Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sami23 wrote: »
    Would most on here agree that lambs would want to be weighing 50kg's this time of year to kill out at 22kg or above.
    I've a batch nearly ready to go but would be slightly under 50kg's avg
    I don't have lambs atm to go but from chatting to others they are 47kgs ish and reaching those weights.
    It would depend on breeds and levels of feeding imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

If there are on good grass, and are dosed and have minerals, then you'd be hoping they'd put on .75 - 1kg a week.

That'd have them around 45 - 50kg by mid March.

I would say weigh them in Jan, and see how you're doing. I would have said 6 weeks should be enough - but it depends on how they do between now and then really...

Same as :)
    I much prefer the factory, you know the price you'll get and then its all down to you as to how the lambs kill...

How could I factory these? Mine were all bought and sold the one day. There the ones marked X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

How could I factory these? Mine were all bought and sold the one day. There the ones marked X

I don't get you Memory - are they those your ewe lambs that are marked X? If so, you did very well.

If the mart works for you, go for it. It wouldn't suit me, so I either factory or sell from home...

I don't get you Memory - are they those your ewe lambs that are marked X? If so, you did very well.

If the mart works for you, go for it. It wouldn't suit me, so I either factory or sell from home...

That's hardly a recent report. They are no lambs making that money recently.

kk.man wrote: »
    That's hardly a recent report. They are no lambs making that money recently.

It’s from last March. The point I’m making is that I buy a mixed bag. I only have a small number and need them gone in early March. I only keep sheep for the winter to improve the grass. The mart suits me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It’s from last March. The point I’m making is that I buy a mixed bag. I only have a small number and need them gone in early March. I only keep sheep for the winter to improve the grass. The mart suits me.

Grass grew all winter last year, very different winter this year, it won't be easy to put weight on lambs on grass if this weather persists.
    Last winter was great but you couldn't plan an enterprise expecting the same again, I don't know when we got a winter like last winter before

wrangler wrote: »
    Grass grew all winter last year, very different winter this year, it won't be easy to put weight on lambs on grass if this weather persists.
    Last winter was great but you couldn't plan an enterprise expecting the same again, I don't know when we got a winter like last winter before

Last winter was very kind all right...

I have a feeling this winter is going to be a nasty one...
    Having said that, if it came cold and dry, lambs would manage away as long as they had grass - wouldn’t be long disappearing though if you didn’t have a big run...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I just started feeding silage here. I looked back on my records and the first bale has been opening 16 days later this year compared to last. I've also enough grass in a separate paddock to finish lambs for another few weeks, compared to having nothing last year and mealing everything. Lambs are going again this week off grass only and all grading U, from lleyns. It's not that I'm doing anything better then last year, but I think it goes to show how much of a difference there is between different parts of the country. Amazing really how much difference 70 or so miles make !!!

I just started feeding silage here. I looked back on my records and the first bale has been opening 16 days later this year compared to last. I've also enough grass in a separate paddock to finish lambs for another few weeks, compared to having nothing last year and mealing everything. Lambs are going again this week off grass only and all grading U, from lleyns. It's not that I'm doing anything better then last year, but I think it goes to show how much of a difference there is between different parts of the country. Amazing really how much difference 70 or so miles make !!!

Well done, you deserve a break,
    I presume you're still lambing in april, they must've been thriving well all year for you to have so many gone

Well done, you deserve a break,
    I presume you're still lambing in april, they must've been thriving well all year for you to have so many gone

Yes, outside in April. Got a right battering last year with the drought and they never really recovered after that. I ended up spending a fortune on meal, which didn't pay for itself. So makes a change have them finishing off grass this year. Will still end up carrying a few dry ewe lambs over until next spring, but won't be spending any money on meal, other then ewes pre lambing.

• Advertisement

Yes, outside in April. Got a right battering last year with the drought and they never really recovered after that. I ended up spending a fortune on meal, which didn't pay for itself. So makes a change have them finishing off grass this year. Will still end up carrying a few dry ewe lambs over until next spring, but won't be spending any money on meal, other then ewes pre lambing.
    I've plenty of grass here too. I put in store lambs after Christmas to finish off what's left.
    My dry ewe lambs won't be going in but I found the bit of meal they get in January and February pays off. Hoggets get a great start towards my first year when they got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All. What weight do you send lambs to factory or Mart. I weighed my ewe lambs yesterday. They range from 39-52 kg. About 6-7 in an around the 50, more than half around the 45 and a few light ones that haven’t thrived well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hi guys , do many of u put meal in creep feeders for lambs ad lib? lost two lambs with two different meal batches lately , I thought there was too much barley in one so switched then got done again with meal with less barley

feeding morning and evening instead now

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi guys , do many of u put meal in creep feeders for lambs ad lib? lost two lambs with two different meal batches lately , I thought there was too much barley in one so switched then got done again with meal with less barley

Did you do Post Mortem, do you know it was the meal

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Does feeding silage to lambs outside pay off this time of year?. Lambs in high 30s kg . Grass scarce but ive loads if bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Robson99

Did you do Post Mortem, do you know it was the meal

Was the ration a sheep ration ?,? could there have been cattle minerals in it or copper ??

Does feeding silage to lambs outside pay off this time of year?. Lambs in high 30s kg . Grass scarce but ive loads if bales.

I've some lambs knocking around. Still drafting off grass,but its slowing. Once that's gone I might put the rest on the slow boat , feed silage outside and let them finish naturally next spring. Lost my shirt mealing them outside last year, so wouldn't try that again, unless finishing them in a shed.

I've some lambs knocking around. Still drafting off grass,but its slowing. Once that's gone I might put the rest on the slow boat , feed silage outside and let them finish naturally next spring. Lost my shirt mealing them outside last year, so wouldn't try that again, unless finishing them in a shed.

Unless they're 36kg plus they'll rob you for meal but the weather this year....meal might be the only option, I'm just after putting in my ewes a month earlier than usual

Unless they're 36kg plus they'll rob you for meal but the weather this year....meal might be the only option, I'm just after putting in my ewes a month earlier than usual

Ground gone very soft alright, alot of water there.

• Advertisement

feeding morning and evening instead now

How much are they eating per day?

about 0.75 kg

about 0.75 kg

If that is being fed in meals as opposed to creep it is too much IMO.
    The most a give in a single feed is 0.3kgs.

Maybe I am being over careful.

I only see them once a day. Going to build up towards 25kgs between 43. That’s shy of 0.6 kg per head.

I only see them once a day. Going to build up towards 25kgs between 43. That’s shy of 0.6 kg per head.

I have fed 0.5kg in single feed and I think its fine (would be nuts/pencil ration, not a straight)

I would be nervous about going over this, 25 between 43 is 0.58kg...

You could try it memory, but keep an eye on them. If its a nut you're feeding, I would imagine worst that would happen is you sicken them and they go off their feed for a while... I think... :confused:;)

I have fed 0.5kg in single feed and I think its fine (would be nuts/pencil ration, not a straight)

I would be nervous about going over this, 25 between 43 is 0.58kg...

You could try it memory, but keep an eye on them. If its a nut you're feeding, I would imagine worst that would happen is you sicken them and they go off their feed for a while... I think... :confused:;)

I’m building them up over the last few weeks. They seem ok so far. It’s a ration.

On our straw/concentrate system we're feeding .5kg Lamb Finisher at the moment in one feed to the ewelambs, or hoggets they are now since 1st January

im thinking of building a handy shed in next year or two where the dung stead is a 3 bay has walls and concrete floor already might through in a 100 lambs from December 1 st every year and finsh ad lib. what im at in field is much the same

im thinking of building a handy shed in next year or two where the dung stead is a 3 bay has walls and concrete floor already might through in a 100 lambs from December 1 st every year and finsh ad lib. what im at in field is much the same
    The economics of that is justified this year but not every year is the same in sheep. I have over 100 in a shed I did up and its a joy to work in it. They use up some amount of energy going around in a cold bare field IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

The economics of that is justified this year but not every year is the same in sheep. I have over 100 in a shed I did up and its a joy to work in it. They use up some amount of energy going around in a cold bare field IMO

Would it not be costing a lot on straw to keep them bedded and clean ?

Advertisement