Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rusty cole wrote: »
    the defence from DCC was that they didn't pay the money directly, HOWEVER they were paying for fences that never existed and also introducing builders to criminals!!

SF controlled council...

VinLieger wrote: »
    Immigration helps but the only real solution was to stop making having children so expensive 15 years ago which would have stopped our birthrate dropping as low as it currently has.

Our birth rate was inevitably going to drop to European norms anyway - but childcare has been ridiculously expensive for a long time and something should have been done. It's not the childcare workers who are pocketing the money.

Lowering the retirement age is incredibly irresponsible, and too be honest maliciously ignorant of any politician to suggest

It translates as literally "I will say anything, no matter how ridiculous or irresponsible, if I think there is a vote in it."

Which parties have said this?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

VinLieger wrote: »
    Jesua christ ive heard several parties floating ideas to actually lower the retirement age, weve got an aging population for fvck sake, thats is living longer and longer, the retirement age needs to increase if we want the country to function in any meaningful way

In that case, something needs to be done about the differential between the mandatory retirement age in most jobs and the age the state pension is given out at.

We can raise the retirement age all we want but what do these people in this scenario live on in the mean time?

The trouble is that part of the solution will be unpalatable to many.

One of the real ways of tackling crime would be for large swathes of the public to stop shoving cocaine up their noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The case of the RTE producer that was before the WRC, last week has found the retirement age discriminatory. No one now can force you to retire on age grounds, is the logical conclusion. Retirement will become a much more flexible issue.

Water John wrote: »
    The case of the RTE producer that was before the WRC, last week has found the retirement age discriminatory. No one now can force you to retire on age grounds, is the logical conclusion. Retirement will become a much more flexible issue.

Yeah, but it manual jobs it won't be flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

DrumSteve wrote: »
    In that case, something needs to be done about the differential between the mandatory retirement age in most jobs and the age the state pension is given out at.

We can raise the retirement age all we want but what do these people in this scenario live on in the mean time?

We make them sign on the Dole with the tacit acknowledgement that they are unlikely to ever get another job.
    And after 9 months of JSB they have to be means tested to see if they qualify for JSA - which they very well may not and if not they get nothing until eventually they finally qualify for the Pension. Which could be years down the line.
    Yet another 'Irish solution' imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Water John wrote: »
    The WRC found that enforcing the retirement age in that case was discriminatory because the complainant could show that it wasn't enforced in other comparable cases.
    I wouldn't be putting any wider relevance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

DrumSteve wrote: »

The state pension is a much larger problem which the retirement age cannot really fix due to our declining birth rate making it completely unfundable in the long term, as i said before our worker to retiree ratio is currently 5:1 but by 2040 is projected to be 3:1, so in the next 20 years the state pension will have to be done away with completely or massively overhauled into something else entirely.
    Our birth rate was inevitably going to drop to European norms anyway - but childcare has been ridiculously expensive for a long time and something should have been done. It's not the childcare workers who are pocketing the money.

Indeed a large part of the problem is the overheads they have to deal with like insurance and that i believe 5 different state agencies and departments have their hands involved in some way or another of regulating them and they are constantly jockeying for position to be the most important.
    It translates as literally "I will say anything, no matter how ridiculous or irresponsible, if I think there is a vote in it."

Which parties have said this?

I just overheard it on Newstalk yesterday morning, cant find any official announcements, FG was one of them and either FF or Labour the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Maureen O'Sullivan retiring, which, along with the extra seat, should bring the Soc Dems up to three through Gary Gannon:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-central-4968031-Jan2020/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maureen O'Sullivan retiring, which, along with the extra seat, should bring the Soc Dems up to three through Gary Gannon:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-central-4968031-Jan2020/

Not guaranteed, the Kisyombe thing lost him a lot of support (not justifiably in my opinion) and the Greens will be snapping at the same voters for the remainder. Any two of Gannon, Fitzpatrick, Costello and Hourigan for the last pair. Unless MLMD has her worst nightmare of a performance of course!

If he gets in they would need to look at passing the leadership entirely to him, give up the "multiple leaders" charade and try turn the party image away from just being a Murphy/Shortall electoral vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all and apologies in advance if this is either the wrong place to ask or Ive missed it being asked.

So basically I'm at a loss as to who to vote for in the upcoming election. Where can I read up on the mandates of each party/what their key aims/goals are for the years ahead?

I swore i'd never vote FF again after Bertie but seeing "build the bypass" dotted around Galway, I have to say if this is a major point for them, then its turning my head as its a huge issue for Galway.

I want to read up on what parties are proposing some I properly educated before I give my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey all and apologies in advance if this is either the wrong place to ask or Ive missed it being asked.

So basically I'm at a loss as to who to vote for in the upcoming election. Where can I read up on the mandates of each party/what their key aims/goals are for the years ahead?

I swore i'd never vote FF again after Bertie but seeing "build the bypass" dotted around Galway, I have to say if this is a major point for them, then its turning my head as its a huge issue for Galway.

I want to read up on what parties are proposing some I properly educated before I give my vote.

The bypass of Galway needs to be a tunnel under the corrib
    So what if the price is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Let's see if Mary Lou throws the SF councillor out of the party after his racist and homophobic comments about Leo.

All these comments do is give sympathy to Leo.

Terrible day for Sinn Fein.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Let's see if Mary Lou throws the SF councillor out of the party after his racist and homophobic comments about Leo.

All these comments do is give sympathy to Leo.

Terrible day for Sinn Fein.

She has 'accepted' his non-apology and I think the news cycle will roll over by tomorrow

L1011 wrote: »
    She has 'accepted' his non-apology and I think the news cycle will roll over by tomorrow

He's blown any chances he had of ever standing for the Dail .

He's blown any chances he had of ever standing for the Dail .

Well, for SF. Although I don't see that getting much votes for an Independent in that constituency either. One of the highest SSM referendum Yes votes wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

joe123 wrote: »

Check on the various party websites over the next week or so. You should see plans/manifestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, too much happening everywhere each day. Easy time for media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

TBF, so has Varadkar:

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1217868009076817922

Fair enough but its not in his interest to continue scrapping with a Councillor that isn't even running for the GE either. A little damage is done to SF from this and I suspect he's OK with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A waste of a day substance wise.

Anyone got a full list of incumbents not standing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/unakavanagh/status/1217868594165489664

Here is what he said, gives you a better idea for context.

As a poster under that tweet points out, Paddy doesn't like to mention Leo's mother in this, who is from Waterford.

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/unakavanagh/status/1217868594165489664

Here is what he said, gives you a better idea for context.

As a poster under that tweet points out, Paddy doesn't like to mention Leo's mother in this, who is from Waterford.

Not only is he a racist, he's bloody stupid as well.

This kind of thing hurts Sinn Fein with the middle classes.

Not only is he a racist, he's bloody stupid as well.

This kind of thing hurts Sinn Fein with the middle classes.

I really detest that kind of waffle about passion and ancestry that idiots like this spout. "My great grandfather..." blah blah blah, he probably doesn't know his name for gods sake.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A waste of a day substance wise.

Anyone got a full list of incumbents not standing again?

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2018/08/10/tds-32nd-dail-eireann-who-will-not-be-contesting-the-next-general-election/ is updated to today. Should point out I've never even met Adrian let alone have any other connection considering how often I've linked his site the last few days! Its not vandalisable like Wikipedia is.

Still time for people to drop out and I'd imagine one or two will.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I really detest that kind of waffle about passion and ancestry that idiots like this spout. "My great grandfather..." blah blah blah, he probably doesn't know his name for gods sake.

Yes and he seems to stop at great grand father. For some reason he brought him into it but no one else.

Yes and he seems to stop at great grand father. For some reason he brought him into it but no one else.

His great grandmother might not be Irish...imagine that!

My extremely Anglo-origins Great Grandfather was a judge in the IRA Courts during the War of Independence and his clearly same background father was quite important in the Land League in Tipperary. But I suspect they'd fail Holohan's requirements then!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Damien English on TV3VM3T+1-2MT3 there. I'm not sure how we've kept a state together for 100 years when we entrust junior ministerial roles to people who say "pacific" for 'specific'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My extremely Anglo-origins Great Grandfather was a judge in the IRA Courts during the War of Independence and his clearly same background father was quite important in the Land League in Tipperary. But I suspect they'd fail Holohan's requirements then!

In fairness, we have these idiots spouting this nonesense all the time.
    They are the same people who go on about 'foreign' games like rugby, game played by Spanish-American born, Republican hero Dev.
    The pejorative 'West Brit' stems from all this uber nationalism that does exist in this country. Just because we do not have a big far right party does not mean we are immune to this primative type of thinking.

Advertisement