he is now impossible to root for given what we've heard. How true it all is or rather to what extent it may be accounted for criminally doesn't really matter: he is changed in many eyes irreversibly.

Nonetheless this was exactly what he needed: a dominant performance against a decent opponent following a note perfect camp and cycle of media handling. We'll see how long he keeps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His father has everything to do with it. He didn't come from nothing.

Agree with the above statement, good enough for the twat.

No fan of his social media but he has certainly taken his trust fund places over the years! But anyway, beside the point for this thread. No sympathy for him dropping a ton of cash either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good performance from McGregor. Obviously we all know Cowboy is past his best but I didn't expect a one-sided beatdown like that. Those shoulders were just incredible - completely busted him up from those very unorthodox strikes. And to take him out with a head kick of all things. Yeah, gotta respect that McGregor performance. Wish we'd seen a longer scrap though so we could get a better idea of what/how he's changed or what his cardio is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He’s best avoiding Khabib for now alright. It would be ideal for him if Tony beat Khabib. Not that I think that will happen.

I think Tony is a bad match up for Conor. He's like a much better Nate Diaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

People are reading too much into the low volume of posting. Personally I normally post of fight nights/weeks but curtailed it this time around cos I can't cope with the trolling etc here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

People are reading too much into the low volume of posting. Personally I normally post of fight nights/weeks but curtailed it this time around cos I can't cope with the trolling etc here.

Same here. I was reading through the forum inbetween fights but wasn't posting. There weren't as many trolls so expected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think Tony is a bad match up for Conor. He's like a much better Nate Diaz

Conor 'bad match up' McGregor!

Will he ever be anyone else's bad match up? I mean ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

McGregor via Submission
    That makes no sense, this product isn't worth 30 but pay the 30 because you get other products for the price of your subscription that are overall of superior quality.........which you will get whether you give them the 30 for this or not.... Just watch it illegally, it isn't a ppv quality card and no way in hell will I be paying for it anyway.

Best 30quid I have spent in a while. Looking forward to watching the rest of my pre-paid fights throughout the year.

sonofenoch wrote: »

Conor is a bad match up for anyone that doesn’t have an iron chin or insane ground skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A lot of people noting there being less interest in this fight than previous McGregor ones.
    But he was smashed in his last fight and comprehensively beaten, plus this wasn't a title fight.

This win will have done his standing well, another victory over a decent opponent, and then once a big match up is made (Khabib 2, Ferguson, Masvidal) and there'll be a massive fuss all about McGregor again.

You can't lose a big fight and not expect your standing to drop at least a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Conor_McGregor_vs_Donald_Cerrone_Full_Fight_UFC_246_Part_3/10339206

Was shocking to watch how quick he finished him live, but the range of strikes and skills demonstrated in that quick flurry were truly remarkable. A brilliant performance and better to watch the second, third and subsequent times.

Exciting to have another bout on the near horizon. Dana was very hot for Nurmagedomov McGregor II, talking about it in terms of Ali Fraser, Ali Foreman and Hagler Hearns. Literally rubbing his hands in excitement for all the millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://streamable.com/xw57j

Gave me a good giggle. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The checked headkick then returning his own headkick said it all - gulf in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I hope he gets a quick turnaround. Gaethje in March is the one to make I reckon. I think Gaethje is a handy one for Conor.

Let him choose between the winners of Khabib v Ferguson or Usman v Masvidal for a fight around September/October.

The more I watch that fight back, the worse I feel for Cerrone. Sure he got his big payday, but he got absolutely blitzed in the process.

That's 3 hard losses for Cowboy recently, I hope he takes a bit of a break now and gives himself a chance to recover somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can someone give me the odds for a McGregor TKO in the first round right before the fight and say a week ago please? Sorry for being lazy but I'm useless at looking up odds...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

He has a decent chance against Justin, Masvidal or Tony. All bangers who can be wobbled. I really couldn't see him going up favorably against Usman or Khabib again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The more I watch that fight back, the worse I feel for Cerrone. Sure he got his big payday, but he got absolutely blitzed in the process.

That's 3 hard losses for Cowboy recently, I hope he takes a bit of a break now and gives himself a chance to recover somewhat.

Bowing out might be the wisest move. Where do you go from here? Joe Rogan almost seemed to imply he thought it was over in his comments after the fight: 'thanks for everything' etc.

He's had a good career and just earned a (presumably) nice payout. He has his family and health to consider. He was completely blown away today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Paddy Power has 1/10 masdival is next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cowboy got $200k, Conor got $3m. I am not sure it was much of a payday for Cowboy.
    Conor McGregor: $3 million flat (no win bonus)

Donald Cerrone: $200,000 to show, $200,000 to win

Holly Holm: $150,000 to show, $50,000 to win

Raquel Pennington: $63,000 to show, $63,000 to win

Aleskei Oleinik: $75,000 to show, $75,000 to win

Maurice Greene: $30,000 to show, $30,000 to win

Anthony Pettis: $155,000 to show, $155,000 to win

Carlos Diego Ferreira: $50,000 to show, $50,000 to win.

Roxanne Modafferi: $31,000 to show, $31,000 to win

Maycee Barber: $29,000 to show, $29,000 to win

Andre Fili: $55,000 to show, $55,000 to win

Sodiq Yusuff: $27,000 to show, $27,000 to win

Tim Elliott: $31,000 to show, $31,000 to win

Askar Askarov: $10,000 to show, $10,000 to win

Drew Dober: $55,000 to show, $55,000 to win

Nasrat Haqparast: $25,000 to show, $25,000 to win

Aleksa Camur: $10,000 to show, $10,000 to win

Justin Ledet: $20,000 to show, $20,000 to win

Brian Kelleher: $23,000 to show, $23,000 to win

Ode Osbourne: $10,000 to show, $10,000 to win

Sabina Mazo: $12,000 to show, $12,000 to win

JJ Aldrich: $30,000 to show, $30,000 to win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Inquitus wrote: »
    Cowboy got $200k, Conor got $3m. I am not sure it was much of a payday for Cowboy.

I can imagine it's probably his first time getting a ppv cut so he will make a good bit more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

McGregor via Submission

The real money is in the pay per view points that he'll be getting
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    I hope he gets a quick turnaround. Gaethje in March is the one to make I reckon. I think Gaethje is a handy one for Conor.

Let him choose between the winners of Khabib v Ferguson or Usman v Masvidal for a fight around September/October.

I'd love to see him fight Gaethje next as well. I wonder though does he have his eye on the April card and basically waiting for Khabib or Ferguson to (inevitably) get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Really want to see him fight Masvidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

sonofenoch wrote: »

You couldn't turn left nor right here, on podcasts, on YouTube etc without someone telling you that he was the worst possible matchup for Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Full replay with slo-mo shots.

https://twitter.com/Theresthat_/status/1218776429149720576?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

dave1982 wrote: »
    Paddy Power has 1/10 masdival is next

Strangely, they also seem to have already penciled in the event for Tue, 31 Mar at 20:00.
    It makes sense to me as the fans want to see it and although Masvidal has improved hugely, it is still a fight that McGregor can win.

Current odds suggest Masvidal is 60% favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Still Ill

McGregor via Submission
    dubrov wrote: »
    Strangely, they also seem to have already penciled in the event for Tue, 31 Mar at 20:00.
    It makes sense to me as the fans want to see it and although Masvidal has improved hugely, it is still a fight that McGregor can win.

Current odds suggest Masvidal is 60% favourite

I think bookies always do that with McGregor. Boyles had a few fights priced up for him before that never happened. Wouldn't take any notice.

I was talking about PPV points. Those will put Cowboy's earnings into millions ($3-5m reported estimates) for this 'fight'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Whelo79 wrote: »

100% agree here, it has to be Gaethje next imo.

then the winner gets the title shot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement