Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Eod100 wrote: »
    New series called Devs starting on BBC 2 tomorrow at 9pm. Might be worth a watch!
    Basq wrote: »
    It’s the Alex Garland one, right? Watched the first episode and didn’t really grab me, but have heard good things about it.
    Thread for it here: (FX on Hulu)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112211705

I've watched the first two; it's slow-burn sci-fi, just like Garland's film Ex Machina, but it is intriguing as to what is going on (drip-feed of what Devs actually does).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started watching Happy season 2. I couldn't remember much about what happened in season 1 so looked for a recap.
    Why are the official recaps for shows so bad? Was the same for Westworld. If anyone should know what storylines/details from previous seasons are important to know, it's the makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been following a competitive tattoo reality show called Ink Master religiously since Season 1 (now in Season 13). The second last episode was last night and the 3 finalists were all set to compete in next week's finale.

I'll spoiler the next bit in case anyone hasn't watched last night's episode yet -
    Since there is a big gap of 3 or 4 months between the second last episode and the finale being filmed, COVID-19 landed during the break. There was an announcement at the end to say that they decided to cancel the finale completely and just give the 3 finalists a cash prize instead. I can understand why it happened but after sitting through 15 episodes, it was a bit deflating for me as a viewer...

I wonder if any other reality shows will be similarly affected (I know Big Brother Canada had a similar problem and had to end early).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr E wrote: »
    I've been following a competitive tattoo reality show [...].

I keep reading this sentence and still don't understand it.

TV has finally run out of things to broadcast, it's official.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's an elimination competition where the contestants have to do themed tattoos and are judged to determine winners and losers. Someone is eliminated every week, etc. etc.
    Same as any other competitive reality TV show (Survivor, Masterchef, Big Brother etc.). :)

It's a good format in fairness. One of the better shows of its ilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The demise of reality TV, or even better, scripted reality, would be a lovely side effect of covid.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The demise of reality TV, or even better, scripted reality, would be a lovely side effect of covid.
    Netflix are thriving:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Basq wrote: »

I know, but a man can dream.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

New Saved by the Bell anyone?

CastorTroy wrote: »

Looks like the right amount of tongue-in-cheek...could be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

CastorTroy wrote: »

I'm so on board, especially as it seems to be single cam with no laugh track. As long as it doesn't try to take itself too seriously it should be a lot of fun.

Going by Slater's conversation with the 2 boys about their parents, I think it's safe to say it won't be too serious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

San Diego Comic-Con's been cancelled for the first time in its 50 year history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm honestly surprised it took this long!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Getting new Reeling In The Years episodes I've heard. 2010-2019

Virgin Medias 'Don't look back in anger' was alright but didn't have that RITY charm

• Registered Users Posts: 60,422 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A special isolation Charlie Brooker’s Antiviral Wipe look at the pandemic has been ordered by BBC 2.

^ Grim but entertaining viewing no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Getting new Reeling In The Years episodes I've heard. 2010-2019
    ooooh no, brexit.

trump

panda

they can fu*k off

If any of ye are interested, I'm running a Best Sitcom Character (US & Canada) tournament over in Forum Games. :D
    If you're joining in, and especially if you're unfamiliar with Forum Games Tournaments, please read the first post before posting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072659

Sky has stopped all drama production until spring 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watching episodes now, seeing two characters sitting next to each other and my first thought is they should be social distancing...

The Sherlocks directed by Danny Boyle.
    Danny Boyle's monster hit Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch as the creature and Jonny Lee Miller as Victor Frankenstein

If any of ye are interested, I'm running a Best Sitcom Character (US & Canada) tournament over in Forum Games. :D
    If you're joining in, and especially if you're unfamiliar with Forum Games Tournaments, please read the first post before posting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072659

Just in case, anyone wasn't interested in following the entire tournament, but would like to have a say in the Semi-Finals and Finals, that's all happening right now, and all are welcome to come and cast a vote (and give a reason for that vote - no reason means vote is invalid), would be great to have some of the TV Forum regulars to weigh in for the Final Day.

The final 4 has been whittled down to Niles Crane, Ron Swanson, Rachel Green, and Chandler Bing after some big big upsets along the way

First Semi-Final is currently underway between Niles and Rachel and that ends @14.30

Second Semi-Final goes up right after and will go from 14.30-16.00

The Final will run from 16.00-20.00

Man, this P&R reunion is painful!

I wasn't expecting much and I know it's for a good cause but it's just nothing but lazy callbacks and cringey reaction shots to jokes which would have been on the cutting room floor in it's prime.

I remember saying before that it would be great if they stopped making new shows to give me time to catch up, but not like this.

I wonder if in the absence of drama productions will stations lean into the cheap programming of reality TV. The idea of Netflix getting even more bloated with shovelware trash like Tiger King gives me pause over my sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder if in the absence of drama productions will stations lean into the cheap programming of reality TV. The idea of Netflix getting even more bloated with shovelware trash like Tiger King gives me pause over my sub.

Is money heist on there?

That'll keep you going for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I finished The Pacific the other day. I saw a couple of episodes when it first aired a decade ago but never completed it, but I stuck with it this time. I had rewatched Band of Brothers shortly before this, so it was interesting to compare the two.

Production-wise, everything is very well done and polished, and the score is terrific, but the biggest problem for me was the characters. I struggled to care about any of them, with the exception of John Basilone. This becomes a real problem in episode 9 where the American soldiers are just so obnoxious: if they're not picking on POWs and calling them racist names, they're picking on one another, and at one stage one of the soldiers tries to pry gold teeth out of a Japanese soldier who is not even dead. The soldier played by Rami Malek comes across like a total psychopath and it's bizarre how in the last episode the show is almost trying to make the viewer feel sad that these guys are leaving one another.

Maybe this was authentic and true to life but it doesn't make me want to invest in these men, and certainly not the way I was with the BoB soldiers.

Band of Brothers seemed to have more action too. The Pacific has more romance and it felt quite weak to me.

I'd say it's worth a look if you're interested in history. Wouldn't call it a classic by any means, however. I'd happily rewatch Band of Brothers but can't say the same for this show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Does anyone know why TV children/teens show a lot of blatant disrespect to their parents that wouldn't be tolerated irl? It seems to be a common theme in many many TV programmes

Advertisement