Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched some of Richard Osman's World Cup Of The Decade last night, and that was good fun...despite some questionable choices IMO (i.e
    GoT winning TV Show Of The Decade
    ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, was advertising close to airing.

Was on St Stephens Night.. watched it earlier. Not close to being as good as it was in it's prime.

Thank you i will check it out on the 4 website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/20/790310228/episode-960-the-writers-revolt

Planet Money is the last place is I expected to hear David Simon. Good to hear him in audio form.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WTF did I just watch in The Masked Singer :rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I watched it, skipping through. Just more interested in hearing them and seeing who they are than trying to guess.

I watched the American version as well. As with all these shows "celebrity" is a broad term, though it seems it became popular enough for more recognisable names to appear.

I know they got him from the US version to try and add comedy, but having Ken there is pointless, especially when he acts excited at who is revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There were 10 shows on last night that I'm actively watching. Yikes. 7 hours without ads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had heard on a podcast, and not sure how I'd even google to confirm it, that on some regional US stations, they'll play episodes of popular shows at a speed just faster than 1x, with the idea to make the episode run juussssst a little shorter - but not so much it'd be noticeable by most watching. The purpose being of course that shaving a minute off the run time allows for more ad-time.

If that's true, that's nuts, and quite happy in some ways that Subscription channels are a thing now (the glut notwithstanding)

Mr E wrote: »
    There were 10 shows on last night that I'm actively watching. Yikes. 7 hours without ads.

How'd you manage to have that many? Arrow and Legends for me just. Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist started last week but second episode isn't until next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Those two, plus The Resident, New Amsterdam, the two FBI shows, Ink Master, Emergence, This is Us (I'm a few behind on that) and a Gordon Ramsey show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cinemax won't be making anymore originals they will see out there currant slate of shows and that's it from them :(

Strike Back, Banshee, Quarry, The Knick, Jett, Warrior it made some great drama & action shows!

Hopefully HBO Max will take on the mantle and continue to make shows like the above.

• Advertisement

So the next season of Warrior will be the last or will they stuck with it as long as they can?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Back this evening (6pm) - repeated tomorrow (11.10am and 7.30pm)

Crackerjack returns with hosts Sam Nixon and Mark Rhodes. They are joined in the studio by Stu Francis, Bernie Clifton, Jan Hunt, Basil Brush and Don Maclean to help kick the series off in style.

I don't recall ever watching an episode of the original though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ddhl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

brian_t wrote: »
    Back this evening (6pm) - repeated tomorrow (11.10am and 7.30pm)

Crackerjack returns with hosts Sam Nixon and Mark Rhodes. They are joined in the studio by Stu Francis, Bernie Clifton, Jan Hunt, Basil Brush and Don Maclean to help kick the series off in style.

I don't recall ever watching an episode of the original though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ddhl

I used to watch in Stu Francis era "oooh I could crush a grape". Kids used to end up with decent prizes sometimes (in my eyes back then) or an armful of cabbages.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

The Audience Network that makes Mr Mercedes and Condor is also stopping making its own shows now that HBO Max taking the lead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Apple TV+'s Foundation based on Isaac Asmiov's novel will be the largest production ever to be filmed in Ireland starting later this year in Limericks Troy Studio's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did the Simpsons predict the Corona virus... alas no :(
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/simpsons-predict-coronavirus/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah. They didn't even do a good job overlaying the text, you can clearly see the original "apocalypse meow" line. Man, who's so lazy that they can't wipe out red text on a black background? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was pleased to see every episode of Seinfeld is coming to All4 (the free Channel 4 streaming service which works in Ireland)

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/02/04/45338/seinfeld_comes_to_all_4

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Skid X wrote: »
    I was pleased to see every episode of Seinfeld is coming to All4 (the free Channel 4 streaming service which works in Ireland)

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/02/04/45338/seinfeld_comes_to_all_4
    giphy.gif

Awesome news!

Oh Boy!

Scott Bakula is talking about rebooting Quantum Leap
    “I don’t know, I don’t know,” Bakula said. “But I know the fans would love to have a reboot.” What would the 2020 version look like? “There are so many things going on right now that need to be put right, that are currently going wrong, that (Beckett) would be very, very busy. Lots to do.”

One thing a reboot would do is resolve the ambiguous ending to the series. While the “official” version indicated that Sam never returned home, there were potential alternate endings filmed

https://deadline.com/2020/02/quantum-leap-star-scott-bakula-possible-series-reboot-1202859711/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Re-watching Psych on Amazon Prime. It was such a fun show, loads of knowing digs at other actors, popular culture and other shows. Also had a great soundtrack, The Longpigs and The Sundays featuring at the end of a couple of episodes.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Me last year: whew.. so many new episodes each week
    Me this year: whew.. so many new TV shows each week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Slydice wrote: »
    Me last year: whew.. so many new episodes each week
    Me this year: whew.. so many new TV shows each week :eek:

Any good ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

FFVII wrote: »
    Any good ones?

I had a think about this and the biggest recommend I could think of most recently would be for the Watchmen tv show for people into comics/scifi.

I see The Shield's on RTE Player, if you're looking for an auld rewatch.

Watched an episode of Tom and Jerry on Prime. Timeless and the movement is great, of course.

• Advertisement

All 15 seasons of ER are on the RTE player as well.

All seasons of Frasier as well.

It also seems to have a lot of Hulu's original shows on it.

The RTE player catalogue is actually very good.

Advertisement