Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Speeding is easy, it's a quantitative measurement. But a lot of the bad driving would be qualitative, surely? Would need a human watching the camera to spot the idiocy and flag it?

Its done elsewhere. Start with reviewing accidents; hammer the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

First Up wrote: »
    If you took a few lessons or paid attention to the RSA tv ads you might even learn how to avoid accidents. Breakdowns happen but a hefty fine and towing charge would discourage people with clapped out bangers from taking them on the M50.

I await your solution for the congestion. In the meantime, why not minimise the problem by an education and enforcement campaign to change the behaviour that causes accidents?
    Ah okay so its only bangers that break down not the vast vast majority of cars on the road which have passed their NCT of are too new to need it. You should be the minister for transport the way you cut through the BS and get straight to the heart of the issues. Like how you solved the issue of traffic accidents on the most overcrowded road in the country by suggesting people not have accidents then solved the issue of cars breaking down by telling people not to drive cars that break down.

And I already solved the congestion issue, I used your methodology, we just have to tell people not to drive on congested roads remember? Forget about public transport or provision of cycling infrastructure to relieve congestion or any of that eurotrash, it's all the traffic accidents that are the problem, people just aren't doing what you tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

And I'm sure you will be happy to pay the higher taxes needed to pay for it.

We could also encourage improved driver behaviour for almost no cost but I suppose that is much too hard.

I would be happy to pay higher taxes if I got an appropriate level PT and for example health service in this country.

It's not one or the other, which you are implying, it's education and providing an alternative.

tom1ie wrote:
    It's not one or the other, which you are implying, it's education and providing an alternative.

I'm implying no such thing. Of course we need to address many things but providing an alternative to an orbital motorway is neither simple or quick and it certainly isn't cheap.

But we could greatly improve the effectiveness of the current infrastructure by using it properly. I'm curious why such a straightforward point arouses such hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Speeding is easy, it's a quantitative measurement. But a lot of the bad driving would be qualitative, surely? Would need a human watching the camera to spot the idiocy and flag it?

I'd argue that most of the congestion causing driver behaviour isn't even close to being an enforceable offense.

Breaking too early when the car in front slows? Not enforceable.

Merging without being at full speed? Not enforceable.

Middle lane hogging? Mostly unenforceable, usually not even close to illegal. Definitely not enforceable with fixed cameras.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote:
    Breaking too early when the car in front slows? Not enforceable.
    No, but running into the rear of the car in front is. The responsibility is with the car behind, same as everywhere else.
    MJohnston wrote:
    Merging without being at full speed? Not enforceable.
    The speed of merging is a judgement call.
    MJohnston wrote:
    Middle lane hogging? Mostly unenforceable, usually not even close to illegal. Definitely not enforceable with fixed cameras.

I've heard of cops on bikes pulling lane hoggers over but its rare unfortunately. Its an education thing mostly; RSA run a TV ad but not often enough obviously!

No, but running into the rear of the car in front is. The responsibility is with the car behind, same as everywhere else.

The speed of merging is a judgement call.

I've heard of cops on bikes pulling lane hoggers over but its rare unfortunately. Its an education thing mostly; RSA run a TV ad but not often enough obviously!

But my point is that these things are likely causing the vast majority of congestion on the M50, or at least the congestion that isn’t caused by congestion on exit routes.

And so, again we come back to the prime issue - you won’t solve M50 congestion with increased enforcement.

MJohnston wrote:
    But my point is that these things are likely causing the vast majority of congestion on the M50, or at least the congestion that isn’t caused by congestion on exit routes.

I described two recent journeys; one to Clondalkin that took 25 minutes and one to Lucan that took one hour 45. Same time of evening (6.30), same amount of traffic. Only difference was accidents on one and none on the other.

There will always be congestion at peak times but gridlock only occurs with accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But we could greatly improve the effectiveness of the current infrastructure by using it properly. I'm curious why such a straightforward point arouses such hostility.
    So, lets start with:
    • Stopping at red lights.
    • Not driving in bus lanes ("because I'm turning left 2km ahead").
    • Staying off yellow boxes*.
    • Not blocking junctions in a tailback.
    • Not parking on footpaths.
    • Not driving on footpaths.
    • Not parking on cycleways.
    • Not driving on cycleways.
    • Not parking in hard shoulders.
    • Not driving in hard shoulders.
    • Maintaining a safe distance to the vehicle in front.
    • Using merge lanes correctly.
    • Watching the road instead of your phone.
    • Changing lanes in good time.
    • Changing lanes safely with good observation.

I suspect much of the 'hostility' arises from some posters' refusal/inability to understand that private cars are the most inefficient use of limited commuting space and that an insistance that the solution lies in improving the motorway is the only way forward.

*Interestingly, I pretty much never see people stopped in the yellow boxes at railway crossings. I wonder why? Maybe it's because they know there are consequences...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cdaly_ wrote: »
    *Interestingly, I pretty much never see people stopped in the yellow boxes at railway crossings. I wonder why? Maybe it's because they know there are consequences...
    Hah!

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1200351340976844800
    https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1200420004593885184

Twice today!...

• Advertisement

I described two recent journeys; one to Clondalkin that took 25 minutes and one to Lucan that took one hour 45. Same time of evening (6.30), same amount of traffic. Only difference was accidents on one and none on the other.

There will always be congestion at peak times but gridlock only occurs with accidents.

How do you know that was the only difference? From the one difference that you yourself witnessed? That's not enough to state that it's the *only* difference.

Fundamentally, you are simply wrong to say that gridlock only occurs with accidents. Among other sources of gridlock I can think of are:
    * breakdowns (in fact, I'd warrant that this is a far more frequent contributor to gridlock on M50 than accidents)
    * random road debris
    * accordion congestion (https://www.vox.com/2014/11/24/7276027/traffic jam)
    * congestion on exit roads off the M50
    * low-visibility congestion due to heavy rain, fog, etc.

Again we come back to this simple fact - the M50 is usually operating at or above maximum capacity. Any approach that doesn't take cars off of the road and keep them off will not solve this problem. I'm confident that's as close to outright fact as an opinion can get.

MJohnston wrote:
    How do you know that was the only difference? From the one difference that you yourself witnessed? That's not enough to state that it's the *only* difference.

Because the accidents were both reported on the radio. Nothing else was.

Because the accidents were both reported on the radio. Nothing else was.

I...don't...are you...seriously?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

maybe planners will need/be able to design roads with a lane only for vehicles with more than 1 occupant.

the number if single occupant cars is a symptom of of dire public transport/unwillingness of many to engage with the one we already have/and a desire to seal ourselves away from the world behind our car doors.

A lot of new roads built between Grange Castle and Newcastle recently. Clearly they were done to support the developement of business parks in the area. But with only single lane traffic. Should have been designed and produced with Bus Lanes in mind, to assist with commuting, but didn't.

How are we meant to get around, if the IDA, Councils and Transport Planners are not willing to set up effective infrastructure to support it? Especially when they've nothing in place preventing them from doing it!

A postscript to the recent exchanges;
    I used the M50 from Stillorgan to Lucan at 18.30 last evening. No accidents and traffic flowed freely. I saw a small queue at the exit for the N7 but nothing serious. My total journey time about 30-35 minutes.

The lesson - cut out the stupid accidents and the M50 will do the job it was built for.

18:30 is a bit late in the day to be using as anecdotal evidence of M50 peak operation.

MJohnston wrote:
    18:30 is a bit late in the day to be using as anecdotal evidence of M50 peak operation.

There was lots of traffic. Most of the long delays I've experienced have been between 18.30 and 19.30

Naw, the evening peak is between 1530 and 1830 according to TIIs data:
    https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/strategic-planning/nra-road-network-indicators/TII-National-Roads-Network-Indicators-2018.pdf

And the specific peak is sometime around 5pm, as you'd expect. Traffic after 1800 drops significantly from that peak.

MJohnston wrote:
    And the specific peak is sometime around 5pm, as you'd expect. Traffic after 1800 drops significantly from that peak.

So what accounted for the one hour + tailbacks I've endured 18.30 -19.00?

So what accounted for the one hour + tailbacks I've endured 18.30 -19.00?

Traffic.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote:
    Traffic.

But you said traffic eases considerably by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

No, he was referring to the hard data gathered by the NRA/TII as linked above https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/strategic-planning/nra-road-network-indicators/TII-National-Roads-Network-Indicators-2018.pdf see page 15

its not an opinion its a fact.

trellheim wrote:
    No, he was referring to the hard data gathered by the NRA/TII as linked above

Which says there is less traffic after 18.30 which is fair enough. This was offered to explain why I was able to make a journey in 35 minutes last evening. But when I described the same journey at the same hour and same volume of cars taking 90-115 minutes, the explanation offered was "traffic".

Which says there is less traffic after 18.30 which is fair enough. This was offered to explain why I was able to make a journey in 35 minutes last evening. But when I described the same journey at the same hour and same volume of cars taking 90-115 minutes, the explanation offered was "traffic".

I'm not sure what's tricky about this? There's lots of traffic at 1830. There's even more traffic at 1700.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's tricky about this? There's lots of traffic at 1830. There's even more traffic at 1700.

You seem to be finding it tricky to explain what changes a journey from 35 minutes to 115 under the same time, road and traffic volume conditions.

You seem to be finding it tricky to explain what changes a journey from 35 minutes to 115 under the same time, road and traffic volume conditions.

No, what's tricky is you seem to think it could only be caused by a single thing.

MJohnston wrote:
    No, what's tricky is you seem to think it could only be caused by a single thing.

You can nominate as many possible causes as you can dream up.

I have instanced journeys that took me 35 minutes and as long as 115 minutes. One difference between those journeys was no accidents on the former and one or more accidents on the latter.

I find that a fairly strong causal relationship but your alternative theories are welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not that accidents cause congestion, and that's the end of it.
    accidents cause congestion, but congestion causes accidents. of course the traffic was more free flowing when there were no accidents, that's a trivial statement. it's just that an accident will cause congestion, no question about it, but congestion causing accidents is more of a probability than a definite.

it's not that accidents cause congestion, and that's the end of it. accidents cause congestion, but congestion causes accidents. of course the traffic was more free flowing when there were no accidents, that's a trivial statement. it's just that an accident will cause congestion, no question about it, but congestion causing accidents is more of a probability than a definite.

How does congestion cause accidents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

How does congestion cause accidents?

This question asked in a thread about the M50, ladies and gentlemen.

Advertisement