Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thor: Love and Thunder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I can't even guess from what limited knowledge I have of the Marvel universe. Must have been a right aul hook from Taika Waititi to pull Bale in.

One thing I really want is another teaser trailer as epic as the one for Ragnarok:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't see Bale being a fit for Wahtiti's style of comedy, unless he'll be asked to play entirely straight face. Has he even done comedy? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't see Bale being a fit for Wahtiti's style of comedy, unless he'll be asked to play entirely straight face. Has he even done comedy? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.
    He's frequently hilarious in American Psycho, in a generally deadpan way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Slydice wrote: »

One thing I really want is another teaser trailer as epic as the one for Ragnarok:

everything is epic when soundtracked by "Immigrant Song"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mikhail wrote: »
    He's frequently hilarious in American Psycho, in a generally deadpan way.

Wouldn't have said it was an intentional comedy though, as much as moments like the Huey Lewis scene illicited some dark laughs. So don't think Bale has starred in something explicitly, outwardly comedic (assuming Love & Thunder will be, but hard to imagine how it won't after the runaway success of Thor: Ragnarok). So who knows if he even has any comedic timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

"Paul and I even use the same Barber, although I have a slightly better haircut"

American Psycho is more or less an out and out comedy for me. Love it. Bale makes me LOL a lot.

Also... The Big Short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cate Blanchett's role was hardly comedic in the last one he could easily play a villain and still fit in

Ah Blanchett was clearly vamping it up and having a laugh as the Queen Bitch villain; I wouldn't have called Bale's role in Big Short comedy either, nor the film TBH. Comedy interludes & interstitials sure, but the actual telling of the 2008 crash was played broadly straight as an arrow. Including Bale's character

Not saying Bale can't play comedy, just that on the basis of his CV and other roles so far, I don't see any evidence that says to me he's a natural fit for a Taika Wahtiti comedy. He doesn't seem like the type to be up for a knockabout, quippy kind of film. If nothing else it'll be fascinating - if he's hired - to see how he might acquit himself to something openly comedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

American Hustle is probably the closest he's come to a comedy role?

Although I could see him being a bit of a straight man amonst the farce in a Thor film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

There are rumours that he could be Beta Ray Bill, who definitely isn´t a funny character.... but in that case, he will be just voicing..
    Other rumours are for Keanu to turn up as Silver Surfer, but I think people are just wishful thinking there, and clickbaiting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I would love to see him play Gorr the God Butcher from Jason Aaron's run on Thor was of the best recent stories aswell

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Absolutely loved Ragnarok, everything from the teaser to the movie itself. Nothing disappointed. Probably my favourite MCU movie.

Waititi coming back was a no brainer.

Korg might just get his revolution after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cate Blanchett's role was hardly comedic in the last one he could easily play a villain and still fit in

What I was thinking too.
    He has to be the bad guy.

Also on that point, Cate Blanchett was near 50 in Ragnarok and *jaw drops* haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah Blanchett was clearly vamping it up and having a laugh as the Queen Bitch villain; I wouldn't have called Bale's role in Big Short comedy either, nor the film TBH. Comedy interludes & interstitials sure, but the actual telling of the 2008 crash was played broadly straight as an arrow. Including Bale's character

Not saying Bale can't play comedy, just that on the basis of his CV and other roles so far, I don't see any evidence that says to me he's a natural fit for a Taika Wahtiti comedy. He doesn't seem like the type to be up for a knockabout, quippy kind of film. If nothing else it'll be fascinating - if he's hired - to see how he might acquit himself to something openly comedic.

Isn't that the whole premise though? In order for that kind of plot and comedy to work you need a villain or at least a select few characters taking it almost too seriously?

Josh Brolin in Deadpool 2 for example along with Eddie Marsan as the OTT villain.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Isn't that the whole premise though? In order for that kind of plot and comedy to work you need a villain or at least a select few characters taking it almost too seriously?

Josh Brolin in Deadpool 2 for example along with Eddie Marsan as the OTT villain.

Oh I 100% agree, just don't immediately see Bale as being that specific type of actor, one self-deprecating enough to be the straight man.

Basically, I think Bale, fine an actor as he is, takes his craft way too seriously and his intensity levels might not be a fit. Same with someone like Jared Leto, only talented :pac: Mind you, it's still a rumour for now & who knows; perhaps Bale's seeking this part to show he does have that kind of range. Naturally it's all just spitballing to extreme levels.

That famous rant on the set of Terminator: Salvation still rings in my ears when I see him pop up in anything :D He seems like the kind of guy who can never properly turn off, and most likely to deck Ryan Reynolds if they ever shared a set together! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Billy Crystal added to the cast ! I wonder what character he will be ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh I 100% agree, just don't immediately see Bale as being that specific type of actor, one self-deprecating enough to be the straight man.

Basically, I think Bale, fine an actor as he is, takes his craft way too seriously and his intensity levels might not be a fit. Same with someone like Jared Leto, only talented :pac: Mind you, it's still a rumour for now & who knows; perhaps Bale's seeking this part to show he does have that kind of range. Naturally it's all just spitballing to extreme levels.

That famous rant on the set of Terminator: Salvation still rings in my ears when I see him pop up in anything :D He seems like the kind of guy who can never properly turn off, and most likely to deck Ryan Reynolds if they ever shared a set together! :pac:

Yeah, it's not a case of potential miscasting. As was said, Josh Brolin played a very good straight man in Deadpool 2. But Bale does not strike me as having a sense of humour.

Plus, Kate Blanchet's a fantastic actor but if there was one issue I had with Thor Ragnarok it was that you didn't care about the actual overall story: Hela coming back to rule Asgard.

Every time it went back to her you (Well, I) was thinking: Don't care. Get back to the lads! Bring the funny.

And by f*ck, they better bring Sam Neil in...... I know, I know, he played "Odin" in the Ember-Island-Players-Type-Play in Ragnarok but I say screw that, bring him in as another character.

I wanna see him as Thor's.... um..... Uncle Vili... Who is basically Hec. But in Norse armour and more booze!

As for Billy Crystal? I like him but I would prefer if they didn't pull in a load of established and high-profile comedians. The joy of Ragnarok was seeing these actors, who had done light stuff but were more knows for action/drama movies lightening up (Mark Ruffalo fidgeting with the crotch on his too-tight jeans)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Source? I can't find anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Has Christian Bale ever given a bad performance?? I genuinely cant think of one.
    Always happy to pay to go see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Has Christian Bale ever given a bad performance?? I genuinely cant think of one.
    Always happy to pay to go see him.

Terminator Salvation.
    I know he carries intensity, but he just grunted through all of his scenes.

Poor by his standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Terminator Salvation.
    I know he carries intensity, but he just grunted through all of his scenes.

Poor by his standards.

yeah, maybe, hard to tell how much of that is a terrible script and how much is Bale but yeah that was a bit of a miss on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Be hilarious if he showed up as his character from the Princess Bride after Thor gets accidentally killed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he was only mostly dead though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Who says Bale has to be playing a bad guy? He could be another Super hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I assume it will be Billy Crystal playing the villain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I assume it will be Billy Crystal playing the villain

Where are you getting this from?? Is it an in joke I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Christian Bale cast as the villain and Vin Diesel (who voices Groot) said that GOTG also involved

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Christian Bale cast as the villain and Vin Diesel (who voices Groot) said that GOTG also involved

That would make sense given how EndGame ended. Though their involvment could be minor (until perhaps Thor separates from them for whatever reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gorr, Agger or another? Bale is a good addition

Good guess
    https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1337200046849159170?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Lady Sif is returning.

Advertisement