Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options
  • 19-12-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭

Admin: Thread moved to CA at AH mods request.

CA forum rules apply, of which can be summed up concisely as "don't be a dick". You're welcome to discuss the topic, but any thinly veiled rants at the trans community, broad brush strokes of labelling trans people as having mental issues / are paedophiles etc, or any other attempts at being blatantly offensive will earn a threadban.

The latest victim of cancel culture is J. K. Rowling. She has been cancelled today for being a transphobe, or a TERF (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist).

Her crime, it seems was sticking up for a woman who had been fired from her job because that woman aired an opinion that a transsexual didn't approve of. That transexual then proceded to get in touch with the womans employer which resulted in her being fired.

The opinion this woman aired was that there were two biological sexes and that transgender women shouldn't be automatically granted permission to be in womens spaces such as womens bathroom's and women's changing rooms, because it may make biological women feel uncomfortable and unsafe.

There was a court case to determine whether it was an unfair dismissal, the result of which has created the battlefield for trans people and supporters of the fired woman to fight their social justic war against each other.

In all of this, J. K. Rowling seems to have picked up the blame for taking a side (the un"woke" side). She posted the following on social media.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1207646162813100033?s=20

Now she is cancelled and being labelled a transphobe. I find it very difficult to give my sympathy to trans people when this is the kind of carry on that their struggle bases itself around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cancelled where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Cancelled where?

Everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Cancelled where?

Nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Was she not cancelled ages ago for being a Tory?

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Was she not cancelled ages ago for being a Tory?

It's possible, I don't know. It's hard to keep up with outrage culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sheeps wrote: »
    Everywhere.

Nah, she's still going.

As a committed member of the LGBT community, I find what is happening re: gender/sex to be nothing short of appalling.

You cannot change biological sex. There is no standard for "feeling like a woman". I am a man, and I have no idea what "feeling like a man" is, so how can biologically-born women "feel" this?

Second, you cannot be born into stereotypes. Long hair, make-up, attraction to pink etc., are all social constructions. You cannot be born into a social construction.

Third, biological sex is XX and XY. There are some aberrations, such as Kleinfelters, XXY etc., but these are aberrations. The claim here is that biological men or women can switch chromosomal sex. It is not possible.

Fourth, this is the only trans- category that is taken seriously by society. For example - there are some people who are able-bodied, but believe they were "born disabled". There are some in society now arguing that we should have the State pay for these people to become disabled to meet their "mental image". This is the equivalent of saying to an anorexic person, "you are fine the way you are, it has nothing to do with mental dysphoria".

There are many trans- men/women who are equally as appalled by what is going on, especially regarding the gender identity question.

I, as a member of the LGBT community, get completely sidelined. When people speak to me privately about this issue, they agree with me. But they dare not say it in public.

An extremist identity politics minority have taken over. They are vocal and dangerous and are destroying societal norms as we know them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

What's this "cancelled" craic?

Sheeps wrote: »
    It's possible, I don't know. It's hard to keep up with outrage culture.

Well she should've been anyway considering a few of her dodge political opinions :^)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

What's this "cancelled" craic?

Load of old online American sh*te.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Glad she's cancelled her books are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well she should've been anyway considering a few of her dodge political opinions :^)

What are some of these opinions? I hadn't heard of any controversy in the past? Just rumblings of her being a big evil terf because of her daring to like some tweets standing up for women.

I'd say the extremists are delighted now they actually have a legitimate (to them) reason to bully and threaten her. I wonder if she'll get the standard "get raped/burn in a fire terf" treatment that is reserved for women given that she is so high profile? I'd say she's well able for it and hope she doesn't back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t understand people bringing up intersex folks as a point against Rowling. Intersex people can’t change their karyotype either and will generally phenotypically present as male or female.

I hope she doesn’t back down. She has clout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

T.U.R.F.

T.U.R.F. make good fire and feet warm

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I don’t understand people bringing up intersex folks as a point against Rowling. Intersex people can’t change their karyotype either and will generally phenotypically present as male or female.

Precisely.

It demonstrates that, like sheep responding to a message, they are merely responding in the belief that what they say is true, when in fact they have no idea what they're talking about.

Intersex is NOT the same as transgender.

Intersex is a recognition of biological and sexual differences that does not accord with the "norm". "Transgender" is the concept that you are born into the wrong biological body; a completely different set of circumstances.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What are some of these opinions? I hadn't heard of any controversy in the past? Just rumblings of her being a big evil terf because of her daring to like some tweets standing up for women.

I'd say the extremists are delighted now they actually have a legitimate (to them) reason to bully and threaten her

Well the assertion throughout her books that there's something wrong with muggles and witches/wizards being romantically involved. Pure bigotry!!!

Also pro Israel, anti Scottish independence among others I can't think of off the top of my head. Was joking about "cancelling" her though I do strongly disagree with her on many things including this latest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

She should just tell these lunatics to go and ****e

Precisely.

It demonstrates that, like sheep responding to a message, they are merely responding in the belief that what they say is true, when in fact they have no idea what they're talking about.

Intersex is NOT the same as transgender.

Intersex is a recognition of biological and sexual differences that does not accord with the "norm". "Transgender" is the concept that you are born into the wrong biological body; a completely different set of circumstances.

Yes, I’m confused at the two being treated synonymously.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    She should just tell these lunatics to go and ****e

I raised this kind of question in the LGBT forum, but even as a member of that community, that thread was closed because it was deemed in breach.

She's not "cancelled". :rolleyes: She said a thing, some people disagree with the thing and others agree with the thing.
    She still has her billions and her books aren't being burned en masse or removed from shelves.
    She can say whatever she wants but equally others can voice their disagreement and displeasure with the stance that she has taken.

• Advertisement

She's not "cancelled". :rolleyes: She said a thing, some people disagree with the thing and others agree with the thing.
    She still has her billions and her books aren't being burned en masse or removed from shelves.
    She can say whatever she wants but equally others can voice their disagreement and displeasure with the stance that she has taken.

That's where you're wrong.

Her expression of a personal opinion is now considered "transphobic"; the sexual equivalent of racist.

And with that tag, those opposed to her will make sure she suffers.

If it were equality of speech and expressions of mutual disagreement, I would agree with you. But because this issue is put on par with racism and genocide etc. - clear moral principles - it means that she is burying her own reputation.

People lobbing “Okay TERF” at her sound like utter morons though. You do not have to be a radical feminist to agree with her stance.

That's where you're wrong.

Her expression of a personal opinion is now considered "transphobic"; the sexual equivalent of racist.

And with that tag, those opposed to her will make sure she suffers.

Exactly this, and if we take the example of the woman she was voicing her support for, this labelling had very real concequences in that she lost her job.

Someone was so intollerant of the fact that another person on the internet had a differing opinion, that they sought out their employer to complain.

She's been hashtag cancelled a couple of times now and remains wildly rich and successful so I'm sure she'll be grand this time too like

She's been hashtag cancelled a couple of times now and remains wildly rich and successful so I'm sure she'll be grand this time too like

That's almost irrelevant.

What about everyone else in society -- who can't fall back on many millions of dollars?

She may weather the storm, many more will not.

And that's grossly unfair.

That's almost irrelevant.

What about everyone else in society -- who can't fall back on many millions of dollars?

She may weather the storm, many more will not.

And that's grossly unfair.

Pardon me, I thought the thread was about JK Rowling not everyone else in society, based on the title and first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The media that is there to divide and breed hate gives the most obnoxious voices an absurd amount of false weight. Case and point: even just on Twitter, her comment has close to 100,000 likes - in agreement, we can take it. Again, on Twitter alone. But because media articles are elevating to the sky and above the angry comments attacking her and making her out to be a Nazi - the made-up feeling is that she is being "cancelled" and attacked from all sides.

Regardless of who said it, there is no way getting around the fact - the media is truly the enemy of the people. It thrives only on hatred and division, or else it doesn't get clicks, and it doesn't eat, and it doesn't live. The media is as close to a literal demon as you can possibly get.

The_Brood wrote: »
    The media that is there to divide and breed hate gives the most obnoxious voices an absurd amount of false weight. Case and point: even just on Twitter, her comment has close to 100,000 likes - in agreement, we can take it. Again, on Twitter alone. But because media articles are elevating to the sky and above the angry comments attacking her and making her out to be a Nazi - the made-up feeling is that she is being "cancelled" and attacked from all sides.

Regardless of who said it, there is no way getting around the fact - the media is truly the enemy of the people. It thrives only on hatred and division, or else it doesn't get clicks, and it doesn't eat, and it doesn't live. The media is as close to a literal demon as you can possibly get.

The fundamental question is -- is she right!?

If so, does she deserve to be punished regardless.

And yes, the thread is about her, a multimillionaire, but there are many millions of more ordinary people out there who may suffer the same kind of wrath who don't have wealth to fall back on.
    Pardon me, I thought the thread was about JK Rowling not everyone else in society, based on the title and first post.

See above. Yes, it's about her, but her opinion is a reflection of one widely held in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Harrry will wave his wand and the bad guys will disappear,then all will be right with the world again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Hilarious to see the left cannibalise each other

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement