Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Searching around, it seems her name is Clíona Ní Chiosáin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

She played the title character in Aifric, the TG4 series about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm betting more likely a podcast or something - similar to Office Ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Basq wrote: »
    I'm betting more likely a podcast or something - similar to Office Ladies.

Yep it's a podcast.
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-fake-doctors-real-friends-60367049/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭jacool

Pics or GTFO! :pac:
    Here she is

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Lads, really dumb question here but I wasn't sure where else to ask it. I'm buying a new TV for putting in a bedroom. Only want it for streaming Netflix, Prime etc. If I buy one that's got built in WiFi, I can just switch it on and away we go, right? I don't need to have it connected to the Eir TV box or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Try asking here, TME:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=864

I think you need a smart TV, or a regular TV with a streaming addon like Chromecast or a Firestick.

You will have to connect it to your router over wifi. It will have nothing to do with your Eir box.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mr E wrote: »
    Try asking here, TME:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=864

I think you need a smart TV, or a regular TV with a streaming addon like Chromecast or a Firestick.

You will have to connect it to your router over wifi. It will have nothing to do with your Eir box.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just started to question myself before I clicked to pay and then, given the current situation, I didn't want to be trying to return something with nowhere to return it to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i was watching bbc NI newsline this evening and when a government official was giving a press conference they were two sign language people behind him??

whats that about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Life on Mars creator confirms third and final series is in the works

Matthew Graham says new series of show will be set in 70s, 80s and an alternate present
    Fire up the Quattro: Life on Mars is to return for a third and final series set in the 70s, 80s and an alternate present, its creator has confirmed.

The BBC series, which aired between 2006 and 2007 and followed a detective – presumed dead or in a coma after a car accident – who was transported back in time to 1970s Manchester.

A huge ratings success with an epic soundtrack and memorable central pairing of the cantankerous, sweary boss DCI Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) and his time-travelling sidekick, DI Sam Tyler (John Simm), it also led to a 2008 spinoff, Ashes to Ashes, starring Keeley Hawes.

In a Twitter webchat to accompany an online watch-along for the show’s first two series, its co-creator Matthew Graham said: “We would never make another Mars unless we really had something to say and could push the envelope all over again. Finally, we have something.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/03/life-on-mars-creator-third-final-series-in-works-bbc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait, I'm confused. Didn't Ashes to Ashes effectively cap off Life on Mars, at least insofar as what the deal with the coma-time-travel related to? Seems strange to revisit it after all this time. The "alternate present" comment has me curious though

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

I really enjoyed the 'last' Ashes to Ashes episode with the seemingly friendly 'new boss' that Alex and the others almost got 'recruited' by, 'rescued' by Gene Hunt just in time. I would hope there is a new 'Life on Mars' series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

fryup wrote: »
    i was watching bbc NI newsline this evening and when a government official was giving a press conference they were two sign language people behind him??

whats that about :confused:

I imagine one was signing using BSL (British Sign Language) and the other ISL (Irish Sign Language), could be wrong of course as I don't speak (read?) either.

It did look a little odd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ISL (Irish Sign Language) :confused:

but i thought there was only one sign language ?

Would be handy (no pun intended) if that was the case. But they also have American sign language. I guess to remove 'u's
    I'm assuming Australia has their own as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Would be handy (no pun intended) if that was the case. But they also have American sign language. I guess to remove 'u's
    I'm assuming Australia has their own as well.
    Does Australian sign language have a question mark at the end of every sentence? I'm not being facetious? I'm just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

fryup wrote: »
    ISL (Irish Sign Language) :confused:

but i thought there was only one sign language ?

It would make sense if there was, but there isn't. Not sure how many there are worldwide, but I remember hearing a radio programme years ago about someone who grew up with deaf parents, and they even had different versions, one male one female as sign language was gendered.

There's another version of ISL in use in Ireland for infants & special needs people, it's a truncated version of ISL, so probably more like a dialect.

And yes, I know it's ironic to listen to a radio programme about deafness!

Mentioned here before but was watching this week's episode of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and they had Fight Song signed by a number of deaf people. Can be seen here

https://www.facebook.com/ZoeysExtraordinaryPlaylistFrance/videos/2700306840213905/

• Advertisement

TV Doctors and Nurses.......

Fake Doctors and Nurses Thanking all Health Care Workers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-srqxSn3nl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Like something out of Viz, this would be a Top Tip for film producers:

If any film producers want to get a post-apocalyptic film made on the cheap with deserted streets etc, now might be a time to get one made. Garda clearance pending of course, though wide shots taken from a van would be easy enough. Get the shots now- write the plot later.

Except I'd say this will be evident in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Watching Victorian 'lady detective' series Miss Scarlett and the Duke on Alibi, it's nothing special as a show - the cast are better than the material. It has added Irish interest as filmed in Dublin, I think I saw Temple Bar archway double as the entrance to a seedy bar.
    And every now and then you'll hear an Irish accent creep in unintentionally from those in minor roles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Watched the first episode. Have the second. Might watch it tomorrow and decide after that whether to keep watching.

I would be guessing a lot of shows on the bubble of being cancelled will get an extra season pick up now and there won't be many new shows starting next season.

Easier to keep going with what you have than start a fresh when there is so much uncertainty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I would be guessing a lot of shows on the bubble of being cancelled will get an extra season pick up now and there won't be many new shows starting next season.

Easier to keep going with what you have than start a fresh when there is so much uncertainty.

Short piece here in THR about the state of play right now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-upfronts-pushed-as-coronavirus-keeps-industry-flux-1289834

After this is all over, can see a lot of new shows being announced from some of the big name writers/creators who've had loads of time to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

New series called Devs starting on BBC 2 tomorrow at 9pm. Might be worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Eod100 wrote: »
    New series called Devs starting on BBC 2 tomorrow at 9pm. Might be worth a watch!
    It’s the Alex Garland one, right? Watched the first episode and didn’t really grab me, but have heard good things about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It’s the Alex Garland one, right? Watched the first episode and didn’t really grab me, but have heard good things about it.

Yeah that's the one! Yeah seemed decent from the trailer. Think I'll give it a go, with the lockdown especially sure!

Advertisement