Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 - 2020

Options
  • 20-12-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Last day for the "Introductory price" of 65 euro.

plus 4.50 booking fee.

Plus compulsory event insurance of 5 euro (even though I am insured through both my own and CI insurance).

so 75 quid as an early bird.

I paid 55 euros all in last year as an early bird.

That's a savage increase - this is the last time I'm doing this (and only doing it this time as the club is going en-mass).

Edit: and that E-signature isn't 21CFR pt11 compliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I signed up earlier this week - I agree it is expensive for what it is but at least it is giving me something to aim for for next year.

My longest ever spin is 98km, so it'll be a fair challenge for me on the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yeah it's stupidly expensive alright.
    I entered as it's the 10 year anniversary of my only time to do it previously, I don't see myself doing another one again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

40% increase from last years price.....

Plus Booking fee €4.50 and you have to take insurance for €5.
    Total €74.50 For the early bird !

This event was always reasonably priced - greed has crept in ... and it’s not even charity sportive?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have they ever tried to improve the food stops etc..?

40% increase from last years price.....

Plus Booking fee €4.50 and you have to take insurance for €5.
    Total €74.50 For the early bird !

This event was always reasonably priced - greed has crept in ... and it’s not even charity sportive?
    I think they might be doing a Ring of Kerry on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Biggest club in the country is turning its back on W200 for 2020....take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ED E wrote: »
    Biggest club in the country is turning its back on W200 for 2020....take from that what you will.

I'm nearly sure I signed up for the Alternative 200 today :/

I think.

Not. Really. Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

mloc123 wrote: »
    Have they ever tried to improve the food stops etc..?

lol . Not likely to happen .
    It was abysmal 20 yrs ago and hasn't got any better since . Plenty of other Sportives to do around the country rather than going to W200 again and getting shafted .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Just to clarify one thing about the extra €5 for insurance, this is not a Cycling Ireland event. Your Cycling Ireland insurance WILL NOT cover you for the Wicklow 200.

Cycling Ireland insurance only covers Cycling Ireland approved events. This was confirmed at the CI AGM this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Just to clarify one thing about the extra €5 for insurance, this is not a Cycling Ireland event. Your Cycling Ireland insurance WILL NOT cover you for the Wicklow 200.

Cycling Ireland insurance only covers Cycling Ireland approved events. This was confirmed at the CI AGM this year.

Until this year the cost of insurance was included in the ticket price, it's a not very sneaky price hike.

I'm sure an expensive lawyer could have fun with the statement on the CI website though,
    "This cover again applies to when you are training", as I use the W200 as training for the CI approved events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

It’s an event I would like to do but that’s some price for a sportive.

There’s plenty of great sportives operating at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you are using it as training spin does it not cover you ?
    Also what’s the cover ? 3rd party liability? Loss of earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kpbryww

Have taken part in this event as part of a group twice and have to agree it is far too expensive for what it is.
    The food in my opinion is absolutely terrible compared with other similar events.

I/we had planned to take part in the WW200 2020 as part of a group sportive but this year we have decided to wait and sign-up for one of the similar events in the area that are reasonably priced, for a good cause, equally challenging and scenic and with excellent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

"Training" doesn't include signing on for a non-CI event. The example that was given was, if you cycle out to the event, you're covered, if you cycle home from the event, you're covered. As soon as you sign on to the non-CI event, you are covered by whatever insurance is in place for that event.

Cycling Ireland insurance covers CI events.

If you want the specifics of the CI insurance cover, look up the CI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Orwell Randonee is a better event imo. Its earlier in the year but cheaper and has better food:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

billyhead wrote: »
    The Orwell Randonee is a better event imo. Its earlier in the year but cheaper and has better food:)

Always a highlight of my sportive calendar.
    And.....and it has THE WALL
    And...and joy of joys.. The Sally Gap.....TWICE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Always a highlight of my sportive calendar.
    And...and joy of joys.. The Sally Gap.....TWICE

And the carrot cake:pac::pac:

billyhead wrote: »
    And the carrot cake:pac::pac:

Any medals?

It's actually pretty tempting, have "powered" up the wall but that was with a 50t cassette.

saccades wrote: »
    Any medals?

It's actually pretty tempting, have "powered" up the wall but that was with a 50t cassette.

Having checked my extensive medal collection, I don't think they give a medal,
    however they do give you a stick on label, to be attached to stem or top tube, that tells you when to expect the climbs.

Edit.
    I have just checked my emails, they are giving a medal in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

however they do give you a stick on label, to be attached to stem or top tube, that tells you when to expect the climbs.

Yes indeed the Orwell Randonnee gave a really nice medal at this year's event. Always a very well run event. I am planning to do the O.R. again in 2020 myself. The Reservoir Dog has a really cool medal too. And don't forget it has it's own version of the Wall - the infamous Cunard ;)

• Advertisement

Sold, will sign up on payday!

I did lol when I saw the price included the booking fee and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭AxleAddict

I keep hearing good things about the Orwell Randonée, so it looks like 2020 will be the year I finally do it (and I've already signed up for The Dog again). I did the W200 a couple of years back - I (mostly) enjoyed it - as others have mentioned, the food stops were a bit so-so, although I managed to get to them early enough before they got too busy. Found the last 20km or so surprisingly tough (I guess all the earlier climbing finally caught up with me) and although I do enjoy a good sportive I do think the cost-benefit ratio for the W200 has reached a tipping point for me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

saccades wrote: »
    Any medals?

Edit.
    I have just checked my emails, they are giving a medal in 2020

In fact this(last) year medals were issued. The R-Light had its own similar medal.

D33tQcBWsAAR48j?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I keep hearing good things about the Orwell Randonee.....
    Did no one mention that the weather is usually crappy. :D

What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Well maybe, based on the law of averages 2020 will be a cracking day for the Randonnee with perfect cycling conditions. Sure they are due one / deserve one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Was going to do the Orwell Randonnee instead of W200 this year.
    Just realised the date doesn't work for me.

Any other recommendation for a long sportive 150k+ in that part of the world that takes in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Was going to do the Orwell Randonnee instead of W200 this year.
    Just realised the date doesn't work for me.

Any other recommendation for a long sportive 150k+ in that part of the world that takes in the mountains.

Mick bryne 200km...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Mick bryne 200km...

Or even the 160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Half the wall...

Btw the Mick Byrne not listed on the Audax Ireland calendar this year, and seemed to be down in doubt talking to the Sorrento lads after the dying cow.

Advertisement