Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster vs Munster, Fri 3 Jan, 7:35pm, Eir

• 02-01-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster:
    (15-9) Will Addison, Robert Baloucoune, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O'Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Matthew Rea, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Kyle McCall, Tom O'Toole, David O'Connor, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Craig Gilroy.

Munster:
    Shane Daly; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray;
    Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Gavin Coombes, Jack O’Sullivan, Neil Cronin, Dan Goggin, Chris Cloete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/12/31/squad-update-ahead-of-ulster/

JJ, TO'D and KO'B need scans for injuries

Killer, Cloete and Coombes ok to train this week, with Ryan expected to join in later in the week

Possible Team vs Ulster

Loughman, Scannell, Knox, Whycherly, DO'S, POM, Cloete, Botha, Murray, Carbery, Earls, Goggin, Arnold, Conway, Daly

13/15 dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This has the potential to be a belter. Two serious lineups.

Daly starts at fullback and looks to have a chance to retain that jersey for the month. Big opportunity for Keynan Knox at TH.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ulster have the edge in the front five I think, but Munster probably have a stronger back row. Both backlines are near full strength with the exception of Daly at FB, so should be a cracker of a game I think.

I'm going to say Ulster by 5.

• Decent teams, looking forward to this. I don't know who that Baloucoune chap is but he sounds like a solid defender.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I approve of these selections.

Decent teams, looking forward to this. I don't know who that Baloucoune chap is but he sounds like a solid defender.

He could be as good as that poisonous Lowe guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

This should be a belter I'd say, both strong teams and weather is forecast to be dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ooh this is tasty, looking forward to it. Munster looking at a fairly poor set of interpros if they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

That's a serious Ulster selection. A LBP and no injuries would be a good result for Munster.

Don't agree with Munster's 6/2 split though. I wouldn't be looking to play Joey for the full 80.

There's going to be a lot of beef in the Ulster back line, so looks like injuries may result.

• Advertisement

Good news on the injury front with Andrew Conway, Joey Carbery, Peter O’Mahony , Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Gavin Coombes and Chris Cloete all available after various injuries

Good to see young players like Shane Daly; Keynan Knox; Fineen Wycherley, Diarmuid Barron, Gavin Coombes and Jack O’Sullivan all in the squad

Would be looking to see big performances from Sammy Arnold and Darren O’Shea

That's a serious Ulster selection. A LBP and no injuries would be a good result for Munster.

Don't agree with Munster's 6/2 split though. I wouldn't be looking to play Joey for the full 80.

There's going to be a lot of beef in the Ulster back line, so looks like injuries may result.

Rory Scannell could slot into 10 if needed

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I imagine Scannell is the replacement 10, but agree on the whole about the 6/2. I don’t like it in general.

This has the potential to be a cracking game. Cooney going up against Murray is his chance to go from putting his hand up to telling Andy Farrell that’s he’s the number one 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Two good sides but I worry about the back row. I think Munster have an advantage there.

Cooney and Burns v Murray and Carbery will be fascinating.

Balacoune is surely destined to make a match defining defensive error!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bilston wrote: »
    Two good sides but I worry about the back row. I think Munster have an advantage there.

The Munster front 5 isn't great either which could be a bigger issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

This has the potential to be a belter. Two serious lineups.

Daly starts at fullback and looks to have a chance to retain that jersey for the month. Big opportunity for Keynan Knox at TH.

Haley will be FB next week. Daly will be hoping to get into the 23

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Are Casey or Ben Healy injured? Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Clegg wrote: »

they select the games they are going to be involved in. Casey and Healy wouldnt be part of european squads generally. they should see gametime in February i would expect

Clegg wrote: »

Priority would be getting the team ready for next week.

Carbery and Murray need minutes.

If picking a 6-2 split then you need your sub back that isnt the SH to be versatile

You could argue for Casey to be selected over Cronin on the bench alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

It’s great for the likes of Daly, Wycherley and to a lesser extent Baloucoune to start a game with such experience players around them instead of a team of inexperienced players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

With the better front five, the Ulster Connors in Reidy and the better backline I fancy Ulster to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

mogwai81 wrote: »
    It’s great for the likes of Daly, Wycherley and to a lesser extent Baloucoune to start a game with such experience players around them instead of a team of inexperienced players.

Baloucoune played in three Euro games last season, including the QF against Leinster. He's well used to being the least experienced player on the pitch in big games.

molloyjh wrote: »
    With the better front five, the Ulster Connors in Reidy and the better backline I fancy Ulster to win this.

Coetzee and Murphy are big misses for us.

It's a big chance for Reidy and Rea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

Based on the lineups can't see anything but an Ulster win. Looking forward to seeing the Munster team though to see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's 8 of the Munster team that will start next weekend. If they can get close to parity in the set piece, this game is anyone's.

Games are often won by the players who occupy the 6-10 jerseys as they dictate a lot of the game. When you look at those line ups, you'd have to say Munster are probably slightly stronger there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Buer wrote: »
    That's 8 of the Munster team that will start next weekend. If they can get close to parity in the set piece, this game is anyone's.

Games are often won by the players who occupy the 6-10 jerseys as they dictate a lot of the game. When you look at those line ups, you'd have to say Munster are probably slightly stronger there.

I think for these games, you'd just look at the combinations.

front five = Ulster
    back row = Munster
    9/10 hard to call, Munster 9/10 haven't played much rugby together, Ulster may edge it.
    12/13 = Ulster, Arnold at fault for Leinster's try last week
    back 3 = Ulster, Ulster will probably fancy their back 3

Hard to see Ulster losing this game at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Munster have the better individuals in the backrow, but they still have a 6/8 who isn't the first relation of a natural openside at 7, and O'Mahony has never possessed the physicality blindside demands. Reidy is a much better openside than O'Donoghue. Munster's loose trio would look far more balanced if they switched the flankers. Of course, that's still the same individuals playing, but I think switching them would help give clarity about who should be doing what. The best composite backrow out of all the players selected would probably be 6. JOD, 7. POM (although Reidy's close), 8. Botha, but as they've been selected, it's probably 6. Rea/O'Mahony (tie), 7. Reidy, 8. Botha.

The worry for Ulster is that DOS, JOD and POM will get into their lineout. Ulster's lineout looked shaky against Connacht. That's Munster's route into the game, you'd have to think.

Cooney vs Murray will get a lot of attention tonight.

• Advertisement

Would like to see the Munster backs get their hands on the ball a bit more often than we saw last week

Advertisement