Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football Team of the decade

• 11-12-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Its that time-apologies if Im repeating but don't see a thread on it.

Heres my team for what its worth

1-Cluxton
    2-P.McMahon
    3-N McGee
    4-K. Higgins
    5-L. Keegan
    6-C. O Sullivan
    7-J. McCaffrey
    8-B. Fenton
    9-D. Moran
    10-P.Flynn
    11-A.O Shea
    12-D. Connolly
    13-B. Brogan
    14-M. Murphy
    15-C. O Connor

Subs
    16-P. Durcan
    17-J. Cooper
    18-K. Lacey
    19-J. McCarthy
    20-C. Boyle
    21-N. Gallagher
    22- R.McHugh
    23-M. Donnelly
    24-C. Kilkenny
    25-P. Geaney
    26-C. McManus

Obviously, its subjective, and there are some ommissions whic some would consider criminal but thats my 15 and subs fwiw.

Feel free to disagree...

Comments

James McCarthy:
    6 All Irelands, 9 Provincials, 5 Leagues, 1 U-21 All-Ireland, 3 all-stars
    A stalwart in defence, the lynchpin of (possibly) the greatest footballing team of all time. A true gentleman and great sportsman.......

......benched........

....in favor of..............

A man who is the highest scoring defender of all time, but whose achievements are overshadowed by one of the least sporting acts I've ever seen on a pitch.

lee-keegan-speaks-on-gps-throwing-incident-from-all-ireland-final.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Keegan has more all stars and a footballer of the year playing with a less successul team and iff you are playing the moral card then I assume you dont agree with Philly McMahon corner back or Diarmuid Connolly wing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

James mccarthy in for cian ilisullivan maybe,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm on my phone. Can someone please post a popcorn gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Here ya go.

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    Its that time-apologies if Im repeating but don't see a thread on it.

Heres my team for what its worth

1-Cluxton
    2-P.McMahon
    3-N McGee
    4-K. Higgins
    5-L. Keegan
    6-C. O Sullivan
    7-J. McCaffrey
    8-B. Fenton
    9-D. Moran
    10-P.Flynn
    11-A.O Shea
    12-D. Connolly
    13-B. Brogan
    14-M. Murphy
    15-C. O Connor

Subs
    16-P. Durcan
    17-J. Cooper
    18-K. Lacey
    19-J. McCarthy
    20-C. Boyle
    21-N. Gallagher
    22- R.McHugh
    23-M. Donnelly
    24-C. Kilkenny
    25-P. Geaney
    26-C. McManus

Obviously, its subjective, and there are some ommissions whic some would consider criminal but thats my 15 and subs fwiw.

Feel free to disagree...

Are my sums off, but do Donegal have 5 of the 30 spots, just one less than Mayo? That seems a tad generous, given they only played in 2 AI finals this decade & didn't take Dublin, Kerry or Mayo to any replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cluxton

McMahon
    Mcgee
    Higgins

Keegan
    O'Sullivan
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    James McCarthy

Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly

Mcmanus
    M Murphy
    B Brogan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Cluxton, McCarthy, Fenton are automatic choices, finding it hard to decide which 12 Dubs should join them with only Keegan and Murphy as challengers from outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

S Cluxton
    J Cooper N McGee K Higgins
    L Keegan K Lacey J McCaffrey
    B Fenton D Moran
    C Kilkenny M Murphy P Flynn
    B Brogan A Moran C McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Cluxton
    Lacey, McGee, Higgins
    McCarthy, Keegan, Mcaffery
    Fenton, Moran
    Flynn, M. Murphy, Kilkenny
    McManus, Moran, Brogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Struggling to understand how David Moran can make such a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

blanch152 wrote: »
    Cluxton, McCarthy, Fenton are automatic choices, finding it hard to decide which 12 Dubs should join them with only Keegan and Murphy as challengers from outside Dublin.
    McManus would be a non-negotiable too, some of his scores over the years have been outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Connolly wouldnt even make the Dublin team of the decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

2 Mayo forwards is interesting! The only one I'd even consider is Andy Moran - and that's coming from a Mayo man

Would love to fit Colm Boyle in there somewhere.

And McMahon over Lacey? McMahon had a great 2015 but I'm not even sure if he was ever a fully guaranteed starter outside of that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are my sums off, but do Donegal have 5 of the 30 spots, just one less than Mayo? That seems a tad generous, given they only played in 2 AI finals this decade & didn't take Dublin, Kerry or Mayo to any replays.

They also won an AI and Donegal beat Kerry, Dublin and Mayo in significant games in 2012-14.

Personally probably add Colm McFadden to list of players as he was definition of big game player. Ryan McHugh maybe remove.
    jr86 wrote: »
    2 Mayo forwards is interesting! The only one I'd even consider is Andy Moran - and that's coming from a Mayo man

O'Connor numbers can't be ignored. I think people tend to forget what Mayo were like pre Cillian O Connor in front of goal.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    If you are playing the moral card then I assume you dont agree with Philly McMahon corner back or Diarmuid Connolly wing forward.

As has already been pointed out, Connolly wouldn't make the Dubs starting forward line of the last decade. Not sure what the Philly Mc comment is about, the only crime he's guilty of is crimes against fashion with his velvet suit and no socks. Unless you're talking about the supposed eye-gouge against Donaghy.....? Laughable to compare an accidental contact in a three-man tussle with a calculated, deliberate attempt to illegally interfere with the potentially winning play in a championship final. There are people on Boards who lambast the Dublin fans for booing a free being taken. Imagine the scandal if someone threw something at a player taking a kick.

I said it at the time and will repeat it now: If ANY dub had done what Keegan did we would never hear the end of it. Scumbag tactics and he gets a pass because he was a tidy enough footballer? Dirty Dubs me bollix.
    Keegan has more all stars and a footballer of the year playing with a less successul team

Much easier to spot a daisy in a field when there's only one daisy than when it's in a field of daisies. Ask yourself, which do you think is the more likely to be based in reality:

a. McCarthy lying awake at night wishing he had picked up more all-stars or maybe even a footballer of the year award........or
    b. Keegan lying awake wishing he'd a celtic cross to his name?

I know which one my money is on.

I said it at the time and will repeat it now: If ANY dub had done what Keegan did we would never hear the end of it. Scumbag tactics and he gets a pass because he was a tidy enough footballer? Dirty Dubs me bollix.

Much easier to spot a diamond when it's surrounded by sh!te than when it's surrounded by diamonds. Ask yourself, which do you think is the more likely to be based in reality:

a. McCarthy lying awake at night wishing he had picked up more all-stars or maybe even a footballer of the year award........or

I’d agree what Keegan did with the GPS was despicable.

I don’t understand the ‘surrounded by sh!te’ remark though. He played in a back six with Harrison, Higgins, Boyle and Durcan who are / were exceptional footballers.

I’d agree what Keegan did with the GPS was despicable.

I don’t understand the ‘surrounded by sh!te’ remark though. He played in a back six with Harrison, Higgins, Boyle and Durcan who are / were exceptional footballers.

I was being hyperbolic and mean no disrespect to the Mayo back line(s). I'll edit my post if it causes offence.

My point is that it's easier to stand out when your teammates aren't as good. When you're surrounded by other world class players your contributions tend to get undervalued. The fact that JMcC was the first outfield player's name on the teamsheet during the past 7 or so years when competition was unbelievably fierce is testament to how good (and underrated) he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Keegan is one of the best players of the decade never mind defenders, McMahon is not.

O'Sullivan, McCaffrey, McCarthy and Cooper for me anyway were the best Dublin defenders of last decade.

I was being hyperbolic and mean no disrespect to the Mayo back line(s). I'll edit my post if it causes offence.

My point is that it's easier to stand out when your teammates aren't as good. When you're surrounded by other world class players your contributions tend to get undervalued. The fact that JMcC was the first outfield player's name on the teamsheet during the past 7 or so years when competition was unbelievably fierce is testament to how good (and underrated) he is.

Not offended at all, I’m not from mayo. I’d have both Keegan and McCarthy on my team personally, along with Jack McCaffrey they are the outstanding half backs of the decade.

Boyle and Durcan would be very close though for me. That Mayo half back line was really good and underpinned an excellent team that really should have won an all Ireland imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Cluxton

O'Sullivan/Cooper
    McGee
    Higgins

Keegan
    Lacey
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    McCarthy

Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly

McManus
    Murphy
    B.Brogan

The half-back line all won FOTY in this decade, so shifting McCarthy to midfield addresses the issue of a partner for Fenton. The only difficult decision, for me anyway, is who to pick as the other corner-back. Toss up between O'Sullivan and Cooper, but it could be argued that the former was more of a sweeper.

As a hobby (some people call it weird :D) I compiled a team of the decade for each of the prominent decades of my life (90s, 00s and 10s) and see how they compare. By county breakdown, Dublin have had more individual players this decade than any other county in any of the two other eras, which reflects their dominance and class.

FWIW:

90s: O'Leary; Curran, Fay, Scullion; Moynihan, Ryan, O'Connell; Tohill, McDermott; Donnellan, Giles, Fallon; Linden, Canavan, Fitzgerald.
    00s: D.Murphy; A.Mallon, M.O'Se, T.O'Sullivan; T.O'Se, McGeeney, Jordan; D.O'Se, Cavanagh; Dooher, Cooper, Declan O'Sullivan; McDonnell, O'Neill, Forde.

That 90s full-forward line though!

As has already been pointed out, Connolly wouldn't make the Dubs starting forward line of the last decade. Not sure what the Philly Mc comment is about, the only crime he's guilty of is crimes against fashion with his velvet suit and no socks. Unless you're talking about the supposed eye-gouge against Donaghy.....? Laughable to compare an accidental contact in a three-man tussle with a calculated, deliberate attempt to illegally interfere with the potentially winning play in a championship final. There are people on Boards who lambast the Dublin fans for booing a free being taken. Imagine the scandal if someone threw something at a player taking a kick.

Much easier to spot a daisy in a field when there's only one daisy than when it's in a field of daisies. Ask yourself, which do you think is the more likely to be based in reality:

You can play the woe is me and the great defender of Dublin with the massive chip on his shoulder all you like, doesn't alter the fact that anyone who doesn't include Keegan in a team of the decade is not worth debating with.

You can play the woe is me and the great defender of Dublin with the massive chip on his shoulder all you like, doesn't alter the fact that anyone who doesn't include Keegan in a team of the decade is not worth debating with.

I never said he shouldn't be in the team. I said starting a player who has proved he cannot keep the head when the chips are down ahead of McCarthy is the wrong move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cluxton

McMahon
    N.McGee
    Lacey

Keegan
    Boyle
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    McCarthy

Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly

McManus
    Murphy
    B.Brogan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    They also won an AI and Donegal beat Kerry, Dublin and Mayo in significant games in 2012-14.

Personally probably add Colm McFadden to list of players as he was definition of big game player. Ryan McHugh maybe remove.

Yeah, but this is the team of the decade. Donegal only had 3 years of really sustained excellence - 2011, 2012 & 2014. They have done very little in the AI champo in the 5 years since 2014. Whereas Mayo have made it to the semifinals every year this decade (except 2018) & they have taken the eventual AI champions to a replay in many of those years. So I just don't see how they merit one fewer spot than Donegal.

I never said he shouldn't be in the team. I said starting a player who has proved he cannot keep the head when the chips are down ahead of McCarthy is the wrong move.

So he should be in the team? You seem awful confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Gael85 wrote: »
    Cluxton

McMahon
    N.McGee
    Lacey

Keegan
    Boyle
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    McCarthy

Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly

McManus
    Murphy
    B.Brogan

Higgins in for Lacey and that would be my team

What a front 6 :D

Would love to fit Andy Moran & Gary Brennan in but couldn't leave anyone else out

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Cluxton

As a hobby (some people call it weird :D) I compiled a team of the decade for each of the prominent decades of my life (90s, 00s and 10s) and see how they compare. By county breakdown, Dublin have had more individual players this decade than any other county in any of the two other eras, which reflects their dominance and class.

FWIW:

90s: O'Leary; Curran, Fay, Scullion; Moynihan, Ryan, O'Connell; Tohill, McDermott; Donnellan, Giles, Fallon; Linden, Canavan, Fitzgerald.
    00s: D.Murphy; A.Mallon, M.O'Se, T.O'Sullivan; T.O'Se, McGeeney, Jordan; D.O'Se, Cavanagh; Dooher, Cooper, Declan O'Sullivan; McDonnell, O'Neill, Forde.

That 90s full-forward line though!

The 00s front 6.....the 00s half back line......but the 8 & 9 for both decades are the ones that make those teams for me, ya wouldn't get a sniff off either pair!

I find it very odd that we have 13 individual forwards named and no mention of Colm Cooper. Recency bias the only logical explanation I can think of. Cooper in the early part of the decade was unplayable at times.

• Advertisement

So he should be in the team? You seem awful confused!

I'm perfectly fine, thanks. It is you who seems to have difficulty in grasping the difference between "Panel" and "Starting 15".

Advertisement