Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is health insurance taxed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

blackwhite wrote: »
    The 20% is reduced from the price you pay to the insurance company.

If your company has paid €2,500 then the actual insurance cost is €3,125. The insurance company gets the €2,500 from you/your company, and the remaining 20% (€625) is paid by Dept of Finance from your taxes

Are you sure about that.?
    We get health insurance as a BIK and have been claiming the 20% back

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/medical-insurance-premiums/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

If your company has paid €2,500 then the actual insurance cost is €3,125. The insurance company gets the €2,500 from you/your company, and the remaining 20% (€625) is paid by Dept of Finance from your taxes

You are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Apologies

I was thinking of my OHs situation - organised through work but set up is that policies are in individual's names and reimbursed by work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are incorrect.

What's the point in saying they are incorrect without showing why? I'm sure theres a few of us reading through this looking to understand it. But you're leaving us stumped here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pooinloo wrote: »
    It's very different. It's safeguarding your health. It's not a bonus scheme.

It's getting above and beyond what most people get and is not compulsory. Sounds like a bonus to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

893bet wrote: »
    So let’s say my company pays 2500 for me and my family per year.

Net cost to me is circa 1250 per year as that’s what’s deducted from me via the taxation system from my salary.

I can claim separately 20% on that 2500? How can I do this?

9935452 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that.?
    We get health insurance as a BIK and have been claiming the 20% back

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/medical-insurance-premiums/index.aspx
    You are incorrect.

Actually blackwhite is more or less correct here. Figures could be slightly different depending of individuals on the policy.

Gross premium should be used to calculate BIK.
    Co pays Ins company the net premium.
    Co. Pays the revenue the tax relief amount
    Employee claims a credit of 20% of the gross premium. Capped at 200 per adult and 100 per kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

You can claim tax relief on it. €1000 per adult and €500 per child

I thought tax relief was already incorporated into the price

I thought tax relief was already incorporated into the price

Only if you pay it yourself
    If it is a BIK then it needs to be grossed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

What's the point in saying they are incorrect without showing why? I'm sure theres a few of us reading through this looking to understand it. But you're leaving us stumped here. :(

Hopefully a Simple example here.

Full value of health insurance policy is €1000.

Benefit provided by the company.

You will be assessed on a BIK of €1,000 in your payslips and in this example say higher rate of taxes applies (40% PAYE, 4% PRSI and 8% USC) so you will pay tax of €520 (€1,000*52%) on this benefit.

As you have been taxed on the full amount you are entitled to claim back a credit of 20% of €1,000 (max allowed per adult).

Ultimate cost to the employee through tax is 52% of €800 = €416 for a Policy worth €1,000

This can be done on revenue online and will essentially increase your tax credits for the year by €200. Remember you can claim for up to the last 4years if you have not done so.

Paid by you personally
    For a €1,000 policy you will actually pay €800 to the insurance company (€1000-(€1000*20%)) and therefore you cannot claim any additional tax relief as you have already received this when paying the insurance company.

Above is from recollection and haven't looked at this in quite some time so open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Because 9935452 already linked to the explanation in the previous post, I was just reaffirming it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Because 9935452 already linked to the explanation in the previous post, I was just reaffirming it. :rolleyes:

But you are incorrect.

As I explained above

Advertisement