Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

alfa beta wrote: »
    He was a genius, a hard worker, an entrepreneur (before the word became trendy) and thrifty as hell when it came to watching the pennies.

Sounds like a lot of dads back then. They would have remembered the war, and know what it was like to use straw instead of tubes in bicycles, and also what it was like to make do with what you had. As well as that, things were built without built-in-obsolescence, so repair was a good option, and in most cases, was the only option.

Only thing I'll say is, for a man that watched the pennies, he didn't watch much of them when he bought what would not have been a cheap car, and then just let it sit. There was a lot of pennies in that parking spot. All I know is, my father would most certinaly not have done that. Fair play to your father and his achievements, but very very, VERY few people could afford to do that.

Regardless, my intention is not to take away from any of your post. A car with as little miles as yours is truly unique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Thing is, this car with its back story might be most valuable if it was displayed as-is and never touched!
    (Not that I think it’s the best approach, just might be the most financially rewarding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

OP should give us little crypic pictures of parts of the car each day until the full reveal on Xmas day.

A boards classic car Advent calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/YEJxc1r_dtI

Johnny Smith formerly of 5th gear, similar (ish)
    Situation... Think it might be a 2 part video...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Thing is, this car with its back story might be most valuable if it was displayed as-is and never touched!
    (Not that I think it’s the best approach, just might be the most financially rewarding)

Yeah - I was thinking that recently. I mean, the minute it's registered and used on the road and stuff it just becomes another car .. .albeit an old one. The novelty of it being brand new, untouched and 100% original is what's interesting about it. Perhaps I should get two 'FOR REG' plates made and keep it that way. Just focus on getting it running and not worry about the tax/reg side of things.

• Advertisement

Such a fascinating story. If you ever get weary of the ordeal I would gladly buy it as is and try to get it on the road myself. Have you any idea which 504 model it is L or GL etc. Obviously you know the colour and seat trim?

It's black with a lightish brown leather interior as far as I remember (but I'm only going by memory as I haven't uncovered it in a few years).

Don't know what model it is, just that it's a diesel car, which I guess wouldn't have been too common in Ireland in 1976.

Will be in a position to have a look at the car some evening this week so will post photos :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yeah - I was thinking that recently. I mean, the minute it's registered and used on the road and stuff it just becomes another car .. .albeit an old one. The novelty of it being brand new, untouched and 100% original is what's interesting about it. Perhaps I should get two 'FOR REG' plates made and keep it that way. Just focus on getting it running and not worry about the tax/reg side of things.
    Or as used to be the case here, FOR REG scribbled across the plate position.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Surprising what still survives !

My father had one back in the day , a white LD ,1.9 diesel afaik , b*tch to start !

Really like your thinking in the above post , it's very likely unique as an unused RHD car , would be a pity to put miles on it. A very low miles car is different , adding a few miles wouldn't matter too much.

Clean it , wax the original paint & preserve it , perhaps wax injection in cavities to make sure no rust works its way out.

Be sure & take pics of it amongst the "clutter" & more as it's uncovered :)

Transport it to a few shows perhaps (rope it off !) with display cards giving the back story to the car , bio of your father & photos too. Definitely would generate lots of interest.

It would be interesting to research the supplying dealership for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I am sure some Peugeot dealer would love it for a showroom display car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

He was a genius, a hard worker, an entrepreneur (before the word became trendy)

Gosh OP - sorry for your loss, but your story sounds like a life well lived.

And got me to thinking about my Dad.....still with us, but Def a man of his own mind. He too is....eccentric. ....and inclined to collect all manner of stuff. Cars, farm machinery, etc. Last time I checked there were.....22 cars at home.....originally a boat builder and carpenter he went through lots of phases. ...and he plays music as well. We, my generation, really haven't a fraction of the talent our parents had: much of theirs learned by economic necessity.

He lives frugally, has no interest in creature comforts. He buys cars no one wants, cos he likes them. S-Class. 7-Series. LS400. etc etc. He bought an 02 540i a while ago. "Why?" I asked......."because I've always wanted to see the inside of a V8" came the reply....

He's why I'm a petrol head. And builder. And.....everything else..

Must pop over again. Mustn't leave things unsaid. Life's too short.

I'll deal with the collection when the time is right.

Thanks for the reminder.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Must pop over again. Mustn't leave things unsaid. Life's too short.

That's lovely Galwaytt.

I never thought my post would turn in to an 'Eccentric Dad Appreciation' thread, but I'm glad it has. It seems there were (and still are in your case) quite a few geniuses, nut jobs, and hoarders out there. I think we owe it to them to uphold their legacy into the future by ignoring logic and rationale, hanging onto as much junk as we possibly can and trying to fix things wherever even vaguely feasible.

Do that, and I'm pretty sure there'll be a few ould fellas smiling down on us :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ignoring logic and rationale, hanging onto as much junk as we possibly can and trying to fix things wherever even vaguely feasible.
    Welcome to my life. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Isambard wrote: »
    my bet is that a 1976 car would have been "FOR REG" and a number allocated. How you find out, I don't know.

Prior to the introduction of VRT a new car did not get a Reg number until it was taxed for the 1st time. Many people got the Dealer to Tax their new car prior to collection, and consequently it had a number when they picked it up. Many didn't ;).

The Beauty of driving around with "For Reg" was that you were avoiding Motor Tax (at least until some Guard decided you were taking the p!ss, and threatened to Fine you).

If the OP's Father's Car does not have number plates then it's probable that it was never registered and does not have a number assigned to it. As already mentioned this technically makes it a 'new' car and it is subject to VRT if the OP wishes to register it.

So would that make it a 201 car if it was registered for the first time next year ..?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Whatever About it being unregistered, I’d say all duties and vat were paid at the time .
    There was no way to fiddle the system out of import duties.
    This happened because cars weren’t released from the docks without everything paid upfront ,unlike now where dealer pays the vrt upon registration.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Markcheese wrote: »
    So would that make it a 201 car if it was registered for the first time next year ..?

No. It would get an age-related plate.

This was the case with this truck which ran on trade plates and was unregistered for years.

4842000660_d2ed6bac0b_c.jpg
    [IRL]Wm McGuinness Mercedes Benz ZV 2940 by truck_photos, on Flickr

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64191724#post64191724

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

And here was I thinking I had the rarest and lowest mileage 504 in the country.....🀪

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Long time, no post there Dave! :D

Nice of you to drop in and post that. Excuse me while I pop down to the shops for a Caramac.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can't wait to see photos of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

This is interesting I also can't wait to see it. Anyone hazzard a guess on it value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

macplaxton wrote: »
    Long time, no post there Dave! :D

Nice of you to drop in and post that. Excuse me while I pop down to the shops for a Caramac.

It’s been awhile, years infant, moderatorships revoked and all . Nice to see some familiar names still here.
    Looking forward to pics of the OPs car. Stuff like that is always intriguing.

I assume the tyres will be shot , the brakes probably seized ,and maybe a few rubber items under the bonnet perished, but other than that it should be more or less perfect ?? , I mean under cloths in a dry shed ,so completely away from rain and sun , and presumably put away before it had any chance to start rusting or corroding ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

apologies everyone for delay in posting pics - life tends to get in the way of the best laid plans! - will have some up here by Tuesday evening though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

apologies everyone for delay in posting pics - life tends to get in the way of the best laid plans! - will have some up here by Tuesday evening though :-)

I'm sitting here staring at this thread refreshing every few minutes since 6 o'clock. Still nothing I'm not angry Alfa beta, I'm just disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steam iron

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dear God! This alfa beta lad is a marketing genius. The car will be worth a fortune with all the hype this thread is generating.:pac:
    There'll be lads fighting over it.:D:D

Reminds me of the old 'Big ED loves Mona' ad campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think he is having us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭con747

How long does it take to walk out to your shed with a camera.............

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 greencoat

mickdw wrote: »
    I think he is having us on.[/Q

follow thread

Advertisement