Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Team of the decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'm perfectly fine, thanks. It is you who seems to have difficulty in grasping the difference between "Panel" and "Starting 15".

Stop embarrassing yourself and admit you made a booboo, everyone will have more respect for you if you do so, and it's the correct thing to do and we know that you are all about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Not a lot of love for MDMA around here? In his pomp he was an extremely effective player in the earlier part of the decade

I guess people only really judge him on his football ability though
    Cluxton

O'Sullivan/Cooper
    McGee
    Higgins

Keegan
    Lacey
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    McCarthy

Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly

McManus
    Murphy
    B.Brogan

The half-back line all won FOTY in this decade, so shifting McCarthy to midfield addresses the issue of a partner for Fenton. The only difficult decision, for me anyway, is who to pick as the other corner-back. Toss up between O'Sullivan and Cooper, but it could be argued that the former was more of a sweeper.

Brilliant, you saved me all the hassle! Superb selection
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    I find it very odd that we have 13 individual forwards named and no mention of Colm Cooper. Recency bias the only logical explanation I can think of. Cooper in the early part of the decade was unplayable at times.

I suppose he didn't win an all ireland in the decade as a player, and only made 3 semis (2 finals but one where he was well past his pomp) so he wasn't as prominent in this decade I guess

he still merits inclusion over some players selected though

James McCarthy.......

......benched........

....in favor of..............

[pic of Keegan]
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    Stop embarrassing yourself and admit you made a booboo, everyone will have more respect for you if you do so, and it's the correct thing to do and we know that you are all about that.

Wtf are you banging on about...?

Here's my original post. Nowhere did I say anything about him not being included in the team. I questioned why he was in the starting lineup ahead of McCarthy. Just admit you made a mistake and everyone will have more respect for you.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    O'Connor numbers can't be ignored. I think people tend to forget what Mayo were like pre Cillian O Connor in front of goal.

I mean he's fine, but not a forward who is ever going to terrify defences in the Brogan, Mcmanus mould. Some years he has been plainly ineffective for the most part outside of frees

As I say the only Mayo forward I would even consider is Andy Moran. The fact he was only a bit part player some seasons probably counts against him but in 2012 (until the cruciate) and 2017 he was borderline unplayable (he certainly hit a level O'Connor has never reached). Even in 2013 where he was coming off the cruciate injury he still bagged a few scores in the All Ireland final when all around him were underperforming

I said starting a player who has proved he cannot keep the head when the chips are down ahead of McCarthy is the wrong move.
    Wtf are you banging on about...?

Here's my original post. Nowhere did I say anything about him not being included in the team. I questioned why he was in the starting lineup ahead of McCarthy. Just admit you made a mistake and everyone will have more respect for you.

So starting Keegan would be the wrong move but you would have him in your team :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I was querying why the OP would bench McCarthy and start Keegan. I don't know how many more different ways I can spell that out for you. Did you have difficulties with reading comprehension in school?

Maybe I'm just a diamond surrounded by ****e as you so eloquently put it!

Apologies OP for derailing your thread, had actually forgotten about the ignore function until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Cluxton
    Boyle McGhee Higgins
    Keegan Cian O Sullivan Jack MNcCaffrey
    A O Shea Brian Fenton
    PAul Flynn Paul Mannion Ciaran Kilkenny
    Cillian O Connor Michael Murphy Colm Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Stephen Cluxton

Johnny Cooper Neil McGee Keith Higgins

Lee Keegan Karl Lacey Jack McCaffery

Brian Fenton James McCarthy

Paul Flynn Colm Cooper Diarmuid Connolly

Conor McManus Michael Murphy Bernard Brogan

Dublin - 8
    Donegal - 3
    Mayo - 2
    Monaghan -1
    Kerry - 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

jr86 wrote: »
    I mean he's fine, but not a forward who is ever going to terrify defences in the Brogan, Mcmanus mould. Some years he has been plainly ineffective for the most part outside of frees

As I say the only Mayo forward I would even consider is Andy Moran. The fact he was only a bit part player some seasons probably counts against him but in 2012 (until the cruciate) and 2017 he was borderline unplayable (he certainly hit a level O'Connor has never reached). Even in 2013 where he was coming off the cruciate injury he still bagged a few scores in the All Ireland final when all around him were underperforming

Not arguing that O'Connor wasn't explosive forward like those mentioned but I think like Rock his free taking kind of overshadows his scoring from play for many but both have strong records from open play too.

O'Connors numbers overall is why you couldn't leave him out. He has 115 points from open play in the championship and 259 points from placed balls. That's insane levels of scoring in hurling never mind football.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Keith Higgins is overrated,he's good going forward but he's not a great defender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Cluxton
    Fitzsimons
    McGee
    Higgins
    McCarthy
    Keegan
    McCaffrey
    McAuley
    Murphy
    Flynn
    Harte
    Kilkenny
    Andy Moran
    McManus
    B Brogan

Omitted Fenton on the basis he only made his debut in 2015 and this is for the whole decade (or at least more than half of it - despite his impressive medals/accolades) and I omitted O'Connor on the basis of a huge amount of his scores were from frees or against the likes of London or New York and missed crucial frees at pressure times..

Unlucky to miss out Cillian O'Connor, Johnny Cooper, Brian Fenton, Colm Cavanagh, and Colm Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cluxton
    Cooper
    McGee
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Lacey
    McCaffrey
    Fenton
    McCarthy
    Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly
    Brogan
    Murphy
    McManus

Many other worthy candidates Fitzsimmons,McMahon,O Sullivan,Boyle,Durcan,Gallagher,McAuley,Moran,Cooper,Moran,O Connor,Geaney,Mannion,Mc Fadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Keith Higgins is overrated,he's good going forward but he's not a great defender

Thank jesus someone said it. Brilliant athlete, fine attacker, very average corner back.

FWIW
    1.Cluxton
    2.Cooper
    3.COS
    4.Fitzsimons
    5.McCarthy
    6.Keegan/Boyle
    7.McCaffrey
    8.Fenton
    9.MDMA/Gallagher
    10.Flynn
    11.Kilkenny
    12.Connolly
    13.McManus
    14.Murphy
    15.Brogan

Lots of Dubs but they have swept all before them this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are my sums off, but do Donegal have 5 of the 30 spots, just one less than Mayo? That seems a tad generous, given they only played in 2 AI finals this decade & didn't take Dublin, Kerry or Mayo to any replays.

They actually won an All Ireland. And beat Mayo in the final. And beat Jim Gavins Dublin. They have 5 Ulster titles - the toughest province. Mayo are chokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, but this is the team of the decade. Donegal only had 3 years of really sustained excellence - 2011, 2012 & 2014. They have done very little in the AI champo in the 5 years since 2014. Whereas Mayo have made it to the semifinals every year this decade (except 2018) & they have taken the eventual AI champions to a replay in many of those years. So I just don't see how they merit one fewer spot than Donegal.

How are you picking Mayo as the point of your outrage instead of Kerry? Kerry only had 2 in his 26 and are the clear second best performing county of the decade. It's a toss up for Donegal and Mayo for distant third

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

corny wrote: »
    Thank jesus someone said it. Brilliant athlete, fine attacker, very average corner back.

FWIW
    1.Cluxton
    2.Cooper
    3.COS
    4.Fitzsimons
    5.McCarthy
    6.Keegan/Boyle
    7.McCaffrey
    8.Fenton
    9.MDMA/Gallagher
    10.Flynn
    11.Kilkenny
    12.Connolly
    13.McManus
    14.Murphy
    15.Brogan

Lots of Dubs but they have swept all before them this decade.

At the start of this decade (2011 to 2014) Higgins was a top defender worthy of his All stars but the last few years he's been a fading force in regards to defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ah now Higgins was a great defender in his prime. He's been getting some roastings in recent years alright but he is 34 after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

doc_17 wrote: »
    They actually won an All Ireland. And beat Mayo in the final. And beat Jim Gavins Dublin. They have 5 Ulster titles - the toughest province. Mayo are chokers.

Donegal got the all stars in 2012 to reflect their All Ireland win. This is a team of the decade and Mayo have beaten Donegal 3 times in championship games. Donegal were also relegated to division 2 twice this decade.

The toughest province to win is the one with Dublin in it.

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Donegal got the all stars in 2012 to reflect their All Ireland win. This is a team of the decade and Mayo have beaten Donegal 3 times in championship games. Donegal were also relegated to division 2 twice this decade.

The toughest province to win is the one with Dublin in it.

Which Dublin won every year bar one. Nothing Donegal, Mayo or Kerry can do about that. Mayo beat Donegal 3 times, but what did they win? Nothing. And how AOS can even be considered is hilarious. He goes missing in the the big games.

At the start of this decade (2011 to 2014) Higgins was a top defender worthy of his All stars but the last few years he's been a fading force in regards to defending.

Like the time James O'Donoghue turned him inside out but he still came away with credit? 2014 was it?

He was a top player who could play anywhere and look comfortable but best corner back 2010-2019...not a hope. Player i greatly admire though.

Which Dublin won every year bar one. Nothing Donegal, Mayo or Kerry can do about that. Mayo beat Donegal 3 times, but what did they win? Nothing. And how AOS can even be considered is hilarious. He goes missing in the the big games.

In a previous post you made the case for more Donegal players based on the fact they beat Jim Gavin's Dublin. In case you've forgotten that win also counted for nothing as Donegal flopped in the final.

Like the time James O'Donoghue turned him inside out but he still came away with credit? 2014 was it?

He was a top player who could play anywhere and look comfortable but best corner back 2010-2019...not a hope. Player i greatly admire though.

To be fair donoghue was as close to unplayable as you can get in 2014. That was actually a great battle that day, Higgins defended as well as he could I thought.

Ever since though he has been definitely declining defensively and I guess that does cover a sizeable chunk of the decade.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How are you picking Mayo as the point of your outrage instead of Kerry? Kerry only had 2 in his 26 and are the clear second best performing county of the decade. It's a toss up for Donegal and Mayo for distant third

Not sure there's a whole lot between Kerry and Mayo. I know Kerry have an all Ireland win but that semi was a complete coin toss against Mayo. They were on an extremely similar level that year and probably for the two years after that until Mayo beat them in 2017

Kerry from 2010-2011 and 2018-19 were certainly better though, 2012 would have been close and 2013 was probably another one where mayo might have shaded it.

So overall Kerry win about 4 seasons, mayo 2 imo. 2012,14, 15,16 are all extremely tight.

To be fair donoghue was as close to unplayable as you can get in 2014. That was actually a great battle that day, Higgins defended as well as he could I thought.

Yeah that was the narrative set by RTE on the day. I didn't agree then and i still don't now. O'Donoghue didn't score in the final. He wouldn't have got change out of Dublin either had they won the other semi. He never does.

Higgins' ball watching in the replay (and the first game) cost Mayo the game and it was completely ignored in the aftermath. Got one or two blocks in and everyone ignored the fact he gave his man acres of room to operate. O'Donoghue was all wrong for him because he's as lively as they come with his movement. A good corner back is diligent in controlling that though. That was never Keith Higgins.

Poor Ger Cafferkey was the only Mayo defender you were allowed criticise. The rest found praise (and All Stars) easy to come by.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    In a previous post you made the case for more Donegal players based on the fact they beat Jim Gavin's Dublin. In case you've forgotten that win also counted for nothing as Donegal flopped in the final.

They beat the best team that ever played the game. And Mayo beat Pat Gilroy’s Dublin in 2012 semi and flopped in the final. So you’re arguing against yourself. Donegal won an AI and 5 Ulsters. However many anyone thinks they should have on it they deserve more than Mayo, less than Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Not sure there's a whole lot between Kerry and Mayo. I know Kerry have an all Ireland win but that semi was a complete coin toss against Mayo. They were on an extremely similar level that year and probably for the two years after that until Mayo beat them in 2017

Kerry from 2010-2011 and 2018-19 were certainly better though, 2012 would have been close and 2013 was probably another one where mayo might have shaded it.

So overall Kerry win about 4 seasons, mayo 2 imo. 2012,14, 15,16 are all extremely tight.

Kerry gave them two right pastings this decade though. They both had one win versus each otger besides those, both after replays. Kerry way more consistent too in province, where Connacht was a basket case early and tough later in, the inverse was true of Munster. By every metric it's comfortably Kerry second really. Even at their lowest point, and one of Mayo's highs (2017), Kerry still drew them and were 2/5 to win the replay. Anyone can have a poor day out. And that's the only season you can really point to as Mayo being on top

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah that was the narrative set by RTE on the day. I didn't agree then and i still don't now. O'Donoghue didn't score in the final. He wouldn't have got change out of Dublin either had they won the other semi. He never does.

Higgins' ball watching in the replay (and the first game) cost Mayo the game and it was completely ignored in the aftermath. Got one or two blocks in and everyone ignored the fact he gave his man acres of room to operate. O'Donoghue was all wrong for him because he's as lively as they come with his movement. A good corner back is diligent in controlling that though. That was never Keith Higgins.

Poor Ger Cafferkey was the only Mayo defender you were allowed criticise. The rest found praise (and All Stars) easy to come by.

JOD scored something like 2-3 v Dublin in a classic semi the previous year so I don’t know how you make out he never got change from Dublin

He played around the middle in a very different role in that 2014 final which is the main reason he didn’t score

• Advertisement

They beat the best team that ever played the game. And Mayo beat Pat Gilroy’s Dublin in 2012 semi and flopped in the final. So you’re arguing against yourself. Donegal won an AI and 5 Ulsters. However many anyone thinks they should have on it they deserve more than Mayo, less than Kerry.

You're the one arguing with yourself by saying none of Mayo's wins count for anything but Donegal beating Dublin in 2014 does. Also, that 2014 Dublin team was not the greatest, Dublin were at their peak around 2017 vs Tyrone. In my opinion all wins in big championship games should count for something. Otherwise someone like Conor McManus could never be considered.

A few people are missing the point of team of the decade. It should reward players who perform consistently well over the 10 year period. Just because Kerry were strong throughout doesn't guaruntee them a quota of players on the team. Gooch was as good as anyone at the start of the decade but not throughout. Same with Clifford the last 2 years and O'Donoghue in 2014. Geaney and David Moran are the only 2 who could be considered really and even still they only had 3 or 4 excellent seasons. Nothing against Kerry, it just so happens they've had a big turnover in players the last few years.

Advertisement