Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

• 02-01-2020 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL :)

Might as well kick a thread off for 2020

Got out on New Years Day for a 14 hole competition. Have played practically no golf since around November, but managed to get in 2 14-hole comps in the last week, so hopefully will get back in to the rhythm quickly enough in the new year.

Shot 29 points off 10 (8 for the 14 hole comp) so was pretty happy (managed 26 a couple of days earlier in my last round of 2019)

One of my goals for this year is to improve my short game numbers, and I needed them a lot better yesterday as I only hit 2 GIR for the 14 holes.

Drove the ball pretty well, though there was practically zero run on the fairways. Irons & full wedges were just a little off, which was enough to miss a lot of greens. Finished well, with 5 pars in a row for the back 5.

Got up & down 58% of the time (7/12).

So, a solid enough scoring start to the new year, but lots of room to improve in various areas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

Had a shocker today. 29 points of 13 in the friday open in Corballis
    Conditions were as benign as they could be
    Couldn't get anything going at all. Putter stone cold :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

willabur wrote: »
    Had a shocker today. 29 points of 13 in the friday open in Corballis
    Conditions were as benign as they could be
    Couldn't get anything going at all. Putter stone cold :mad::mad::mad:

That’s not really bad golf though.
    Anything around 30 points is there or thereabouts.
    Only a few tweaks needed.

My last round was 33 off 16. Not bad, not great.

Fair enough I suppose, the lads with me were shooting out the lights so I guess perspective n all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Had 22 points in Arklow today off 19. Thats 21, 20, 20 and now 22 in the last 4 or 5 weeks. I actually played ok today apart from off the tee.

It's getting embarrassing at this stage. I had about 8-10 weeks in July/Aug/Sep where every score was 32 points plus but thats all long gone :(

My driving is costing me a minimum of 10 shots a round. I used to have a bad enough slice but it was consistent so i was able to allow for it when aiming and just accepted the distance loss. Now however i have no idea whats going to happen when i setup with driver. Anything from violent hook to manic slice and everything in-between. I have no idea where to aim as i havent a clue where it might go.

I think either a lesson or some time at the driving range is badly needed. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

davegilly wrote: »
    Had 22 points in Arklow today off 19. Thats 21, 20, 20 and now 22 in the last 4 or 5 weeks. I actually played ok today apart from off the tee.

It's getting embarrassing at this stage. I had about 8-10 weeks in July/Aug/Sep where every score was 32 points plus but thats all long gone :(

My driving is costing me a minimum of 10 shots a round. I used to have a bad enough slice but it was consistent so i was able to allow for it when aiming and just accepted the distance loss. Now however i have no idea whats going to happen when i setup with driver. Anything from violent hook to manic slice and everything in-between. I have no idea where to aim as i havent a clue where it might go.

I think either a lesson or some time at the driving range is badly needed. Any advice?
    Good time of year to get a lesson in & get something solid to work on while the crap winter weather is here.

Gives you plenty of time to get sorted for the qualifying season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First round in Headfort on the Old.

Some forward tee's mixed in with almost full tee's and back flags made for an interesting round. 195yd par 3 on a cold winter morning is a big change from Ardee.

37 points off 16
    4 Pars, one double and the rest bogies.

Putting was terrible with a handful of 3 putts. Putts for Birdie and walking off with bogies isn't a nice feeling. In my defence the greens were in really bad shape in places, looked like they were cut too low for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Played 8 times over Xmas break, The best being a 41pts on The Monty in Carton House, 38pts in Blessington Lakes, A 38 and 2x 37s in my own place also a few low 30s, Played Naas New year's Eve and had a 32 pointer ..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Shot 27 over yesterday.. Things can only get better right:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭blue note

39 points playing off 14 today from the blues in windy conditions. Although the blues aren't much harder than the whites in corballis. A birdie, 5 pars and the rest bogies. Nice to keep the doubles off the card, let alone scratches.

Very funny day with the putter. Just 1 up and down and 1 three putt. But I was leaving putts 3 - 6 feet short and long all day but making the save. My putting wasn't fine - my first putts were terrible and second putts excellent.

blue note wrote: »
    39 points playing off 14 today from the blues in windy conditions. Although the blues aren't much harder than the whites in corballis. A birdie, 5 pars and the rest bogies. Nice to keep the doubles off the card, let alone scratches.

Very funny day with the putter. Just 1 up and down and 1 three putt. But I was leaving putts 3 - 6 feet short and long all day but making the save. My putting wasn't fine - my first putts were terrible and second putts excellent.

Played in Corballis yesterday also, last minute decision so I was one of the last people out. @blue_note Did you find the play seriously slow yesterday or were we just unlucky? 4.5 hours to get around which is massive in Corballis
    Some of the greens were much rougher than normal I thought after the busy few days play. One of the lads I was with said the course could do with a rest for a few weeks

Shot 30 points myself. Scratched first 3 holes, no coming back from that. had 10 points on the first 9, 20 on the back. Felt robbed on a few putts but overall was putting myself in bad places for the first couple of hours.

• Advertisement

That's a good back 9 in those conditions. The wind into you made the last 3 holes very tricky indeed.

It was slow yesterday. We managed to get into a bit of a rhythm so I didn't let it bother me too much, but we were waiting to hit throughout the round. I was late out too, teed off just after 11. But a windy day with fourballs - people are going to be looking for balls and playing out of rough all day. Even if they call the group behind through, it only helps the group behind because they have to rejoin play and everyone behind them has to wait for them to do so. And often they'll find the ball just after the other group tees off, but then they'll have to wait for them to walk from the tee and play through. Calling groups through is polite, but I'm not sure it's always the solution. Often the group just needs to play faster.

And the greens have been a notch slower for the last month or so. They might just need to keep them that way for part of the winter. But it's possibly why I was leaving the majority of my first putts short all day. I had a 12 foot birdie putt on the first (on the up slope just off the green). And left it about 6 feet short. Then made the follow up and that was the story of my putting all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Played 6 times over Christmas, a mixture of 9, 15 and 18 hole rounds. I was within 1 shot of my handicap (18) for each round with the exception of yesterday, which I'm delighted with.

I also had my first 18 holes without a scratch:)

We played 15 holes yesterday in horrible conditions, very windy, driving mist and heavy soil. I went through 9 with 18 points but I committed the cardinal sin of not bringing enough food in my bag:( The hunger hit around the 12th, I lost my concentration and my swing went to sh*te. Finished the 15 holes with 24 points.

My chipping and putting have always been the strongest part of my game, but they seem to have left me recently. Will be practicing that part of my game hard in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Managed to hit -10 gross in the team scramble on rosapenna sandy hills with a handicap of 7.75. 1/8 of combined. 1st prize by quite a bit.

1 eagle, 9 birdies, 1 bogey.

Personally played fairly well setting up the eagle with a 295 yard drive and decent 8 iron to 10 feet. 2 further 8 irons on par 3s to a few feet for birdies also.
    Great day out and a fantastic course, hopefully can return for junior scratch cup later in the year.

blue note wrote: »
    That's a good back 9 in those conditions. The wind into you made the last 3 holes very tricky indeed.

It was slow yesterday. We managed to get into a bit of a rhythm so I didn't let it bother me too much, but we were waiting to hit throughout the round. I was late out too, teed off just after 11. But a windy day with fourballs - people are going to be looking for balls and playing out of rough all day. Even if they call the group behind through, it only helps the group behind because they have to rejoin play and everyone behind them has to wait for them to do so. And often they'll find the ball just after the other group tees off, but then they'll have to wait for them to walk from the tee and play through. Calling groups through is polite, but I'm not sure it's always the solution. Often the group just needs to play faster.

And the greens have been a notch slower for the last month or so. They might just need to keep them that way for part of the winter. But it's possibly why I was leaving the majority of my first putts short all day. I had a 12 foot birdie putt on the first (on the up slope just off the green). And left it about 6 feet short. Then made the follow up and that was the story of my putting all day.

The last 3 holes were super tough in that wind. I found the greens on holes into the wind were in super condition, I think its really just the amount of pitch marks on the greens which have them roughed up. I was robbed off a birdie on 4 by a pock mark 1 foot from the hole. Similar story on 7. 16 had the pin in the back and was as smooth as a babies bottom. Rolled in a lovely 15 footer there

The last 3 holes were super tough in that wind. I found the greens on holes into the wind were in super condition, I think its really just the amount of pitch marks on the greens which have them roughed up. I was robbed off a birdie on 4 by a pock mark 1 foot from the hole. Similar story on 7. 16 had the pin in the back and was as smooth as a babies bottom. Rolled in a lovely 15 footer there
    Do you not look on your line of putt for pitch marks, I usually end up repairing 10 or more pitch marks on every green before I putt...Major bugbear of mine is people complaining about greens but never help the situation by not repairing marks..Not meaning you but in general

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Do you not look on your line of putt for pitch marks, I usually end up repairing 10 or more pitch marks on every green before I putt...Major bugbear of mine is people complaining about greens but never help the situation by not repairing marks..Not meaning you but in general

Ah here, move it on there! I'll repair the odd one in my line if it's likely to affect me. But that's a couple a round.

I'll obviously repair my own and a few more throughout the round, but if I saw someone repair a heap of pitch marks on every hole he'd be in danger of me trying to create a pitch mark on his head!

I always make sure to fix pitchmarks on greens but you cannot fix them all. My point is that the greens there have had an awful lot of traffic over the xmas period given the 'good' weather and they have been showing it.

I always make sure to fix pitchmarks on greens but you cannot fix them all. My point is that the greens there have had an awful lot of traffic over the xmas period given the 'good' weather and they have been showing it.

Point taken, I understand .. I remember a few years back a certain club with a course ranger would go out and check (mostly societies)in the so called boom and he would give a free green fee to people he saw repairing multiple pitch marks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,077 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

tumblr_nslkgvmBJG1ucjeg5o2_540.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Point taken, I understand .. I remember a few years back a certain club with a course ranger would go out and check (mostly societies)in the so called boom and he would give a free green fee to people he saw repairing multiple pitch marks

Unofficial policy in my place is, on each green, repair your own + one more. If enough people follow that request, then it should keep the greens in good shape

• Advertisement

First round of the year Sunday 9-hole V-par and finished -1. Hadn't played in awhile so it was a mixed bag but missed 6/7 greens and no up and downs so really need to work on short game over next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

26 Points in 12 hole comp. Drove the ball well mostly and misses are now one way which is nice.

Managed to three put from inside 2 feet which is a first which left me only a 1 pointer but very happy with how new swing is coming together.

I always have a new swing though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Got out to faithlegg saturday & today was amazed how dry it was after all the crap weather of late. Fairways nice & greens rolling lovely 37pts both rds off 13. Roll on the season ahead single figures is the goal.

lester76 wrote: »
    Got out to faithlegg saturday & today was amazed how dry it was after all the crap weather of late. Fairways nice & greens rolling lovely 37pts both rds off 13. Roll on the season ahead single figures is the goal.

You’re peaking too early ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First shot of 2020 last Saturday. 5 Iron off the tee, 180 yards and stuck it to about 2.5 foot and slotted the putt. Parred the second even after knocking down my second shot but stitched the approach from 60 yards in to about 5 foot and drained the putt.

I should probably leave it at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Got out on the New course in Headfort. Forward tee's but the greens were in much better condition.

6 over for 9
    4 Pars
    4 Bogies
    1Dbl

1 Three putt for a bogie was painful. Hit the bunker on the island par3. Smacked a stone or something, left a mark on the club and hit it about 120yds nearly onto the 6th. Dropped in the bunker and got up and down for a double.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Only got to play 4 holes today before they closed the course, but actually played well enough. Hit the fairway with the 3 drives i hit, which is promising.

Can't wait for it not to be lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

13 holes.
    31 points off 15.
    Drove it unreal but couldn't capitalise on it was irons weren't great. Putting was usual meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

31pts 16 hole comp with 2 blanks. My putting is a joke. Needs alot of practice in the next few mths it's costing me big time. The one part of the game I give zero time & it shows.

• Advertisement

14 hole competition today in Greenore.
    29 points inc two three putts. Off 16.

Advertisement