Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ukranian Airlines Flight PS752 Crash (See mod note/warning in post 270)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A video posted by Iran's ISNA news agency showed a faint glow of light flickering shortly before a huge explosion was seen.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ukrainian-airliner-crashes-tehran-iranian-media-200108032720868.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

BBC Persian correspondent:
    https://twitter.com/BahmanKalbasi/status/1214759246795100161

Read it was a 737-800 - not the Max. Given what's being going on in Iran today, it would be a rather extraordinarily unlikely coincidence, for this to end up being a Boeing technical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

As said it was a 737-800 not the max, a type that doesn't have a history of issues. If that video is real then it look more like some kind of fire or the aircraft sustained some kind of damage on takeoff that lead to a uncontained fire.

Aircraft was only 3 years old so unlikely to me some kind of maintenance issue but still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

wandererz wrote: »
    No confidence left in Boeing whatsoever.

html

Well what about all the airbus crashes?

Leaving aside that 2019 was actually one of the safest years for aviation.

Accidents will happen. It’s a fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

It's being reported by at least one news agency that it was accidentally shot down:-

https://twitter.com/AlHadath/status/1214758196511985664?s=19

With all that's gone on overnight with Iran no doubt the conspiracy theorists will be out in force on this one, I will say however it is coincidence that the Iranian President yesterday Tweeted this before this crash:-

https://twitter.com/HassanRouhani/status/1214236608196685824?s=19

The IR655 hashtag relates to the Iran Air Flight 655 tragedy (apologies I certainly don't want to start any conspiracy theories).

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

According to this:
    30 vs 94

Of course the number above does not take into account the cause.

https://www.1001crash.com/transport-page-plane_database-lg-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just using your random stat wouldn't 2020 therefore one of the worst years for aviation safety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Reports say it could have been shot down by accident by Iran as it is filmed dropping in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If it was accidentally shot down then this won’t play out very well for Iran.

splinter65 wrote: »
    If it was accidentally shot down then this won’t play out very well for Iran.

Not great for the passengers and crew either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Will Boeing have trouble trying to get in to investigate the crash site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Just using your random stat wouldn't 2020 therefore one of the worst years for aviation safety?

Not a random stat. Not the safest year but the 3rd.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/2019-air-crashes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not sure Boeing ever claimed the 738 had anti missile defences?

If that’s what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Wonder was this an attack by Iran on the plane to cause more strife for boeing ...hmmm, bit ironic that it happens now..thought the 737-800 would have been the old style boeing with a fairly clear record...

Puncture holes in the fuselage (similar to MH17??) are apparently evident in photos of the wreckage:-

https://twitter.com/AeroGazette/status/1214808530458423298?s=19

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Will Boeing have trouble trying to get in to investigate the crash site?

https://twitter.com/Boeing/status/1214768412779520000?s=19

Boeing would not liikely directly investigate, though the NTSB may get involved (and appoint Boeing to assist)?*

*Is Iran a signatory to the ICAO Convention?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I’d think it would be more tasteful to open a thread and offer condolences to the families of those who perished on this flight rather than eagerly creating a thread to lustfully go after the aircraft manufacturer!?

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I’d think it would be more tasteful to open a thread and offer condolences to the families of those who perished on this flight rather than eagerly creating a thread to lustfully go after the aircraft manufacturer!?

R.I.P

yup, internet condolences are whats needed, if we just get enough, they might all come back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Tragic :(. Condolences to all onboard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

RIP to all involved.
    It is to early to speculate on anything other than a fire that has brought the plane down. We don't know the cause of the fire. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

ZiabR wrote: »
    RIP to all involved.
    It is to early to speculate on anything other than a fire that has brought the plane down. We don't know the cause of the fire. Time will tell.

Missile...?:rolleyes:

RIP to all of those unfortunate people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenzor07 wrote: »

R.I.P

Changing the thread title would be a start.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll put a more sensible thread title on when I'm at a PC. Can't do it mobile

I would be more interested why Britons and Canadians are flying to a potential war zone. But thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

“Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says he has instructed prosecutors to open criminal proceedings after a Ukraine International Airlines flight with 176 people on board crashed shortly after taking off from Tehran”

@SkyNews

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Judging from the video it seemed like random bursts of flames coming off the plane, surely that would suggest some sort of explosion?

You're on a discussion site. This is a major incident. If you don't like people discussing an event in the immediate aftermath then perhaps don't come on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

No confidence in Boeing yet you quote the Daily Mail. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I would be more interested why Britons and Canadians are flying to a potential war zone. But thats just me.

A lot of Iranian expats on British, US, Canadian (etc) passports for one. People there for work (the EU is basically still open for business with Iran after the nuclear deal).

As to the crash itself, it's unsurprising that speculation is rife given the timing and it'll also be unsurprising if there's conspiracy theories of cover ups etc given the folks involved. I'd say if Iran lets in the air accident investigators quickly, it's because it was something unrelated to them. If parts start going walkabout and it's difficult to get investigators in, could be foul play, but obviously far too early to tell based on some pictures of wreckage.

• Advertisement

Advertisement