Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Yearly Goals

Options
  • 06-01-2020 11:56am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are your goals for 2020?
    Me, I plan on hitting 10k kms. Probably won't make it but I need to have a target to keep me going. Managed 4k last year so it will be tough going.
    Have plans for a few events - booked into the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara and will sign up for a few more.
    Also plan on building up my hill climbing muscles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm going to keep it modest but am hoping to well exceed this - time will tell!

6,500km, Wicklow 200, Strava Gran Fondo per month and possibly Galway to Dublin in a day too.

Judging by my terrible climbing up the mountains last Friday that also needs a lot of attention :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finally get to the Resevoir Dog, Build my touring bike. Turn my old tourer into an audax and do at least 1. Unseize the seatpost in my Croix de Fer.

Get out as much as possible and just let the scenery roll on by. Consider joining a club. Do more climbing. Don't get injured (I seem to crash in even numbered years)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Win something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Goal are as follows

Win an A3 race
    A2 upgrade then retire
    12,000km for the year
    Grand fondo each month
    Plan a major spin >250km for end of racing season or Xmas break.

Find sometime to paint 3 rooms before the Mrs retires me from racing!!!!

Other aims would be personal, weight management etc that are always goals but never achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My Goals:

1) Orwell Randonnee.
    2) Skoda Tour of Connemara.
    3) Skoda Tour of the Boyne Valley.
    4) Great Dublin Bike Ride.
    5) Great Belfast Bike Ride. (if it happens)
    6) Tony Golden Memorial Cycle.
    7) Ashbourne Burners Summer Solstice Cycle.
    8) Waterford-Dungarvin-Waterford Cycleway on my "going to the shops" bike on . . a nice summer day.
    9) Cycle all possible routes up and down Bellewstown Hill.
    10) Playa Blanca to Femes.
    11) Lap the Lough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Try not break anything too serious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mine are:

4000km overall (up from 2200km - poor first half of the year, travel and late nights at work, and a short commute mean that reaching this will involve getting out for my usual 80k or so almost every weekend)

More midweek evening summer spins (up from 0 last year, no real idea why I had so few)

1000km around town and casual rides mainly on my new Brompton

Metric century and possibly 200km in one go (from 110km longest to date)

More sportives and one of Flanders or Liege

1000km in Ireland including two 100km+ sportives (work abroad so not as easy as it sounds - only managed Tour de Kilkenny this year)

Finally, aiming for significant spend on bikes or gear beyond a bike fit, servicing and some new club kit (have chopped and changed bikes on a yearly basis for the last 3 or 4 years for no real reason other than messing around).

If I make all of the above I'm planning to buy a new Di2 disc bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mainly process goals for me, and a focus on Gravel.
    • Stick to the TrainerRoad Plan, hitting at least the 3 key workouts a week and taking rest days.
    • Nutrition - Fuel my workouts/ spins, recovery, and continue to tweak my overall diet. Mainly to include more carbs, and less empty/ poor calories.
    • Sleep - Give myself a chance of 8 hours a night.
    • My A Events - Dirty Reiver 200km (make cut off’s, and complete), Lakelander Gravel Grinder (to beat last years time). There will be other, but these are my target events that my TrainerRoad plan is built around. Others on the calendar already are the Dying Cow, Reservoir Dog, Midland 300, Long Heron, The 3G's gravel grinder.

Yearly km targets aren't really on my radar, with the inevitable slower pace of gravel spins, whilst my actual outside riding window will be the same! I still plan to get my Gran Fondo badge per month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

The doable based on 2019

Will go for 12k for the year
    100,000m Climbing
    Grand Fondo each month

The 'Stretch Goals'

Aim for 6 150k spins
    At least 2 200km Spins

Other than that keep on enjoying the bike and i'll be happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    My Goals:

8) Waterford-Dungarvin-Waterford Cycleway on my "going to the shops" bike on . . a nice summer day.....
    Choose a nice weekday when the schools are still open. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

My Goals:

1) Orwell Randonnee.
    2) Mick Byrne 200.
    3) Paddy Martin Randonnee.
    4) Resevoir Dog.
    5) 5 days of touring in the Italian alps: Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia etc.
    6) Try and hit 5000km (up from 4500km in 2019).

I'll pass on the W200 this year - it's got too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Join my local club and ride with a group at least once a week
    • Learn to ride safely and effectively in a group
    • Be a good clubmate
    • Try to learn some race craft
    Complete 3 events
    Maintain target weight
    Increase FTP to 4.2W/kg
    Shave my hairy legs
    Finally do the imperial century

Choose a nice weekday when the schools are still open. ;)

Does it get very crowded?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Does it get very crowded?
    Not so much crowded as poor cycling etiquette, blocked path, dogs and bicycles left in the way for a few kms each side of the towns/villages along the way. Otherwise it's a great facility with the opportunity of a nice pub lunch and pint in Dungarvan before the return trip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not so much crowded as poor cycling etiquette, blocked path, dogs and bicycles left in the way for a few kms each side of the towns/villages along the way. Otherwise it's a great facility with the opportunity of a nice pub lunch and pint in Dungarvan before the return trip.

I think that goes for most greenways. The Athlone one has its issues but its brilliant all considered.

My goals:
    • Finish the FTP builder on Zwift (week 5 of 12 done but only a few missed days over Christmas)
    • Ride 100km at least once a month
    • Finish the Evil or do the Wicklow 200.
    • Ride 7800km

lissard wrote: »
    2) Mick Byrne 200.
    At the Dying Cow, the Sorrento lads weren't sure this was going ahead, and it's not on the Audax Ireland calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What are your goals for 2020?
    Me, I plan on hitting 10k kms. Probably won't make it but I need to have a target to keep me going. Managed 4k last year so it will be tough going.
    Have plans for a few events - booked into the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara and will sign up for a few more.
    Also plan on building up my hill climbing muscles.

I found a surefire way to get my mileage up was to start riding with mates, work colleagues or anybody really. Means you won't skip out.

As for my goals I want to get 10k kms in - I was tracking well for it in 2019 until I wrecked my shoulders. I've signed up to an Ironman 70.3 in Weymouth - under duress mind you and I have a couple of kickboxing bouts lined up so will be as fit as a fiddle come summer hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    At the Dying Cow, the Sorrento lads weren't sure this was going ahead, and it's not on the Audax Ireland calendar.

Oh no, that's a disaster if true. MB200 is a bucket list ride for anyone that likes the hills.

Anyway, goals for the year -
    7500km
    Lose a stone weight
    Knock another 30 seconds off my 16km TT
    Orwell randonee (stay on board the bike this time)
    MB200
    Reservoir Dog
    Club league- try and get a few podiums
    A few days around Tenerife
    Beat that one clubmate who always just nips ahead of me at the last second in the coffee shop sprint

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Oh no, that's a disaster if true. MB200 is a bucket list ride for anyone that likes the hills.
    "Like" is relative, but having missed 2019 due to being on Holiday, I was definitely planning it for 2020. It was when I said "see you at the Mick Byrne" that I got the potential bad news...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

6,500km (managed 5200 last year but I was out of action for about 2 months due to injuries, so it should be doable)
    Climb faster ( AKA loose about 15kg)

I'll probably do a few events but none are specific goals

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Learn to wheelie properly.
    I'd be happy matching my 2019 total, 8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭wijam

Improve on last years end result of 4800Km - targeting 8000km this year if possible. Try and get out 3 mornings a week and Saturday and Sunday

In regards to events, 5 definites so far and one maybe
    • Tour de Conamara
    • Wicklow 200
    • Girona Gran Fondo
    • Wicklow Gran Fondo (maybe)
    • Inishowen 100
    • Tour de Boyne Valley
    Also have a few cycling holidays booked, all Spain, 2 in Girona, St Patrick's Day and the Gran Fondo in June and in Mallorca for a week at Easter.

Thinking about heading out in October for a week and Christmas for 2 weeks, but they'll be booked later in the year.

Also keep an eye on any events local to Dublin that I can get out and do, as I don't drive they have to be close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have signed up for the Beara Sportive, my goal is to improve my average speed from 25.5 to 26.5 or at a push 27km/h.

To do that, I have to lose the personal timber and train. I will also need to pick some other events to target after as I fell off the wagon after Beara last year so I need a sportive every 6 weeks to keep me on the straight and narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Complete Ras (this is most at risk as herself is due with our first not long before!! She says i can do it but im not convinced id want to be doing it!)
    Win an A2 race
    Sub 54:50 40k TT
    Reclaim club's TT trophies (10 & 25 milers)
    Get running again and begin the move back to triathlon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Having achieved the 10,000 km + a bit last year, had an original target of 8,500km ,

targets are:

1. 10,000 km... need a bit of luck with back issues
    2. Gran fondo for each month
    3. Reach my 63rd birthday :)
    4. Get a few 30kph avg spins in

Sin é

Bambaata wrote: »
    Complete Ras (this is most at risk as herself is due with our first not long before!! She says i can do it but im not convinced id want to be doing it!)
    Win an A2 race
    Sub 54:50 40k TT
    Reclaim club's TT trophies (10 & 25 milers)
    Get running again and begin the move back to triathlon!

Ah here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My goal is 5000km for 2020 up from 2500km this year.

I also want to do at least one 200km spin hopefully during the summer.

My biggest aim is to get over my fair weather mentality and get out at least 3 or 4 times during the warmer/summer months.

My evening ‘training’ spin is 30km but it’s easily extendable to 42km so I’m aiming to do the 42km every time I do it this year rather than taking the shorter 30km route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

1:Annual Goal is 14,500 klm
    2: Compete in IVCA and hopefully earn a few points
    3: Complete the Amstel Goal Sportive without getting hypothermia!
    4: just heard about a club mate who was knocked off her bike from behind by a guy in a 4x4 SUV! 3 fractured vertebrae! And she’s still in hospital!, so my final goal is to stay alive while cycling on irish roads!

.... and get out at least 3 or 4 times during the warmer/summer months....
    Presume you mean 3 or 4 times per week during the summer? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Bambaata wrote: »

Sure it's a handy one this year in comparison to the one you've already in the bag. 3 whole days less.

Advertisement