Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Since we count the following day, Saturday suits us better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

L1011 wrote: »
    As soon as he got the Junior Ministerial seal he wasn't getting re-elected.
    There's a good chance that Aodhan o'Riordain picks up that seat.

That would upset a lot of people around this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Eventually we'll progress to having elections on Sundays like on the continent.

Saturday is a sabbath too for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That's not what I was told.

What you were told. So you are going by second hand information then. Hmmm.......

Water John wrote: »
    Since we count the following day, Saturday suits us better.

Will the people doing the counting at the count centres get extra money for doing it all day on a Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phoebas wrote: »
    There's a good chance that Aodhan o'Riordain picks up that seat.

That would upset a lot of people around this site.

There was a good chance he was going to get it anyway! Finian was toast. Also, Broughan and McGrath were only pulled ahead of O'Riordain on the last count by John Lyons transfers - and he won't have anywhere near that number to give this time.

Is Broughan actually running anyway? 72 and has been rudderless political since he left I4C; not that I4C is really anything since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Will the people doing the counting at the count centres get extra money for doing it all day on a Sunday?

Yes, double pay for a Sunday is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Golfer999999

Question about the election

What happens to the lists of voters the polling station uses when you go to vote. The one they cross your name off when giving you the ballot papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

L1011 wrote: »
    There was a good chance he was going to get it anyway! Finian was toast. Also, Broughan and McGrath were only pulled ahead of O'Riordain on the last count by John Lyons transfers - and he won't have anywhere near that number to give this time.

Is Broughan actually running anyway? 72 and has been rudderless political since he left I4C; not that I4C is really anything since May.
    As of the time of this post yeah,he's still hanging around and running.

AFAIK the candidates are entitled to a copy as to who voted. The story of some family I know, who had promised two different parties, their No 1 for help with a problem. However they did not vote and had peeved off two politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Question about the election

What happens to the lists of voters the polling station uses when you go to vote. The one they cross your name off when giving you the ballot papers?

Retained by the Council. I've seen something I assumed was them binned before (in 1999!) but was assured on here that they were probably a personation agent from one the parties own list.

I haven't seen a personation agent in the entire time I've been voting, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Will Leo resign as FG leader if FG don't get back into office?

Hopefully!!

I don't think his ego could stomach going from Taoiseach and hob-nobbing with Angela Merkel and Boris Johnson to being leader of the opposition and losing all the power and glamour.

IWS personating agents dropped away in the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Apologies if this has already been asked - im playing catch up i only just found out there is an election

So if the election is Saturday the 8th February 2020 - does that mean the count will take place on Sunday 9th? Or will it be monday?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked - im playing catch up i only just found out there is an election

So if the election is Saturday the 8th February 2020 - does that mean the count will take place on Sunday 9th? Or will it be monday?

Count will start on Sunday. Its rarely wrapped up everywhere in a day though

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

liamtech wrote: »

If would start Sunday. Usually when it was held on a Friday, the count occurred over Saturday and Sunday with the odd constituency hitting Monday/ Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

im just thinking in terms of complaints - sunday - church day etc - i cannot remember a Saturday election prior to this one

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Golfer999999

Water John wrote: »
    AFAIK the candidates are entitled to a copy as to who voted. The story of some family I know, who had promised two different parties, their No 1 for help with a problem. However they did not vote and had peeved off two politicians.

Blimey - i thought voting was private

nothing about that on https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/voting_procedure_in_a_general_election.html

It doesn't specify who you voted for. Or that your vote was even valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not many young people using boards anymore, but one thing that has been noted is if you registered to vote for the first time recently, then you won't be "officially" registered to vote until 15th February - i.e. after polling day.

Some councils have suggested that they will ignore this and use the 2020 register for this election, but if you know anyone who has registered for the first time or moved house in the last 8 months, to be sure they should get themselves on the supplementary register before next Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

nextime097 wrote: »
    How come in British elections you have the count starting after the polls close and most results by morning but not here?

It's far easier to count first past the post votes in single seat constituencies than PR votes in multi-seat constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Not alone is the list of who voted available but its commercially for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not alone is the list of who voted available but its commercially for sale
    That's not correct. You appear to be getting confused with the edited register.

The registers used to confirm who voted aren't even available to go in and view IIRC. They can only be examined on court order.

Will Leo resign as FG leader if FG don't get back into office?

Seeing as how most pundits are predicting that FF will be in government after the election will Micheal Martin resign as FF leader if he is not Taoiseach after 8th Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Saturday is a sabbath too for some.

So?

Religion should have ZERO bearing on when an election should be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Seeing as how most pundits are predicting that FF will be in government after the election will Micheal Martin resign as FF leader if he is not Taoiseach after 8th Feb?

Without a doubt Martin will have to go if FF don't go into government after this election.

Leo's future is a little more uncertain given that he's much younger and only in the job 2 and a half years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So?

Exactly
    I'd actually have it at the weekend just to annoy some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

This is an excellent political profiler quiz - as well as having tons of questions on each topic, it gives you a position on various axes, such as libertarian v authoritarian, multiculturalist v assimilationist, Keynesian v lassez-faire, and of course, your party score:

https://ireland.isidewith.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This is an excellent political profiler quiz - as well as having tons of questions on each topic, it gives you a position on various axes, such as libertarian v authoritarian, multiculturalist v assimilationist, Keynesian v lassez-faire, and of course, your party score:

https://ireland.isidewith.com

My top 2 based on that are
    83% SF
    80% FF

Not a hope of either of them getting a first preference from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

So?

Never said it should, I was quoting to another poster, I couldn't give two fcuks what day it is or even if its an all nighter.

Advertisement