Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Fog lifting actually a bit in cork city and sun coming out for the sun set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Comparing to Portugal I saw the following online.....

'In fact, annual precipitation amounts to 1,450 mm (57 inches) in Braga and 1,100 millimeters (45 in) in Porto, while it drops to around 900 mm (35 in) in Coimbra, to 700 mm (27.5 in) in Lisbon, and to about 500 mm (20 in) in Algarve.'

It does look a bit like the algarve mid summer here sometimes alright:D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Patchy mist and fog throughout the day here. Found a glorious clear spot on the way to work between Charlestown and a few kilometres west of Ballaghaderreen this morning. Blue skies and a rising winter sun. It was heavenly but it wasn't long before I was driving back into the gloom again.
    Fog seriously thickening east of Castlebar now as the night draws in. Shaping up to be a really foggy one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very foggy with poor visibility in meath today, feeling cool now

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Fog has arrived back here in East Galway around sunset. It was quite something to hear the birds in the woods around dusk as the fog arrived. It sounded like a hive of activity in there. Their tweets were heard by us anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Somewhat mucky day, dry but foggy start and now foggy again with a brief weak sunny bit in the middle.

Has anyone got a view on the pattern of low pressure systems this Autumn/winter? The track seems to be overwhelmingly across the southern/eastern flanks, with the same but more pronounced in the UK with a steady stream of wet weather pushing up from Biscay/France.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Somewhat mucky day, dry but foggy start and now foggy again with a brief weak sunny bit in the middle.

Has anyone got a view on the pattern of low pressure systems this Autumn/winter? The track seems to be overwhelmingly across the southern/eastern flanks, with the same but more pronounced in the UK with a steady stream of wet weather pushing up from Biscay/France.

since September the jetstream has taken a slightly more southerly track, we've been on the cooler side of it much of the time and this has resulted in the heaviest of rains across southern and eastern Ireland, Wales, central and eastern England with up to 200% above normal rainfall in many of these areas and flooding at times. Central and eastern England has possibly had it even worse than us, they've had flooding alerts since October.

The north-west of Ireland and much of Scotland has not been hit nearly as bad with the rain and parts of Scotland are actually dryer than normal, due to the more southerly flow of the jet, this is my understanding of it anyway.

It appears that the jet is going to track further north again over the next few weeks, with milder air up from the south, so we may be at the peak of the deluges now. The next few weeks still look largely unsettled but perhaps not as wet as it has been over the past 3 to 4 months and we may build up areas of high pressure at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm sick of it, us residents of the Côte de South East are just not used to this!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm sick of it, us residents of the Cde South East are just not used to this!

I'm absolutely fed up with it too, normally all I wish for in Winter is snow, but for now I think a few weeks of dry weather is essential if we are to even begin drying out the saturated land. All the ditches in our area are full to bursting point with water and fields have been water logged since October. The council have been out numerous times to clear floods and improve drainage. It really has been excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has been very dull and wet in the west since the start of August when we had that day of the deluge. We got a good week in early/mid September and it has been poor since then. Very few blue sky days. A nice settled spell over Christmas/January wouldn't go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fortunate to have had such a bright sunny day here in Tralee getting up to 9.1C

The fog showed up well on NASA Sat pic today.

NVSDEbB.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Do you have a link by any chance for these satellite pics??
    Fortunate to have had such a bright sunny day here in Tralee getting up to 9.1C

The fog showed up well on NASA Sat pic today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Do you have a link by any chance for these satellite pics??

Sure. Great resource to explore.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very bad fog from early morning in Kildare today.

We escaped it Dublin but it was very severe then this evening. Very dense + cold fog.

Raining in Arklow now
    4.6c
    A 3c rise in the last hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

gfs 18z would bring a very frosty,cold seasonal christmas week with dazzling winter sunshine.

ukmintemp.png

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The sun wont be shining in the chamber in Newgrange today. Fog continues in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Fog warning for Ireland

Update: Fog will be slow to lift and will linger in some parts for much of Saturday. Becoming widespread and dense again on Saturday evening, but retreating to northern areas by Sunday morning.

Valid until Sunday 9 a.m.

Dense fog in cork city again this morning

https://twitter.com/trebography/status/1208325385127108613?s=19

Can't even see the city, only the water tank on the north side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Kutebride wrote: »
    The sun wont be shining in the chamber in Newgrange today. Fog continues in Meath.

Yeah actually seems to be getting worse in my area, feeling cold to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Mele Kalikimaka is the thing to say on a mild midgety Irish Christmas Day
    That's the island greeting that we send to you from the land where marigold flowers
    sway Here we know that Christmas will be green and soft.

Theres still a kick in the sun on these calm clear winter days,it reminds me of winters in Spain.
    should have the daffodil bulbs poping up now before new years eve,
    as it has become tradition.There are rose buds still blossoming in a sheltered corner of the garden.
    and to think some people deny climate change.Id imagine were one of the few locations in the northern hemisphere
    where that is possible.

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yeah actually seems to be getting worse in my area, feeling cold to

Ditto here in Galway for the 2nd day running now. Remarkable lack of wind this month, despite the odd blip.

New Moon

after some cool weather on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, looks like it's going to turn mild or exceptionally mild for at least a week. Temperatures could peak at 3 or 4C above normal around New Years which could get values on the ground to 13 or 14C. Some of the runs are going for +13 uppers over us which is very high for this time of the year.

If high pressure was to set up, this would still show a very mild temperature but on the ground inversion along with frosty nights would lower the daytime temperature significantly. Thankfully it doesn't look as wet as recent months, there will still be some rain or showers but the intense deluges look like they are over. Temperatures lower after New Years Day returning to more normal values.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-12-21&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Lovely sunny day in Arklow now
    2nd vit D top up in a row :)

still kinda foggy here in Meath, very calm and settled. I'd take this any day over the heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    after some cool weather on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, looks like it's going to turn mild or exceptionally mild for at least a week. Temperatures could peak at 3 or 4C above normal around New Years which could get values on the ground to 13 or 14C. Some of the runs are going for +13 uppers over us which is very high for this time of the year.

Why does it always have to get milder between Christmas Day and New Years in this country?! Every goddam year. Really grinds my gears.

esposito wrote: »
    Why does it always have to get milder between Christmas Day and New Years in this country?! Every goddam year. Really grinds my gears.

in the 80s the reverse usually happened, you could often bank on seeing frost or snow during the Christmas holidays once the big day itself was over. In fairness there has been very little mild here since October with temperatures in the single digits most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    in the 80s the reverse usually happened, you could often bank on seeing frost or snow during the Christmas holidays once the big day itself was over. In fairness there has been very little mild here since October with temperatures in the single digits most of the time.

I well believe it Gonzo. Even as a kid in the mid 90s in particular I remember some very cold frosty conditions between Christmas and New Years. That seems to be too much to ask for nowadays.

Fingers and everything else crossed that these mild conditions won’t last long and we’ll be into a much colder pattern change just after New Years Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Its like since we hit winter nirvana in dec 2010 wintry weather around xmas has become almost non existent. Its almost as if we are still paying back for 2010 .

Advertisement