Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Mick bryne 200km...

Cheers. Will keep an eye out for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Half the wall...

Btw the Mick Byrne not listed on the Audax Ireland calendar this year, and seemed to be down in doubt talking to the Sorrento lads after the dying cow.

Have only done the Dying Cow once but really enjoyed it. Far less lumpy than the WW200 but that hill up by the Dying Cow pub is right up there with the Wall or Cunard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Eamonnator wrote: »
    What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

No.
    What doesn't kill you on the bike makes you wish you were dead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

I consider doing the full ww200, but I can pack a sandwich myself and know how to fix my bike or arrange a pickup myself. In order not to look like a freeloader, I might cycle the route "the other way around". Did anyone else had this genius plan already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If you can do all that, come and do Audax. 200km +, a routesheet, no sh1te in a goody bag and some nice medals.

www.audaxireland.org

• Advertisement

marvin42 wrote: »
    I consider doing the full ww200, but I can pack a sandwich myself and know how to fix my bike or arrange a pickup myself. In order not to look like a freeloader, I might cycle the route "the other way around". Did anyone else had this genius plan already?

Wrong way around on the same day would be a bad idea as you'll be encountering huge groups of descending cyclists on your climbs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

smacl wrote: »
    Wrong way around on the same day would be a bad idea as you'll be encountering huge groups of descending cyclists on your climbs.
    And if you try and get into the food stop from the wrong direction I'll probably be there in my hi viz to turn you away

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    and by the same token, the descents would be awful as you'd be meeting loads of cyclists climbing the opposite direction so you wouldn't be able to open up.

and by the same token, the descents would be awful as you'd be meeting loads of cyclists climbing the opposite direction so you wouldn't be able to open up.

Yep, if I wasn't part of any busy sportive I'd just avoid those roads on the day, it's also a bit rude to the organizers whatever you think about the event. Even taking part in the WW200 I tend to pick my descents to avoid big groups I don't know as I've seen some rather 'interesting' lines and braking taken in the past that I'd rather not be too close to ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once went down snowtown during the GDBR, as the GDBR participants were coming up it (maybe three or four years ago). i would not repeat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Did no one mention that the weather is usually crappy. :D

2 years ago was glorious :)

Though either the year before or 2 years earlier was hellish...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Always a highlight of my sportive calendar.
    And.....and it has THE WALL
    And...and joy of joys.. The Sally Gap.....TWICE

Where is The Wall located (Google map location)? I think I know it (from the other side) but want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Roland27 wrote: »
    Where is The Wall located (Google map location)? I think I know it (from the other side) but want to be sure.

I think that is the wall or at least steeper part of it.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.1639884,-6.1922189/53.1598219,-6.1863009/@53.1624746,-6.1899846,16.22z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

strmin wrote: »
    That's what's in the Orwell Randonee. Full Wall includes both parts listed by mr spuckler. Top part isn't too bad, I'd do it fairly regularly. Surface generally ok enough to get out of the saddle, unlike cun(t)ard, where it can be mossy.

Descent down to the bottom of the full wall was pretty rough last time I did it (last summer iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Cheers lads. Looks pretty savage. Especially that second part. Reminds me of another climb I've heard dubbed 'the Wall' near Slane (though not nearly as tough) - https://www.strava.com/segments/1240349

As for the Wicklow 200, I've signed up, despite the big increase in cost. I can see why a lot a people would avoid it now, as its grown so big & so they can charge what they want, but for me I think it still holds a certain feeling or draw of being such a big challenge. I've done it a few times in the past but missed it last year (thanks Metallica), so very eager to challenge myself and do it again.

Wicklow 200 might come under pressure in 2020, with the price increase, and the new Great Belfast Bike Ride on the same day.
    I will probably head north and try this out, having done the W200 for the last number of years wouldn't mind trying something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....and they're using me to advertise it this year! Are they trying to put people off? :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/Wicklow200/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARDCcNQo9jQO7rluGufS20UUfsmv1lF-ONM9Kjgqqy2F2ka7bFQgwCN5so_OHaCHbHaoiMZU3wLtk1pk

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭lissard

.....and they're using me to advertise it this year! Are they trying to put people off? :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/Wicklow200/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARDCcNQo9jQO7rluGufS20UUfsmv1lF-ONM9Kjgqqy2F2ka7bFQgwCN5so_OHaCHbHaoiMZU3wLtk1pk

In keeping with the spirt of this years event I'd be looking for at least a 50% increase in your modelling fees ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lissard wrote: »
    In keeping with the spirt of this years event I'd be looking for at least a 50% increase in your modelling fees ;-)
    My agent is in negotiations as we speak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

€75 for a spin around Wicklow with a few sandwiches thrown in is absurd. Lining the pockets of the cabal that is the IVCA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

always been bit sub par, MB200 always far better regarded sad to hear that may be panned but Sorrento is a tiny club

Cond0r wrote: »
    €75 for a spin around Wicklow with a few sandwiches thrown in is absurd. Lining the pockets of the cabal that is the IVCA :pac:

Maybe if they didn't splash out on such high profile models they could cut the costs.... :pac:

lissard wrote: »
    jaysus, i read that as 'yodelling fees'.
    would be worth the €75 for that though.

jaysus, i read that as 'yodelling fees'.
    would be worth the €75 for that though.

Ok, now you have me imagining a "Sound of Music" themed sportive in the hills of Wickla. Not good. Time for a beer methinks, weight be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Looks like Elite Events are running the event this year, same crowd that runs, ring of beara, ride Dingle and quest events, so probably the reason for the price hike, their events tend to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deweybible

manafana wrote: »
    always been bit sub par, MB200 always far better regarded sad to hear that may be panned but Sorrento is a tiny club

Is the MB200 definitely not happening in 2020? Was really looking forward to doing it (had always signed up for Ring of Beara but giving it a miss this year). Sent an email ten days ago but havent heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

I signed up for it (my 4th) - I was hoping to do the MB200 instead, just for a different challenge, although I know a fair bit of the route is similar, but have also heard it's unlikely to go ahead this year which would be a pity.
    I live close enough to Bray (10km) to cycle to/from the start of the WW200, so having a sportive like this on my doorstep is handy from a travel/overnight point of view.
    Agree with the charge of the WW200 being increased year upon year putting it into the 'might reconsider' category, but i'll give it a bash this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Email during the week with a second "early bird" price of €70. I'm guessing that's not inclusive of the booking fee and insurance.

I don't recall a second bite of the cherry in previous years. Perhaps indicative that the price increase has put a lot of people off? I know it has in my case anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Just had a mail, think I'd rather my cash back in these uncertain times tbh. Theoretically I'm on holiday that weekend.

Hello,

We hope you are keeping well in these challenging times. We are contacting you to let you know that Wicklow 200 2020 is being postponed until Sunday 9th August. We are very disappointed to have to do this but as you can imagine, current circumstances, and the impact of Covid-19, mean we have no choice. You do not have to do anything, as a registered participant your entry will transfer directly to the new event, if you cannot make the new date please let us know by midnight on Wednesday 8th April and we will transfer you to next year's event.

Please be aware there is a possibility we will have to change the date again, as at this time it is impossible to know what lies ahead in the coming months. We really appreciate your patience and support throughout this difficult period.

We are adhering to the Irish Government's guidance and staying abreast of all advice being issued. Please rest assured we are working towards delivering a great event later in the year.

As always please get in touch at info@eliteevents.ie or 0876024621 if you have any questions.

Please take care and keep following Government advice,

The team at Wicklow 200

Advertisement