Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Games Of The Decade

• 01-01-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Everyone loves a Top 10 list right ?!?! :pac:
    This list is subject to change since I am playing catch up with my backlog. I am also going back and purchasing games I missed out on , on handhelds since I was very late buying a Nintendo DS back in the day.

So this is my current list , and I think I am quite happy with it :)

1.Dark Souls
    2.Bloodborne
    3.Monster Hunter world
    4.Demon Souls
    5.Yakuza 0
    6.Super Mario Galaxy 2
    7.Dragons Dogma Arisen
    8.Zelda Breath of the wild
    9.Persona 5
    10.Metal Gear Rising Revengence

Honourable Mentions

Xenoblade 1
    Journey
    Tokyo Jungle
    Bayonetta 2
    Dragon Quest 11
    Binding of Isacc
    Earth Defence Force 4.1
    Muramasa the demonblade
    Dragons Crown
    The Last story
    Fragile dreams
    Vanquish

Comments

Good shout for Dragon's Dogma loved it !!!!

Dark Souls was a revelation for me and an experience unmatched by the squeals even though they were technically better. I can't forget taking most of an afternoon and evening to get to the bonfire before the Gargoyles and not sitting at the damned fire after kindling it or the highs and lows of co-op with a friend and trying to get matched or those f'n archers in Anor Londo.

Red Dead deserves a mention for sure.

The game I probably sunk the most hours into Borderlands 2.

Not sure whether to go for Witcher 2 or 3, I bought 2 on whim in Tesco the day it came out knowing nothing about it and loved.

Random game I really enjoyed was Grow Up.

No doubt I'll think of more but I'd not want to call any one game I played game of the decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

The Last of Us is top of the list for me anyway, complete and utter gaming Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The Last of Us is top of the list for me anyway, complete and utter gaming Nirvana.

I can see why people loved this game but I found it incredibly frustrating. Gave up after about 2 hours of gameplay. Just couldn’t get into it at all.

Won’t go with a top 10 but my game of the decade would have to be Destiny. It had its haters but I’ve never put 400 hours into any other game. Completely addicted I was.

I played a lot of Mario 3D World on Wii U. Absolutely amazing game, completely underrated.

I’ll throw Killzone Mercenary out there as well for the game I played most on handheld. I couldn’t believe how well that game looked on Vita.

Great decade of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Games that popped into my head as standouts in no particular order:

Nier
    Breath of the Wild
    Bloodborne
    Witcher 3
    The Last of Us
    Fire Emblem Three Houses
    Mass Effect 2
    Yakuza 0

There's probably more, but those are the games that I've sank most time into and/ or got most enjoyment from and have made a lasting impression on me. I kind of dropped out of gaming for a few years after the start of the decade but back in full tilt now and loving it again. My tastes have changed a lot over the years and I play a lot more RPGs now whereas I was probably more of a FPS and Beat Em Up fan in the past.

I was always an Xbox man but only discovered the joy of Nintendo platforms since I got my Switch last year and, more recently, my 2DS. Those are the consoles I get most joy out of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Easier to sort out mine by playtime.

Arma 3
    Elite Dangerous
    7 Days to Die
    Witcher 3
    Battlefield 3
    Skyrim
    R6 Siege

Strange list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Tough one, I could quite easily interchange the top five depending on my mood, though #1 is generally nailed on for me.

#1 - The Last of Us
    #2 - The Witcher 3
    #3 - Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    #4 - God of War
    #5 - Divinity Original Sin 2
    #6 - Red Dead Redemption
    #7 - Persona 5
    #8 - Mass Effect 2
    #9 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    #10 - Portal 2

Honorable mentions to Horizon: ZD, Dota 2, Overwatch, and Yakuza 0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Jeez that's hard.... So many games and yet at the same time out of the games I play I don't know if they're worthy of 'top' lists.

In terms of time played I would have to say:

World of Tanks.
    Battlefield 3
    Diablo 3
    Overwatch
    CS:GO

Can't think of a single singleplayer game that I'd say I sunk lots of time into or stands out as amazing to me. I play a lot of games but nothing has ever truly blown me away that I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Much prefer single player campaigns to multiplayer and most/all of my gaming has been on the Playstation consoles. The Switch has made it into the household via the children so looking forward to getting properly stuck into the likes of Breath of the Wild and MarioKart but here's what I've played from the decade.

Top ten in no particular order:
    The Witcher 3
    Portal 2
    Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
    Hotline Miami
    Soma
    Last of Us
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Control
    Life is Strange
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

Honorable Mentions:
    Sleeping Dogs
    The Walking Dead Season 1
    Firewatch
    Alien Isolation
    Dishonored
    God of War
    Spec Ops: The Line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I could do my top 10 games of the decade but truth is for me Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the best game of the decade by a very long way.

I've played a lot of games over the last decade but in terms of gameplay and combat its a step about everything else. I'd gladly pay €500 to erase my memory of the game so that I could start the game all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Corvo

Don't really have a top ten, but if I did, number one would be Witcher 3. A masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In alphabetical order:

The Beginner's Guide - can't make a personal list without mentioning the story-led games often dismissed as 'walking sims', a new school of game design that gave me many wonderful experiences over the past 10 years. But it's The Beginner's Guide - the strange, funny, startlingly intimate masterpiece from Davey Wreden - that's my choice.

Bloodborne - you could put Dark Souls in here too if space wasn't such a premium (10 is such an arbitrary number), but Bloodborne will do. For me it the highlight of From's oeuvre for a) its intoxicatingly bleak, gothic world and b) design that demanded aggression and risk-tasking.

Johann Sebastian Joust - There was a resurgence in local multiplayer these past few years which was so wonderful - many of my best gaming memories are linked to the likes of Overcooked, Mario Chase, Towerfall Ascension, Fibbage etc... But it's Johann Sebastian Joust's gracefully simple gameplay that perhaps stood out most. If you've never had five or six players jousting with Move controllers in darkness, you're missing out

Kentucky Route Zero - We have an episode to go, so Cardboard Computer doing their best to feature on next decade's list as well.

The Last Guardian - a rare glimpse into a world where advances in technology are used to explore themes, characters and gameplay alike rather than just deliver more beautiful vistas. The wait was long; the final experience as stirring and unique as I could have hoped for.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the game that comprehensively and thrillingly ruined every other open-world video game.

Naissancee - I'm sure everyone has found a game that feels like it's designed specifically and only for them. Naissancee is mine - a gorgeous, wordless journey through towering, endless megastructures. (I could also include Hohokum here as a 'designed for me alone' choice)

Outer Wilds - games typically don't do endings well, which is understandable in some ways: it's hard to put a satisfying narrative punctuation mark after what could be dozens of play. Outer Wilds' ending, in contrast, makes the hours of wonderful exploration and discovery seem even grander, richer, more tragic, more joyful. One of the greatest games of all time.

Return of the Obra Dinn - design so outrageously ingenious and satisfying it makes you want to stop a stranger and yell 'video games!'. Please don't do that, as it might startle the person. But do play this game.

Threes - Please ignore the inferior clone of this that tonnes more people played because it was free. Accept no imitations: Threes is puzzle nirvana.

That's ten. Hurts to not include these other ten: The Witness, Inside, Dark Souls, Celeste, Hohokum, Tetris Effect, Bayonetta 2, Papers Please, Journey, the entire '10s output of Simogo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh this is a tough one, I don't even think I can come up with a full 10 games that really captured me this decade.

The Witcher 3 (2015)
    This takes my top spot. I went in to this game with very low expectations and had no intention of buying it on release day. I'd vaguely enjoyed Witcher 1 but hated the gameplay of it. I ended up buying it either on release day or just after simply because the reviews were so damn good. I think it was a Jim Sterling review that convinced me to pick it up.

I think at this point I've played through it 4 times and on my 5th playthrough now. After all this time I'm still impressed by the scenery, the atmosphere, the characters and especially the side stories.

Rest will be in no particular order.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
    This is just a great game, not massively immersive but it's beautiful and fun gameplay and all the exploration you can endure.

Last of Us (2013)
    I honestly only got around to playing this in the last few months. Gameplay isn't the best, but it's such a damn compelling story.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag (2013)
    Probably the only AC game I can play over and over again, and will happily finish the story of. Pirate + Assassin gameplay. What can go wrong?
    Kenway is a good lead character, the ships and taking over other ships is great fun. And unlike some of the more recent AC games, features lots of actual Assassination gameplay.

Spec-Ops: The Line (2012)
    Imo one of the most under-rated Shooter games out there. The story is absolutely fantastic, and it would be being based off A Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now.
    On first approach it looks like your typical hoo-haw American Army off to save the day shooting game, but it quickly changes pace when **** hits the fan.
    Play this game if you haven't.

Portal 2 (2011)
    Look, if you haven't played Portal 2. You've missed out. It's ****ing fantastic and you need to go play it now.

World of Warcraft: Classic (2019)
    Okay so this one is a bit cheeky I'll admit it, as it's technically from 15 years ago. Blizzard finally released a Classic version of Warcraft to astounding success. No matter your opinion or enjoyment of the game itself, its impact on MMO's and gaming itself was massive. In the case of Classic, it's done a great job of showing Blizzard (and other companies) that sometimes less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I am still confused by the love the Witcher3 gets. It's pretty, it has nipples and the story/voice acting is good but I'm trying for like the 5th time to get into it and each and every time the sheer banality of the combat breaks my will to play it. 2 swords, same repetitive animations. yaaaawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I am still confused by the love the Witcher3 gets. It's pretty, it has nipples
    I'm sorry but what more could you possibly want?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In absolutely no order:

Portal 2
    An absolute joy throughout. The puzzles, the gameplay, the writing, the performances, the little details... What an experience.

Horizon Zero Dawn
    One of the most stunningly beautiful games I've ever played. The combat was a lot of fun. The story and world they created was a lot better than I thought it'd be and had some great moments throughout. Absolutely loved it.

God Of War
    What a surprise this was! How they broke from the original games in terms of story and gameplay, to create something new but still so familiar to the originals, with some amazing setpieces and a great story. Outstanding.

The Last of Us
    One of the greatest of all time. Everything about it was so fantastic. Deserves every bit of praise it can get, but I'm not verbose enough to be able to do it justice.

Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Another one that took me completely by surprise in how they retained so much of the original, yet created something that felt so fresh. As much backtracking and replaying the same sections in different scenarios as there was, it was never dull to me.

Yakuza 0
    My first Yakuza game. Let's face it, for the most part it's absolutely bugnutty batsh*t crazy in terms of story, characters, side missions etc. But so much fun to play and so much enjoyment to be had from the little things.

Overwatch
    I loved Overwatch. One of the most fun multiplayer games I've played. The range of characters and abilities, the style of the game, the regular (free (yes, because of the lootbox monetisation, but still, free)) updates. Threw a lot of hours into it because it was always so easy to just pick up and play.

Borderlands 2
    One of my favourite games of all time. They just got everything right for me. As bad and cringy as most of the humour/writing was, it had a lot of genuinely great bits too which always made me smile.

Grand Theft Auto V
    Barely ever touched online, but never needed to, because the single player story mode was amazing. A welcome return to form after the somewhat disappointing GTAIV. The map, the characters, the gameplay, the driving, the story, the side missions, the humour... It just did a great job.

Batman Arkham City
    I know most will say Asylum is the best Batman game, and in many respects it is, but overall I preferred Arkham City. I loved the map, the gadgets, and combat was improved, the story was a lot more satisfying. Really enjoyed it.

Special Mentions: Journey (what an incredible experience), Devil May Cry V (personal choice as it's a game I pretty much waited a decade for and was worth the wait even if it's not a top game of the decade), and some of the Telltale games, The Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Easier to sort out mine by playtime.

Arma 3
    Elite Dangerous
    7 Days to Die
    Witcher 3
    Battlefield 3
    Skyrim
    R6 Siege

Strange list.

I'm going by playtime then Skyrim would be my distant number 1. Love that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Last of Us
    Story telling at it's best imo

Bloodborne
    Can't get over how much I enjoyed this, didn't think it would be my thing, I was very wrong

Battlefield 4
    Can't convey the delights and frustrations the online MP brought me. Blew me away having become tired of COD. This was from a time when they were very different.

Destiny
    Never played a game as much, not sure why but whatever they did, they did it right

The Division
    Had its ups and downs but the ups were very ups

Borderlands 2
    For a game that had so much I have surprisingly little to say

Horizon Zero Dawn
    Loved the story loved the heroine, if I had a tattoo it would probably be of her

Far Cry 3
    I thought the intro wouldn't be beat and then I burned a field of ganja with a flamethrower

Remnant from the Ashes
    Totally obsessed with this for three weeks. One of the best play throughs I had probably cos I did it with a mate

COD Modern Warfare
    Just because I can't get MW2 in although I probably enjoyed Blops 1 and MW3 more as I was more competitive back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

I am still confused by the love the Witcher3 gets. It's pretty, it has nipples and the story/voice acting is good but I'm trying for like the 5th time to get into it and each and every time the sheer banality of the combat breaks my will to play it. 2 swords, same repetitive animations. yaaaawn...

I was the same with witcher 3. Gave it a few goes and just found it ok. Then all of a sudden it just clickdd and wow. Masterpiece. All games are sort of ruined for me now after the witcher, none can compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Glebee wrote: »
    All games are sort of ruined for me now after the witcher, none can compare.

The Witcher 3 definitely had the decades best story and many great sub quests although I was also very impressed with the story to Horizon zero dawn and the last of us

Resident evil 2 deserves a special mention, amazing game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Nobody has mentioned Metal Gear Solid 5 yet? An amazing game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A Hideo Kojima game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Witcher 3 hands down. Nothing else comes close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did consider it, but there was too much that spoiled it in terms of the unfinished story and missed opportunities from the Kojima/Konami breakup. Plus the Mother Base upgrading sh*te by sending troops on missions and getting materials and stuff... that just began to annoy me after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Damien360

Delighted someone else feels the same. Bored me to tears. The amount of utter rubbish dialog about nothing drove me cracked. Constant cut scenes. Looked very pretty but had no substance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Edit: Well this turned out longer than expected!

I'd love to do a list, but I can't remember most of the games I've played this year, let alone over the last 10. I'd need someone to give me a list of every game I've played over the last 10 years before I could make a choice. But, stand out games have been:

God of War - An epic return for an epic man, the single shot (nearly) of the entire game was a joy to play, the combat was on the right level of fun but challenging, and it had an amazing story imo. Even the kid didn't annoy me, and it's a companion kid that usually kills games for me. Possibly my GOTD...

The Witcher 3 - I can't say any more about this that hasn't been said. I was hooked from the get go, and then they release that brilliant DLC. CDPR showed us how it's done.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - For me, this is the one new IP that I truly loved. Great setting, great acting, fantastic characters and even more amazing enemies and combat system. Can't wait for more!

Mass Effect trilogy - Most people would probably pick 2, and they wouldn't be far wrong, but I take all 3 as 1 game, and what a game it was. I made quite different decisions than most, RIP Legion. They really made a masterpiece and then fecked up the ending!

Control - My 2019 GOTY, reminded me of the excellent Second Sight, but with a stunning setting (the Oldest House) and brilliant gameplay (especially after a certain power). Highly recommend this to everyone.

Beat Saber - The perfect rhythm game on VR, and i'd imagine it's 10x better on PC due to the unofficial maps/songs. Still excellent and a VR necessity imo.

Assassins Creed Odyssey - A very different game, but my god what a game. Nearly 100 hours into the main campaign, and I only recently got back into the DLC so still plenty to go. I hear a lot of people asking them to make Ragnarok like the older AC games, but I think it would be madness to go backwards. People also complained that there was less assassiney stuff in Odyssey. Well, yeah, it's set 400 years before the creation of the Assassins Creed, it's a different game taking place in the same universe. Anyway, look forward to more excellence from the AC guys!

AC Black Flag - Definitely think this is my favorite of the 'older' games (pre-Origins). The shanties were brilliant, the naval combat excellent, the characters were fantastic and the setting was perfect! AC2 and it's sequels are close, but I think this pips Ezio's journey.

And now I'm checking lists (and one of them has 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' in their top 100 games... ugh):

The Walking Dead S01 - Hooked me straight away, and that ending....

The Last of Us - An early game bug caused my 3.5 hours of progression to corrupt, and it initially took the shine from the game, but a subsequent playthrough confirmed it was a very solid game. I don't think it's as good as others make out, but that's a personal opinion. Can't take away from how it was the PS3 swansong though.

Superhot VR - Played the original on PC and thought it was interesting, but it really shone in VR. Another VR necessity.

Elder Scrolls V - When a game comes out on literally every platform, it's usually a good indication of how successful it is, so Skyrim is definitely successful. And I lost many, many hours to it. Great game!

No Mans Sky - Polarising as the reviews are, it was everything I wanted when it released, a very relaxing space exploration game. It has since morphed into something completely different to the release, and it's a testament to Hello Games as to how they handled the backlash and gave people more than what they initially promised. Still a fantastic game, and the VR support just adds to it (can't wait to play NMS VR on PS5 with proper tracking/movement, hopefully).

Fallout 3 - The best of the series imo, even though most people will prefer New Vegas, but I thought NV lost the appeal of the wasteland. Whereas 3 nailed it imo, and it was amazing from start to end.

Portal - The finest example of first person puzzling out there.

Outer Wilds - It's not on the top list as I haven't finished it yet, but it's definitely a game everyone should experience. The loop is far from annoying, and engages you more. The ending is supposed to be excellent, must finish it soon!

Also, special mention to the following, not because I thought they were good, but because I don't know why I spent so much time doing nothing in them...

Stardew Valley
    Minecraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Fallout 3 - The best of the series imo, even though most people will prefer New Vegas, but I thought NV lost the appeal of the wasteland. Whereas 3 nailed it imo, and it was amazing from start to end.

Portal - The finest example of first person puzzling out there.

These were both the previous decade...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My top ten probably has a lot of overlap with others, but my favourite games of the past ten years are the following, in no particular order.

1: Bloodborne. Just an exquisite but painful game, punishing but so rewarding. First good reason to own a PS4, possibly still the best reason too.

2: Red Dead Redemption: I'm a long way behind most people, I've owned RDR2 since it's release but yet to properly play it. But the previous game in the series was just spectacular. Someone took all of my favourite westerns and managed to make them into a game.
    A play through was as if I could spot the inspirations, this is like Rio Grande, this is like The Wild Bunch, this is like Champion the Wonder Horse...
    And crossing into Mexico, with the shift in colour palette and music, one of the standout gaming moments of the past decade to be sure.

3: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I think others have said it far better than I, so that'll do pig, that'll do.

4: Doom: Think you know FPS? Well, this was and still is a cracking, breathtaking romp, story is second to the action which is relentless.

5: Driveclub: I used to play a lot more racing games. And, back in the day it was MSR on the Dreamcast that was the best, for me at least. Flash forward a decade and a half and Driveclub came out with one of the most dreadful releases this side of No Man's Sky. But it got patched and updated and ended up being the most fun I had behind a virtual wheel. No wonder, some of the MSR team were involved which explains some of it!
    Even the VR edition was great, though the visuals suffered somewhat.

6: Super Mario Odyssey: This decade had a number of really good games from the platforming franchise, with 3D World also excellent, but Odyssey topped it by bringing me back to the glorious SM64/Galaxy days while also bringing in level after level of new surprises.
    Don't let anyone suggest Mario titles are all the same.

7: Micro Mages: A brand new game on really old hardware, this one is on the NES, that's the original cart based console from Nintendo. While the console is mid eighties the game is 2019 and pretty impressive for all the right reasons, a platformer where you are a little wizard making his/her way to the top of each stage. Complete with four player mode, boss battles, great animation, great music too.

8: Everyone's Gone to the Rapture: This was one of those that many seemed to dislike, but it just worked for me.
    Felt less like a mix of previous genres and, instead, like a new way to tell a compelling story, closest equivalent being a radio drama but navigable. Beautiful to look at, great acting and story to boot. But that soundtrack, breathtaking, bought it myself!

9: Last of Us: Another triumph of storytelling and possibly one of the best works by voice actors in the medium. The gameplay is all pretty familiar, being the Uncharted DNA is so strong, but the series of atmospheric settings, the horror, pain and sorrow that is interspersed with moments of triumph but never dispelled. You may win here and there but everything is lost, and the game never lets you forget, with the actions of you and the momentum of the story being about preserving civilisation within yourself and those you protect, even when everything else is gone.

10: The Last Guardian: I know some... yes you, hate lots about this game and feel it's just too broken to love, but I see this game as possibly the best the decade had to offer. Ticked every box for me, spectacular to look at, an original story that was thrilling, shocking and moving in equal measure. The controls were... idiosyncratic but simply a matter of learning.
    Plus, Trico was the original Baby Yoda, I would have had that beast on everything from t-shirts to bumper stickers if I could have had my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Outer Wilds
    Completely blew me away and the small dev team showered golden shame on the AAA industry. The devs said they want less missions in games and want players to find out what to do by exploring. Designing a game well enough can accomplish this. Hopefully the 20's sees more games of this kind of genius.

Gone Home
    I still think about this game time to time. The voice acting, music and atmosphere completely absorbed me into that story, absolutely loved it.

The Walking Dead Season 1
    Gave us an epic survival story and Clem, one of my favourite characters of the decade.

Mass Effect 2
    So good, I recently bought a PS3 just to play through it again (followed by the almost equally brilliant ME3 - shakes fist at ending)

Batman Arkham Asylum
    The greatest comic book video game ever, absolute nirvana for Batman fans.

Life is Strange 1
    Another 'Walk 'em up' that has stuck with me since I've played it. Wish I could wipe from memory and play again.

The Last of Us
    *Standing Ovation gif*

The Witcher 3
    HHMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I was on a lengthy gaming hiatus for majority of the decade until a few years ago, have to firstly say thanks for everyone on their nominations and comments - really highlighted which of my backlog to get started on next! So much good gaming to look forward to :-) Anyhow, here's the top 5 I've played in the last few years:

Days Gone It had a few bugs on launch, but they honestly never bothered me. Loved the story (mix of Walking Dead and Sons of anarchy), the characters, the atmosphere (going through tunnels at night, yikes), but most of all, it was just so much damn fun.

Spider-Man Who would have thought that just swinging through the city would be such good fun. A cracking game backed this up with a proper comic book story and although a little filler on some side-quests, never became a grind. My first ever plat, and loved every minute

Assassin's Creed Odyssey An absolute beast of a game in size, still to get to the DLC, but the base game itself is more than enough, wonderfully created world of ancient Greece, mystical characters and offering countless ways you can explore & kill, probably the most "open-world" open world game I've ever played.

Beat Saber Delighted to have got into PSVR, really adds a new level/prospective to gaming. BS is brilliant for this medium, easily played in short bursts but likely to last much longer. Just one more song...

Astrobot Another PSVR title, takes inspiration from other platformers for sure, but gives it such polish in VR, it's just such a delight to play. Was literally smiling on every level from start to finish.

Notable mentions: Control, Death Stranding, Firewall Zero Hour (but for lobby frustration/other bugs would have been top 5, fantastic when it works well), Superhot VR, Limbo, Resident Evil 2 remake, Detroit Become Human, Rocket League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

GTAV
    AC: Origins
    Pokemon X and/or Y
    Horizon ZD
    TLOU
    RE7
    Outlast
    Death Stranding
    Destiny (after TTK)
    Witcher 3