Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I wish that all cancers had become treatable in the last 30 years instead of the advances made in treating HIV/AIDS.
    At the end of the day HIV is avoidable by lifestyle choices. Cancer is not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I feel even more strongly against Jazz.

I love all kinds, from swedish techno, red neck country, death metal, folk, Irish, etc....but draw the line at opera and jazz.

What is worse is the wife loves opera

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sosndt

Maybe there was a time at one stage where nurses actually did those things but these days nurses go around dispensing medication and talking to the families.
    We have several clients who are doctors that work in general hospitals, most of them from outside of Ireland and they regularly comment on how little nurses in Ireland do compared to other European countries. A niece who is working as a nurse in Scotland also comments on how much more they're expected to do in the UK compared to what they do in Ireland. Next time you go to a hospital ward just watch and observe them, spend their time filling in charts, giving out medication and sitting at a desk.

Like I said, carers are the new nurses, nurses want to be doctors and all the doctors want to be consultants with a private practice located inside a public hospital.

Have to agree.
    This nonsense of working 12 hours as if it wasn't their own choice to do so as they only want to work 3 days a week and still get their 39 hours.
    Some do work hard but most are just hanging in there for the maternity benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

thejuggler wrote: »
    I wish that all cancers had become treatable in the last 30 years instead of the advances made in treating HIV/AIDS.

What about smokers?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

thejuggler wrote: »

Because it suits big pharma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

sosndt wrote: »
    Have to agree.
    This nonsense of working 12 hours as if it wasn't their own choice to do so as they only want to work 3 days a week and still get their 39 hours.
    Some do work hard but most are just hanging in there for the maternity benefits.
    Don't know how you could know this. I think the complaining about nurses as a collective is just complaining for the sake of it.
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    What about smokers?
    Still though, cancer can strike anyone whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I feel even more strongly against Jazz.

A lot of people hate jazz assuming it's all Jazz Club up it's own arse esoteric stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭the-island-man

Lay out a plan to eradicate the national debt by whatever means possible.

Many people will say they didn't cause it, why should they pay which is a very valid argument but as many people will know if you have a mortgage hanging over your head you will always be bound to a job and a traditional way of life.

Of course this would need to coincide with a complete alteration of public service structures to ensure such mismanagement doesn't reoccur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AKF

Rap has got violent and misogynistic lyrics, never hear any of those songs being called into question, but sure go ahead and ban Baby It's Cold Outside.

That is because if you question the violence and misogyny in Rap (regardless of how valid it may be) you will be accused of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

I like my smartphone to have a bezel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Has transgender been mentioned yet?
    Which page?
    "And its Ma'am!!"
    "Ma'am!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Cancer is a necessary evil. Can you imagine how much more overpopulated we'd be if cancer was eradicated? There aren't many more things keeping the population in check!

^^ I say that as a former cancer patient myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

jaxxx wrote: »
    Cancer is a necessary evil. Can you imagine how much more overpopulated we'd be if cancer was eradicated? There aren't many more things keeping the population in check!

Yeah, i'd agree with that. See also, resolving world hunger and access to clean drinking water.we're being told on one hand to eat less meat to save the planet, and on the other to send goats/cows to africa to feed a family for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Climate change activists will be seen in the future as the hippies and peace activists in the 60s are now.

Also ...hippies and peace activists were seen in the 60s as climate change activists are now. That's what my grandparents said that people in the 60s thought hippies were sanctimonious and annoying. Kind of like how we see Bono now.

Time along with his pr company will change how bono will be seen by your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

jaxxx wrote: »

Cancer isn't a necessary evil. The birth rate is declining in Europe because of contraception and education. Fertility rates are also falling.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Yeah, i'd agree with that. See also, resolving world hunger and access to clean drinking water.we're being told on one hand to eat less meat to save the planet, and on the other to send goats/cows to africa to feed a family for a month.
    Parts of the world like Africa are over populated and people are starving because they are still having multiple children during famines. It's condoms we should be sending them, not cows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I absolutely despise people who make statements because you have no kids that you dont know how things are or how it feels., as if they have some monopoly of understanding everything.

They never seem to grasp we were all kids and know how things would have affected our parents.
    You do not need to be a parent to understand loss, worry, etc or the empathy, compassion , feelings that are what constitutes what makes you a decent human being.

This notion of you dont have kids so you dont understand, is not only ridiculous to me, but insulting and whiffs of some air of self righteousness that are experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I absolutely despise people who make statements because you have no kids that you dont know how things are or how it feels., as if they have some monopoly of understanding everything.

They never seem to grasp we were all kids and know how things would have affected our parents.
    You do not need to be a parent to understand loss, worry, etc or the empathy, compassion , feelings that are what constitutes what makes you a decent human being.

This notion of you dont have kids so you dont understand, is not only ridiculous to me, but insulting and whiffs of some air of self righteousness that are experts.
    You'll understand when you have your own :)

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Don't know how you could know this. I think the complaining about nurses as a collective is just complaining for the sake of it.

Still though, cancer can strike anyone whatsoever.

It's simples
    I know loads of nurses.
    And how often have you heard of the quadruple time they get for overtime on a Sunday? Yes that's tax free double time effectively.
    Don't mention that much on the news do they?

AKF wrote: »
    That is because if you question the violence and misogyny in Rap (regardless of how valid it may be) you will be accused of racism.

No it's because rap isn't on the radio being listened to by the types of pansies that get offended or are trying to get offended.

This phenomena is prevalent the Irish online population.

Tommy launches his brand new YouTube Channel / Facebook Hobby Page / Free Website with great promises in sharing it that it will be updated weekly / monthly.

For the first month or so, the thing gets a few "one - liner" updates. Then it's just no more than another piece of abandoned web.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

It's simples
    I know loads of nurses.
    And how often have you heard of the quadruple time they get for overtime on a Sunday? Yes that's tax free double time effectively.
    Don't mention that much on the news do they?

I only know a few nurse and have never heard of quadruple time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The nuns genocided monto, and working class areas with the maggie laundries ...amongst other things. And it was forgotten by all except the victims and their families woefully underfunded purveyors of Dublin folklore.

I mean I know sex work is sometimes a grey area and the whole of monto was a grey area (1600 sex workers)but there was no need to let the nuns at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

smilerf wrote: »
    I like my smartphone to have a bezel

What's a bezel??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What's a bezel??
    not all screen. Some body at the top and bottom

smilerf wrote: »
    not all screen. Some body at the top and bottom

I definitely don't want any less than I have on my Honor 10. It's just at the limit of one-handed use and I imagine smaller would mean mistouches.

I only know a few nurse and have never heard of quadruple time.....

Yes they tend to leave it out when complaining.
    They also forget to mention the long shifts and double shifts are by choice so they can work 2 or 3 days a week and then come in with out notice on a Sunday and get quadruple time.
    I'm not anti nurse just anti partial facts...
    I know most do a great job but it's not all hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes they tend to leave it out when complaining.
    They also forget to mention the long shifts and double shifts are by choice so they can work 2 or 3 days a week and then come in with out notice on a Sunday and get quadruple time.
    I'm not anti nurse just anti partial facts...
    I know most do a great job but it's not all hard.

For what shifts do nurses get quadruple pay ? It is double pay on Sunday day and extra for Sunday night . Its never quadruple , have you a link to that ?

And here is a link to agency pay rates depending on where you are on the pay scale .No shift is quadruple pay

https://www.nurseoncall.ie/_fileupload/NURSES%20RATES%202019%20SEPT%20.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Women are very often just as obnoxious and leery on a night out as men are, but its the men who are pigs. Hen parties can be very uncomfortable environments.

And women's culture is definitely way more sexualised (it wasn't males that made Fifty Shades of Grey, Magic Mike etc. so popular) too. Look at grown women losing their collective ****s whenever Westlife, One Direction, Michael Buble take to stage. Men are a lot more civilised in comparison :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Women's worst enemies are other women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Women's worst enemies are other women.

Nope, it's men who claim that women's worst enemies are other women.

Advertisement