Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Guinness always so bad in hotels

Options

Comments

Degag wrote: »
    Washing glasses in detergent is a big problem. Detergent should only be used to clean the dishwasher. Glasses for the most part only cleaned with clean water.

I don't know how true it is but in days gone by barmen apparently polished glasses as part of the morning routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Would you find the same agreement on what five pubs sell the best Heineken?
    If not, why not?

You might, I don't drink Heineken. I agree with that point though, it's one of the first lines in my post above. Good properly run pubs will take the proper care required to deliver all their drinks to the optimum. To a large extent any differences between these Tier 1 establishments is mostly atmospheric or in the eye of the beholder. For me it's The Palace bar on Fleet St. It may not be quantifiably any better than any other first class establishment but to me it tastes a level above.

Of course there are many 2nd and 3rd and 4th class establishments where the quality of all the beers go down a level each time accordingly, not just the Guinness.

Where we disagree is that you don't see the cultural importance of Guinness over Heineken or Tuborg and put it all down to marketing mumbo jumbo. There is more to it than that for myriad reasons. Whether you like it or not it's the 'National Drink', Guinness only drinkers attribute a near religious reverence to it and that's why the quality of a pint of Guinness is a talking point and the quality of a pint of Tuborg is not. It will be ever thus...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Augeo wrote: »
    I don't know how true it is but in days gone by barmen apparently polished glasses as part of the morning routine.

Wouldn't be particularly much use when the same glass is then used and washed multiple times over the course of the day!

As for the atmosphere element - I have yet to have anyone tell me of somewhere that is otherwise a horrible place to drink that has "good" Guinness let alone entering the exhalted list that are oddly nearly always all Victorian city/town or traditional rural pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

L1011 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be particularly much use when the same glass is then used and washed multiple times over the course of the day!

As for the atmosphere element - I have yet to have anyone tell me of somewhere that is otherwise a horrible place to drink that has "good" Guinness let alone entering the exhalted list that are oddly nearly always all Victorian city/town or traditional rural pubs.

This is the thing, it is always the same old pubs that get referenced as having the best Guinness, in Dublin anyway. You could have Arthur Guinness himself running a cocktail bar and you’d have some fella on Instagram giving the Guinness a 5/10 because the taste was a bit too soft and the rings didn’t stick to the glass well enough.

Obviously up until the 50s/60s and Guinness being pasteurised and kegged, the quality could vary a lot from pub to pub. Most of the pubs in Dublin with a great reputation for Guinness – Mulligans, the Palace, Grogans etc have had the same reputation for decades.

I genuinely think the Guinness quality discussion in the pub has survived mainly due to it's ability to generate small talk. All of us repeating the same boring conversation our fathers and grandfathers had with their mates in the pub in the past - an alcohol based version of talking about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

2ndcoming wrote: »
    You might, I don't drink Heineken. I agree with that point though, it's one of the first lines in my post above. Good properly run pubs will take the proper care required to deliver all their drinks to the optimum. To a large extent any differences between these Tier 1 establishments is mostly atmospheric or in the eye of the beholder. For me it's The Palace bar on Fleet St. It may not be quantifiably any better than any other first class establishment but to me it tastes a level above.

Of course there are many 2nd and 3rd and 4th class establishments where the quality of all the beers go down a level each time accordingly, not just the Guinness.

Where we disagree is that you don't see the cultural importance of Guinness over Heineken or Tuborg and put it all down to marketing mumbo jumbo. There is more to it than that for myriad reasons. Whether you like it or not it's the 'National Drink', Guinness only drinkers attribute a near religious reverence to it and that's why the quality of a pint of Guinness is a talking point and the quality of a pint of Tuborg is not. It will be ever thus...

From that post I can only garner that you agree that Guinness being somehow more prone to variance than any other beer is complete nonsense.
    Whether people are talking through their holes for cultural reasons or not is immaterial to me.

I might make the argument that the reason Guinness has this cultural mythology is down to a hundred years of extremely good marketing and shrewd business practices, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There is more to this than "Guinness bolloxology", the importance of the quality of a pint is attributed by Irish people themselves because the act of having a pint of Guinness has cultural significance.

obama_170156-520x320.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

apparently that time in Offaly, Guinness were there for weeks to make sure the pint was Great...

and they also said that if they paid for the marketing they got out of it, would have cost 25 Million

I heard the keg came from the US, to make sure it couldn't have been tampered with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Effects wrote: »
    I heard the keg came from the US, to make sure it couldn't have been tampered with.

Sure everyone knows it doesn't travel well though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Sure everyone knows it doesn't travel well though.

Not to mention how much of an expert Obama is on Guinness.
    I've heard he can provide a league table of the best pint in the top 5 pubs in his hometown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That wasn't the point, as you probably know. Apologies for enjoying drinking with my pals like a normal person without going to a Tedtalk about what type of yeast was used in the production first like an American hipster dweeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Effects wrote: »
    Not to mention how much of an expert Obama is on Guinness.
    I've heard he can provide a league table of the best pint in the top 5 pubs in his hometown.

Lucky the pint wasn't pulled by an Eastern European wha

Apologies for enjoying drinking with my pals like a normal person without going to a Tedtalk about what type of yeast was used in the production first like an American hipster dweeb.

You just spouted on about how important it is that Guinness is revered, how important it is to our culture and how marketing is actually really important to the drinking process.

Then you complain about people who care about how something actually tastes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I suppose as well the 'perception' of a great pint adds to the overall 'craic' on a night out.

I suppose as well the 'perception' of a great pint adds to the overall 'craic' on a night out.

............... sinking creamy pints of Guinness, nothing like it

9d0e31fa7257a908150c4f07a7c731c5.jpg

Augeo wrote: »
    ............... sinking creamy pints of Guinness, nothing like it

9d0e31fa7257a908150c4f07a7c731c5.jpg

Guinness or Murphy's is definitely the best to get drunk to (always drink responsibly). Great buzz and I am the best craic in the world and everyone's friend- flying form.

Whereas beer/lagers turns me into an asshole and liable to do anything mostly ****ed up ****. Not to mentioned sick as a dog afterwards or even on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What you like to drink is ultimately a subjective experience, so why not make it more so. I don't just like Guinness but 'good' Guinness. It's as defensible an experience as preferring Guinness to Murphys to X or Y other product / or pub X to pub Y.

My scientific curiosity would be intrigued if someone could do an analysis of pints from a supposed 'good place' v a 'no name' place.

But to return to the OP's original question, presumably the Guinness Quality Time might hit pubs every 4 weeks but how often do they hit hotel function rooms I wonder? Or even pub function rooms.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

odyssey06 wrote: »

But to return to the OP's original question, presumably the Guinness Quality Time might hit pubs every 4 weeks but how often do they hit hotel function rooms I wonder? Or even pub function rooms.

The same rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

noby wrote: »
    The same rate.

Damn, we were so close! Looks like it might be just a load of rubbish so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What you like to drink is ultimately a subjective experience, so why not make it more so. I don't just like Guinness but 'good' Guinness. It's as defensible an experience as preferring Guinness to Murphys to X or Y other product / or pub X to pub Y.

My scientific curiosity would be intrigued if someone could do an analysis of pints from a supposed 'good place' v a 'no name' place.

Post #85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Its grand in the Clayton hotel in cork city right now.
    I didnt spot the murphys tap until I'd ordered my pint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Drives me mad when some teenagers or mainly young wan is pulling ur pint

These c*nts may as well just do a straight pour cus when they do the 2 part pour they fill the glass up right to the top on the first step

jt69er wrote: »
    Post #85.

Ok scratch that theory so.

I am still curious so. I have had lovely pints of Kilkenny, and v poor ones. And the reputation of the pub for a good pint or how Victorian it was does not explain it either. Nor does how busy the pub was. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Andrew00 wrote: »

These c*nts may as well just do a straight pour cus when they do the 2 part pour they fill the glass up right to the top on the first step

Doesnt make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Keadeen Hotel Newbridge, best Guinness I ever tasted!

odyssey06 wrote:
    I am still curious so. I have had lovely pints of Kilkenny, and v poor ones. And the reputation of the pub for a good pint or how Victorian it was does not explain it either. Nor does how busy the pub was. Hmm.

We are always looking for a reason why tonight's pint isn't quite the same as the pints last week. We're thinking is it the glass, the lines, the person pouring the pint etc. Sometimes we need to look at ourselves, especially this time of the year when our taste buds are working overtime with all the different food & drink being consumed. Maybe it's ourselves that's a bit off, not the pint.

jt69er wrote: »
    We are always looking for a reason why tonight's pint isn't quite the same as the pints last week. We're thinking is it the glass, the lines, the person pouring the pint etc. Sometimes we need to look at ourselves, especially this time of the year when our taste buds are working overtime with all the different food & drink being consumed. Maybe it's ourselves that's a bit off, not the pint.

No I have to disagree with that. It might be sometimes what we have just eaten \ drank before affects taste buds, or if you have a cold, but not always.
    I can tell the difference between wines of different grapes in a blind taste test - or for same bottle, register the taste of different vintages.
    I can tell when one pint of the same beer is different and Kilkenny differed noticeably.

If there are people here who are saying Guinness differs at times then I'm inclined to have an open mind on that. Not sure what the causes \ factors are in the variance but it's an phenomenon that's there.

odyssey06 wrote:
    No I have to disagree with that. It might be sometimes what we have just eaten \ drank before affects taste buds, or if you have a cold, but not always. I can tell the difference between wines of different grapes in a blind taste test - or for same bottle, register the taste of different vintages. I can tell when one pint of the same beer is different and Kilkenny differed noticeably.

I actually did say sometimes!

Andrew00 wrote: »

You should see it in England. Some Weatherspoons you'll find a young wan who will leave the glass on the tray underneath (not hold it) and just pull the tap from a height while nonchalantly looking around. Often one single pour with just a top up to shorten the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

You should see it in England. Some Weatherspoons you'll find a young wan who will leave the glass on the tray underneath (not hold it) and just pull the tap from a height while nonchalantly looking around. Often one single pour with just a top up to shorten the head.

The horror!

Advertisement