Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Gone to the Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They only need a gender balance if the current moderators are what you’re accusing them of being.

I've not accused them of anything.

Nor has anyone else from what I can read.

People feel the forum could be improved with an improved gender balance. I believe that too.

Surely there are enough mods of the forum and when the time comes to pick another one it should be based on who is a good fit rather than gender? Of course there are enough women posters about the place that that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for the misogyny? I would need to go looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

anewme wrote: »
    Ok. Go to the thread about the woman who fell over the jostle stone.

Every second post needs to be deleted.

I have no time for people who push false claims.

However, the comments on this thread are low brow filth. Between saying people living in Dublin 1 are lowlife, her family are scummy, poking fun at people who just have liked a photo, saying she has an STI.

I note there is no such vitriol - the solicitor(s) who constantly take on these makey up cases. Probably because hes Male and i d reckon doesn't live in Dublin 1.

Edited: I see it's been cleaned up pretty promptly, thanks.

May I ask when you first reported the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

anewme wrote: »
    Ok. Go to the thread about the woman who fell over the jostle stone.

Every second post needs to be deleted.

I have no time for people who push false claims.

However, the comments on this thread are low brow filth. Between saying people living in Dublin 1 are lowlife, her family are scummy, poking fun at people who just have liked a photo, saying she has an STI.

I note there is no such vitriol - the solicitor(s) who constantly take on these makey up cases. Probably because hes Male and i d reckon doesn't live in Dublin 1.

Edited: I see it's been cleaned up pretty promptly, thanks.

AH improved markedly for a period after CA was opened up. It was less of a hostile and reactionary place, but it seems to have degenerated again recently. I'm amazed by the sheer amount knuckle dragging moronic comments I read in there on a daily basis.

The thread you mention is a good example. Sure, I can understand people not being the biggest fan of the woman in question, but people go way overboard and it's like that with loads of threads now - often crossing over into blatant racism in many instances. You can seemingly say just about anything about travellers and there isn't an eye blinked.

I don't know how people can deny that there's a problem with misogyny in AH and further afield. There absolutely is. Now, okay, misogyny is just one of the many flavours of bile usually on display, but that doesn't mean that people who complain about it don't have a point.

I use Boards a lot daily, but lately I do find myself questioning if it's worth bothering with anymore. So much of what is posted here is worthless drivel. The place just feels increasingly negative and the standard of debate sure isn't getting any higher. Personally, I wonder if it's actually beneficial mentally to read the likes of AH on a regular basis.

Even reading the back and forth here is headache inducing

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    May I ask when you first reported the thread?

Today when I read it.

• Advertisement

I had a quick look at the 'jostle stone' thread. Taking shots at the woman's appearance and rating her out of 10. It's all very teenager and horrible.

It was locked up and I assume some posts were deleted. What else is to be done? Handing out bans? A sticky telling everyone to be nice?

I had a quick look at the 'jostle stone' thread. Taking shots at the woman's appearance and rating her out of 10. It's all very teenager and horrible.

It was locked up and I assume some posts were deleted. What else is to be done? Handing out bans? A sticky telling everyone to be nice?

I updated my post to say it was actioned promptly, once reported, as you can see.

There is a big difference between being nice and saying people from Dublin 1 are lowlife and dishonest, that the womans family( who have done nothing) are scumbags, that single mothers are scam artists, publishing the womans photos and details of her friends ( who have done nothing btw), saying the woman has an STI, saying you can see her labia and that's just the start of it.

What you are reading now is a 90 percent watered down basis.

People posting hate should be banned, why shouldn't they?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Admin: this is starting to look like tit-for-tat bickering rather than feedback, leaving aside the fact that this forum is not supposed to be for forum-specific issues for a moment.

Please bring things back on to feedback or this thread will no longer be fit for purpose for this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

By saying the problem stems from 12 male moderators is just a thinly veiled way of saying all men are misogynists. At best you’re just slandering 12 people. Absolute tripe.
    Crikey that's some leap.

Surely it's obvious that all they mean is: a female moderator would see misogyny more easily. Nobody said the male moderators did anything misogynistic, because they obviously didn't. The problem doesn't stem from the moderators either - who said that? It stems from whomever is posting it. And it's being addressed.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Crikey that's some leap.

Surely it's obvious that all they mean is: a female moderator would see misogyny more easily. Nobody said the male moderators did anything misogynistic, because they obviously didn't. The problem doesn't stem from the moderators either - who said that? It stems from whomever is posting it. And it's being addressed.

A woman would see it easier? What?

• Advertisement

A woman would see it easier? What?
    That's what they said. Well yeah in general people naturally notice things more if it's aimed at the group they're part of. What's so shocking about saying that?

As a starting point, the issue of zero female representation on the team overseeing the largest forum on Boards should be addressed, IMO.

This is one of the original posts (by a man) who can see a problem with no female representation. It makes perfect sense. Another poster said they raised the issue previously and it has fallen on deaf ears.

I'm surprised that people would not see this as a positive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That's what they said. Well yeah in general people naturally notice things more if it's aimed at the group they're part of. What's so shocking about saying that?

Probably explains why you can’t see your own misandry.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Probably explains why you can’t see your own misandry.
    Good Lord, my misandry? Where on earth have I said anything man hating? :confused:

If it's the thing I said above (because I can't think of anything else) you cannot be serious. "At very least, female posters will have reasonable justification in believing that their complaints about misogyny are falling on deaf ears" - this is what a man, Permabear, said.

I and others see misogyny - some guys don't. Flat out deny it. Surely it's fair to say that this is likely because they're men so it doesn't register with them because it doesn't affect them as they're not women? There is absolutely nothing negative intended by that.

I don't mind either way whether there are female mods appointed or not btw.

If I was told I'm not seeing misandry because it doesn't affect me, no way would I think that's misogyny. If I've genuinely come across as sexist towards men (and I emphasise "genuinely" because I really doubt it) my apologies - it absolutely wasn't my intent as I certainly do not think badly of the male sex, only some individuals - male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I find it very telling that the only place in life where I ever hear or read the word "misandry" is on Boards, where it's bandied about fairly liberally.

Misogyny does exist in After Hours. It exists all over the world. I don't have a solution to it. Within society we can strive to raise.our children to treat women with decency and respect, we can ensure there is awareness around what constitutes misogyny.

AH by its nature is more open to certain posters than say Animals and Pets. There is more space for unsavoury opinions. A zero tolerance approach may be needed but the trouble with that can be mods being big footed and lacking good judgement.

If I may use a recent infraction as an example. A poster received a yellow card for a comment about Brad Pitts partners all being ugly. Baffling move by the mods I thought. Is that an example of misogyny though? And if it is will I get a card if I post that I think Robbie Williams wife looks like a man?

Where is the line. One person's horrible opinion will be another person's misogynist.

Arghus wrote: »
    I find it very telling that the only place in life where I ever hear or read the word "misandry" is on Boards, where it's bandied about fairly liberally.
    There is no question that it exists though.

Misogyny does exist in After Hours. It exists all over the world. I don't have a solution to it. Within society we can strive to raise.our children to treat women with decency and respect, we can ensure there is awareness around what constitutes misogyny.

AH by its nature is more open to certain posters than say Animals and Pets. There is more space for unsavoury opinions. A zero tolerance approach may be needed but the trouble with that can be mods being big footed and lacking good judgement.

If I may use a recent infraction as an example. A poster received a yellow card for a comment about Brad Pitts partners all being ugly. Baffling move by the mods I thought. Is that an example of misogyny though? And if it is will I get a card if I post that I think Robbie Williams wife looks like a man?

Where is the line. One person's horrible opinion will be another person's misogynist.

If you post that Robbie William's wife has an STI, is that misogyny?

And what about all the crap ...Why do women ( insert random insult) ......? threads.

Example from August 2019

Are you afraid of a real woman? OPENING POST

You know the way overweight women are beginning to say things like this these days? Am I too real for you?

Jimmy Carr had a good comeback for this one in his stand up show in Edinburgh. But I'm after forgetting what it was! Did anyone else hear it by any chance? I've always found it kind of irritating to hear someone making excuses for acting as if being fat is the norm.

Example 2 at the same time

... why are women so annoying? OPENING POST

Ok I’m sure a couple of men can be assholes occasionally. And I know that not every woman is, just the majority.

My girlfriend had a hospital appointment and as a kind, generous and overall just super guy I said I would bring her. She says to me the night before “make sure you wear something nice”.

Oh did the letter from the doctor say it was a black tie event? Is the prognosis or advice or medicine prescribed going to be different depending on my clothes?
    Firstly, do you think I’m going to turn up in pajamas ffs? Secondly, I went to work in the morning so she knew I’d be smartly dressed. “Oh don’t wear that wine jumper you wear to work”. For someone who is so concerned about what I’m wearing, she hadn’t noticed I haven’t worn that for months and it’s a nice jumper anyway.

Her comment had no impact on what I wore but when I collected her looking well, I’m sure she thought to herself, oh he listened to me, thank god I said something. Of course at the hospital most people were just wearing jeans, tshirt etc.

This isn’t just my girlfriend. You’d see plenty of examples of this kind of sh!t on tv or on nights out or in supermarkets. I’ve worked in a number of offices and plenty of women would tell stories about the stupid things they said to their partner. So what’s the reason for these kind of pointless comments? They enjoy telling people what to do, want to be the boss? Just enjoy annoying men?

Theres numerous posts like this all across Boards.ie. A recent one on the television forum about a Tv show centred on Una Healys saggy vagina. Posters complained and left the thread, but those posts remained.

Why are all these gross generalisation why do women....threads not get shut down?

I believe Boards needs a good clean up across all Forums.

It can't be wiped out of course but if a person is making anti woman comments constantly, it's not unreasonable for it to get women's backs up. Why would anyone want to keep going on like that about an entire sex anyway? What does it bring to the table? It's not discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It can't be wiped out of course but if a person is making anti woman comments constantly, it's not unreasonable for it to get women's backs up. Why would anyone want to keep going on like that about an entire sex anyway? What does it bring to the table? It's not discussion.

But nobody is doing that. The Royal Family is something which pisses off a gigantic proportion of people for various reasons and as such if one of them is in the news, a lot of people will happily throw the kitchen sink at them in order to vent about how utterly, mind-numbingly annoying it is seeing these muppets dominating headlines and discussions. That's not a gendered thing, but the media has tended to focus more on gossip regarding Middleton and Markle, and it's a massive f*cking pain in the hole for anyone who couldn't give a bollocks about a bunch of foreign rich people who are only famous for archaic and malicious reasons.

That's my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement

Anewme, I'm scratching my head here. I really don't know. If I said Robbie Williams wife had an STI? And hospital appointments. Are you quoting a thread?

It isn't discussion no. So in order to clean up the site what should happen? For every thread that has the potential for a few to come in with anti-women comments would a mod need to post a warning in the OP?

Anewme, I'm scratching my head here. I really don't know. If I said Robbie Williams wife had an STI? And hospital appointments. Are you quoting a thread?

No, but if someone said Robbie William's wife had an STI in order to belittle her, would that be misogyny?

You said you haven't seen any misogyny, so im quoting
    a thread from earlier today. The jostle stone one.

A poster went onto the womans Facebook page, went through her photos and published them on Boards with belittling comments. He then said she had an STI.

The thread was not about STI's or hospital appointments.

The endless why do women...threads are further examples. Cut them off at Post 1: "sorry, we don't want gross generalisations around here, next !'

Not sure how Una Healys saggy vagina or how many people would ride her impacts her presenting skills.? I don't recall in the late late show thread comments about Ryan Tubridy's penis.

It's all belittling put downs against women and it needs to be stamped out.

If you cant see the misogny, then you cant see it. Others see it as clear as day. This thread is for feedback and to give examples.

How are STI and saggy vagina comments different 'opinions' that should be given any credence or adding any positive value to anything.?

It gets tiresome after a while.

It isn't discussion no. So in order to clean up the site what should happen? For every thread that has the potential for a few to come in with anti-women comments would a mod need to post a warning in the OP?
    You keep making these suggestions that nobody has suggested though. If people are dragging a thread off topic with acting the tool, just "cut it out" is enough. Why would I look for anything else? And that's being done now.

But nobody is doing that. The Royal Family is something which pisses off a gigantic proportion of people for various reasons and as such if one of them is in the news, a lot of people will happily throw the kitchen sink at them in order to vent about how utterly, mind-numbingly annoying it is seeing these muppets dominating headlines and discussions. That's not a gendered thing, but the media has tended to focus more on gossip regarding Middleton and Markle, and it's a massive f*cking pain in the hole for anyone who couldn't give a bollocks about a bunch of foreign rich people who are only famous for archaic and malicious reasons.

That's my take on it anyway.
    Dunno why you're saying this to me. The absolute one and only objection I have is to the way a woman is being attacked for no reason. There are no grounds for it so: zone in on her being a woman. Must be a gold digger, social climber, bitch, actress so sociopath, a demanding nightmare for her husband, a diva. No evidence of any but shur she's a woman. And the abuse is coming from those who love the royals. It's the opposite to what you're saying. I don't care which woman it is - I am only critical of an orchestrated smear campaign, whoever is on the receiving end. Check out Brian Cathcart's research on this unethical press behaviour. And you said nobody was doing same on After Hours - they absolutely were. It's the people who have no time for monarchy and detest the little Englander sycophancy towards the royals who share the view I have.

im not sure that your bar for misogyny of "criticism of a woman" is going to convince anyone not already seeking to be convinced

and i understand that the criticism isn't based on very much at all, but hey neither is a lot of criticism of anyone in the public eye!

im not sure that your bar for misogyny of "criticism of a woman" is going to convince anyone not already seeking to be convinced

and i understand that the criticism isn't based on very much at all, but hey neither is a lot of criticism of anyone in the public eye!
    "Attacks on her and making stuff up about her because she's a woman" is more accurate.

Mere criticism of a woman is hardly misogyny.

"because she is a woman"

yes i know you believe this. but step aside that for a moment and you have to admit it's not really a statement that does anything more in terms of making a case.

Dunno what to tell you. If you can't see how misogyny is at the root of relentless gender-based attacks (all the standard terms for that purpose like gold digger, social climber, bitch etc for no reason other than she's female because there isn't any evidence to support these claims) that's your right.

I mean if there was evidence for the above, it wouldn't be gender based, it would be behaviour and character based, but there isn't.

• Advertisement

You keep making these suggestions that nobody has suggested though. If people are dragging a thread off topic with acting the tool, just "cut it out" is enough. Why would I look for anything else? And that's being done now.

I thought we were here discussing what can be done?

Advertisement