Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

washiskin wrote: »
    Let's see if the recent tone when adressing the myriad societal problems will adjust now tbe top 10 salaries are saved.

Will they f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,663 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd would be fair embarrassed demanding the license fee be changed to a media charge knowing the state of the player. i.e. it doesn't actually work

Dee won't be sticking around for the shítshow, gone in the New Year I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cut the whole damn thing to one tv station, one radio station and no orchestra or any of that crap.

Ban them from buying in any content.

Increase advertising fees.

Make the player a subscription only affair, after they manage to make it somewhat functional of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Japers.
    Netflix is optional. You can watch what you want whenever you want. They create award winning original content. If you don't want it you don't get a summons.

RTE, home made filler and bought in yank tripe you can watch elsewhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Brian wrote: »
    Cut the whole damn thing to one tv station, one radio station and no orchestra or any of that crap.

Make the player a subscription only affair, after they manage to make it somewhat functional of course.

uyou would need 2 tv stations. rte 1 for the ps programming and another channel for the children's programming.
    1 radio station would be far from enough also. 99% of the radio stations actually do serve a purpose to be fair.
    the player should also remain free at the point of use, given people already pay the license.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Buys them time.
    I hope they spend it well.
    It's better than running the show into the ground.

I believe in Public Service Broadcasting and I think it is too important to be left wither on the vine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You need more than one station

So RTE 1 - cover all topics
    RTE Junior for kids
    RTE news serves a purpose
    RTE + 1, well who cares :D

If you ban them from buying content then a lot of people will suffer as they will be forced to go paid tv. Reduce the amount of content purchased. Strike up deals with ITV/BBC to share content. Thats what Virgin etc do.

Dump 2FM would be a huge saving on its own. A radio station which in reality serves little to no purpose

From what I am reading they have two orchestra's? or fund two? seems a bit over the top. I would like to see one kept if two. If not then keep one.

Location, do we really need RTE in one of the most expensive parts of Dublin? Why not sell it up and move to outskirts. Its not like they are flying in guests that want to stay in Dublin city centre, most guests arrive up from the canteen

Just some idea's....I am sure if you dig deep enough the benefits packages etc are far better than anyone else in a similar industry job.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Location, do we really need RTE in one of the most expensive parts of Dublin?

Does it really matter considering they own it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

elperello wrote: »
    Buys them time.

I believe in Public Service Broadcasting and I think it is too important to be left wither on the vine.

On that note they have a duty to run it well and provide a certain level of quality. Currently and traditionally they phone it in and employ their own.
    Simply hiding behind the genuine arguments for public broadcasting isn't enough in and of itself.

Boggles wrote: »

I think it should stay put.
    The costs involved in any move would probably outweigh any profits from a sale.

It's in the right place for a dynamic national pbs.
    We just need to use this breathing space to provide that.
    It's a site looking for a station, no point turning the narrative into a station looking for a site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Boggles wrote: »

No but they are hugely in debt

If they could sell it off and move down the road plus make a few million why not?

TV3 was out in Ballymount, didn’t seem to hurt their progression

It’s an idea, that’s all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If they could sell it off and move down the road plus make a few million why not?

TV3 was out in Ballymount, didn’t seem to hurt their progression

It’s an idea, that’s all

it's an idea, but i'm not so sure it would actually go anyway to putting a dent in their debt.
    remember they would have to re-equip the new building to an extent as they would need to keep the existing setup on air while they move, or maybe even build a new building as well that would be suitable. that would probably make a serious dent.
    there really is no comparison between tv3 and rte tbh. rte is a big multi channel operation. tv3, now virgin media is a multichannel operator but buys in nearly all, if not all of it's programming, so a small campus is fine for it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Because it would probably cost 5 times it should do. Or whatever the multiplier is when public money is paying for stuff.

Stay put and sell off the lands they don't need is the cheapest option in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Japers.
    Netflix is optional. You can watch what you want whenever you want. They create award winning original content. If you don't want it you don't get a summons.

RTE, home made filler and bought in yank tripe you can watch elsewhere anyway.

And worse than that they use the Irish public as a personal piggy bank to fund a an organisation used to give their talent-less relatives jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Dee reckons that the licence fee is good value compared to what other competitors like Netflix are offering.

What planet is she on? RTcontinues to serve up subpar content at an extortionate cost to the taxpayer.

Guess she's never seen Netflix so, if she thinks that rte is even in the same century as Netflix never mind decade.

House of cards Vs fair sh1tty. Riiiighhhht.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If RTE is as much value for money as Dee claims, why the need to try new ways to force people to pay? Surely people would have no issue paying for this fantastic value service?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

"Cash-strapped RTÉ is set to splash out up to €200,000 on five new top-of-the-range 4x4 vehicles...."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/troubled-broadcaster-rt-to-spend-up-to-200000-on-five-new-4x4s-38773706.html

Good to see them spending money again wisely.

bdogg wrote: »
    "Cash-strapped RTÉ is set to splash out up to €200,000 on five new top-of-the-range 4x4 vehicles...."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/troubled-broadcaster-rt-to-spend-up-to-200000-on-five-new-4x4s-38773706.html

Ah sure that's only about half a Joe Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

They are completely out of touch with reality tbh. You could go out and buy 5 second hand SUV's in really good nick for 50k if you did your homework. How can they get away with this kind of stuff it's complete insanity they are still funded by the hard pressed tax payers of this country. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Buys them time.

Paying jokers like Darcy 450k a year is doing the public a disservice.

• Advertisement

Paying jokers like Darcy 450k a year is doing the public a disservice.

I think we need a good plan to make a PBS to be proud of.
    Slash and burn will not deliver that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No problem with them buying in content, just they buy mostly crap. The good stuff they shun to stupid hours and shrug when noone watches it.

All this while giving Spittle, Amy Huberman and a few selected actors and writers repeated go's in primetime slots.

Why not take a novel approach and give a few different, new faces, a chance on tv. if they don't connect, or work, be ruthless and cut them. They'll learn from it, maybe improve. But constant rewarding of mediocrity doesn't help.

Does it say what use these vehicles are being bought for?

Unless it's to drive Duffy, Tubridy, D'Arcy and Finucane to the dole office, it's a waste of money.

Unless it's to drive Duffy, Tubridy, D'Arcy and Finucane to the dole office, it's a waste of money.

Just by the way would you like to nominate replacements?
    It might move the debate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A spokesman for RTÉ confirmed the vehicles referenced in the tenders are for 2rn staff, a subsidiary company of RTÉ which maintains, manages, and develops all of Ireland's broadcast transmission network.

The spokesman said: "The vehicles referred to allow 2rn's staff to gain rigging and engineering access to the main sites which are distributed throughout the countryside.

"Many of the sites are very remote and require a 4x4 vehicle to access them.

"RTÉ and other broadcasters broadcast from these sites 24 hours a day, seven days a week in all weather conditions.

"Rigging and engineering staff often need to access these sites in the most extreme weather conditions, and for this reason, the appropriate vehicles are required," he added.

Just by the way would you like to nominate replacements?
    It might move the debate on.

The debate can move on when RTE want to stop portraying themselves as a public service broadcaster in desperate need of more money while simultaneously paying outrageous salaries to the above people.

They want the best of both worlds - being a public service broadcaster (which I actually think they're good at and should be supported) and being a commerical one (which they are not in any way good at and should not be supported by public money).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The primary difficulty I'd have with RTE is that it's throwing good money after bad. There's clearly a desire for public service broadcasting in Ireland, particularly around news, current affairs and cultural items that wouldn't get the funding from a purely commercial player. Fine, there's value add there.

The problem is that RTE is a bloated, inefficient, and probably un-reformable public sector quango with well documented problems internally at top and middle ranks of management in terms of getting anything done, having a vision or just generally not being jobsworths at times.

We should be looking at ways to fund the outcomes we want - public funded broadcasting - without needing to prop up the ailing and, frankly, out of touch RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

As soon as the heat comes off Dee starts trying to justify the wages to the ‘stars’.

That tells me that she no intention of doing anything meaningful to reduce costs .

Look at the shambles up to now.......art sale..... disaster
    RTE guide sale.......disaster.
    Attempt to close Lyric....stopped.
    Cut the wages of the ‘stars’...nothing significant happening.

Is she trying to tell us that Darcy Tubridy Wilson are such household names with unique talent which would guarantee better pay and conditions elsewhere?

She is out of touch if she thinks that.

Does she realise RTE as a PS broadcaster practically closes up shop late DEC to early JAN?

The rest of the entertainment and sport world and public transport don’t shut down over Xmas with state subsidies.

I have absolutely no faith in ms Forbes to achieve anything to reduce the impact of issues in RTE.

Even one of the Unions came up with the most practical plan of the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It isn't all about management failures; the RTE unions have a role in this too. No shortage of jobsworths there. Why do you think so many RTE programmes are made by third-party companies? Cheaper, non-union soeasier to work with and, cynically, easier to blame if something goes wrong. In my very, very limited association with film and TV work, the independent companies hate working with RTE permanent staff because of the unions, especially some of the technical staff. Getting a contract to make a show for RTE is regarded as good money but, as one friend in the business said to me, do as much of it as you can yourself without involving RTE staff, as the union rules will kill you. Look what's happened now; the journalists and broadcasters are at each others throats, despite being all in the same NUJ chapter, working in the same offices, eating in the same canteen,etc, all because of the huge payscales given to the top twelve. Dee Forbes has been given a poisoned chalice and she knows it and the politicals are trying to get the boot in, given half the chance.

Advertisement