Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB J.

Brilliant report too.

I ran the Clontarf HM six times, and not once did I come remotely close to finishing as well as that. More to come from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Cracking run and report to match. I found that route really tough the time I did it. Congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on the PB J.

Brilliant report too.

I ran the Clontarf HM six times, and not once did I come remotely close to finishing as well as that. More to come from you.

Thanks J.

That was my third year in a row doing it but tbf conditions last weekend were the best of the 3 by a long way. I still have flashbacks of the brutal headwind we had on the homeward journey along the beach 2 years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Super racing J! Your reports are always a great read and this one is no different. I love how you moved through the field, never settling, and backing yourself all the time to push on to the next group up ahead. Impressive stuff!

Nice bounce back from the face plant too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super stuff J, great racing. Not the easiest Half to nail a PB but you done it with ease on Saturday, well done.

• Advertisement

Time to get back logging (and running :rolleyes:) for the new year!

Pretty much took the month of December off having lost my motivation but was looking forward to the new year and starting into a new plan. I’ve signed up for a couple of HM in March and April so the 6th of January was D-Day for the start of one of the 12 week FRR HM plans.

Monday 6th- 9 miles GA. Did these miles around the grounds of Strokestown House famine museum for something different. For the parkrun tourists amongst you this is where the local one is held. Nice setting but having to do a 180 turn at a traffic cone 6 times means it surely ain’t a PB course. Took these nice and handy but halfway thru the bottom of my hamstrings in both legs tightened, not sore but bit uncomfortable all the same. Finished up with average of 8.23/mile.

Tuesday 7th- 8 miles with 25 mins @LT. Very apprehensive about this one as it was the first proper session since DCM training. 10 mins at GA and I’m thinking how am I going to knock thru the intervals at nearly 2 mins per mile faster! The first interval is 15 mins and despite the shock to the system it goes relatively smoothly despite the rain and wind. Still glad to have the 4 minute jog interval which ends up being 5 minutes as I was day dreaming and missed it. Second interval is 12 mins but this one is way tougher and I’m regretting running the first one to peak fitness rather than current fitness! Still churning it out but the mix of headwind, main road traffic meaning I’m pretty much running on the spot when a Lordy passes and it being my first speed session in an age means I cut this one short at 10 mins instead (don’t judge me!). Nice blister on my foot to show for my efforts too. Run completed at an average of 7.39 min/mile.

Thursday 9th- 10 miles GA. Was supposed to do this Wednesday instead but work ran over what it was supposed to. Only way I could fit it in was with an early start Thursday morning. Set the alarm for 5.40 am, only hit snooze once and I’m out the door with hi viz and headlamp. First couple of miles are grand but after that for the next 6 I’m on my own in the dark on the main road hard shoulder. Had listened to a former astronaut on The Last Word earlier in the week talking about how eerie space walks are cause there is no sound except your own breathing. My run is similar in that the only noise is my breathing and footsteps! This was supposed to be an endurance run with a faster second half but I left it at GA to ease myself into the plan (well noticed though Mr Guappa, once a mentor always a mentor!). Run completed at an average of 8.27 min/mile.

Friday 10th- 12 miles GA. Again this was supposed to be an endurance run done at the weekend but my wife was on night shift so switched things around. Nothing too exciting about this one apart from feeling a bit of a squelch in one of my runners about halfway thru but running on anyways. Changing in the car and my sock is red due to poor toenail cutting technique! Run done at average of 8.15 min/mile.

Sunday 12th- 7 miles GA with strides. The strides in this one were 6 x 100 meters twice with 4 minute recovery between. Hamstrings still a small bit tight meaning I had to check the top out of these strides but other than that it was fine.

Great to get back into the swing of things again and hopefully the LT feels a bit easier in the coming week!

On a different note, thanks so much for your votes for Most Improved Athlete, your acknowledgment means an awful lot and has given me a great confidence boost to start the new year, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

A well deserved award J. It won't be long before you are churning out times similar to your peers on here. That little group of 17:xx 5k runners will soon have company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A well deserved award J. It won't be long before you are churning out times similar to your peers on here. That little group of 17:xx 5k runners will soon have company!!

Thats if he ever does a 5k (or 10k)!!

Treviso wrote: »
    Thats if he ever does a 5k (or 10k)!!

You'll be joining him in growing that group of Mellow Yellow, Healy, Swashbuckler etc...not forgetting AMK who continues to compete with/beat his juniors

You'll be joining him in growing that group of Mellow Yellow, Healy, Swashbuckler etc...not forgetting AMK who continues to compete with/beat his juniors

What group have you me shoehorned in........

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    What group have you me shoehorned in........

Oh sorry...it's your new nickname 'etc' ! It has a ring to it.

Oh sorry...it's your new nickname 'etc' ! It has a ring to it.

??

??

You are the aforementioned etc ;-)

You are the aforementioned etc ;-)

Has he left these shores that long that he no longer gets irish wit?!

I was glad to finally follow your advice on easy runs but I think you may have lost me woth your latest musing!

Has he left these shores that long that he no longer gets irish wit?!

I must have, cause that’s gone straight over my head??!!

I was glad to finally follow your advice on easy runs but I think you may have lost me woth your latest musing!

Jesus I'm having a bad day! There's a group of lads including OO- who have shown the benchmark for what you can aim for with continued consistency...

Jesus I'm having a bad day! There's a group of lads including OO- who have shown the benchmark for what you can aim for with continued consistency...

Ah keep your sympathy compliments, wasn’t good enough to be listed in the first group.......

Oh I got what you said, i was referring to you potentially putting me in that company!
    I can chug out miles but I'm not a speedster!

Oh I got what you said, i was referring to you potentially putting me in that company!
    I can chug out miles but I'm not a speedster!

Those endurance runs will bring you on hugely J, they surprised me come Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Not to interrupt the bickering here but huge well done & really well deserved award of most improved:D

Now ladies continue the bickering...

Not to interrupt the bickering here but huge well done & really well deserved award of most improved:D

Now ladies continue the bickering...

That's a sense of humour I can get on board with!!

Monday 13th- 7 miles @ GA. Handy run out during lunch time at work. Managed to avoid the worst of the storm and completed the run at average of 8.18 min/mile.

Tuesday 14th- 9 miles including LT intervals. Did this on the way home from work. Had a lot of walking in the legs that morning so bit nervy about the pain to come with this one. Nice and handy for the first 10 mins before upping it for the first 18 minute interval.
    The mistake I made with this one was the route selected, which includes a nice long deceptive drag/climb. 4 mins in and I’m beginning to feel it and wonder how I’m going to keep going for another 14 mins. Halfway up the hill I get a second wind and while the pace is slipping I know the effort is pretty even. What goes up must come down so the second part of this interval is a breeze.
    A 4 min jog recovery and it’s time to start a 14 minute interval. Back on the hard shoulder of the main road at this point but the road is as flat as could be expected. This interval is way easier than the first and passes relatively burning lungs/legs free.
    Sometimes I think back after a run about what was going on in my head to fill the time during the course of a run. During this one I now have a made up ear worm. I definitely think The Bangles missed a trick by not calling their song Latate Tuesday! 4 mins into the first interval and I was definitely wishing it was Sunday!!

Wednesday 15th- 11 miles endurance.
    There was a couple of these endurance runs in the plan last week but I skipped them for GA instead so was looking forward to this one.
    Again I did this run after another day with lots of walking at work.
    Plan was 3 miles @ 8.30, 4 @ 8.00 with last 4@ 7.30. The first 4 miles were actually tough after previous days effort and with a strong headwind along an open road with just bog either side. Luckily pretty much at the end of mile 4 tree cover comes into play on both sides so the lift in pace is fine. Move nicely through these 4 miles and attack the final 3. Again the change in pace feels easier than expected meaning I push on a bit too much but c’est la vie.
    The splits were 8.22, 8.20, 8.20, 7.57, 7.58, 7.54, 7.51, 7.24, 7.14, 7.20 and 7.18.

Friday 17th- 7 miles @ GA with hills and strides.
    Again another run after work (a pattern I think!). It’s a loop I use now and then that has one nice short but steepish hill that I knew would do the trick for the hill intervals. The first 3 miles are nice and easy before reaching the hill, pass over it and down the other side before starting. Plan says 6 12 second intervals. I’ve never set up a workout on my watch so did this the old fashioned way, stacked the first from a esb pole marker and noted where I had got to after 12 seconds on the watch and repeat! Tough going this one and lungs were starting to burn by end of second interval. 6 100 meter strides on the return trip to the car although this was supposed to be 8, must take more time to read the upcoming weeks running more closely! Run completed at an average of 8.03 min/mile.

Sunday 19th- 13 miles endurance.
    7am start for this one well wrapped up in layers, hi viz and headlamp. The most obvious thing once starting was the cold a feeling which didn’t really pass for a good 20 mins. First mile was slippy enough partially around the housing estate in the marina in my village. This was a 6.5 mile trip out and then turning around o there and then instead of 4 miles at 8.30, 4 @ 8.00 and 5 @ 7.30 I decided to knock the last mile back to GA to avoid a nasty slip.
    Pitch black out til the halfway point so these miles were mostly done by feel. Second half and the thaw is noticeable as the hard shoulder is getting slippy so I’m out on the main road when traffic allows.
    The miles are completed in 8.44 (slippy), 8.26, 8.30, 8.35, 8.02, 7.57, 7.42, 7.44, 7.33, 7.23, 7.14, 7.19, 8.07.
    Nice to get this one done early in the morning with barely any traffic out. Only regret was maybe I should have planned things better and started at 4.30 pm instead and avoided the game on Sky :eek:

A nice ratchet up in runs for the coming week before an ease back week so hopefully I tick all the boxes this time next week.

And what a win for us it was :D

And what a win for us it was :D

That sense of humour of yours! I'm beginning to move to SkyBlue46’s side now!

That sense of humour of yours! I'm beginning to move to SkyBlue46’s side now!

It's not my fault Utd are sh!t:eek:

It's not my fault Utd are sh!t:eek:

You’d be an expert on recognising sh!t I suppose, the Filth were that way for long enough........

You’d be an expert on recognising sh!t I suppose, the Filth were that way for long enough........

Hmmm getting very tetchy around here:eek:

Monday 20th- 8 miles GA. Done this during lunchtime at work. Handy enough miles, nothing too exciting! Average of 8.15/mile.

Wednesday 22nd- 10 miles including LT intervals.
    Was supposed to do this on Tuesday but my wife was on a long day so was my turn to take the kids to swimming lessons. A flipping LT interval in itself!
    10 mins at GA and then into the first 20 minute interval. Tough going for first 5 mins but settled into it after that although I was no problem slowing right down for the 4 minute jog recovery.
    Second interval was supposed to be 16 mins but almost as soon as I start it I get a stitch for first time in years. Decide to break it up and instead do intervals of 6 mins and 2 5 min intervals with 2 minute jog recoveries. Stitch thankfully passed during the second interval. Session done at average of 7.18 min/mile.

Thursday 23rd- 11 miles endurance.
    Did this one after work. Broke it into 3 miles at 8.30, 4 miles at 8.00 and final 4 at 7.30. Took a new type route for about 2 miles of the loop into unknown territory but fairly confident I knew where I was going!
    Bit tired early doors but hit the required paces ok and finished session with average of 7.52 min/mile.

Friday 24th- 12 mile progression run with 2 mile c/d.
    This was supposed to be a 14 mile progression run with last 2 miles at LT done at the weekend but with my wife working long days at weekend this was only place I could fit it in. Not ideal after efforts of previous 2 days so instead I reduced it to 12 miles with a 2 mile cool down as I kinda felt i would be pushing the boat out otherwise.
    Broke it into 3miles each at 8.30, 8.00, 7.30 and 7.00
    First half was fine although I could feel a residual tiredness in the legs. Upped the pace for start of mile 7 and hit the required paces for next 3 miles. At end of mile 9 I was going to be climbing long steepish drag where I knew I would be working way too hard to hit 7.00 so kept it at 7.30 and upped pace for miles 11&12. Mile 11 was handy enough as I had the benefit of the downhill and mile 12 was fine too back on level ground. As soon as I finished off this mile I eased way off and suddenly felt absolutely knackered. Probably a mix of 3 long runs on consecutive days and not eating much since lunchtime. Was a real struggle to get back to the car! Run completed at average of 8.02 min/mile.

Saturday 25th- 7 miles at GA with strides
    This run was supposed to be 8 miles with 8 100m intervals after 6 12 second hill intervals. Alas I could only fit this one in while young lad had soccer training so only had time for 7 and the route had no hill worth speaking about so decided to do 14 100m intervals instead. First couple of miles were tough enough even at GA but the tiredness passed once intervals started and rest of the session went as planned. Boring enough loops around Strokestown House meaning I was passing the same people out walking their dogs over and over. I think the ritual is to say Hello the first time ya meet them, give a nod second time and after that pretend to look elsewhere each lap?! :pac: Run done at an average of 8.04 min/mile.

First 50 mile week since DCM19 training. The lack of miles in December probably caught up with me this week. Next week is a recovery week so it’s not all bad!

• Advertisement

Not updated for few weeks. Wanted to leave it til after completing a full weeks training after the recovery week but that hasn’t happened yet so better do it now to keep things reasonably in line.

Recovery week went fine- 44 miles across 5 runs mostly at General Aerobic with strides thrown in a couple of days.

Monday 3rd February- 8 miles GA
    Managed to fit this in on an extended lunch break. Nothing too exciting about this one, just churning out the miles!

Tuesday 4th- 10 miles with LT intervals
    Was dreading this one tbh. 2 miles at GA and then into the first interval which was to last 22 mins. Found using the lap pace option on the watch great in these sessions for staying at a consistent pace throughout. Got through this first interval fairly well but the 5 minute recovery jog was very welcome before tackling the second interval of 18 mins. Blowing hard to start with in this one but get it done. According to Strava the first interval included a new 5k PB of 19.32.

Wednesday 5th- 13 miles endurance
    This was supposed to be 11 miles but my recall of the plan when reading it earlier in the week was out!
    4 miles @ 8.30/mile, 5 miles @ 8.00 and 4 miles @ 7.30. Enjoyable session and hit the paces or bit below them each mile so was happy out with that one.

Thursday 6th- 3 mile recovery run. Nice insert in the plan at this stage as I wouldn’t have been fit for much else!

Friday was to be 8 miles @ GA with strides. Was actually off work on Friday but sod’s law kept coming up with work to do at home so the day went away from me and run was missed. No big deal since Saturday was to be a tough 14 mile progression run.
    Eldest son went and got a vomiting bug and did a lovely job pebble dashing his bedroom wall at 1 am! Almost an hour of a clear up before all was settled before he repeated the dose later in the night so that put paid to my running on Saturday and the missus was away on Sunday so no run then either.

Monday 10th- 8 miles GA
    The now usual extended lunchtime run, nothing exciting happened!

Tuesday 11th- 10 miles with LT intervals.
    2 miles at GA to warm up and then into the session. First up was 3 1200m intervals at 5k pace. Handy round number so just to add on 0.75 mile to the starting point on the watch each time. Tried to keep it reasonable consistent at 6.00 min/mile pace and got them done. A 4 min jog recovery and then into the next set of intervals- 3 1000 metre repeats. Again managed to hit the 6.00 min/mile pace for first 2 but pace inevitably dropped on the last one through a mix of fatigue and a headwind.

Wednesday 12th- 11 miles endurance
    Was supposed to be 12 but 4 miles in all of which are at the lower end 8.30 min/mile pace and for some reason I’m sweating buckets, feeling bit dizzy and just totally heavy legged. Pass over a hill at this point and the feeling slowly passes so I manage to up the pace and hit the 4 8.00 min/mile and 3 7.30 min/mile to finish up although it took way more out of me than it should have.

That night my wife and eldest 2 kids were at their cousins school show. She rang halfway thru it telling me she had vomited and her sister would be driving them home afterwards. They are just in the door when our youngest buck comes down the stairs saying he’s after getting sick in bed. Ah here!
    Take Thursday off to be nurse so recovery run is lost but no big deal.

Friday 14th- 8 miles with hills and strides
    Everyone was feeling better that morning so went to work and got this one done at lunchtime. 8 hill repeats of about 12 seconds were actually fun followed by 8 100 metre set of strides.

The weekend was supposed to feature a 15 mile endurance run but I started feeling unwell driving home that evening. Didn’t get sick but no appetite or energy and ended up going to bed at 7.30! Felt betterish the next day but still no energy so not a hope of attempting that run. The youngest lad was sick in bed again that night so Sunday ended up being a write off too.

Disappointed about all the missed runs those past 2 weekends but these things pop up. After all the clean ups it will be a long time before I can eat sweet corn or grapes again!

And on a final note my mum informed me that my cousin is getting married on his birthday. “Isn’t his birthday sometime in October”? Yeah it is I’m told, October 24th, the day before the Dublin marathon :mad:
    He is a mate of mine as well as a cousin so it’s not one I can avoid. A quick google tells me the wedding venue is 86 miles from the start line so it’s not going to be an ideal pre race rest day. Normal people would probably say forget the race there will be others but I would be gutted to miss it.

Advertisement