Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When someone sits in the seat facing you on a bus or a train, when there are dozens of empty seats empty nearby. Such unnecessary awks

Even when they sit beside you on a empty bus. I honestly don't get.
    When I was at college this guy used often insist on sitting beside me it was intercity bus. Once I fell asleep and woke up and his hands were everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The youngest got a sewing kit for Christmas, I'm not any good with this kind of thing and could feel a nosebleed coming on when she opened it. We opened it up today to have a go at it. There are several lengths of different coloured threads. All good until I read that each length of thread is made up of 6 strands and you have to "Grasp two strands. Hold the rest of the thread firmly with the other hand. Pull out the two strands smoothly". Smoothly, my hole. I have ended up with a ball of threads, the two that are supposed to separate refusing to cooperate. Defeated before the needle is even threaded :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Shop street is a hugely busy street and at the bottom of Shop Street is a very busy road which tourists aren't expecting and you often wouldn't realise you were on the road until there's traffic beeping at you. I love animals but dogs should be on a leash in public areas. There's a long promenade a couple of kilometers away in Salt Hill where dogs could have a good run or on the beach beside it.
    Normally I'd agree with you but on christmas day it was dead, which was why it was fine to let them have a run around and why I almost had a heart attack when the car appeared because I wasn't expecting it at all.

Even when they sit beside you on a empty bus. I honestly don't get.
    When I was at college this guy used often insist on sitting beside me it was intercity bus. Once I fell asleep and woke up and his hands were everywhere.

That's genuinely disturbing. I'm sorry that happened to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree with you but on christmas day it was dead, which was why it was fine to let them have a run around and why I almost had a heart attack when the car appeared because I wasn't expecting it at all.
    I understand where you're coming from. The driver of the car probably thought they'd get away with driving on Shop Street because it was so quiet. I'm fussy about dogs being on leashes in public places because of the dogs best interests. I've seen too many instances where humans do stupid things that end up with the dog getting hurt or biting someone and ending up being put down. I'm not saying you are irresponsible I'm just saying.

• Advertisement

I understand where you're coming from. The driver of the car probably thought they'd get away with driving on Shop Street because it was so quiet. I'm fussy about dogs being on leashes in public places because of the dogs best interests. I've seen too many instances where humans do stupid things that end up with the dog getting hurt or biting someone and ending up being put down. I'm not saying you are irresponsible I'm just saying.
    In this instance I definitely wasn't the irresponsible one, the driver was. He was taking a short cut and the speed he was going was insane, which is why I wonder if he was under the influence of something. Normal people don't do things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm preparing myself to be slated for this but anyway..

People who give you a donation to charity in your name as a gift.

Now let me be very clear that I'm talking about people who would never in a million years give you a gift but who then decide to give out these donation cards or whatever. Ireland is an exceptionally charitable country and a lot of us give our time, money etc to charities on a regular basis and don't feel the need to flaunt it. I always feel (perhaps unfairly) that these donations in your name are just a showy offy look at me, aren't I great exercise. Can't you just quietly donate, without making out it's a gift?

Having said that, getting one as a gift from someone who would ordinarily buy you a present and now feels it's a waste of money when there's so many people in need, well that's absolutely fine with me. I've requested such myself on occasion.

Yes I know I'm horrible.

Honestly, I never understood these gift donations. Just give a donation! What's the deal with putting it in someone else's name? It doesn't make the slightest difference to the charity or the ultimate recipient of the donation , in whatever former that takes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

FYI - *those* jobs = jobs where the business shuts down for over 2 weeks during Christmas / New Year i.e. off from 20/12 to 06/01.

Our place is shut down. Obligatory holidays of course reducing our annual 'entitlement' to around 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We have a small stream that flows through our farm.
    However people dump rubbish in the ditches on the road and it gets washed into the stream and can end up in the fields.
    The dumping can cause flooding.
    We've found deep fat fryers, clothes, etc.
    Our latest find was somebodies needle exchange box.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm more than a little bit trivially annoyed that what I think of as that new Indiana Jones film is eleven years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

TA with the sensor light in my en-suite ... it acknowledges me when I go into the bathroom but forgets me when I am washing my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭gifted

Feck it anyway..Herself just came into sitting room and wished me happy anniversary....of course she remembered and got a card....I thought of it yesterday and completely forgot about it again....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Dogs are not allowed roam free, that doesn't mean they can't be off leash.

People who interpret rules and regulations to suit their "entitled" view on everything....

"Oh! FiFi, don't be running at that poor man, giving him a fright like that ...you bold doggy woggi woo....."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

What pisses me off is our country robbing us. Why is something $50 in USA turn to €80 in Ireland and UK,

We have a small stream that flows through our farm.
    However people dump rubbish in the ditches on the road and it gets washed into the stream and can end up in the fields.
    The dumping can cause flooding.
    We've found deep fat fryers, clothes, etc.
    Our latest find was somebodies needle exchange box.
    Jesus, that's disgusting. I was out for a walk in a rural area on the edge of town today and I was shocked that the trunks of some of the trees were scorched from where some idiots were obviously trying to burn them. If it's teenagers and I don't want to accuse teenagers because it could be adults, but if your teenagers come home stinking of fires then you need to be more aware of where the hell they're going and what they're getting up to.

I walked to the local shopping centre the other day and there were vomit patches on the foot paths and lots of empty cans and fast food wrappers blowing around the place when there were 2 rubbish bins right there. What kind of savages are people when they think it's fun to drop rubbish wherever they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

A bit TA’d that the dog walking comments led to the “won’t somebody think of the children” parents.

Most dogs not on leads go about their business and have no interest in interacting with strangers. Often it is an irrational fear in children, which parents should work on eliminating (before it later becomes “anxiety”) rather than expecting everyone else to care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

honeybear wrote: »
    TA with the sensor light in my en-suite ... it acknowledges me when I go into the bathroom but forgets me when I am washing my hands!

I hate them in toilets. If you need to 'sit' down, half way through your shyte the lights go out !!!

People who interpret rules and regulations to suit their "entitled" view on everything....

"Oh! FiFi, don't be running at that poor man, giving him a fright like that ...you bold doggy woggi woo....."
    I don't know what your problem is. In the circumstances I described there was absolutely no problem with my dogs being off leash. The problem was someone speeding on a pedestrianised street.

If I said I was annoyed because I let my dogs off leash on a normal day and they ran up to someone and that person gave out to me and I said they should just get over it, then I would be entitled and the one in the wrong.

A bit TA’d that the dog walking comments led to the “won’t somebody think of the children” parents.

Most dogs not on leads go about their business and have no interest in interacting with strangers. Often it is an irrational fear in children, which parents should work on eliminating (before it later becomes “anxiety”) rather than expecting everyone else to care about it.
    Responsibility is a two way street. Even when my dogs are on leash, because they look like teddies they are a magnet for kids, especially younger ones. They come up and try petting/hugging the dogs and thankfully my dogs love the attention so it's never been an issue. Most parents do say to the child "you should ask first" and that's an important lesson to teach them. I love my dogs and 99% trust them around kids but at the end of the day, they're still dogs and if they got scared/a stray finger in the eye, they might bite out of fear and that's not good for the kid or the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We have a power outage in my area at the moment, with ESB estimating a fix by 8PM. Not a major inconvenience for me, since 4G still works and I can read a book on the iPad.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    We have a power outage in my area at the moment, with ESB estimating a fix by 8PM. Not a major inconvenience for me, since 4G still works and I can read a book on the iPad.
    Could have been worse if it was last Tuesday evening when everyone had full fridges and freezers.

My lack of willpower is annoying me, I said I wouldn't have anymore junk food or alcohol until Tuesday night but I've just tucked into a box of chocolates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I really don't agree with this.

Dogs are supposed to be under controlled supervision.

I was in the park today with the pram and 4 yo either holding my hand or on the buggy board so under complete supervision. Alsation comes bounding out of the bushes followed by a bulldog type dog (the colmans mustard add dog). (these were by no means the only dogs running wild)

As a parent seeing two large dogs coming barrelling towards you and your children is really feckin frightening.

Going to the park should be enjoyable for everyone, is it really that difficult to walk the dog on a lead?

This Park actually has a huge fenced area for dogs to run free, so why they have to be free in the rest of the park is beyond me.

Don't even get me started on the dog poo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I was in the park today with the pram and 4 yo either holding my hand or on the buggy board so under complete supervision. Alsation comes bounding out of the bushes followed by a bulldog type dog (the colmans mustard add dog). (these were by no means the only dogs running wild)

As a parent seeing two large dogs coming barrelling towards you and your children is really feckin frightening.

Going to the park should be enjoyable for everyone, is it really that difficult to walk the dog on a lead?

This Park actually has a huge fenced area for dogs to run free, so why they have to be free in the rest of the park is beyond me.

Dog people are *****. They're dogs not ****ing babies, no matter how much kissing and babying you do with them.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Dog people are *****. They're dogs not ****ing babies, no matter how much kissing and babying you do with them.

Ah here. In your eyes perhaps but to say that dog people are, whatever your asterisks are supposed to mean, is unfair.

My TA is judging others because they are different to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

SMC92Ian wrote: »

Our doggy is always walked on lead, we carry pooper scooper bags and always clean up after him. Through choice we don't have children, and if we choose to love and treat our puppy as our furry child, I really don't think that's anybody else's business. It's not a great inconvenience to your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Being horizontal and struggling to drink the tea from my cup, meaning I have to sit up each time I want a drink, ruining my horizontalness.
    Also being horizontal and dropping the remote on the floor, trying to reach it with your foot but it’s just that little but too far away. And so again, having to get up.
    It’s tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

The thoughts of going back to work tomorrow

Therein lies the problem. Most dog owners are responsible and there aren't enough wardens to police those who are not.

Alsatians and bulldogs are on the dangerous breed list and should not be off leash. They are supposed to be muzzled. An alsatian running up to a kid (even if it's just a puppy and wanting to play) is like a lion running up to an adult - you're going to have a heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's not trivial by any means, but it certainly is an annoyance.

People who are rude to retail staff, wait staff, bar staff etc. There's absolutely no need for it. Some people just seem to look down their nose at people in the service industry and somehow think they're better than them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement